Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Pre-Match: Bournemouth V Liverpool 21st Jan 16:30

Read 3110 times
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,710 posts | 3717 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Pre-Match: Bournemouth V Liverpool 21st Jan 16:30
      Jan 19, 2024 08:31:26 am

Bournemouth’s great run to finish 2023 made its way into 2024 when they came from 2-0 down to beat Queens Park Rangers 3-2 in their FA Cup third-round tie. Andoni Iraola’s men will now aim to begin this year's Premier League in similarly positive fashion, having won an incredible six of their last eight completed top-flight matches (D1, L1).

Those 19 points were the most that any Premier League outfit secured in that period - one more than upcoming opponents Liverpool. However, that’s about the only aspect where Bournemouth have got the better of their visitors this season as they aim to avoid losing a third game against them in 2023/24 after defeat in the league and EFL Cup. Confidence of doing so is bound to be low considering the Cherries have lost each of their nine Premier League encounters against teams starting the day as table toppers.

Still, Liverpool will be wary of their hosts going unbeaten in their fifth straight home league match (W3, D1), underlining that a ninth win in ten league H2Hs isn’t a certainty (L1). The Reds have looked particularly menacing recently though, having begun the year with a victory in each of the three domestic competitions.

At the start of that streak was a record-breaking 4-2 triumph over Newcastle United as Liverpool amassed an xG of 7.27 according to Opta - the highest such figure by a side in a Premier League game since the statistic was first used in 2010/11! Mohamed Salah - now on international duty - helped them over the line in that Newcastle game, but Liverpool fans may not miss him as much as they would have feared, as they’re interestingly unbeaten in the ten top-flight matches he’s missed since joining the club (W7, D3).

Players to watch: Dominic Solanke will look to haunt his old employers by becoming the first Bournemouth player to net in four consecutive Premier League home games.

Liverpool may gift Luis Díaz a 50th Premier League outing in a fixture he seems to enjoy, having scored three times in his two previous appearances against Bournemouth.

Hot stat: Liverpool substitutes have contributed 30 goal involvements in all competitions this term - the most of any Premier League side.

NB: Team no longer available
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,546 posts | 1093 
      Re: Pre-Match: Bournemouth V Liverpool 21st Jan 16:30
      Reply #1: Jan 19, 2024 08:53:58 am

Bournemouth’s great run to finish 2023 made its way into 2024 when they came from 2-0 down to beat Queens Park Rangers 3-2 in their FA Cup third-round tie. Andoni Iraola’s men will now aim to begin this year's Premier League in similarly positive fashion, having won an incredible six of their last eight completed top-flight matches (D1, L1).

Those 19 points were the most that any Premier League outfit secured in that period - one more than upcoming opponents Liverpool. However, that’s about the only aspect where Bournemouth have got the better of their visitors this season as they aim to avoid losing a third game against them in 2023/24 after defeat in the league and EFL Cup. Confidence of doing so is bound to be low considering the Cherries have lost each of their nine Premier League encounters against teams starting the day as table toppers.

Still, Liverpool will be wary of their hosts going unbeaten in their fifth straight home league match (W3, D1), underlining that a ninth win in ten league H2Hs isn’t a certainty (L1). The Reds have looked particularly menacing recently though, having begun the year with a victory in each of the three domestic competitions.

At the start of that streak was a record-breaking 4-2 triumph over Newcastle United as Liverpool amassed an xG of 7.27 according to Opta - the highest such figure by a side in a Premier League game since the statistic was first used in 2010/11! Mohamed Salah - now on international duty - helped them over the line in that Newcastle game, but Liverpool fans may not miss him as much as they would have feared, as they’re interestingly unbeaten in the ten top-flight matches he’s missed since joining the club (W7, D3).

Players to watch: Dominic Solanke will look to haunt his old employers by becoming the first Bournemouth player to net in four consecutive Premier League home games.

Liverpool may gift Luis Díaz a 50th Premier League outing in a fixture he seems to enjoy, having scored three times in his two previous appearances against Bournemouth.

Hot stat: Liverpool substitutes have contributed 30 goal involvements in all competitions this term - the most of any Premier League side.

I'd go with Diaz on the right, Jota left and Gakpo in false 9 tbh mate. If nunez starts I'd put him left, Diaz right and Diogo central.

