Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Managerial Shortlist

Read 53712 times
      DublinRed and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,548 posts | 726 
      Re: Managerial Shortlist
      Reply #690: Mar 29, 2024 12:15:25 am
      i did want Xabi tbh, but the more i think about it, its very. risky, he's only had 1 season managed 75 games. I think he actually probably made the most sensible choice if he is staying as he will gain more experience in a sort of low pressure situation.

I think De Zerbi style will suit our players. He has prem experience at this point, but he hasnt won anything yet, but is also young (as a manager) and with our players i don't see why he couldn't.

Amorin seems like a good choice too, but his formation with Sporting is so different from what we play. I'm not quite sure, but we will see. 

The 'safest' choice is probably Pep probably, but that doesnt seem likely to happen.

I wouldn't be mad at any of those 3
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,291 posts | 763 
      Reply #691: Mar 29, 2024 12:15:34 am
      Gerrard is not the man for the job , he bombed massively at Villa , the owners won’t be looking at him
      I'd counter that and say he underperformed at Villa, not bombed. Everyone learns by making mistakes. His connection to the Club is also a massive factor....I get he's not a popular choice on here.....but as I say each to their own etc etc
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,213 posts | 1221 
      Reply #692: Mar 29, 2024 12:18:34 am
      I genuienly don't understand all the toxicity surrounding him....Seems to me there's a load of unproven no marks in the frame...Anyway that's my call for what it's worth....which is nothing.

Left Rangers too soon. His Villa side were absolutely awful towards the end and leaving for the riches of Saudi in a joke of a league cements that one as a complete non-starter.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #693: Mar 29, 2024 02:55:45 am
      Not the news I wanted to hear…maybe Klopp will change his mind 😂
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,540 posts | 1089 
      Reply #694: Mar 29, 2024 05:28:18 am
      As ive said for weeks, he will do another year at his current club , with the aim of heading to madrid after that. So this isnt surprising to me at all. He was never coming here this summer. But obviously nut cutting time arrived and we were looking for encouragement and that didnt come.

Im numb to it all now. Whoever we get , it just wont be klopp who is the best in the business.

The cards will fall how they fall. We have a talented group of players. But klopp is what makes it tick. He is the guts, the engine and the heart ... and as happy as i am for Jürgen, im gutted and worried about the future.

Id have loved Xabi to come in ... but never felt at any moment it was a possibility.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,755 posts | 862 
      Reply #695: Mar 29, 2024 05:38:46 am
      It's disappointing news, but I'm confident that the club will appoint the right person for the job. One thing that sets FSG apart from most other owners is their management acumen. With Edwards back and a recent restructuring, we're now focused on finding the best fit for our team. While Alonso would have been ideal, we can't do much about a decision like the one he made.

In football, things can change rapidly, so it's possible that Alonso could change his mind for XYZ reason, and we might wake up to a different scenario. Keep in mind that just two weeks ago, FSG had been told 'no' for the second or third time regarding Edwards' return, but then everything changed in just one day.

In the meantime, I'll put my faith in Edwards and the rest of the club's management to do what's best and hire the best replacement available.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,695 posts | 3714 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #696: Mar 29, 2024 06:04:17 am
      If he doesn't want to come then his loss.

He doesn't want pressure and he is still young as a manager.

We will get Amorin, that is the feeling.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,200 posts | 836 
      Reply #697: Mar 29, 2024 06:44:43 am
      If he doesn't want to come then his loss.

He doesn't want pressure and he is still young as a manager.

We will get Amorin, that is the feeling.

I have a feeling it will be De Zerbi
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,991 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #698: Mar 29, 2024 07:11:12 am
      For me there's one other outstanding candidate: Steven Gerrard. He's LFC through and through and knows what we're all about. I'd give him a three year deal.

Very rare to I read a somewhat! 😱 post from you as you’re very level headed. However! there’s always a first. 😂this is the one.  :lmao:

SG as manager 😱😱😱 You bin smokin that  :cool-smiley-027: Aussie Red sh!t 😂😂

As a manc I certainly hope you’re right mate because that’s a guarantee  joining United in the middle of the pack, maybe worse.

Longy, he’s not your man mate. Hopefully you’re back on here quoting my post on how wrong I was and you were right.  ;D
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,379 posts | 2823 
      Reply #699: Mar 29, 2024 07:33:07 am
      I’m not arsed about Alonso not fancying a move to us right now. He’s only had one season at the top - pretty much every candidate for the job has major flaws compared to Klopp anyway so it’s hard to get too attached to one target.

I'd counter that and say he underperformed at Villa, not bombed. Everyone learns by making mistakes. His connection to the Club is also a massive factor....I get he's not a popular choice on here.....but as I say each to their own etc etc

I think when you look at the sudden turnaround Villa made under Emery then it’s pretty clear Gerrard didn’t just underperform. It was a borderline disaster.

