Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Chelsea?

Alisson Becker
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Ibrahima Konaté
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      1 (1.2%)
      Conor Bradley
      73 (84.9%)
      Dominik Szoboszlai
      0 (0%)
      Alexis Mac Allister
      6 (7%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)
      Darwin Núñez
      4 (4.7%)
      Luis Diaz
      0 (0%)
      Diogo Jota
      2 (2.3%)
      Cody Gakpo
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      0 (0%)
      Bobby Clark
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Voting closed: Feb 04, 2024 10:14:13 pm

Liverpool 4-1 Chelsea: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 10483 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Re: Liverpool 4-1 Chelsea: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #483: Feb 01, 2024 02:03:41 pm
      Dare I whisper that not having Mo lately has improved us, or am I reading too much into it?

Does he walk straight back in if we keep dominating like this?

Mate, i was thinking the same thing. I think perhaps we have always relied on him too much and at times that shows up in our play, particularly if he is off his game. The team played with remarkable balance last night considering we didn't have a left-footer on the pitch until Robbo entered the fray.

Jota has been absolutely superb for weeks now, Diaz looked sharp last night, Nunez is um Nunez! The middle is playing with energy, Macca is fast becoming our most consistent player and the back four (no matter who plays) has looked excellent in front of Allisson.

What a performance last night, it was breath-taking. And the crowd were superb for 90 minutes. Maybe the announcement will give the team and the fans the extra 3-4% it takes to win the league this season. But with everything looking so good, youngsters coming through, squad players all contributing, competing on all four fronts i'm afraid my brain cannot reconcile the fact we are losing our Manager in the summer. It's freaking me out.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,064 posts | 2110 
      Reply #484: Feb 01, 2024 02:13:32 pm
      Mods - can we open the Moises Caicedo transfer thread? Just for the banter.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,755 posts | 863 
      Reply #485: Feb 01, 2024 02:55:41 pm
      Top notch performance from everyone involved, including Darwin. You could feel from minute 1 that a drubbing could be on the card. We simply overwhelmed them with our press with relentlessness that we haven't witnessed since maybe a season and a half ago. I think if Darwin scores his penalty, its 5-0 for us. F**k Chelski, their squad and fanbase. The only thing I don't dislike about their club is their manager (Poch). They even let go of the only likeable player they had in the squad (Kante).

We're turning on the afterburners and its the perfect timing to do so. I know the talk of the town is Bradley and Jota, but I have to tip my hat off to that midfield. Everybody in there played a fantastic game and they are the building block on which the team is creating good performances going forward and defending. Macca and Jones both have become players you feel very calm whenever they are on the ball. Tidy, no nonsense and press resistant. Without the ball they are pressing so well and so effectively its just beautiful to watch. Jones felt like that from the beginning of the season while Macca understandably took a few months to adapt and get to where he needs to be, but now I'm genuinely disappointed whenever I don't see his name in the 11 starters. Macca's passing repertoire is also something beautiful to witness.

I could go on about other 9 players but you get it, incredible team performance. I still have to single out Connor Bradley and Jota. Connor is giving Jürgen a proper headache eh? What do you do with Trent and him? Surely you can't leave him out of the starting 11, but the same can be said about TAA? So what will you do Jürgen?  :laugh: Jota is just fantastic. Best finished in the team by a mile and maybe even the league. Left foot, right foot, headers and once he's in the box and you see him about to shoot you know the keeper has no chance of stopping it because the lad is so good at choosing the corner opposite to which the keeper's momentum is taking him too and then its just precise and powerful finishing too.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,555 posts | 1669 
      • YNWA
      Reply #486: Feb 01, 2024 03:00:25 pm
      Dare I whisper that not having Mo lately has improved us, or am I reading too much into it?

Could say same about TAA.
      Mo and TAAs replacements have done great.
      That's not to say they are not important players, and won't come back in the team.
      And can't draw conclusions just based on recent good form.
      But it's food for thought, certainly for anyone arguing we can't do without Mo up front or TAA at RB.
      Best performance of the season last night imho.
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 318 posts | 80 
      Reply #487: Feb 01, 2024 03:04:55 pm
      Mate, i was thinking the same thing. I think perhaps we have always relied on him too much and at times that shows up in our play, particularly if he is off his game. The team played with remarkable balance last night considering we didn't have a left-footer on the pitch until Robbo entered the fray.

