Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Managerial Shortlist

Read 53530 times
      FATKOPITE10, LFCSTEVE1984 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,213 posts | 1221 
      Re: Managerial Shortlist
      Reply #667: Mar 26, 2024 11:54:56 pm
      I heard that Nagelsmann's a bit of a scumbag. Ditched his wife and hooked up with a journalist where he started leaking personal stories and gossip from the Bayern dressing room to his partner. Also skateboards into work. So...a bit of a w**ker.

Yeah I'm not a great fan either to be honest (Bagels man, on the other hand...). Xabi is by far the standout candidate and the club should move heaven and earth to bring him here. I'm glad we've put the key pieces in place (Edwards and co) to make the manager's job a secure and attractive long term proposition. Clubs like Bayern and Real have a relatively high turnover of managers. For all the money, glamour and promise of immediate success, you can be in and out in a couple of years. With Liverpool you get a much richer experience and I can hardly think of a better time to become the new Liverpool manager. It is a golden opportunity that won't come around nearly as often.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,865 posts | 411 
      Reply #668: Mar 27, 2024 06:56:19 am
      The German media seem quite buoyant on alonso staying in Germany next season don’t they. Hopefully this is simply them trying to flex their muscles a little bit given Munichs influence on the press there. I guess the one thing they might really swing it is his family ie. Where are the kids at in terms of ages and schools, how much does his wife like Germany etc. it’s obviously been a long while since he was at Lfc. I’ll be gutted if we can’t get him, I really don’t know a thing about the CB Portuguese coach. Bagels man could be an interesting option but really, I only want Xabi. 

I like Alonso and said a week before Jürgen told us all he was leaving he'd be my first pick as LFC manager if and when he did leave. It might just be possible however that we like him more than he likes us.

I can't shake the feeling that if Madrid came knocking he'd be off there without much need for persuasion wherever he was at at the time.

The one thing Xabi strikes me as is a man with a plan and my guess is that all roads lead to Madrid in his mind.

The choice for him then would be does he uproot his family to the North West of England or stay in Germany until the vacancy becomes available.

If I'm looking at it coldly it's much easier for him to dominate the Bundesliga with Bayern or stay at Leverkusen than it is to take over from Jürgen and try and challenge the 115* while he builds up his portfolio  to get his move to Madrid.

Like some have said maybe it's best we let him gain experience and get that Madrid itch out of his head and see where the land lies then.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,195 posts | 8560 
      Reply #669: Mar 27, 2024 11:40:48 am
      I like Alonso and said a week before Jürgen told us all he was leaving he'd be my first pick as LFC manager if and when he did leave. It might just be possible however that we like him more than he likes us.

I can't shake the feeling that if Madrid came knocking he'd be off there without much need for persuasion wherever he was at at the time.

"Unfinished Business" - he wants to win the league!

He only went to Madrid as a player to help the club pay off the £30 million debt servicing the loan taken out by H & G

His excuse for leaving for Madrid - tax reasons.

Make no mistake Xabi loves us.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,272 posts | 1396 
      Reply #670: Mar 27, 2024 12:54:01 pm
      Think everybody acknowledges that JK will be a tough act to follow. Very often when big successful managers leave it takes several goes to get it right. Most obvious is the situation at United.

What we can't and shouldn't do is compare the new guy with Klopp. Klopp is a one off. If it's Xabi then he has a head start as the fans already love and respect him, but beware, nothing is guaranteed.We are entering a new phase, a new chapter.

Clean slate for the new guy. If it's not Xabi, then whoever gets it needs respect and time. Buckle up, could be a bumpy ride.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,506 posts | 1496 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #671: Mar 27, 2024 01:03:49 pm
      Still hoping Klopp changes his mind.

I know, I know...
      Don77

• 6,529 posts | 1083 
      Reply #672: Mar 27, 2024 01:38:29 pm
      Still hoping Klopp changes his mind.

I know, I know...

Only chance of Jürgen changing his mind is when deciding which beach to visit first. Bet he cant wait to just switch off ... get up in the morning, read the paper, walk the dogs ... spend family time and relax. He deserves it.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #673: Mar 27, 2024 01:50:38 pm
      Quote from HUYTON RED
      "Unfinished Business" - he wants to win the league!

He only went to Madrid as a player to help the club pay off the £30 million debt servicing the loan taken out by H & G

His excuse for leaving for Madrid - tax reasons.

Make no mistake Xabi loves us.

We know why he left. The manager wanted to get rid of him, because in his eyes Gareth Barry was apparantly a better option.

Whether he could win the league or not is debatable. But at least he would try. Unlike his boss at the time who told us we didn't need to win trophies. Hence we didn't.

Quote from Don77
      Madrid managers are under pressure of the sack if losing at half time.

Im not changing my mind on this ... i dont want us looking over our shoulder everytine they are losing at half time, the natives are restless

Just my opinion.

So is our manager. Indeed any manager that's losing after 10 minutes, let alone half time, is under pressure. That's if you believe all the pages and pages of posts on how incompetent they are at their job, posted on this, and other football forums.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,195 posts | 8560 
      Reply #674: Mar 27, 2024 09:52:04 pm
      We know why he left. The manager wanted to get rid of him, because in his eyes Gareth Barry was apparantly a better option.

Whether he could win the league or not is debatable. But at least he would try. Unlike his boss at the time who told us we didn't need to win trophies. Hence we didn't.

Let it go you're like a scorned bi*ch.

