Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Managerial Shortlist

Read 54515 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Re: Managerial Shortlist
      Reply #713: Mar 29, 2024 11:28:59 am
      Very rare to I read a somewhat! 😱 post from you as you’re very level headed. However! there’s always a first. 😂this is the one.  :lmao:

SG as manager 😱😱😱 You bin smokin that  :cool-smiley-027: Aussie Red sh!t 😂😂

As a manc I certainly hope you’re right mate because that’s a guarantee  joining United in the middle of the pack, maybe worse.

Longy, he’s not your man mate. Hopefully you’re back on here quoting my post on how wrong I was and you were right.  ;D

The overriding fact is Stevie knows he's not ready for a position of such magnitude and even with a lifetime's experience would possibly be unable to match the achievements of JK.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #714: Mar 29, 2024 11:30:11 am
      I think too many thought Xabi was a given. Still might happen but far from a guarantee.

Amorim probably the leading candidate.

On De Zerbi, I'd rather have Potter then him. Think Potter still has unfulfilled potential
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #715: Mar 29, 2024 11:36:32 am
      I think too many thought Xabi was a given. Still might happen but far from a guarantee.

Amorim probably the leading candidate.

On De Zerbi, I'd rather have Potter then him. Think Potter still has unfulfilled potential

Amorim does seem a viable choice and the finances involved would appeal to JWH and Co.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #716: Mar 29, 2024 11:38:29 am
      Amorim does seem a viable choice and the finances involved would appeal to JWH and Co.

When you look at it objectively he's probably a stronger candidate than Xabi anyway.

If Xabi had never played for us he'd not have been as clear a favourite in many people's eyes.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,292 posts | 1664 
      Reply #717: Mar 29, 2024 11:45:17 am
      When you look at it objectively he's probably a stronger candidate than Xabi anyway.

If Xabi had never played for us he'd not have been as clear a favourite in many people's eyes.

Yep take the sentiment out which I guarantee Edwards will and Xabi would be further down the list than some.may think
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #718: Mar 29, 2024 11:51:09 am

Yup. Only 1 year into his management career.

Take away emotions and we really need someone with much more experience
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #719: Mar 29, 2024 11:51:38 am
      Quote from HUYTON RED
      Let it go.

The above you posted about the Alonso transfer is complete horseshit otherwise we would of accepted Juve's offer the season before!!

We needed the £30 million to pay off the debt on the loan same as the F***ing Mascherano transfer to Barcelona.

Wrong again.

We didn't accept anything at the time because of another midfield injury crisis, just as he was on the brink of being unceremoniously thrown out of the club, like so many of his teammates were before and after him. Then suddenly Xabi was needed for the following season, to remind us all of the qualities he had. Sadly he left a year later, after his manager openly admitted recently that any decent players we had, were a priority to get rid of, rather than those who were clearly out of their depth at this club. He left them there, and we snowballed down to 7th.

Unlike Xabi, Mascherano did want to leave, and had his bags packed ready to go, months before we officially accepted the offer on the table.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #720: Mar 29, 2024 11:53:06 am
      Quote from -LFC-
      Left Rangers too soon. His Villa side were absolutely awful towards the end and leaving for the riches of Saudi in a joke of a league cements that one as a complete non-starter.

You make it sound as if going to Saudi is some sort of offence. What was he supposed to do, wait around for Jürgen to leave? He has already won one league title, and came within 20 minutes of winning one for us a couple of years ago. Has that been forgotten all of a sudden?

He's still the most natural fit for the job imo. He  understands everything there is to know about the club, and it's his ultimate job, not seeing it merely as a stepping stone to somewhere else. He won't demand time, there's no need for a settling in period or a radical overhaul of the squad. All he needs is a call from the board with an offer, and he's got the job.

After he retired, Jürgen brought him here as a coach to help get him started, so he knows everyone there. If we're to have any hope of stemming the tide of players looking to flee the place when Jürgen leaves, we need someone that everyone in the squad respects. It looks like he won't get the job, but I honestly can't think of a more suitable candidate.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,218 posts | 1221 
      Reply #721: Mar 29, 2024 12:04:49 pm
      You make it sound as if going to Saudi is some sort of offence. What was he supposed to do, wait around for Jürgen to leave? He has already won one league title, and came within 20 minutes of winning one for us a couple of years ago. Has that been forgotten all of a sudden?

He's still the most natural fit for the job imo. He  understands everything there is to know about the club, and it's his ultimate job, not seeing it merely as a stepping stone to somewhere else. He won't demand time, there's no need for a settling in period or a radical overhaul of the squad. All he needs is a call from the board with an offer, and he's got the job.

After he retired, Jürgen brought him here as a coach to help get him started, so he knows everyone there. If we're to have any hope of stemming the tide of players looking to flee the place when Jürgen leaves, we need someone that everyone in the squad respects. It looks like he won't get the job, but I honestly can't think of a more suitable candidate.

Get a job in a proper league and try to rehabilitate his managerial career? You don't seriously think our owners, who are highly analytical and data driven, would hire Stevie because of his connection with us, regardless of his actual performance as a manager at the required level? Seriously fella, you don't half talk bollocks for someone who sounds so sure of his opinions.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,127 posts | 83 
      Reply #722: Mar 29, 2024 12:22:11 pm
      Rafa Benitez. He'd come. Done.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8572 
      Reply #723: Mar 29, 2024 12:27:32 pm

He'd also cause across the waters head to explode!!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #724: Mar 29, 2024 12:30:00 pm

Knowing the club is a tiny aspect of what's needed to succeed here.