Jota has been absolutely superb for weeks now, Diaz looked sharp last night, Nunez is um Nunez! The middle is playing with energy, Macca is fast becoming our most consistent player and the back four (no matter who plays) has looked excellent in front of Allisson.

What a performance last night, it was breath-taking. And the crowd were superb for 90 minutes. Maybe the announcement will give the team and the fans the extra 3-4% it takes to win the league this season. But with everything looking so good, youngsters coming through, squad players all contributing, competing on all four fronts i'm afraid my brain cannot reconcile the fact we are losing our Manager in the summer. It's freaking me out.
      A wealth of talent now at right wing with Doaks also part of the conversation.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,023 posts | 3352 
      Reply #488: Feb 01, 2024 04:39:01 pm
      Another one chalked off and yet another Anfield victory with us scoring at least three goals.

Got the benefit of the doubt with the second penalty appeal in my eyes, first one was no one near a pen no matter how much Joe F***ing Cole protests otherwise. Second one, yeah I think we got away with that.

But even if it'd been given and they'd scored it, I still think we win comfortably because we F***ing twatted those cockney cu*ts last night. Admittedly they're an average side at best but we made them look ten times worse than that. Klopp once again masterminding an easy victory over that F***ing overrated tosser Pochettino. Goals spread round the team again. A young lad making a real name for himself. Injured players coming back to fitness. I mean it's all F***ing good right now.

You get the sense that there's a belief among this group of players. And almost a sense of we've got to give Jürgen the perfect send off for the players to show their gratitude towards the great man.

200 Premier League wins, not F***ing bad for Jürgen either. And one of our best performances under him.

I also just wanna make mention of Darwin Nunez because it seemed like last night Fletcher and McCoist doing the game didn't give a toss about the result or how well we'd played and instead were just labouring on the point that Darwin hit the woodwork a few times. One of which the keeper pushed onto the post and another where the keeper tipped it onto the bar yet they just wanted to harp on and on and on and on and on about him not scoring. Maybe he didn't score but Jota, Bradley, Szoboszlai and Diaz did. And those four goals resulted in three points and us moving five points clear again as we sit first in the League table.

Well F***ing done Reds. You may of guessed that I'm still F***ing buzzing after last night.

Alisson - not really much to say because Chelsea didn't threaten him. Goal he couldn't do much with. I remember him sliding out to stop Sterling, which was good. Was so easy for him that he was slicing balls with the outside of his boot over to Konate just before the break just so he could feel involved in the game.

Bradley - I mean what can you say about this kid? A few on here said we didn't buy a right back last summer because of Bradley's quality and were almost shot down for it. He's proving any doubters wrong. Defensively sound, offensively a threat. Just F***ing boss. Great desire to win the ball back for Jota's goal, great determination and skill for his own goal to burst clear and what a F***ing cross for the Szoboszlai header. Honestly la, just F***ing boss.

Konate - I keep saying it but get this lad signed up for life. He's a F***ing tank. And if there's a better moment in football that's resulted in me screaming "yes lad" than seeing him lob the ball over that money grabbing c**t Sterling, I've yet to see it. Some players tend to go under the rader by the masses but are universally adored by their club's fans and Ibou is in that bracket in my opinion.

Van Dijk - didn't have his greatest game and I think he'll be the first to admit that. As I said at the top, I think the first penalty appeal was a shocking claim from Chelsea but the second one was poor on Virg's part. And the goal itself, he got done a little easily for me. But he was still a rock for the majority of the game. I've said it at various times this season that he's got that aura back and it was shown again yesterday. Can't remember who it was (might of been that pr**k Palmer) who just didn't fancy even trying to outrun Van Dijk and gave it up as a lost cause.

Goalmez - hang on Joe, you didn't have a shot in this game (or not one I remember anyway). Defensively sound, moving into midfield seamlessly. And his importance to this squad is growing. Commentators need to realise though that he isn't filling in at left back for Robbo, he's filling in for Kostas who was, in turn, filling in for Robbo. I'd say Joe is doing more than just filling in as well.

Szoboszlai - fantastic header to cap his first start since New Year's Day with a goal. And while I'm usually critical of him, I thought he was outstanding yesterday without grabbing too many headlines. The month off, albeit enforced, has helped recapture his best form so far. Really good against Norwich and Chelsea.