Just need to get out of there with 3 points anyway we can. We can't afford a slip up before city come to anfield.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,710 posts | 3717 
      Reply #2: Jan 19, 2024 09:04:19 am
      I'd go with Diaz on the right, Jota left and Gakpo in false 9 tbh mate. If nunez starts I'd put him left, Diaz right and Diogo central.

Just need to get out of there with 3 points anyway we can. We can't afford a slip up before city come to anfield.

You're right, we need every point available but with injuries and international duties, we're thin on options.
      Don77

• 6,546 posts | 1093 
      Reply #3: Jan 19, 2024 09:12:04 am
      You're right, we need every point available but with injuries and international duties, we're thin on options.

That's what I'm worried about. Hoping Dom might be at least on the bench here if not ready to start. Klopps presser will be interesting today.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,710 posts | 3717 
      Reply #4: Jan 19, 2024 09:16:40 am
      That's what I'm worried about. Hoping Dom might be at least on the bench here if not ready to start. Klopps presser will be interesting today.

Fingers crossed.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,710 posts | 3717 
      Reply #5: Jan 19, 2024 10:48:51 am
      Jürgen Klopp does not expect any of our injured players to be back in time for Sunday. Unfortunately.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,298 posts | 765 
      Reply #6: Jan 19, 2024 10:54:55 am
      Let's go out and win at Bournemouth to consolidate our top spot in the Premiership. 2  0 for the Reds.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,546 posts | 1776 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #7: Jan 19, 2024 12:50:12 pm

Pretty much the line-up I expect.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #8: Jan 19, 2024 12:51:51 pm
      Pretty much the line-up I expect.

I wouldn't bet against Harvey starting left forward again.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,546 posts | 1776 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #9: Jan 19, 2024 01:15:53 pm

Possibly aye. Although he is better in MF now I think. Could mean Jones & Harvey in MF, cos Grav has been pretty hit and miss
      rossyred

• 9,294 posts | 1664 
      Reply #10: Jan 19, 2024 01:25:30 pm
      Possibly aye. Although he is better in MF now I think. Could mean Jones & Harvey in MF, cos Grav has been pretty hit and miss

Only reason Elliott should be anywhere near front 3 is if Bradley is bombing on behind him
      rossyred

• 9,294 posts | 1664 
      Reply #11: Jan 19, 2024 01:28:32 pm

Played on the right didn't he last game
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #12: Jan 19, 2024 01:32:19 pm
      Solanke unavailable for the game apparently
      Don77

• 6,546 posts | 1093 
      Reply #13: Jan 19, 2024 01:40:48 pm

Ooohh this is good news if true. He's on fire.
      Harrisimo

• 8,293 posts | 1403 
      Reply #14: Jan 19, 2024 01:44:05 pm

Just as well, sold too early. Much better player than we thought. We need to be sharp and energetic. Very tight hard fought match in the offing, will need bout 14 players to beat them.

1-2
      Don77

• 6,546 posts | 1093 
      Reply #15: Jan 19, 2024 01:57:00 pm
      Just as well, sold too early. Much better player than we thought. We need to be sharp and energetic. Very tight hard fought match in the offing, will need bout 14 players to beat them.

1-2

And with Tierney we will need to score 5 to score 2. Something tells me he will cause us alot of issues again.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #16: Jan 19, 2024 02:08:17 pm
      Played on the right didn't he last game

Sorry that's what I meant
      Kurt Cocaine
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 755 posts | 128 
      Reply #17: Jan 19, 2024 03:36:54 pm
      Where'd you see that pal?
      Don77

• 6,546 posts | 1093 
      Reply #18: Jan 19, 2024 04:15:48 pm

Yeah ... quick look round the net and seeing nothing to suggest he isn't playing.
      rossyred

• 9,294 posts | 1664 
      Reply #19: Jan 19, 2024 04:17:08 pm

Sure you ain't getting confused with a another played  named Dominic
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #20: Jan 19, 2024 06:08:11 pm

1-2

He’s scored a few goals he’s hardly setting the league on fire , would he had of been getting much game time given our forward line over the last few years doubt it
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #21: Jan 19, 2024 11:15:52 pm
      Sure you ain't getting confused with a another played  named Dominic

Yeah I think I fu**ed that up - ignore me everyone.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,345 posts | 1531 
      Reply #22: Jan 20, 2024 11:02:23 am
      He’s scored a few goals he’s hardly setting the league on fire , would he had of been getting much game time given our forward line over the last few years doubt it

And he’ll have konate or VVD to deal with as well. Not your big standard cb’s are they 😊
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,546 posts | 1776 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #23: Jan 20, 2024 11:24:50 am
      Solanke was always a good player, pleased for him he is scoring more regularly, but we never made a mistake selling him, was best for all parties when he left.
      Harrisimo

• 8,293 posts | 1403 
      Reply #24: Jan 20, 2024 12:28:13 pm
      Ali....Bradley....Konate ....VVD....Jomez.....Ell iott....Maca....Jones... .Diaz....Jota....Nunez.

