Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Managerial Shortlist

Read 55216 times
      shawspeed and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,072 posts | 3438 
      Re: Managerial Shortlist
      Reply #1035: Apr 16, 2024 09:31:48 am
      Honestly ive no stand out in my head, I just think the media have picked 3 names in particular ( Xabi, Amorim and De Zerbi ) Xabi looks like hes staying put and the other 2, have they done anything near enough to suggest they can do it??

If you were to hold a gun to my head id say Tuchel might be the out of nowhere hiring.

By the  way one man we all said about a year ago, but who has not been mentioned is Gerrard. A poor stint in a joke league seems to have taken him from peoples thoughts, but if it was him I dont think Id be too surprised, or annoyed, I would have good faith in him to do a job at his club surrounded by the right people

Gerrard was mentioned a lot of times

But he shouldn’t be anywhere near the job

And it’s not just his poor stint in Saudi, it was also his poor stint with Villa as well

There is no football reason for him to be in the mix
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #1036: Apr 16, 2024 09:51:22 am
      Honestly ive no stand out in my head, I just think the media have picked 3 names in particular ( Xabi, Amorim and De Zerbi ) Xabi looks like hes staying put and the other 2, have they done anything near enough to suggest they can do it??

If you were to hold a gun to my head id say Tuchel might be the out of nowhere hiring.

By the  way one man we all said about a year ago, but who has not been mentioned is Gerrard. A poor stint in a joke league seems to have taken him from peoples thoughts, but if it was him I dont think Id be too surprised, or annoyed, I would have good faith in him to do a job at his club surrounded by the right people

Sorry Bri but I'd be annoyed if it was Gerrard.

Nothing he has done in his managerial career so far suggests he's anywhere close to what we need.

Knowing the club doesn't cut it for me. It does of all the other attributes are there but I don't think they are
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,024 posts | 2718 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1037: Apr 16, 2024 09:52:39 am

What’s the rush ?
      To me they should take all the time it takes, obviously once this season is over we’d want the new guy in soon as, but they won’t announce anything before then, end of May or sometime in June would be my guess , I think the decision will have been taken already, and I’d be surprised if it wasn’t Amorim but we’ll see soon enough!!

Who you thinking of Brian??

Fat Sam available BillyBob    :f_whistle:
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,024 posts | 2718 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1038: Apr 16, 2024 09:54:48 am
      Gerrard was mentioned a lot of times

But he shouldn’t be anywhere near the job

And it’s not just his poor stint in Saudi, it was also his poor stint with Villa as well

There is no football reason for him to be in the mix

I have to agree, much as I’d love him to be your new manager it would be your biggest mistake for the club going forward.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,072 posts | 3438 
      Reply #1039: Apr 16, 2024 09:55:05 am

Nothing he has done in his managerial career so far suggests he's anywhere close to what we need.

Knowing the club doesn't cut it for me. It does of all the other attributes are there but I don't think they are

I don’t expect the club to be looking at Gerrard - the owners are not sentimental like that and someone have connections with the club will be low down on the list of requirements
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,270 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1040: Apr 16, 2024 10:01:06 am
      Im not saying hes the right man, but I wouldnt dismiss him on villa and saudi, funny old game as they say. You never know what being in the right place can do to someone
      redno7
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 156 posts | 10 
      Reply #1041: Apr 16, 2024 10:31:59 am
      No they aren't....one sh*t source mentioned it.

wow, aggressive little person are ya? pipe down Karen.

I've seen it on at least 3 different sources and I'm simply stating it as a rumour, not saying its a done deal

jeez chill out fella
      redno7
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 156 posts | 10 
      Reply #1042: Apr 16, 2024 10:37:39 am
      So who is on the shortlist do you reckon? Purely speculation mind, don't get excited...

Emery?
      Tuchel?
      De Zerbi?
      Amorin?
      Naglesman?

Its kind of exciting really but also a bit worrying as some of the available names don't fill me with much hope
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,072 posts | 3438 
      Reply #1043: Apr 16, 2024 11:07:27 am
      I think it’s all sorted for Amorin to come in

Just waiting for the season to end

First choice was Xabi

Then Amorin

Then Nagelsmann
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #1044: Apr 16, 2024 12:54:24 pm
      So who is on the shortlist do you reckon? Purely speculation mind, don't get excited...

Emery?
      Tuchel?
      De Zerbi?
      Amorin?
      Naglesman?

Its kind of exciting really but also a bit worrying as some of the available names don't fill me with much hope

Looks like Nagelsmann is going back to Bayern
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #1045: Apr 16, 2024 03:06:10 pm
      I don’t expect the club to be looking at Gerrard - the owners are not sentimental like that and someone have connections with the club will be low down on the list of requirements

I don’t see the ownership group having much input into the coaching decision, if at all. They probably don’t even know who Amorin is.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5005 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #1046: Apr 16, 2024 05:42:38 pm

Spot on this, no way Ste should be anywhere near the managers seat, and if he was honest he’d be doing the club he loves a disservice, he knows he isn’t good enough,
      It’s went a tad quiet in regards to our Pep, it was rumoured he was after the Ajax job but not sure of his progress, at the time we all had a vision of Xabi coming in but the goal posts have since shifted, just wondering if he was indeed offered the chance would he still move on ?
      He’d ideal for obvious reasons, but would he want it enough??

