Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Managerial Shortlist

Read 54528 times
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: Managerial Shortlist
      Reply #736: Mar 29, 2024 01:34:11 pm
      And of that option bombs, Edwards is gonna find he hasn't got Klopp to save him from the Wolves.

I'm gonna be honest and say Klopp is the genius more than Edwards!

Absolutely.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #737: Mar 29, 2024 01:35:21 pm
      Now official from xabi. Staying out. Very sensible.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,999 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #738: Mar 29, 2024 01:43:31 pm
      Iā€™m not arsed about Alonso not fancying a move to us right now. Heā€™s only had one season at the top - pretty much every candidate for the job has major flaws compared to Klopp anyway so itā€™s hard to get too attached to one target.

I think when you look at the sudden turnaround Villa made under Emery then itā€™s pretty clear Gerrard didnā€™t just underperform. It was a borderline disaster.

I think Stevie himself knows the dream is dead in the water. I donā€™t think heā€™d have fu**ed off to Saudi if he thought it was on as thatā€™s just killed his chances even more.

I think your spot on chats.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 765 
      Reply #739: Mar 29, 2024 01:44:07 pm
      No idea who will eventually be appointed, as manager by FSG, although it is fair to say, he will have an impossible task of filling JĆ¼rgen's boots for sure. Whoever steps into the hot seat will need the full support of the fans, to succeed.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,288 posts | 1401 
      Reply #740: Mar 29, 2024 01:44:50 pm
      Nagelsman..DeZerbi..Amor im..Gerrard.

Nagelsman won Bundesliga at Bayern, then was sacked following season. De Zerbi doing OK at Brighton but not all that much on his CV to justify being the man for us. Amorim won the league in Portugal in 20/21 and is top now but again it's not a CV to say he's the man. Gerrard won the Scottish premier league in his third season at Rangers.

T'other bloke who should be considered is Tuchel. won in France,UK and Germany. Champion league winner and runner up. So at 50, more experienced than the others. Klopp is a fan as well. Always a bit of off field aggro at Bayern. He won the league first go. And he's a freebie..

« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2024 01:55:27 pm by Harrisimo »
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,999 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #741: Mar 29, 2024 01:45:57 pm
      I'm 100% sure I've posted worse drivel than this. Rather than going along with the crowd on this, I formed my opinion dispassionately, based on a number of variables. I would be an idiot to suggest his record at Villa was anything other than shocking, but what were the reasons? His biggest mistake was signing Coutinho, not only was the player a one dimensional wastrel....I think it sent out the wrong message to the rest of the squad...basically that Steven just liked his old mates. There has been a fair amount of chatter that SG lost the dressing room....and I have no reason to disbelieve that....once a few players start to down tools it's almost impossible to turn it around, it was clear for a long time before his dismissal that he was doomed. His record against Emery viewed after 38 games is stark, but goals conceded and clean sheets is almost the same...it was scoring the goals where the problem lay. It was a disaster of an appointment all round, but not enough to right off a whole career. I was/am appalled at his going to Saudi due to the Kingdoms Human rights violations....(Still today one of only two countries that have the death penalty for homosexuality)....but in truth who of us would be able to turn down that kind of money?..Going for the big money would seemingly have destroyed his professional managerial career in an instant. Who of any of us hasn't learned from past mistakes?
      Like everyone else I'll support whoever comes in....I'm with FL Red...hoping JK has a major rethink.

You certainly donā€™t post drivel la, very good poster for me.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #742: Mar 29, 2024 01:55:01 pm
      I think too many thought Xabi was a given. Still might happen but far from a guarantee.

Amorim probably the leading candidate.

On De Zerbi, I'd rather have Potter then him. Think Potter still has unfulfilled potential

Yep, I was one of them, thought heā€™d be nailed on and would jump at it, but we have to respect his decision maybe he feels JĆ¼rgenā€™s shoes are to big to fill at this point in his managerial career, and also showing loyalty to Leverkusen which should be admired,
      So who indeed is likely to fill JĆ¼rgenā€™s shoes, many touting RDZ, Unai Emery, Amorim, etc, RDZ unproven for me , as is Amorim, Unai has shown he struggles with the ā€˜Bigger Clubā€™ tag,

Pep Ljinders fits ideally but he wants pastures new and perhaps his heart & head lie elsewhere, maybe Micheal Edwards can dissuade him from going and then form a new partnership deal moving forward, 🤷

Iā€™m slightly disappointed Xabi is staying put, and yes I put all my eggs in one basket, so in for a penny and all of that Iā€™m chucking another name in that wonā€™t go down to wellā€¦ā€¦Ange Postacogluā€¦..especially if yer a Spuds fanā€¦..

