Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Managerial Shortlist

Read 54707 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Re: Managerial Shortlist
      Reply #23: Jan 26, 2024 06:25:23 pm
      Could be one of the managers from the fall out of the Euros in the summer.

Steve Clarke coming back to finish the job he and Kenny started at the beginning of FSG’s tenure.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #24: Jan 26, 2024 06:28:58 pm
      Mo player/manager ;)
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #25: Jan 26, 2024 06:29:05 pm
      If history was to repeat itself then would be Klopp's follower Thomas Tuchel  :f_tongueincheek:
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,049 posts | 3431 
      Reply #26: Jan 26, 2024 06:31:28 pm
      I’ll take Xabi and he can bring Wirtz with him
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,219 posts | 1221 
      Reply #27: Jan 26, 2024 06:31:36 pm
      Has to be Xabi; he's tactically astute, a Liverpool legend, class all round individual, his team plays good football and he's sustaining a title challenge on a limited budget. Don't think Ange (who I like)would leave Spurs having just joined. De Zerbi..not sure tbh, don't know if he is the real deal or just flavour of the month.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,434 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #28: Jan 26, 2024 06:36:56 pm
      If history was to repeat itself then would be Klopp's follower Thomas Tuchel  :f_tongueincheek:

Would avoid at all costs
      johnlfcreds2010
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 994 posts | 68 
      Reply #29: Jan 26, 2024 06:38:25 pm
      It’s Xabi Alonso no one else it’s Alonso simple as that and he will be a great manager of our club .
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #30: Jan 26, 2024 06:44:23 pm
      Robbie Keane is top of the League in Israel and I’ve just read they won a trophy yesterday.

Sign him up.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,049 posts | 3431 
      Reply #31: Jan 26, 2024 07:11:33 pm
      The one person it won’t be is Gerrard
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,288 posts | 1402 
      Reply #32: Jan 26, 2024 07:42:08 pm
      The idea that great players, don't make great managers, well it's not a hard and fast rule. Kenny disproved that but yes many great players, flair players don't always have analytical or tactical minds. They very often don't know how they get to the heights they get to.

Other small point is so many have written off Steven Gerrard that it's a little bit insulting to a genuine Liverpool legend. He might not be in the frame, we simply don't know yet. Alonso is the flavour of the month.Genuine talent there.No question, but he would be a risk as well. I would support him 100% but nothing is decided.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,049 posts | 3431 
      Reply #33: Jan 26, 2024 07:46:10 pm
      The idea that great players, don't make great managers, well it's not a hard and fast rule. Kenny disproved that but yes many great players, flair players don't always have analytical or tactical minds. They very often don't know how they get to the heights they get to.

Other small point is so many have written off Steven Gerrard that it's a little bit insulting to a genuine Liverpool legend. He might not be in the frame, we simply don't know yet. Alonso is the flavour of the month.Genuine talent there.No question, but he would be a risk as well. I would support him 100% but nothing is decided.

It’s not insulting to write Gerrard off when he was very poor during his managerial career when he got the chance in the Prem ,

The only reason why anyone would want Gerrard is talking from the heart only

But I suspect they have already spoken to the person who will take over
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,244 posts | 922 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #34: Jan 26, 2024 07:56:18 pm
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #35: Jan 26, 2024 07:56:53 pm
      It’s not insulting to write Gerrard off when he was very poor during his managerial career when he got the chance in the Prem ,

In fairness though, Emery was quite poor in the Prem first time round with Arsenal (not Gerrard poor admittedly) and is now being tipped as a potential target for us because he’s done well since replacing Stevie at Villa.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #36: Jan 26, 2024 07:58:15 pm
      In fairness though, Emery was quite poor in the Prem first time round with Arsenal (not Gerrard poor admittedly) and is now being tipped as a potential target for us because he’s done well since replacing Stevie at Villa.

