Trending Topics

Next match: Arsenal v LFC [Friendly] Thu 1st Aug @ 12:30 am
      Lincoln Financial Field

Today is the 27th of July and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W3 D4 L3

Managerial Shortlist

Read 75906 times
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,543 posts | 1452 
      Re: Managerial Shortlist
      Reply #828: Mar 30, 2024 03:56:47 pm
      Looking at the bigger picture I think we need an experienced manager, a proven winner. It can go wrong very quickly and it could put us in with 3/4 who shuffle about between 5 or 6th to 8/9th place.

This, in my opinion, is not the time to be going out on a limb with a flavour of the month candidate. This club is a huge challenge. Bringing someone in on the back of one or two decent seasons isn't the best idea.

I'll back whoever they pick but I would go for Tuchel. Proven winner, vastly experienced. Respected by his fellow managers. By all accounts a good motivator. Bit of a perfectionist, takes nothing for granted. Much less of a risk than the others.

Not 100% convinced but better option, IMO, than the relative newcomers to the trade.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,609 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #829: Mar 30, 2024 04:15:24 pm
      I'd put all my eggs in the Xabi basket, and looks like he's not going to be coming, which is disappointing, for me anyway.
      Manager with not a lot of experience, but to be 10 points clear of Bayern at the top of a 'proper league', is incredibly impressive.
      It'd still be a risk, but if he continues on an wins the Bundesliga, he'll have everyone after him.

Gerrard has yet to prove he'd be up to managing a mid table team in the PL.

De Zerbi, Thomas Frank, Postecoglou, etc - it's one thing managing with little expectation, completely different when the expectation is to compete for the title.

In saying that, I didn't think Arteta would get Arsenal to where they are now.

Dunno, tough one.  Go for one of the less experienced/proven guys, or a more experienced guy like Tuchel, Zidane.

Would Pep jump from Citeh with the FFP hanging over them.

How do you replace JĆ¼rgen. It's impossible really imho. Can't recall having a connection like it with any manager.

Very difficult.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,601 posts | 857 
      Reply #830: Mar 30, 2024 05:17:50 pm
      There's literally no one out there who doesn't represent a risk....we could get a guy with a great pedigree of experience and success and he could come unstuck with us.... or we could get an absolute novice who hits the deck running and wins us a trophy in his first season....It's the great unknown......All scenarios come with risk. The whole situation is challenging to say the least.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,629 posts | 5034 
      Reply #831: Mar 30, 2024 05:29:55 pm
      His style of play is out of date and his man management is probably also no longer appropriate for modern football.

I love what he did for the club, he left too early but we can't go back.

Agree the game had moved in from Rafa. An absolute hero and legend but his time has gone.

Emery still would be on my list but as been discussed before he probably wants to finish the job at Villa
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 735 posts | 113 
      Reply #832: Mar 30, 2024 05:31:10 pm
      The reality is that whoever we go for will be a big step down - itā€™s going to be the same as when Moyes took over from Ferguson ā€¦ and they still havenā€™t gotten over that.

Next season will be tough whoever comes in - I suspect that Alonso knows this too. I think the club should go for someone who people may not necessarily know about - there are too many high profile journeymen (the likes of Ancelotti, Zidane etc) - we need someone completely new who will be prepared to take risks and not worry about their reputation.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,346 posts | 1133 
      Reply #833: Mar 30, 2024 06:11:11 pm
      Just remember that a lot of the same sentiment shared on here was being vocalized when Shankly left the club. Worked out pretty well when he left, eh?
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,601 posts | 857 
      Reply #834: Mar 30, 2024 06:28:33 pm
      Just remember that a lot of the same sentiment shared on here was being vocalized when Shankly left the club. Worked out pretty well when he left, eh?
      The similarities with when Shanks left are exclusively about profile. Both managers were/are symbiotic with every aspect of the club, the obvious difference is the "Boot room" which was a quasi conveyor belt of internal coaches ready to pick up the baton, as and when. As someone said yesterday, we've got to trust the process and get behind whoever gets the job.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,785 posts | 3958 
      Reply #835: Mar 30, 2024 07:13:58 pm
      I would genuinely be happy to get Gerrard in. There I said it!
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,360 posts | 777 
      Reply #836: Mar 30, 2024 07:53:45 pm
      Almost mission impossible whoever takes over next season. Whilst I repect those posters, who opt for Gerrard, he does not seem quite ready to takeover, at present, maybe in two or three years time.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,399 posts | 3541 
      Reply #837: Mar 30, 2024 08:09:57 pm