YNWA
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 733 
      Reply #1047: Apr 16, 2024 07:54:33 pm
      If we can get a manager that can motivate these players even remotely similar to the way Klopp does and not get as much injuries as they do currently. We would be in really good stead
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,333 posts | 281 
      Reply #1048: Apr 16, 2024 10:03:05 pm
      Will we deffo go for a long term appointment?
      I'd imagine so but if the guy we want isn't available or the type of guy would we appoint an experienced manager then go for Alonso at a later date...I don't know?
      What I'm saying us are we a project or are we already a force who'll challenge for the CL and PL next season, a ready made squad for a proven manager?
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,220 posts | 1221 
      Reply #1049: Apr 16, 2024 10:53:54 pm
      Will we deffo go for a long term appointment?
      I'd imagine so but if the guy we want isn't available or the type of guy would we appoint an experienced manager then go for Alonso at a later date...I don't know?
      What I'm saying us are we a project or are we already a force who'll challenge for the CL and PL next season, a ready made squad for a proven manager?

Wouldn't say we're a 'project' in the sense of what someone usually means when they buy a house. We are capable of challenging, as we have shown, but also have a lot more work to do in several areas.

No chance IMO that we hang about waiting for Xabi on the hope he might join us a year or two down the line. It will be a pick that the club has every intention of being for the long-term, as that's how the club plans. New ideas, fresh energy.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,333 posts | 281 
      Reply #1050: Apr 16, 2024 11:26:22 pm
      Wouldn't say we're a 'project' in the sense of what someone usually means when they buy a house. We are capable of challenging, as we have shown, but also have a lot more work to do in several areas.

No chance IMO that we hang about waiting for Xabi on the hope he might join us a year or two down the line. It will be a pick that the club has every intention of being for the long-term, as that's how the club plans. New ideas, fresh energy.

I agree with all of that. If we bring in Amorim for instance he'll be given time to shape and mould a team with the club and fans needing to be patient.
      On the other hand a manager like Tuchel (who has been mentioned on here) would be expected to be in the mix for trophies immediately is what I'm getting at .
      Nearly reached for the tin hat and said Mourinho or Benitez ...😏
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 733 
      Reply #1051: Apr 17, 2024 07:34:44 pm
      don't want tuchel, ancelotti, conte or Emery near this team. i'm shocked our fans would suggest such a thing
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5005 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #1052: Apr 18, 2024 05:59:41 am
      don't want tuchel, ancelotti, conte or Emery near this team. i'm shocked our fans would suggest such a thing

You just can’t dismiss a manager of Ancelloti’s calibre, he’s a serial winner, it won’t happen but if it did he’d make us serial winner’s too,
      Emery is a good manager at the level of club he’s at, but we seen how it worked out for him at Arsenal where the expectation is way way higher than at Villa, so no, he’s not the one for us imo,

Tuchel is a interesting thought, he seems to follow Jürgen around in the managerial stakes, there’s no doubting he’s indeed a good manager but it’s his own persona that’s not quite right for me, I don’t think he’ll get us the way Jürgen did/has, and that’s vitally important if you want the Anfield support behind you,

Conte, no thanks he’s behind Emery in the queue and just isn’t the right fit, same as Simeone, both need anger management before football management,

Amorim seems like a good fit, and I think he’ll be the one, but I’m still not ruling out Pep Ljinders as the surprise package even though it really shouldn’t be a surprise at all,
      Out of all those on the so called list, no one is more suited than him??

YNWA
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #1053: Apr 18, 2024 01:42:30 pm

All experienced winners.

I wouldn't discount them so quickly.

Not saying they should be top of any list but not wanting them anywhere near us is a silly statement for me
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 6386 
      Reply #1054: Apr 18, 2024 02:28:33 pm
      All experienced winners.

Not saying they should be top of any list but not wanting them anywhere near us is a silly statement for me

Maybe due to the idea that they wouldn't really be able to connect with the supporters. I can see that if that's the argument made...but like you said, any successful manager should at least be vetted. Still keeping my fingers crossed that Alonso is going to make a U-turn. Won't hold my breath.
      ToshackKeeganOneNil
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 561 posts | 110 
      Reply #1055: Apr 18, 2024 07:13:42 pm
      I've no idea who they'll go for and tbh I cannot think of a manager (apart from Xabi) who would genuinely excite me if they became manager.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 733 
      Reply #1056: Apr 19, 2024 02:08:51 am
      All experienced winners.

As a liverpool fan, you want an ex everton manager yeah?
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,184 posts | 1099 
      Reply #1057: Apr 19, 2024 04:05:26 am
      My dark horse is Gary O'Neal. Not saying he's great or anything, but he's done well in the premiership, all things considered, and he seems to have a good excitement behind him where ever he goes. We are a HUUUGGE jump up for him, but outside of 5 or 6 guys, someone is going to be taking a massive leap no matter how you look at it.

Still think Amorim is the guy

Quick Reply