Trending Topics

Next match: Arsenal v LFC [Friendly] Thu 1st Aug @ 12:30 am
      Lincoln Financial Field

Today is the 27th of July and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W3 D4 L3

Managerial Shortlist

Read 75866 times
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,360 posts | 777 
      Re: Managerial Shortlist
      Reply #345: Feb 09, 2024 10:43:23 am
      Ancelotti has plenty of experience, to manange at this level.
      gazred
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 890 posts | 320 
      Reply #346: Feb 09, 2024 12:06:16 pm

He also has a contract with Real Madrid
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,629 posts | 5034 
      Reply #347: Feb 09, 2024 12:18:36 pm
      Ancelotti would be a no go I think. Don't think he's leave Madrid

And FSG would rather a younger guy like Alonso.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,024 posts | 5058 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #348: Feb 09, 2024 12:24:36 pm
      He also has a contract with Real Madrid

And we want a younger enthusiastic manager who knows the modern take on football, knows the club inside out, back to front and everything else in between, will have respect from the start, will inherit a squad on the periphery of greatness, an academy knocking out talented young hungry players who are ready run thru the proverbial brick wall……….just wondering who that could be ? Might be a clue underneath………..

.XABIXABIXABIXABIXABIXAB IXABIXABIXABIXABIXABIXAB IXABIXABIXABIXABIXABIXAB IXABIXABIXABI ALONSO !!!

YNWA
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,582 posts | 6459 
      Reply #349: Feb 09, 2024 12:29:36 pm
      I hate to be like this but for me it’s Alonso or bust. I’ll be disappointed if it isn’t Xabi. I’ll back whoever it is but he would be my preferred shoulders above anyone else.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,638 posts | 772 
      Reply #350: Feb 09, 2024 03:18:57 pm

He also managed Everton (and failed)
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,360 posts | 777 
      Reply #351: Feb 09, 2024 04:39:11 pm

Not many managers suceed at Everton !
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,687 posts | 2902 
      Reply #352: Feb 09, 2024 04:46:56 pm
      De Zerbi for me would be disaster. Seems like Rodgers all over again.

Fair bit of talk in the Spanish media that Ancelotti might be off despite signing a new contract. Alonso would be near the top of Real’s list too I imagine.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,824 posts | 1409 
      Reply #353: Feb 09, 2024 05:24:08 pm

Wasn’t Carlo the other top candidate to get the job back when Jürgen got hired? But yes, Alonso would be phenomenal i think.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,244 posts | 2186 
      Reply #354: Feb 09, 2024 05:34:03 pm
      I hate to be like this but for me it’s Alonso or bust. I’ll be disappointed if it isn’t Xabi. I’ll back whoever it is but he would be my preferred shoulders above anyone else.

Same. Nobody else comes close in my mind.

He's such a different character to Jürgen that he wouldn't even entertain the thought of trying to live up to Jürgen's larger than life personality. He'd be his own man as he exudes the confidence and comfort of his own being. The reason why Paisley worked so well after Shankly was that he never tried to grow into the Shankly role. His quiet, reclusive side was in stark contrast to Shankly. That allowed himself to have a clean break from his predecessor.

De Zerbi has too much of the Rodgers ring to it. He'd be a good option, like Rodgers was for us back in 2012, when we were nowhere. But we've travelled so far down the line with Jürgen that an appointment like his would be a regression. Same goes for Thomas Frank. De Zerbi's too animated and emotional too. It would have the potential to go tits up very quickly under him. Needs a cool head. Xabi is that cool head.
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #355: Feb 09, 2024 05:35:13 pm
      De Zerbi for me would be disaster. Seems like Rodgers all over again.

Fair bit of talk in the Spanish media that Ancelotti might be off despite signing a new contract. Alonso would be near the top of Real’s list too I imagine.

Almost like they feel they have to go for Alonso before someone else does maybe? He's likely to last longer here than at Madrid so maybe let him get that out his system first.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,346 posts | 1133 
      Reply #356: Feb 09, 2024 05:55:23 pm
      Mike Basset. Ricky Tominson is a die hard red supporter. How cool would it be to see him stay in character for years on end?

Just pray he doesn't run the 4-4-F***ing 2
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,629 posts | 5034 
      Reply #357: Feb 09, 2024 06:00:41 pm

Can't say I agree it's Alonso or bust.

But definitely agree that Xabi is probably the most suitable candidate.
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #358: Feb 09, 2024 06:12:13 pm
      Can't say I agree it's Alonso or bust.

But definitely agree that Xabi is probably the most suitable candidate.

What criteria are we using for who is most suitable?

Are we judging it on past success?

Are we judging it on style of play/formation suiting the players we have?

Are we judging it on managerial experience at the top level with a proven track record?

Are we looking for an ex-red with limited success/experience/unproven record at the highest level over a reasonable period of time but understands the club inside and out?

What criteria are we using? The Liverpool job is one of the biggest jobs you can get ... in the top 5 in Europe.

I love Xabi, legend here without doubt but legendary status doesn't get you the managers job. If he did get it , I feel it would be somewhat of a gamble. But I guess there are not a load of candidates that stand out really.