Elliott is far better playing a supporting wing back position. Old right half. Asking too much to do a Mo impression. His energy to get up and down is good. Jones can dampen things down and can also switch gears into attacking mode.

This is a game were we need to knuckle down and press press press and eventually our quality will out..but we must do the hard yards.
      RedBelle
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 815 posts | 134 
      Reply #25: Jan 20, 2024 09:03:22 pm
      A little concerned as we're a bit thin on options at the mo tho JNK has been that good masterminding his subs he should be sat in a black chair in the dug out with creepy music being played and a spotlight.
      Solanke has adapted to their different style of play and even tho he is up against Virg and Ibou he can still cause us a few problems. They're on a good run and full of confidence so any win however scrappy will be good.
      Am never sure whether a break for us is a good thing or bad!
      Good in terms of rest/recuperation for the players but worried that our momentum we had in the run up to the break may take us a while to pick up again - and with the Arse and Cashiola's lot looming on the horizon we can not afford to be letting things slip!
      Difficult too as we have gobsh!te Tierney  :f_steam: at Stockley who as usual will no doubt be doing everything in his power to knock us off our perch.
      We should have enough - after all our depleted squad saw off a full strength Arse in spite of the dodgy officiating.
      Get the gloves off, get stuck in Red Men!
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,882 posts | 421 
      Reply #26: Jan 20, 2024 10:18:49 pm
      Cant have Grav in the XI personally.

This game a proper banana skin.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,029 posts | 533 
      Reply #27: Jan 21, 2024 12:15:28 am
      Classic type of game that we fu**ed up in last season. So much so that I put a down a draw in my predictions a few weeks ago.

But I now think we'll win it. We are less prone to complacency than we were last season, and in a weird way having some players out may help us stay focused. I quite like Bradley starting this game, for example.

Midfield is where we're really short. I'd go with Elliot over Grav. Jones has been good n Mac should be fine so that is an ok midfield for me.  I agree with those saying play Diaz right wing. He looked good there when he switched over a couple of weeks ago. Jota n Gakpo also to start, Darwin off the bench.

Bournemouth seem to play out from  the back under this guy, so we should be able to pick them off if the energy is there.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,345 posts | 1531 
      Reply #28: Jan 21, 2024 01:37:43 am
      We always seem a bit disjointed after a break, and that’s when we are full strength.
      Hoping these lads will put in a massive effort to make that a thing of the past.
      As always, need to watch out for the long ball behind our high line, and our far post defence from set pieces.
      Take care of that, and the rest will be business as usual.
      I’ve gone for a hard fought 1-3 but it won’t be easy !
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5006 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #29: Jan 21, 2024 05:59:39 am
      Cant have Grav in the XI personally.

This game a proper banana skin.

How do you know that Grav doesn’t like bananas?? 🤔
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5006 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #30: Jan 21, 2024 06:29:35 am
      There are no easy games in this league, and B’mouth have to be fair have been playing well, however even with our diluted team we will be too much for them,
      We’ve coped well enough without our usual suspects and I can see us winning this fairly comfortably,
      Yes we’ll be put under pressure but that happens in most games in this league so will know what to expect, …..

Alisson
                   Bradley  Konate  Virgil  Gomez
                        Grav   Macca   Jones
                        Diaz     Jota    Nunez

Elliot, Gakpo, will likely swap with Diaz & Jota respectively second half, and we’ll probably see a smattering of kids to see us out, maybe Kaide or Bobby Clark,

Read in the week we’re not far away from Szloboslai, Trent and Robbo making their returns, Jürgen mentioned perhaps Fulham, so get thru this and we’ll soon be back to near normal as we can, with the exception of Mo & Endo @ the Afcon.

1-2 Champions Elect

YNWA
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,710 posts | 3717 
      Reply #31: Jan 21, 2024 09:02:54 am
      We need Darwin for this game because with our players injured or at the internationals, they will attack us and will leave space for him to run. Hopefully, Mac Allister feeds him and he is clinical enough to win us the match.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts | 299 
      Reply #32: Jan 21, 2024 10:09:46 am
      Solanke was always a good player, pleased for him he is scoring more regularly, but we never made a mistake selling him, was best for all parties when he left.

