Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Fulham?

Caoimhin Kelleher
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      2 (2.8%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Ibrahima Konaté
      1 (1.4%)
      Conor Bradley
      27 (38%)
      Alexis Mac Allister
      1 (1.4%)
      Ryan Gravenberch
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      25 (35.2%)
      Luis Diaz
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      0 (0%)
      Diogo Jota
      9 (12.7%)
      Darwin Núñez
      4 (5.6%)
      Cody Gakpo
      2 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Voting closed: Jan 14, 2024 09:53:12 pm

Liverpool 2-1 Fulham: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 8296 times
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,487 posts | 218 
      Re: Liverpool 2-1 Fulham: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #368: Jan 11, 2024 10:49:44 am
      Lost 10 of 11 duels in the first half

He just needs to adapt, he is a lot of talent and it’s clear to see but give him a proper pre season and time with klopp. We will see us best next season imo

He’s come from barely playing at bayern into the lions den in a much more competitive league
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,546 posts | 1777 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #369: Jan 11, 2024 11:05:26 am
      One good run and nifty turn put him in but he dragged his shot just wide. To be fair this in and out, mostly out is not conducive so he gets the benefit from me.

Agreed.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #370: Jan 11, 2024 01:28:22 pm
      Quite a close MOTM poll.  Both had good games.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,338 posts | 6389 
      Reply #371: Jan 11, 2024 01:42:10 pm
      Wow...so totally whiffed and thought this game was today. Guess I'll have a peek back through the thread to relive it ;D Damnit!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,021 posts | 3352 
      Reply #372: Jan 11, 2024 02:01:08 pm
      No Mo, no Endo, no problemo.

Another game where we've had to show our fighting qualities and have come through once again with flying colours. Wasn't the convincing 4-0 win we would of wanted to make the second leg irrelevant but it's a win to take to Craven Cottage and the truth is, I don't fancy Fulham to beat us so we're all but booked in Wembley as far as I'm concerned.

A weakened team due to enforced changes and they still couldn't get the job done against us. Even when our skipper has his worst half for about six months, they still couldn't get the job done against us. Even when we played into their hands, they couldn't get the job done against us. And even when yet another blatant handball gets turned down against us, they couldn't get the job done.

Proud day for Academy as well with a couple of lads who've come through the ranks shining brightest last night.

2024 - three matches, three different competitions, three wins. Can't argue with that.

Kelleher - a solid game from the Irishman, couldn't do much with the goal. When he was called into action, he was up to the challenge. He really seems to enjoy this competition.

Bradley - F***ing immense young man. Couple of us were talking this lad up in the summer when people said we had to go out and sign a right back, and while a good 20 minutes against Arsenal and a man of the match performance last night doesn't prove he's the next Phil Neal, it certainly doesn't hurt his chances either. Should have an assist to his name but Nunez couldn't finish thanks to a good save from Leno.

Konate - pretty sure I read someone blaming him for every Fulham chance, well F**k me I watched a different game then. He was an absolute beast again in the game I watched. His pace and strength is top drawer. He's commanding and starting to become a real leader back there.

Van Dijk - had a poor first half but second half he put that right and was looking as good as he has done in recent weeks. I'm not worried by the first half performance because he did put it right so quickly.

Gomez - didn't get his goal but he's still trying. Good effort from just outside the box. Got caught out of position a couple of times but this is what I meant by playing into their hands. Their gameplan was to soak up the pressure and hit us on the break, we allowed them to do that by pushing our entire back line into their half. But Joe put in another good performance at left back.

Gravenberch - his form is becoming a worry now. He started to show signs of himself at the start of the second half but he's been really poor for a while now. I get he's in and out the team as well as maybe still not fully fit following the hamstring injury he got against United. There was a time earlier in the season where I felt he was the first name of the midfield three for me but that's not the case now. Hopefully he can refind that form he showed earlier on in the season.

Mac Allister - I don't recall anything he did in the game other than take most set pieces, which I think really highlights how Fulham played. Our central midfielder was in a bit of no-mans land for the game. They didn't really play through us so he didn't have to do much defending and they sat so deep that he couldn't really play the ball into dangerous areas. All he could do really was lay it off to the nearest Red shirt and hope for magic from elsewhere.

Jones - ran his bollocks off and got himself another goal. Kept it all fairly simple and it was effective. A bit like Mac Allister, the way Fulham set up prevented us from being overly creative. But Jones has the ability to go past a couple of players with his dribbling skills as we saw last night.

Elliott - it looked like the jeers from the away fans really got to him because he seemed intent on making something happen and unfortunately he didn't. I like Harvey as a midfielder but when he plays further forward he doesn't have the same effect on games. Was no surprise to see him brought off.

Jota - looked the most likely to score of anyone in Red and certainly improved when the subs came on. His fitness will be key for the run in.

Diaz - had one of his quieter games in recent weeks but like many others I think that was more to how Fulham set up. No space for him to go on his dazzling runs.