Gerrard hadn't shown much else that would have him anywhere near a list of replacements if he'd never had played for us beforehand.

Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,308 posts | 773 
      Reply #725: Mar 29, 2024 12:31:30 pm
      So it seems it was valid to appoint Alonso due to his LFC connection, yet it's totally invalid to chase SG for his LFC connection....that seems a bit irrational to me.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8572 
      Reply #726: Mar 29, 2024 12:31:32 pm
      Wrong again.

We didn't accept anything at the time because of another midfield injury crisis, just as he was on the brink of being unceremoniously thrown out of the club, like so many of his teammates were before and after him. Then suddenly Xabi was needed for the following season, to remind us all of the qualities he had. Sadly he left a year later, after his manager openly admitted recently that any decent players we had, were a priority to get rid of, rather than those who were clearly out of their depth at this club. He left them there, and we snowballed down to 7th.

Unlike Xabi, Mascherano did want to leave, and had his bags packed ready to go, months before we officially accepted the offer on the

table.

Complete bullshit but it all ties in to your Rafa hating narrative.

Forgot you're like the insurrectionists in the U.S who genuinely have lost their minds and will say anything as long as it ties in with you think you believe.

What you're really saying is you're a gullible c**t who bought H & G's bullshit.

Were you ever mates with Jaimie Kanwar?
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,875 posts | 419 
      Reply #727: Mar 29, 2024 12:37:35 pm
      I genuienly don't understand all the toxicity surrounding him....Seems to me there's a load of unproven no marks in the frame...Anyway that's my call for what it's worth....which is nothing.

No toxicity here cracking player, cracking captain. Better than many on here even give him credit for. In his prime Under Klopp he'd possibly have been even better.

Hes not an elite manager.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8572 
      Reply #728: Mar 29, 2024 12:45:28 pm

Never forgiven the c**t for the awful Istanbul pen :laugh:

Joyce going with the he's staying at Bayer angle

I'm with Redbelle on this, just not Di Zerbi.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,308 posts | 773 
      Reply #729: Mar 29, 2024 12:45:51 pm

Gerrard hadn't shown much else that would have him anywhere near a list of replacements if he'd never had played for us beforehand.
      Granted you can't go on sentiment alone, but knowledge of the club can be be factored in, as can overall context: Gerrard failed at Villa, so is that it?...finished, redundant, a hopeless basket case written off forever? We ALL make mistakes, and if we're not stupid, we learn from them so as not to repeat them.
      I'd give him a chance if for no other reason than the list of alternatives is frankly dire. Whoever comes in I suspect we're in for a period of instability.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,308 posts | 773 
      Reply #730: Mar 29, 2024 12:53:12 pm
      No toxicity here cracking player, cracking captain. Better than many on here even give him credit for. In his prime Under Klopp he'd possibly have been even better.

Hes not an elite manager.
      I agree he's not an elite manager....neither are any of the other names doing the rounds this morning....Gentlemen are we being serious with Potter, De Zerbi, Amorim?...The Portuguese league isn't great.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8572 
      Reply #731: Mar 29, 2024 01:02:29 pm
      So it seems it was valid to appoint Alonso due to his LFC connection, yet it's totally invalid to chase SG for his LFC connection....that seems a bit irrational to me.

Because as has been shown this season, Xabi's got a little bit more up top than Stevie has. Same  as when they were players. Gerrard went with heart over brain. Like Rafa said that time during the derby when he brought him off for Lucas.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8572 
      Reply #732: Mar 29, 2024 01:04:20 pm
      Yup. Only 1 year into his management career.

Take away emotions and we really need someone with much more experience

And of that option bombs, Edwards is gonna find he hasn't got Klopp to save him from the Wolves.

I'm gonna be honest and say Klopp is the genius more than Edwards!
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #733: Mar 29, 2024 01:10:44 pm
      Quote from srslfc

He's only won one national league title. Which is more than what most of the other candidates have.

Knowing what makes the club tick should give a candidate an advantage. We'll never have to worry about Gerrard not getting us.

Quote from -LFC-
      Get a job in a proper league and try to rehabilitate his managerial career? You don't seriously think our owners, who are highly analytical and data driven, would hire Stevie because of his connection with us, regardless of his actual performance as a manager at the required level? Seriously.

I notice that none of the key questions in my last post were answered.

I know how analytical they are. They are the same owners who used all their analysis to summon the King to Boston to dismiss him. Thanks to that, we had to wait another 7 years to win something else.

We should have a very clear idea who will get the job by now. Jürgen told them 4 months ago of his intentions, it wasn't yesterday. This can be sorted in less than an hour by giving Steve a call. He's the obvious candidate. If they want to break a contract and fork out up to €25mn in compensation on an appointment which may or may not work out, they can look somewhere else and the process will drag out even longer.
      Don77

• 6,540 posts | 1091 
      Reply #734: Mar 29, 2024 01:12:24 pm
      And of that option bombs, Edwards is gonna find he hasn't got Klopp to save him from the Wolves.

I'm gonna be honest and say Klopp is the genius more than Edwards!

Yep. As i said above, klopp is the guts, the heart and the reason we have done what we have. Hes left a talented group of players no doubt but we are losing the best in the business.

Gerrard has proven nothing to be considered. And creaming the saudi blood money isnt proving anything either.
      Don77

• 6,540 posts | 1091 
      Reply #735: Mar 29, 2024 01:19:27 pm
      Made official. Xabi not leaving. As expected all along. No surpise. Eyes firmly fixed on Madrid after a year or so in the CL.

Quick Reply