Agreed, he's in a group of strikers with Toney, Watkins, Ings, Calum Wilson, Hojlund and a few others. Can have a good career in the premier league with mid-table clubs but not good enough for us, Man City or a big European team.

Solanke would not have had many opportunities with us if he'd stayed, better for everyone that he moved on to get first team games and we got some money. I think it would probably be a mistake if he went to Arsenal.
      We still have to be cautious of him today, he'll be extra motivated to play well and score against us but Virgil and Konate should be able to deal with him ok.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,710 posts | 3717 
      Reply #33: Jan 21, 2024 10:23:46 am
      I won't make it to create the Live thread, up to you guys.

Come on Greens.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,546 posts | 1776 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #34: Jan 21, 2024 10:31:58 am
      Agreed, he's in a group of strikers with Toney, Watkins, Ings, Calum Wilson, Hojlund and a few others. Can have a good career in the premier league with mid-table clubs but not good enough for us, Man City or a big European team.

Solanke would not have had many opportunities with us if he'd stayed, better for everyone that he moved on to get first team games and we got some money. I think it would probably be a mistake if he went to Arsenal.
      We still have to be cautious of him today, he'll be extra motivated to play well and score against us but Virgil and Konate should be able to deal with him ok.

Indeed. 👍
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,298 posts | 765 
      Reply #35: Jan 21, 2024 10:32:46 am
      This could be a tricky game, Bournemouth never easy away. I went for 2  0 in the prediction league, but any win by the odd goal, would be a very decent result.
      rossyred

• 9,294 posts | 1664 
      Reply #36: Jan 21, 2024 11:07:25 am
      Think will be this
      Ali
      Bradley
      Ibou
      VVD
      Gomez
      Jones
      Mac
      Elliott
      Diaz
      Jota
      Nunez
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #37: Jan 21, 2024 03:17:55 pm
      Hope we don’t do our usual lethargic slow start. Need a win
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,250 posts | 923 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #38: Jan 21, 2024 03:20:13 pm
      We must not concede the first goal
      rossyred

• 9,294 posts | 1664 
      Reply #39: Jan 21, 2024 03:22:50 pm
      Think will be this
      Ali
      Bradley
      Ibou
      VVD
      Gomez
      Jones
      Mac
      Elliott
      Diaz
      Jota
      Nunez

As I said
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #40: Jan 21, 2024 03:26:55 pm
      Darwin is due a goal today.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,298 posts | 765 
      Reply #41: Jan 21, 2024 03:27:35 pm
      Hope we don’t do our usual lethargic slow start. Need a win

All games are "must win" games, from now on, to challenge for finishing top at the end of the season.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #42: Jan 21, 2024 03:33:33 pm

Feels like the best possible team with our Dutch duo ready to come on later
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #43: Jan 21, 2024 03:34:56 pm
      Just F***ing win Redmen
      Don77

• 6,546 posts | 1093 
      Reply #44: Jan 21, 2024 03:38:36 pm
      We must not concede the first goal

Par for the course mate ... usually within the first 10 minutes
      Harrisimo

• 8,293 posts | 1403 
      Reply #45: Jan 21, 2024 03:41:10 pm
      Strongest possible line up given the injuries etc. Predicted by many. Lot of focus on Nunez as usual. Will he won't he score. Not a millstone by any means.Said a month or two back that he obviously has be cool, calm and cold when the chances come.

Problem with that is that he is naturally 'hot blooded'. On the edge all the time. Not a bad thing but could mean 10-15 per season rather than in the 20+ bracket.
      Don77

• 6,546 posts | 1093 
      Reply #46: Jan 21, 2024 04:03:09 pm
      Strongest possible line up given the injuries etc. Predicted by many. Lot of focus on Nunez as usual. Will he won't he score. Not a millstone by any means.Said a month or two back that he obviously has be cool, calm and cold when the chances come.

Problem with that is that he is naturally 'hot blooded'. On the edge all the time. Not a bad thing but could mean 10-15 per season rather than in the 20+ bracket.

I'm sorry but for 80plus million it needs to be 20 plus. Needs to start taking his chances ... starting today.

But he is contributing ... hopefully that continues again today with him on the scoresheet too. Work ethic and attitude is spot on !!!

Quick Reply