He another that ticks a lot of boxes for meā€¦do I think weā€™ll land himā€¦truthfullyā€¦..probably not butā€¦WHY NOT Iā€™m askingā€¦.yes it would cause ructions and weā€™d probably be hated even moreā€¦but F**k it this is a dog eat dog business weā€™re in and the dust would soon settleā€¦.. Spuds could end up RDZā€¦.and weā€™d have a manager who is a Supporter and would only want what we all wantā€¦.so thatā€™s halve the battle right thereā€¦

ā€¦.id like to think that his name at least would have been thought of as a alternative to Xabiā€¦.maybe he is on that listā€¦who knowsā€¦I think heā€™d do well here, he has a aura of calmness about him, heā€™s methodical and we have seen his style of playā€¦..not too dissimilar to our ownā€¦..letā€™s get Ange in, now who would like to join my campaign to bring him here ??

You up for it Aussiered, Iā€™m hearing heā€™s a good mate of yourā€™s ??

YNWA

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,999 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #743: Mar 29, 2024 02:02:20 pm
      You make it sound as if going to Saudi is some sort of offence. What was he supposed to do, wait around for JĆ¼rgen to leave? He has already won one league title, and came within 20 minutes of winning one for us a couple of years ago. Has that been forgotten all of a sudden?

He's still the most natural fit for the job imo. He  understands everything there is to know about the club, and it's his ultimate job, not seeing it merely as a stepping stone to somewhere else. He won't demand time, there's no need for a settling in period or a radical overhaul of the squad. All he needs is a call from the board with an offer, and he's got the job.

After he retired, JĆ¼rgen brought him here as a coach to help get him started, so he knows everyone there. If we're to have any hope of stemming the tide of players looking to flee the place when JĆ¼rgen leaves, we need someone that everyone in the squad respects. It looks like he won't get the job, but I honestly can't think of a more suitable candidate.

Anyone whoā€™s got any ambition of becoming a top manager  doesnā€™t fcuk off to Saudi, so yes it is a offence. He clearly knew after the Villa job he didnā€™t have what it takes. Unai Emery made who look very very bad given what he did when he took over. SG basically moved so he would become financially secure for the rest of his life along with his children and grandkids of the future.

So you think because SG a natural fit ( which he is on paper )) thatā€™s enough to take the most decorated ( trophy wise ) side in English football  the managers job. 🤦ā€ā™‚ļø🤦ā€ā™‚ļø Christ thatā€™s even worse than wearing rose tints. 🤦ā€ā™‚ļø

Itā€™s no wonder members give you so much stick. Youā€™re arguable the worse poster on these boards. You clearly donā€™t know how football works. Much as SG a legend on the pitch, off it heā€™s totally inept as a manager.

Harrisimo

• 8,288 posts | 1401 
      Reply #744: Mar 29, 2024 02:12:22 pm
      CV wise Tuchel is way ahead of the names that have been mentioned. Pep said he's one of the few he can learn from. Very tactical manager. Been said he's a perfectionist. Plans and prepares for every eventuality. Can motivate and is a good communicator.

No Xabi...then I'm going for Tuchel. It's the common sense and possibly the safest appointment. Needs an experienced proven winner.
      Millsy75
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 305 posts | 47 
      Reply #745: Mar 29, 2024 02:16:23 pm
      You certainly donā€™t post drivel la, very good poster for me.
      heres some drivel for ya,we end up playing leverkusen in final and JĆ¼rgen tw*ts em 7 nil and we all go thank F**k we never got alonso,🤣🤣
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,999 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #746: Mar 29, 2024 02:18:54 pm

Yep, I was one of them, thought heā€™d be nailed on and would jump at it, but we have to respect his decision maybe he feels JĆ¼rgenā€™s shoes are to big to fill at this point in his managerial career,

YNWA

Yeah yet another one you got totally wrong, you get fed up of calling them. 😂

On a serious note though Iā€™m racking my brains out ( yes I know there in my arse 😂 ) why if what we believe what  the media says heā€™s staying put why? 