But then Emery has also a much more proven record at other clubs apart from Arsenal mate.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,049 posts | 3431 
      Reply #37: Jan 26, 2024 08:00:31 pm

Emery had a proven track record before he went to Arsenal and went there with a lot of work to do

Gerrard shouldn’t be anywhere near the job right now

Maybe come in as an assistant to someone
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,310 posts | 775 
      Reply #38: Jan 26, 2024 08:08:22 pm
      For me Stevie deserves to be in the conversation. He's done himself no favours with the Saudi connection....but that's got nothing to do with his ability, or lack thereof. He's a Red through and through, and as I've said before he may have got it wrong at Villa...but getting it wrong is how we learn how to get it right....I for one would love to see him given a chance.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,244 posts | 922 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #39: Jan 26, 2024 08:08:54 pm
      Chippy tits anyone...
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #40: Jan 26, 2024 08:09:25 pm
      But then Emery has also a much more proven record at other clubs apart from Arsenal mate.

Emery had a proven track record before he went to Arsenal and went there with a lot of work to do

Gerrard shouldn’t be anywhere near the job right now

Maybe come in as an assistant to someone

I’m not lobbying for Gerrard to get the job at this point I’m just saying Emery failed in this league first time round. And one failure shouldn’t rule anybody out.

Likewise being successful elsewhere doesn’t guarantee success at the next job you take as Emery’s time at Arsenal shows.

Like transfers, any managerial appointment has risk attached to it. And that’s why I’m chuffed that I don’t have to make those decisions.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,485 posts | 217 
      Reply #41: Jan 26, 2024 08:11:10 pm

Love Gerrard but he failed miserably at villa

Emiry is a very good manager, not great, and he showed the difference between a poor one and a very good one when Gerrard went

Gerrard should have went to another country to rebuild and learn, or even take an assistant role with a top manager but he went to Saudi which has done nothing for his career or reputation at this stage

I expected managers at the end of their careers to go there

Thinking more about it, alonso seems to be the right fit reading into things

Klopp also was at a similar club before us and the reality is whichever manager comes, as long as we give them a really good structure which is finished right now with everyone going, they hopefully should be good

But as united for example have shown, you can get good managers but with no structure they will fail

It’s even more important we get our transfer system up and running again to find some gems to be able to report to the new manager

There will be a few players leaving and we need to back the new boss by addressing a couple of weaknesses which klopp has worked wonders with
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,485 posts | 217 
      Reply #42: Jan 26, 2024 08:12:31 pm
      I’m not lobbying for Gerrard to get the job at this point I’m just saying Emery failed in this league first time round. And one failure shouldn’t rule anybody out.

Likewise being successful elsewhere doesn’t guarantee success at the next job you take as Emery’s time at Arsenal shows.

Like transfers, any managerial appointment has risk attached to it. And that’s why I’m chuffed that I don’t have to make those decisions.

I am his biggest fan, but as I posted. Gerrard could have learned from his mistakes at villa and went to another decent league to hone his skills further but he went for the big pay packet

If Gerrard went to Spain or even Germany, and did a good job, then that could have been his springboard to eventually end up here but he’s thrown it away imo

He’s improving zilch in Saudi, and he should be honing his skills to compete with the big boys in a major league to prove himself and work on himself but he’s done the opposite
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #43: Jan 26, 2024 08:21:06 pm
      The man was our midfield maestro
      And his passing is so delightful
      Cos everyone wants to know

ALONSO ALONSO ALONSO

Yup. If we can't get him, go all in for big Ange. He would be awesome for us I think.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,049 posts | 3431 
      Reply #44: Jan 26, 2024 08:21:42 pm

Emery in his first season at Arsenal finished a place higher than Wenger in his last season and also took them to the Europa Lge final but he was never welcomed there by the fans and it didn’t take much for him to be second a couple months into his second season

But I take the point

Gerrard jumped from Rangers too early imo and the Villa job was wrong for him

But I’m not a fan of him taking the Job at any stage without proving himself - Kenny was successful because of the staff behind him
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #45: Jan 26, 2024 08:23:47 pm
      Alonso
      De Zerbi
      Postecoglou

Klopp himself has heaped praise on De Zerbi.

Alonso seems the logical choice and Postecoglou seems like a good shout.

What I have read though is that FSG will hire a new sporting director first and they will hire the manager. Could be wrong, just what I read.

Quick Reply