Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Career Defining Performances

Read 443 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Career Defining Performances
      Jan 07, 2024 09:49:42 pm
      We haven't had a new topic in here for a while I don't think and this evening a performance just popped into my head that got my thinking.

What would you class as an actors career defining performance?

That one role that they nail, or shows their range, ability and them at the height of their craft. I'm sure maybe some have more then one but I'd say most have that one performance that stands up above the others and sticks in the memory.

The one that popped into my head was Edward Norton in American History X.

I always think about this from time to time. A very powerful movie and Norton had it all in this. The menace and physicality as the skinhead Neo Nazi but you also seen the softer side when he was out ift prison trying to reform and keep his brother out of trouble. The flashbacks showed him earlier in some scenes as 'younger' and developing this racist ideals and again Norton showed another side to this character as the vulnerable teenager getting influenced.

He's a fantastic actor anyway and has some great roles over the years but for me this always stands out as him at his peak.

https://youtu.be/Tr5zvuYGKyg?si=Gh3hCMZ0NY6y3_1_

Great to hear anymore thoughts.

« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2024 11:37:34 pm by srslfc »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,061 posts | 2109 
      Re: Career Defining Performances
      Reply #1: Jan 10, 2024 09:48:42 pm
      It may not be his most famous role but Jeff Bridges in Fearless is up there with one of my favourite ever performances. Every Jeff Bridges film I watch I compare it to that one. The Big Lebowski? Nah - it's Fearless. So, for me personally, Fearless is his defining one. Criminally underrated film and another masterpiece from Peter Weir (who often gets the best performances out of his actors)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQsybvRBy2Q
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 833 posts | 298 
      Reply #2: Jan 10, 2024 11:28:47 pm
      It may not be his most famous role but Jeff Bridges in Fearless is up there with one of my favourite ever performances. Every Jeff Bridges film I watch I compare it to that one. The Big Lebowski? Nah - it's Fearless. So, for me personally, Fearless is his defining one. Criminally underrated film and another masterpiece from Peter Weir (who often gets the best performances out of his actors)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQsybvRBy2Q

Very good film but not watched it in a long time so I'm not sure if it's a career defining role. He was great in the Big Lebowski, hard to beat that. The dude abides.

My 2-

Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker, he did nothing else that comes close.

Richard E Grant in Withnail and I
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,061 posts | 2109 
      Reply #3: Jan 11, 2024 06:01:47 pm
      Very good film but not watched it in a long time so I'm not sure if it's a career defining role. He was great in the Big Lebowski, hard to beat that. The dude abides.

My 2-

Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker, he did nothing else that comes close.

Richard E Grant in Withnail and I

Ah but that's my own personal opinion. It is the one that sets him apart for me.

The Dude's overrated in comparison. :D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #4: Feb 02, 2024 05:54:09 pm
      Leonardo Di Caprio

Jordan Belforte

I've been a huge fan of his since he was a kid and think even though he's been around for ages still think he's a little underrated as an actor. Possibly since around the Titanic time where he was seen as just a pretty boy movie star.

For me though his defining role is in The Wolf of Wall Street. This has it all with comedic moments, monologues, fourth wall straight to camera and a guy on top of his game.

The scene where he drives the Lamborghini home, the boat scene with Kyle Chandler's FBI agent and the many scenes with his screen Dad Rob Reiner I think this shows Leo at his finest

https://youtu.be/LRqiygsKtRo?si=_aVglswYCMAase5N
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #5: Mar 09, 2024 09:49:55 pm
      I know he’s seen as a bit of a repetitive action star these days, but I watched one of my favourite movies a few days ago again

A few good men

Tom cruise performance in that reminds you just why he was such a huge star in his earlier career. Brilliant performance opposite a legendary performance by Jack Nicholson. Always think it must take some massive balls to act (and do it well) opposite someone with a legend behind them like Nicholson’s. 

Quick Reply