I can only think of two reasons.

(1) He knows that no matter who takes Klopps position he canā€™t be matched. I think thatā€™s understandable given Alonso only been a manager 5 mins.

(2) Alonso knows heā€™s not ready for the step up which is mature thinking from his part if true. Letā€™s be honest given a chance of managing Liverpool or Leverkusen the former wins every time. Could be a very shrewd move by Alonso as letā€™s be honest heā€™s got age on his side to become Liverpool manager onceā€™s proven with a trophy or two in the cabinet.

So whoā€™s your next pick? Maybe buy a luck bag and let me know who comes out.  :lmao:
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,999 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #747: Mar 29, 2024 02:21:01 pm
      heres some drivel for ya,we end up playing leverkusen in final and JĆ¼rgen tw*ts em 7 nil and we all go thank F**k we never got alonso,🤣🤣

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Itā€™s possible as Alonso no match for Klopp just yet. However, what does it say if he beats you lot? I think you lot already got name on Europa Cup. 🤮🤮🤮
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #748: Mar 29, 2024 02:39:57 pm
      Yeah yet another one you got totally wrong, you get fed up of calling them. 😂

On a serious note though Iā€™m racking my brains out ( yes I know there in my arse 😂 ) why if what we believe what  the media says heā€™s staying put why? 

I can only think of two reasons.

(1) He knows that no matter who takes Klopps position he canā€™t be matched. I think thatā€™s understandable given Alonso only been a manager 5 mins.

(2) Alonso knows heā€™s not ready for the step up which is mature thinking from his part if true. Letā€™s be honest given a chance of managing Liverpool or Leverkusen the former wins every time. Could be a very shrewd move by Alonso as letā€™s be honest heā€™s got age on his side to become Liverpool manager onceā€™s proven with a trophy or two in the cabinet.

So whoā€™s your next pick? Maybe buy a luck bag and let me know who comes out.  :lmao:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
      Canā€™t be right all the time fucknuts, Alonso was top of everyoneā€™s probable list , well most, including media Muppets,  F**k knows now who will come in but we can all speculate as we did with Xabi,ā€¦.in the back of my mind Iā€™m looking at Pep Ljinders, but heā€™ll need the backing and the persuasion tactics of Micheal Edwards, butā€¦.if Edwards has to use his best skills to get Ljinders then perhaps Ljinders head & heart lies elswhere ?

Big Ange should also be on the WANTED list and if not Why Not ?

Whoever has a massive job on, but he has to be his own man, and we as fans shouldnā€™t expect too much initially, he has to be given enough time to instill his own ways, so maybe in that respect Xabi wasnā€™t quite ready for such a appointment, maybe his inexperience has went against him at this time,

Big Ange has big shoulders, heā€™s been around the block more times than Xabi, could he carry the burden of filling JĆ¼rgenā€™s shoes ??  🤷🙉🙈🙊🤣🖕

YNWA

rossyred

• 9,292 posts | 1664 
      Reply #749: Mar 29, 2024 02:45:52 pm
      What system does Amorim.go with 3-4-3 ?.Know very little about him
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #750: Mar 29, 2024 02:49:41 pm
      I think any well established manager is going to struggle because theyā€™ll never achieve what Klopp has and their background will mean thatā€™s the expectation.

If not Alonso it needs to be someone with a similar profile as an up and coming manager as it will give them the patience they need.

But flip side is we might end up with a Roberto Martinez v Brendan Rodgers shoot out again and Dave Whelan dishing all the updates to sky news :D
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,999 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #751: Mar 29, 2024 03:01:58 pm

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
      Canā€™t be right all the time fucknuts, Alonso was top of everyoneā€™s probable list , well most, including media Muppets,  F**k knows now who will come in but we can all speculate as we did with Xabi,ā€¦.in the back of my mind Iā€™m looking at Pep Ljinders, but heā€™ll need the backing and the persuasion tactics of Micheal Edwards, butā€¦.if Edwards has to use his best skills to get Ljinders then perhaps Ljinders head & heart lies elswhere ?