If he does get it ... I think he would have the support of everyone and I'd be excited to see how he gets on. I doubt he will turn it down if offered the job
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,319 posts | 1242 
      Reply #359: Feb 09, 2024 06:13:48 pm
      I don't think Xabi will have to get anything 'out of his system' if offered the Liverpool job. It's not as though we're going to hang about and say 'ah ok off you go mate, we'll catch up in a few years and it'll be yours once your work in Madrid is done'. Whoever gets the job will be intent on building their own long-term project, and there is far more chance of him doing that at Liverpool than Madrid, who historically have tended to chop and change an awful lot more. The opportunity to manage Liverpool post-Klopp is a golden one that I'm sure he will be eager to take.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,601 posts | 857 
      Reply #360: Feb 09, 2024 06:17:10 pm

Are we judging it on managerial experience at the top level with a proven track record?

Are we looking for an ex-red with limited success/experience/unproven record at the highest level over a reasonable period of time but understands the club inside and out?

What criteria are we using? The Liverpool job is one of the biggest jobs you can get ... in the top 5 in Europe.

I love Xabi, legend here without doubt but legendary status doesn't get you the managers job. If he did get it , I feel it would be somewhat of a gamble. But I guess there are not a load of candidates that stand out really.

If he does get it ... I think he would have the support of everyone and I'd be excited to see how he gets on. I doubt he will turn it down if offered the job
      All job appointments are a gamble....even Klopp was a gamble...which evidently and thankfully was a good/perfect one.
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #361: Feb 09, 2024 06:28:40 pm
      All job appointments are a gamble....even Klopp was a gamble...which evidently and thankfully was a good/perfect one.

Klopp was never a gamble. He stood out a mile. In these eyes anyway. He'd won 2 German titles, ending the dominance of bayern and been to a CL final. He was a larger than life character who brought people together. I remember after the abomination that was the end of the 14/15 season I wanted him in. But Rodgers stayed on. Luckily that changed in October that year.

If Xabi wins this season ... and beats bayern that's a feather in his cap for sure. I'm certainly not against Xabi ... I'm just questioning what everyone is looking for in terms of criteria for the next manager ... because there are a number of names being thrown around.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,601 posts | 857 
      Reply #362: Feb 09, 2024 06:45:50 pm
      Klopp was never a gamble. He stood out a mile. In these eyes anyway. He'd won 2 German titles, ending the dominance of bayern and been to a CL final. He was a larger than life character who brought people together. I remember after the abomination that was the end of the 14/15 season I wanted him in. But Rodgers stayed on. Luckily that changed in October that year.

If Xabi wins this season ... and beats bayern that's a feather in his cap for sure. I'm certainly not against Xabi ... I'm just questioning what everyone is looking for in terms of criteria for the next manager ... because there are a number of names being thrown around.
      Accurate analysis of what made him an outstanding candidate, but as I say all hirings will have an element of risk. Whoever steps into the big man's shoes it will take some time for that person's identity for the team to manifest itself. He won't and can't be another Klopp. I can understand why
      Xabi is the preferred (By fans) choice... His age, link to club, impressive performance in Germany etc. Question is: Does he want it?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,629 posts | 5034 
      Reply #363: Feb 09, 2024 07:19:32 pm

For me Xabi shouldn't be nailed on but I do see why he could be top of any shortlist.

As it's been said numerous times on here any appointment is a gamble.

The issue is that we don't have a 'Jürgen Klopp' type stand out candidate this time around. He fitted the bill in every way and I don't think we have that this time so the calls for Xabi are based on him being a former player and one who seems to be on the lines of becoming a top coach.

For me though I think it would be blinkered to only think of Alonso while ignoring a potentially better candidate such as, and this is for example, Ruben Amorim from Sporting.
      « Last Edit: Feb 09, 2024 07:56:44 pm by srslfc »
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,343 posts | 953 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press and F**k
      Reply #364: Feb 09, 2024 07:43:46 pm

Can’t hold that against him, who wouldn’t fail at Everton except chippy tits
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,244 posts | 2186 
      Reply #365: Feb 09, 2024 07:48:21 pm
      For me Xabi shouldn't be nailed on but I do see why he could be too of any shortlist.

The issue is that we don't have a 'Jürgen Klopp' type stand out candidate this time around. He fitted the bill in every way and I don't think we have that this time so the calls for Xabi are based on him being a former player and one who seems to be on the lines of becoming a top coach.

For me though I think it would be blinkered to only think of Alonso wile ignoring a potentially better candidate such as, and this is for example, Ruben Amorim from Sporting.

Amorim would be the only one who would have the potential to excite.

There's something about Xabi though...
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #366: Feb 09, 2024 07:59:24 pm
      For me Xabi shouldn't be nailed on but I do see why he could be top of any shortlist.

For me though I think it would be blinkered to only think of Alonso while ignoring a potentially better candidate such as, and this is for example, Ruben Amorim from Sporting.

I've got to be honest mate I've no idea when it comes to the guy from sporting. I'm not aware of him or what he's done so it would be silly to give an opinion on him.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,638 posts | 772 
      Reply #367: Feb 09, 2024 08:52:31 pm
      Can’t hold that against him, who wouldn’t fail at Everton except chippy tits

Everton fans were throwing their toys out the pram at the thought of Rafa Benitez being their manager. Why would we be so many eager to take their failed manager. WHO ALSO MANAGED CHELSEA. (and is nearly a decade older than klopp)
      « Last Edit: Feb 09, 2024 08:59:17 pm by PastorGeek »

Quick Reply