I think Stevie himself knows the dream is dead in the water. I don’t think he’d have fu**ed off to Saudi if he thought it was on as that’s just killed his chances even more.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,379 posts | 2823 
      Reply #700: Mar 29, 2024 07:35:10 am
      Reckon it's been him for.a couple.of.months won't be a surprise to the decision makers

Yeah Amorim would be an Edwards type appointment all over.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,534 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #701: Mar 29, 2024 08:27:02 am
      I did say wouldn't be surprised to see xabi stay and lederhosen. Good in him.

Win the league get into champions league really has to give it a crack with that team for at least a 2nd season.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #702: Mar 29, 2024 08:55:24 am
      How can he not come to the best club in the world? It’s bemusing.
      Harrisimo

• 8,282 posts | 1396 
      Reply #703: Mar 29, 2024 09:28:46 am
      By all accounts Ruben Amorim is a chirpy chap..pleasant and approachable. Seems to prefer 3-4-3. Appointed at Sporting in March 2020 and has won the league once in 20/21.

Battered Boavista 6-1 before the break. And Sporting play Estrela Amadora kick off 20.30. tonight. They're a point ahead of Benfica with a game in hand.
      Harrisimo

• 8,282 posts | 1396 
      Reply #704: Mar 29, 2024 09:34:11 am
      Can't see us going after Gerrard, money he's getting over there, we'd have to give him his own oil well and a semi in Huyton..nah..probably Amorim but he doesn't excite me that much.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,997 posts | 3424 
      Reply #705: Mar 29, 2024 10:18:44 am
      How can he not come to the best club in the world? It’s bemusing.

Actually think he doesn’t want to risk it
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 764 
      Reply #706: Mar 29, 2024 10:42:46 am
      It is a pity Pepi Lijnders wants to leave, he would have been an ideal choice, for thed job.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #707: Mar 29, 2024 10:46:20 am
      Can't see us going after Gerrard, money he's getting over there, we'd have to give him his own oil well and a semi in Huyton..nah..probably Amorim but he doesn't excite me that much.

There are detached in Huyton 😉
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,291 posts | 763 
      Reply #708: Mar 29, 2024 11:09:01 am
      Very rare to I read a somewhat! 😱 post from you as you’re very level headed. However! there’s always a first. 😂this is the one.  :lmao:

SG as manager 😱😱😱 You bin smokin that  :cool-smiley-027: Aussie Red sh!t 😂😂

As a manc I certainly hope you’re right mate because that’s a guarantee  joining United in the middle of the pack, maybe worse.

Longy, he’s not your man mate. Hopefully you’re back on here quoting my post on how wrong I was and you were right.  ;D
      I'm 100% sure I've posted worse drivel than this. Rather than going along with the crowd on this, I formed my opinion dispassionately, based on a number of variables. I would be an idiot to suggest his record at Villa was anything other than shocking, but what were the reasons? His biggest mistake was signing Coutinho, not only was the player a one dimensional wastrel....I think it sent out the wrong message to the rest of the squad...basically that Steven just liked his old mates. There has been a fair amount of chatter that SG lost the dressing room....and I have no reason to disbelieve that....once a few players start to down tools it's almost impossible to turn it around, it was clear for a long time before his dismissal that he was doomed. His record against Emery viewed after 38 games is stark, but goals conceded and clean sheets is almost the same...it was scoring the goals where the problem lay. It was a disaster of an appointment all round, but not enough to right off a whole career. I was/am appalled at his going to Saudi due to the Kingdoms Human rights violations....(Still today one of only two countries that have the death penalty for homosexuality)....but in truth who of us would be able to turn down that kind of money?..Going for the big money would seemingly have destroyed his professional managerial career in an instant. Who of any of us hasn't learned from past mistakes?
      Like everyone else I'll support whoever comes in....I'm with FL Red...hoping JK has a major rethink.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,534 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #709: Mar 29, 2024 11:09:28 am
      It is a pity Pepi Lijnders wants to leave, he would have been an ideal choice, for thed job.

I think he is doing right thing going away to start his own management career elsewhere. Never know he may be back in a few years.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,291 posts | 763 
      Reply #710: Mar 29, 2024 11:11:15 am
      There are detached in Huyton 😉
      I'm from Huyton and it seems I'm detached :laugh:
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,291 posts | 763 
      Reply #711: Mar 29, 2024 11:13:38 am
      Sorry Stuey...looks like I've deleted your last post by accident...Apologies totally unintended.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #712: Mar 29, 2024 11:18:49 am
      Sorry Stuey...looks like I've deleted your last post by accident...Apologies totally unintended.

No worries you can only delete my comment on your site, doesn't affect the general version.

I'm from Huyton and it seems I'm detached :laugh:

Me too and the condition appears to be widespread!
      « Last Edit: Mar 29, 2024 11:33:11 am by stuey »

Quick Reply