Mac Allister - I had my doubts about him playing as the deepest of the midfield three but he's putting those doubts to bed. Whether the form of Endo has forced him to improve his own game to ensure he's a starter for us I don't know but Mac has been a totally different player from the one we saw on the opening day against these cu*ts. So dogged without the ball and so calm and classy with it. Best midfielder on show last night by a good margin. And proof we got the better end of the Brighton sales last summer.

Jones - as usual he had a few moments where he just dallied on the ball too long, one in particular where he missed the chance to play Nunez in and instead played when Darwin was ten yards offside. There was another where he got it pinched off him on the egde of their box, similar to the Norwich game. If he can cut that out then he'll be a fantastic all round midfielder because the rest of his game was there yesterday, it's just that habit of holding on to it too long.

Jota - he and Bradley down that right are forming such a good understanding that it's almost Trent and Mo standard. Really well taken goal, great show of strength to burst through both of their defenders and hold them off. Great composure to finish as well. Clear penalty such is his elusive play. Saw him strap an ice pack to his thigh when he came off, hopefully nothing serious because we need this lad for the run in. He is a goalscorer above all else.

Nunez - missed a few didn't he? I got a bit pissed off with him early on, taking on shots from the distance he was when he could have maybe drove forward and put himself in a better position. But he keeps going and going. And like Newcastle, he ends up with a really well executed assist. I mean what a cross for Lucho's goal. Only man to have ten goals and ten assists this season, he's now got eleven in each category. Massive player for us.

Diaz - I said it after Norwich or Newcastle (one or the other) that some see him as the weakest of our front five but I think he's boss and he showed it again yesterday. Not just goal, which showed great heart and desire to get there but his all-round game. Last year, he would drift in and out of games and only be involved for maybe five or ten minutes per game, now he's become a real nuisance for the entire game. Released the ball to Bradley at just the right time and looked geniunely made up the young right back to, Three goals in his last six games is starting to show signs that he's added the goals to his game people said he had to.

Alexander-Arnold - he's got a fight on his hands for that right back slot. Along with the rest of the subs, didn't really do much once they came on and if anything sort of distrupted our rhythm slightly. But good to see him getting some minutes under his belt before the Arsenal game where I suspect he'll be starting.

Robertson - like his fellow full back, he's got a fight on his hands because of the form of Joe Gomez. Also like Trent, didn't do much but a much needed run out for the Scotland skipper. I wouldn't be surprised by any combo of our four full backs against Arsenal such is the form of Bradley and Gomez but also the importance of Trent and Robbo.

Elliott - he was on the pitch but that's about it.

Gakpo - seemed intent on getting a goal, couple of speculative efforts from him but by and large worked the keeper. I think he probably knows he's fifth on the list for forwards so has to impress every time he can. And in fairness he normally does. I do think he's wasted out wide though, he needs to be central.

Clark - his sixth game for the club and can now say he's made more Liverpool appearances than the likes of Howard Gayle, Kevin Sheedy, Sean Dundee, Bernard Diomede and Jordan Rossiter. Be interesting to see what happens with him next season when the new manager comes in.

Overall, F***ing made up.

Five points clear after twenty-two games is nothing to be sneezed at when people were writing the season off before a ball had been kicked. And even though the squad is starting to come back to full fitness, we're still missing a couple as well which just shows F***ing good this squad is and how much Jürgen is motivating them.

This season could be really special for a number of reasons.

Just keep doing what you're doing Reds and one of those reasons will be trophies.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,389 posts | 2823 
      Reply #489: Feb 01, 2024 05:12:48 pm
      About Caicedo, we dodged a bullet . He seems lazy and can't be bothered to track his man and in our first goal he completely gave up.

The truth is Caicedo would have been an absolute diamond had we signed him.

It’s all about the manager and the environment and I’ve no doubt that if Jürgen wanted him he would have been a star.

Shame the c**t wanted London and that ludicrous contract.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,299 posts | 765 
      Reply #490: Feb 01, 2024 05:15:27 pm
      I must admit being a bit surprised that Jota did not take our penalty last night. I have been wondering since Salah's absence who would take the spot kicks.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,051 posts | 342 
      Reply #491: Feb 01, 2024 05:58:08 pm
      I must admit being a bit surprised that Jota did not take our penalty last night. I have been wondering since Salah's absence who would take the spot kicks.