Gakpo - lovely taken goal, which makes him our joint second goalscorer this season along with Jota on nine goals. Three in his last six appearances, proving his quality in front of goal. His introduction, alongside Nunez, really gave us a kick up the arse and got us going. Be interesting to see who Jürgen goes with as his front three in the next couple of games.

Nunez - causes havoc whenever he's on the pitch. He may not be the most clinical but he creates space for others to exploit. Defenders know he needs marking. And it's one more option for Jürgen to choose from.

Overall, it's a good win under difficult circumstances. It gives us an advantage going into the second leg, it keeps our good form up and it's a big chance for us to win our tenth League Cup.

And this big month everyone was talking about is starting to look like it's gonna be a very good one for us.

Well in Reds.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,294 posts | 1403 
      Reply #373: Jan 11, 2024 02:27:10 pm
      One of the issues with Maca is that he just doesn't receive it well in tight situations, mostly off the back 4. Not always instant control and has lost possession a number of times in dangerous areas. He is quite easily barged or bullied off it.

Doesn't show for the ball off the back 4 enough, which leads to Kon and VVD interchanging numerous times. Drifts about in a ponderous fashion. Yes he's cool sometimes and looking for the through ball but it just seems to lack real urgency.

Has to go out and make his mark on games, but sometimes looks like a slow motion version of Hendo. Fully fit squad and he's on the bench for me.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,250 posts | 924 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #374: Jan 11, 2024 07:27:59 pm
      Got to stop giving away the first goal, thought we played well second half, just a pity we didn’t get the third
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,345 posts | 1532 
      Reply #375: Jan 12, 2024 10:32:59 am
      One of the issues with Maca is that he just doesn't receive it well in tight situations, mostly off the back 4. Not always instant control and has lost possession a number of times in dangerous areas. He is quite easily barged or bullied off it.

Doesn't show for the ball off the back 4 enough, which leads to Kon and VVD interchanging numerous times. Drifts about in a ponderous fashion. Yes he's cool sometimes and looking for the through ball but it just seems to lack real urgency.

Has to go out and make his mark on games, but sometimes looks like a slow motion version of Hendo. Fully fit squad and he's on the bench for me.

Probably due to the opposition applying a high press, and he's outnumbered. Very little space to operate in a lot of the time. When he does have space, I think he does ok. Often receiving the ball from the defence and turning into space or turning the man marking him. When he's on the ball, he's always looking to go forwards rather than sideways and backwards like Hendo did for most of the time. And I think he's only gonna get better with  time, but maybe not as a 6.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #376: Jan 12, 2024 10:38:18 am
      Wow...so totally whiffed and thought this game was today. Guess I'll have a peek back through the thread to relive it ;D Damnit!

Similarly mistaken but caught the 2nd half, from reports didn’t miss much!
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,298 posts | 765 
      Reply #377: Jan 12, 2024 11:40:58 am
      Despite injuries and absentees through international duties players pulling together and producing results. Looks well for rest of the season.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #378: Jan 13, 2024 04:11:55 pm
      Anyone mentioned Bradley's performance yet. Was superb playing at right back.

Gravenberch looked a bit lost and Elliott couldn't really get into the game. Klopp getting the subs right again.

Nice goal  from Willian from then, excellent feet. Always felt we'd turnaround the scoreline. Excellent build up for Cody's finish. Tight lead going down there, but we should make the final.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6741 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #379: Jan 13, 2024 09:59:44 pm
      Anyone mentioned Bradley's performance yet. Was superb playing at right back.

Na  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #380: Jan 19, 2024 01:56:27 pm
      Quote from Harrisimo
      I'll never have a pop at Nunez. He gives everything. Real Liverpool spirit. Box office.He'll play a vital role here. And the goals will come.

When will they come? 18 months in and still nowhere near enough goals to justify the amount we paid for him. Add in the amount of sitters he misses, the frequent careless wastes of possession on the pitch, and his refusal to speak any English off the pitch to us, means I'm losing patience with him. He was signed as a finisher, so ultimately he has to do that. One goal every 10-15 games is not box office material. As for Gravenberch, he's turning into the next Keita imo. I just don't see what he adds to this side at all.

I think we should have enough to get to the final, and therefore get the Luton home game postponed. I say should because, I was absolutely outraged beforehand that because one of the pub league teams don't use VAR in their games, meant we were deprived of seeing the benefits of it as well. :f_steam: Mercifully the worst we've experienced so far, is a blatant penalty appeal instantly dismissed, and a yellow card given to the opposition for a case of mistaken identity. But the threat still exists of the whole campaign decided by a penalty for a dive or alternatively another Diaz offside howler called on the pitch. :f_steam:

This is supposed to be a major competition, so treat it like one. The travelling Kop paying out small fortunes to attend the return leg on a freezing night in mid January, do not deserve our fate to be settled by a ref howler against us, in this day and age.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #381: Jan 20, 2024 12:54:59 pm
      When will they come? 18 months in and still nowhere near enough goals to justify the amount we paid for him. Add in the amount of sitters he misses, the frequent careless wastes of possession on the pitch, and his refusal to speak any English off the pitch to us, means I'm losing patience with him. He was signed as a finisher, so ultimately he has to do that. One goal every 10-15 games is not box office material. As for Gravenberch, he's turning into the next Keita imo. I just don't see what he adds to this side at all.