Big Ange should also be on the WANTED list and if not Why Not ?

Whoever has a massive job on, but he has to be his own man, and we as fans shouldnā€™t expect too much initially, he has to be given enough time to instill his own ways, so maybe in that respect Xabi wasnā€™t quite ready for such a appointment, maybe his inexperience has went against him at this time,

Big Ange has big shoulders, heā€™s been around the block more times than Xabi, could he carry the burden of filling JĆ¼rgenā€™s shoes ??  🤷🙉🙈🙊🤣🖕

YNWA

Have you got any right yet?  :lmao:

Im with him across the water, think SG the perfect candidate  :f_whistle: " i would love it" if you got him.  ;D
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,049 posts | 3431 
      Reply #752: Mar 29, 2024 03:14:31 pm
      So it seems it was valid to appoint Alonso due to his LFC connection, yet it's totally invalid to chase SG for his LFC connection....that seems a bit irrational to me.

For Gerrard to Liverpool just look at OGS

Both did ok at smaller clubs in a smaller league - both failed horribly when stepping into the big leagues and being found out

You canā€™t appoint a manager on sentiment

DanMann

• 5,761 posts | 884 
      Reply #753: Mar 29, 2024 03:15:55 pm
      Made official. Xabi not leaving. As expected all along. No surpise. Eyes firmly fixed on Madrid after a year or so in the CL.

He is dead to us. Lost his legendary status.

Would be nice to draw Leverkusen and smash them

Move on

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,049 posts | 3431 
      Reply #754: Mar 29, 2024 03:17:07 pm
      You make it sound as if going to Saudi is some sort of offence. What was he supposed to do, wait around for JĆ¼rgen to leave? He has already won one league title, and came within 20 minutes of winning one for us a couple of years ago. Has that been forgotten all of a sudden?

He's still the most natural fit for the job imo. He  understands everything there is to know about the club, and it's his ultimate job, not seeing it merely as a stepping stone to somewhere else. He won't demand time, there's no need for a settling in period or a radical overhaul of the squad. All he needs is a call from the board with an offer, and he's got the job.

After he retired, JĆ¼rgen brought him here as a coach to help get him started, so he knows everyone there. If we're to have any hope of stemming the tide of players looking to flee the place when JĆ¼rgen leaves, we need someone that everyone in the squad respects. It looks like he won't get the job, but I honestly can't think of a more suitable candidate.

What does nearly winning the league as a player have to do with being suitable for the managers job ?

It doesnā€™t fit the job one single bit
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6948 
      Reply #755: Mar 29, 2024 03:47:04 pm
      Klopp has enormous shoes to fill and can totally understand why Alonso didn't want to fill them.

New manager who is going to endure a tougher second season at Leverkusen.

But I don't think we should wait around for him and plug in an interim boss.

Players need to know whoever comes in is coming in for a lengthy period.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6948 
      Reply #756: Mar 29, 2024 03:50:52 pm
      So it seems it was valid to appoint Alonso due to his LFC connection, yet it's totally invalid to chase SG for his LFC connection....that seems a bit irrational to me.

Gerrard isn't up to the job. Not even sure long term if he will remain in coaching.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,309 posts | 773 
      Reply #757: Mar 29, 2024 03:59:06 pm
      For Gerrard to Liverpool just look at OGS

Both did ok at smaller clubs in a smaller league - both failed horribly when stepping into the big leagues and being found out

You canā€™t appoint a manager on sentiment
      Alonso was "Sentiment"
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,309 posts | 773 
      Reply #758: Mar 29, 2024 04:11:09 pm
      He is dead to us. Lost his legendary status.

Would be nice to draw Leverkusen and smash them

Move on
      I agree....He's been offered the Golden Ticket...The Keys to the magic Kingdom, but it's his choice and he has decided to stay put....Our loss? perhaps...but definitely his loss tenfold. I hope we're never in a position were we go back in for him.....he's had his opportunity, for me, if you snub LFC, then you can do one.
        None of can see the future, the next guy in might win us the league in his first season...or he could lose 15 games on the spin and be ushered out the door....nobody knows. It's an unsettling time for sure.

Quick Reply