The above you posted about the Alonso transfer is complete horseshit otherwise we would of accepted Juve's offer the season before!!

We needed the £30 million to pay off the debt on the loan same as the F***ing Mascherano transfer to Barcelona.
      rossyred

• 9,289 posts | 1664 
      Reply #675: Mar 28, 2024 09:04:33 pm
      Was never sure we would get Alonso and so it looks to be
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,372 posts | 2821 
      Reply #676: Mar 28, 2024 09:14:28 pm
      https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/1773455025957753006

Can't see it being anyone apart from Amorim now.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,865 posts | 411 
      Reply #677: Mar 28, 2024 09:40:54 pm

Had a pretty strong feeling this was going to be the case this last week with the rumours trickling out that Xabi was happy in Germany.

Think he stays with Leverkusen until Madrid come in.
      RedBelle
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 812 posts | 134 
      Reply #678: Mar 28, 2024 09:50:00 pm
      I am beginning to sound like a broken record in this house by muttering that I don't want De Zerbi  :lmao:
      Other half has threatened to put me outside if I dont STFU xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      « Last Edit: Mar 28, 2024 09:57:43 pm by RedBelle »
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,865 posts | 411 
      Reply #679: Mar 28, 2024 10:04:49 pm
      I am beginning to sound like a broken record in this house by muttering that I don't want De Zerbi  :lmao:
      Other half has threatened to put me outside if I dont STFU xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

I feel like that too. He seems very temperamental and it's hard to tell with Brighton managers if they're not just benefitting from the work done behind the scenes in the same way Potter did well with them before bombing at Chelsea.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 833 posts | 298 
      Reply #680: Mar 28, 2024 10:14:59 pm
      I feel like that too. He seems very temperamental and it's hard to tell with Brighton managers if they're not just benefitting from the work done behind the scenes in the same way Potter did well with them before bombing at Chelsea.

To be fair to Potter, almost everyone bombs at Chelsea, managers and players.

DeZerbi in not high on my list to replace Klopp but he lost some of his best players in the summer and has had to add lots of European games. He's doing ok but I don't see anything that makes me think he is good enough for us.
      rossyred

• 9,289 posts | 1664 
      Reply #681: Mar 28, 2024 10:33:06 pm

Reckon it's been him for.a couple.of.months won't be a surprise to the decision makers
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,059 posts | 2108 
      Reply #682: Mar 28, 2024 11:07:42 pm
      I hope to god we go for Amorim. De Zerbi...I really hope not.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 804 posts | 155 
      Reply #683: Mar 28, 2024 11:38:46 pm
      Can't say I'm too gutted to learn it's not gonna be Xabi as I've convinced myself pretty much ever since Klopp made his announcement that whoever we get we'll be in steady hands.

Whether it be Nagelsmann, Zidane, Emery, RDZ, Amorim or whoever else (who can boast a half decent track record).

I know a lot of people aren't convinced by RDZ, but when you look at the squad he has I really don't see how he or anyone could've done any better. They have the 3rd highest possession football after City and ourselves......and that's with the like of Gilmour and Gross in their midfield.

Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,270 posts | 760 
      Reply #684: Mar 28, 2024 11:45:51 pm
      For me there's one other outstanding candidate: Steven Gerrard. He's LFC through and through and knows what we're all about. I'd give him a three year deal.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 804 posts | 155 
      Reply #685: Mar 28, 2024 11:47:09 pm
      For me there's one other outstanding candidate: Steven Gerrard. He's LFC through and through and knows what we're all about. I'd give him a three year deal.

Aprils fools' isn't until Monday Longy, behave yourself!!!
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,270 posts | 760 
      Reply #686: Mar 28, 2024 11:55:23 pm
      Aprils fools' isn't until Monday Longy, behave yourself!!!
      I genuienly don't understand all the toxicity surrounding him....Seems to me there's a load of unproven no marks in the frame...Anyway that's my call for what it's worth....which is nothing.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,934 posts | 3407 
      Reply #687: Mar 29, 2024 12:02:21 am
      I genuienly don't understand all the toxicity surrounding him....Seems to me there's a load of unproven no marks in the frame...Anyway that's my call for what it's worth....which is nothing.

Gerrard is not the man for the job , he bombed massively at Villa , the owners won’t be looking at him
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 804 posts | 155 
      Reply #688: Mar 29, 2024 12:13:12 am

Not so much toxicity but more incompetence, has it completely escaped your mind how he left Villa like a few points off relegation? Could you really hand on heart say you'd have him over the guy that took Villa from 15-16th to where they sit currently? Gerrard is top of the unproven list when you throw in the likes of Nagelsmann, Emery, Amorim and De Zerbi in the mix. De Zerbi's taken a side to 6th in the Prem that really had no right to be there. Amorim won the title with Sporting for the first time in 20 years, he broke the Benfica/Porto dominance over those 2 decades. Doesn't sound like unproven to me. It'll be a huge step up for them and they all have a lot to learn still, sure.....same would've applied to Xabi.

But for what it's worth, I'm still calling you on your bluff.
      « Last Edit: Mar 29, 2024 12:20:31 am by The-AllMightyReds »
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,213 posts | 1221 
      Reply #689: Mar 29, 2024 12:15:04 am
      Disappointing news if true but understand Xabi wanting to continue his good work at Leverkusen. He's a shrewd operator so perhaps he's looked at other managers who've moved too soon and ended up regretting it.

Amorim has been shortening with the bookies these past few week and he seems like a best of the rest to me.

Quick Reply