I was pleased to see Mac standing on the spot with the ball while Jota was getting treatment, but next time I looked Darwin’s lining it up! This lad doesn’t want time to think about what he’ll do with it - exactly the situation he found himsrlf in - he’s all instinct and fire. Never looked confident waiting for the whistle, but hey, Mo’s missed a few, too!
      DanMann

• 5,761 posts | 886 
      Reply #492: Feb 01, 2024 06:23:49 pm

He slows down our play. He has zero pace and loses the ball a lot. Can't beat his man.

Been delighted with how well we have played without him.
      Don77

• 6,548 posts | 1093 
      Reply #493: Feb 01, 2024 06:29:39 pm
      He slows down our play. He has zero pace and loses the ball a lot. Can't beat his man.

Behave yourself. Salah zero pace, can't beat a man and always loses the ball. Congrats on the most laughable post of the year.

His statistics this season tell a different story. Can't wait till he's back in the team.

A player a salahs class, longevity and performances here since he joined deserves better than rubbish like that. You're entitled to your opinion but I don't agree.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,251 posts | 924 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #494: Feb 01, 2024 06:47:54 pm
      Well played last night thought we totally dominated the whole game. Just let’s hope Nunez put the ball 100 mm towards the centre of the goal and we will be ok, onwards and upwards you mighty reds
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,080 posts | 3442 
      Reply #495: Feb 01, 2024 07:02:41 pm

You really are abusing the right to be stupid
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,029 posts | 2720 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #496: Feb 01, 2024 07:15:04 pm

Surprised myself David. Jota first pick for me.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,029 posts | 2720 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #497: Feb 01, 2024 07:16:54 pm

Dan you’re not a manc in disguise are you. 😂
      DanMann

• 5,761 posts | 886 
      Reply #498: Feb 01, 2024 08:50:04 pm
      You really are abusing the right to be stupid

You hate the truth
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,946 posts | 5007 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #499: Feb 01, 2024 08:52:29 pm

Shut up You Tart, wtf are you on about ffs, all were seeing is how good or squad is and how we can adapt, and Not we can afford to sell Mo now that we haven’t missed him, F**k off with that idea !!
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,080 posts | 3442 
      Reply #500: Feb 01, 2024 08:56:19 pm
      You aren’t posting the truth
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,946 posts | 5007 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #501: Feb 01, 2024 09:01:02 pm

Truth is your being a tw*t, maybe you hate that !! But I’m just being honest !!
      Harrisimo

• 8,295 posts | 1403 
      Reply #502: Feb 01, 2024 10:29:30 pm
      I mean we are thorough are we not and it must've been agreed that Nunez would be the penalty taker. I mean did he take ball off Macca. I had a poor stream and only just caught the kick itself. Prior to that the camera focused on Macca, as if he was the taker, then I lost the link.

Hard to imagine Nunez was the nominated taker. This is not a pop at Nunez.He is a warrior 100%..I believe he was first over the hill at the Battle of the Little Bighorn and only a second cousin to John Wayne..that's all.
      DanMann

• 5,761 posts | 886 
      Reply #503: Feb 01, 2024 11:15:48 pm

Shut up You Tart, wtf are you on about ffs, all were seeing is how good or squad is and how we can adapt, and Not we can afford to sell Mo now that we haven’t missed him, F**k off with that idea !!

When your head has finished wobbling try to read again  :lmao:
      DanMann

• 5,761 posts | 886 
      Reply #504: Feb 01, 2024 11:16:26 pm

Has Salah been bursting past players lately?  :roll:
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,345 posts | 1532 
      Reply #505: Feb 01, 2024 11:37:18 pm
      Could say same about TAA.
      Mo and TAAs replacements have done great.
      That's not to say they are not important players, and won't come back in the team.
      And can't draw conclusions just based on recent good form.
      But it's food for thought, certainly for anyone arguing we can't do without Mo up front or TAA at RB.
      Best performance of the season last night imho.

Im sure young Bradley came on when TAA got injured against Arsenal in the cup game. On Martinelli's first raid down our right, Connor took the ball off him so easily, and turned defence into attack, Martinelli didn't go near him again. Kept turning back down the line. Clearly knew Connor had the measure of him. Perhaps that alone will get Connor the start at right back. Trent to come on around 60 mins after Connors hat trick  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Quick Reply