I think we should have enough to get to the final, and therefore get the Luton home game postponed. I say should because, I was absolutely outraged beforehand that because one of the pub league teams don't use VAR in their games, meant we were deprived of seeing the benefits of it as well. :f_steam: Mercifully the worst we've experienced so far, is a blatant penalty appeal instantly dismissed, and a yellow card given to the opposition for a case of mistaken identity. But the threat still exists of the whole campaign decided by a penalty for a dive or alternatively another Diaz offside howler called on the pitch. :f_steam:

This is supposed to be a major competition, so treat it like one. The travelling Kop paying out small fortunes to attend the return leg on a freezing night in mid January, do not deserve our fate to be settled by a ref howler against us, in this day and age.

The travelling kop hate VAR just saying. Know your own fanbase, dickhead!!

How's your Kelleher is better than Ali point going?
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #382: Jan 24, 2024 03:26:15 pm
      Quote from HUYTON RED
      The travelling kop hate VAR just saying. Know your own fanbase

As the chant goes, what a load of rubbish.

They apparently "hate" it so much, that they were dancing in the stands when Diaz had that goal disallowed at Spurs, instead of spewing about it incessantly on every possible outlet, for the following week. Then they were delighted when we didn't get that penalty against Arsenal that may have been scored, instead of still spewing about it. And then accepting the ref not giving the neighbours a penalty in 2022 was an honest mistake, rather than still spewing all this time later, that it's evidence of a systematic, pre meditated, manc ref conspiracy against us, that cost us our second double with 9 league games  remaining.

We get a winner wrongly disallowed for offside, or a decisive goal given that is 5 yards offside on tonight and the travelling Kop will be fully justified in complaining about why there's no VAR. This is a League Cup semi final in a stadium already fully equipped to use it, so there's no excuse why we can't have it. :f_steam: You either do it right or do what you like.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #383: Jan 24, 2024 03:53:24 pm
      As the chant goes, what a load of rubbish. .

Really?

Know anyone who goes the aways? I do!! And a lot of the opinions of the people I know who still follow the club on the rosd are similar to mine, VAR is F***ing sh*t.

I used to do a lot of aways, jibbed it now, but still know a lot of people who travel to watch the Reds.

So what is a load of rubbish you lying divvy?
      They apparently "hate" it so much, that they were dancing in the stands when Diaz had that goal disallowed at Spurs, instead of spewing about it incessantly on every possible outlet, for the following week. Then they were delighted when we didn't get that penalty against Arsenal that may have been scored, instead of still spewing about it. And then accepting the ref not giving the neighbours a penalty in 2022 was an honest mistake, rather than still spewing all this time later, that it's evidence of a systematic, pre meditated, manc ref conspiracy against us, that cost us our second double with 9 league games  remaining.

Are you F***ing stupid or just a tw*t? I felt the same F***ing way, do you think I was dancing about the Diaz decision?

Seriously get back to telling everyone how Kelleher is better than Ali!! That F***ing sums up your level of knowledge.

We get a winner wrongly disallowed for offside, or a decisive goal given that is 5 yards offside on tonight and the travelling Kop will be fully justified in complaining about why there's no VAR. This is a League Cup semi final in a stadium already fully equipped to use it, so there's no excuse why we can't have it. :f_steam: You either do it right or do what you like.

It's not used in the semi's because it was not installed at Boro. That's the reason given you pompous dickhead , look it up.

lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #384: Jan 24, 2024 06:51:27 pm
      Quote from HUYTON RED
      Really?

I used to do a lot of aways, jibbed it now, but still know a lot of people who travel to watch the Reds.
       I felt the same way, do you think I was dancing about the Diaz decision?

It's not used in the semi's because it was not installed at Boro. That's the reason given.

I don't need you to tell me the reason given, thanks. It's a disgrace. The T&C of this competition is, VAR is used in the semi finals. So get it installed in time or hold the game somewhere else. We risk going out tonight because the rules of the competition were changed at the last minute. :f_steam: And even if we don't, it's no defence. Either do it right like every serious cup competition does, or do what you like.

I'm sure most of the people you know who do the aways, were disgusted that VAR wasn't used for Diaz. The incident reminded everyone why it's needed, and why I demand it.

You can't do the aways if you haven't done them the year before. And the year before. And the year before that etc. That rules out most people. You have to attend 19 aways the previous season, if you want the trek to Bournemouth in a storm in the middle of winter. Everyone else has to stay at home.

Quick Reply