Why ? What is it with his management style that you would be happy to see at the clubb
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,785 posts | 3958 
      Reply #838: Mar 30, 2024 08:13:12 pm
      Why ? What is it with his management style that you would be happy to see at the clubb

I just think he would make it work, like he did at rangers
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,399 posts | 3541 
      Reply #839: Mar 30, 2024 08:33:30 pm

Really ? He didnā€™t really make it work that well at Rangers and itā€™s a massive step up to make it work at Liverpool , he failed horribly to make it work at Villa
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,554 posts | 2801 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #840: Mar 30, 2024 08:34:13 pm

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      Confirms what I always thought about you. 🤦ā€ā™‚ļø
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,554 posts | 2801 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #841: Mar 30, 2024 08:36:59 pm

So Rangers is the benchmark for success in the Premier league? 🤦ā€ā™‚ļø You forgotten thereā€™s only two teams in the Scottish league.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,078 posts | 549 
      Reply #842: Mar 30, 2024 09:08:38 pm
      Really ? He didnā€™t really make it work that well at Rangers and itā€™s a massive step up to make it work at Liverpool , he failed horribly to make it work at Villa

He did well at Rangers. He failed at Villa but I wouldnt have held that too much against him - he wasnt given that long, and if he had gone to another club in a decent league and was doing ok he'd be in the running.

But the fact he went to Saudi rules him out. He's decided to take the money rather than try and prove himself, so he's ruled himself out.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,319 posts | 1242 
      Reply #843: Mar 30, 2024 11:00:36 pm
      Gerrard is pure emotion/nostalgia (which is why he absolutely will not be the pick). Alonso was favoured largely based on his exceptional performance with Leverkusen with the added bonus of having a connection to the club. Now we're down to no prior connection with the club and I trust we will make an intelligent decision based on the best available information.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,346 posts | 1133 
      Reply #844: Mar 30, 2024 11:37:38 pm
      If I were Keith, I'd be genuinely happy if Gerrard came in, just as I was when Ole was at the wheel.

It's a no for me dawg
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,900 posts | 704 
      Reply #845: Mar 30, 2024 11:51:49 pm
      Quote from HUYTON RED
      Actual factual stats or more of your made up on the spot.

Why do you hate Rafa?

You've been told how incompetent he was and still is, multiple times down the years. I stand by everything said.

Hodgson was a short term error of judgement, corrected after half a season, you still haven't got over it. I had to put up with Benitez winning sfa for 4 years, and forcefed the fairytale that I should be grateful for just Istanbul and Cardiff. We're challenging for trebles and quadruples nowadays. Puts 2 trophies won in 6 years into perspective.

If I was bowling to you on the issue (or VAR), there wouldn't be a stump left standing. So rather than engage in debate, you throw mud instead. First it was G&H, then it was Howard Webb, now it's Donald Trump. All a big load of crap.

Quote from Arab Scouse
      Gerrard should never ever be considered

Plan A failed. Who else is willing to take it?

Anyone?
      « Last Edit: Mar 31, 2024 12:29:45 am by lfc across the water »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,582 posts | 6459 
      Reply #846: Mar 31, 2024 02:01:33 am
      Gerrard 🤣🤣

Kurt Cocaine
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 924 posts | 156 
      Reply #847: Mar 31, 2024 08:03:32 am
      Gerrard committed career suicide by taking the Saudi petro dollar....
      I'm almost certain he'll never grace the home dugout at Anfield, unless for an exhibition match sometime...
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,785 posts | 3958 
      Reply #848: Mar 31, 2024 08:06:39 am
      Gerrard committed career suicide by taking the Saudi petro dollar....
      I'm almost certain he'll never grace the home dugout at Anfield, unless for an exhibition match sometime...

We all make mistakes. I love him so much, he could genuinely do a good job.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,642 posts | 1824 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #849: Mar 31, 2024 08:09:31 am
      He did well at Rangers. He failed at Villa but I wouldnt have held that too much against him - he wasnt given that long, and if he had gone to another club in a decent league and was doing ok he'd be in the running.

But the fact he went to Saudi rules him out. He's decided to take the money rather than try and prove himself, so he's ruled himself out.

Did well at rangers while Celtic had a terrible team/season. Thought he was Billy big bollox fu**ed off to villa got found out.

Now he is starting again in Saudi.

If he sticks it out there and actually gets that team playing well and challenging over a few seasons, then he maybe gets another shot at premier league team or I would suggest a good championship team.  Does well there maybe just maybe he has a sh*t at LFC.
      Kurt Cocaine
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 924 posts | 156 
      Reply #850: Mar 31, 2024 08:10:35 am
      We all make mistakes. I love him so much, he could genuinely do a good job.
      I love Gerrard so much too, the player....

Quick Reply