Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Arsenal?

Alisson Becker
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      5 (8.8%)
      Ibrahima Konaté
      4 (7%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Ryan Gravenberch
      0 (0%)
      Alexis Mac Allister
      28 (49.1%)
      Curtis Jones
      6 (10.5%)
      Diogo Jota
      2 (3.5%)
      Luis Diaz
      8 (14%)
      Cody Gakpo
      0 (0%)
      Darwin Núñez
      0 (0%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      2 (3.5%)
      Harvey Elliott
      1 (1.8%)
      Andy Robertson
      1 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Voting closed: Feb 08, 2024 06:27:56 pm

Arsenal 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 11285 times
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,267 posts | 760 
      Re: Arsenal 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #667: Feb 04, 2024 10:48:12 pm
      The fact we're even talking about competing for the league, in what's considered a transition season shows how well we've done up to now. Today was a big let down with one of those, thankfully rare, bad attitude showings that were fairly common last season, hence us not making the top 4. Some of these players need to take a good hard look at themselves...Poor all round but Trent needs to be told in no uncertain terms, he can f*ck off with that attitude.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,272 posts | 1396 
      Reply #668: Feb 04, 2024 11:03:29 pm
      Ist goal..VVD has to step forward to challenge as midfield are not closing down..leaving big hole through the middle.
      2nd goal...VVD lets the ball bounce, then plays the man not the ball..takes his eyes off the ball, expecting Ali to clear a bouncing ball.
      3 rd goal....too much space, we are a man light and Ali lets it slip under his body and through his legs.

3 very poor goals from defensive POV. Only the first goal had any real merit, as they exploited the space. Had the mid 3 been sharper VVD, wouldn't had to close down a player around the half way line.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 828 posts | 298 
      Reply #669: Feb 05, 2024 12:03:27 am
      I'm hoping mate, even a draw would be nice.

Man City, Arsenal and us will all drop more points this season. We had a bad day today but there is a long way to go.
      Grey Gandalf
      • Forum Youth Player

• 20 posts |
      Reply #670: Feb 05, 2024 12:54:07 am
      The third goal left me wondering why Elliott was running wide of Trossard as he was chasing him down, could have applied more pressure on Trossard if he ran in the correct direction.

Also while watching the replay of the third goal, VVD should have been quicker in closing the space, seems he was a tad slow in closing down Trossard.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,162 posts | 1092 
      Reply #671: Feb 05, 2024 03:14:34 am
      Need Man City to go deeper in all competitions IMO. They aren't as deep as years before, and some of the core players are that much older and the wear and tear of a long season takes its tole.

Let's see where we are in a months time when we play them.

Let's see how they look when they go to Tottenham and are potentially gearing up for a few semi finals. They will drop points.

Just need to play well down the stretch
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,352 posts | 2819 
      Reply #672: Feb 05, 2024 03:42:10 am
      Only real winners were City last night.

The game was so low on quality for two title contenders. We didn’t create a single chance all game and Arsenal needed individual errors from us to take advantage.

That game was a long way off what ourselves and City have served up in recent years when battling for titles.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,936 posts | 4993 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #673: Feb 05, 2024 06:07:41 am
      Hands up who thought we’d go thru the entire campaign without glitches ?

Hands up who thought we would be holier than thou and not make mistakes ?

Hands up who thought we’d still be top of the league after 23 games having lost just twice in a season where we are in transition?

And hands up who chucked the f***in towel in because we didn’t land Moises Caicedo and that other useless muppet who went to Chavs for the money instead of the benefit of their career??

A bad day at the office yesterday that’s all, and we couldn’t have picked the worst fixture for it if we tried, a opportunity to open up a gap I doubt would have been closed, we don’t do simple do we, we always have to make it a battle, but we’ll be fine,
      We’re battle hardened, this is what we do, we always have bumps in the road each and every season and this season we’ve got away with a lot of little bumps, if we’re honest we’ve not played well but still picked up points, that’s the little bumps, yesterday was a bigger bump,

But on we go to the next game, slightly bruised but as determined as ever to have a unforgettable season, I don’t know how many on the bounce we didn’t lose, but we’ve played 23 lost twice and drawn 5 or 6, so 15/16, one of our geeks will tell us,

Whatever it is explain to me why we can’t produce another similar run, and when we do, I can see that getting wider, and by that time I reckon it could be very well done & dusted, or at least know what needs to be done to make it happen??

Hands up who thinks that this is not achievable ?

WE GO AGAIN !!

YNWA
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #674: Feb 05, 2024 06:51:04 am
      Yes, we should not panic, but am I the only one concerned by Gakpo and Gravenberch. They haven't had a good games for quite some time and we need everyone. Diaz, is also a concern, because I believe he is not threatening enough but these two are not doing great so far this season. Am I the only one.

A few more words about Diaz, what I mean by threatening? Diaz should be like Martinelli, wreaking havoc throughout the game. He has not done that for quite some time, although he seems to be a good finisher lately. But he needs to be much more impactful.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,453 posts | 212 
      Reply #675: Feb 05, 2024 07:01:15 am
      The fact we're even talking about competing for the league, in what's considered a transition season shows how well we've done up to now. Today was a big let down with one of those, thankfully rare, bad attitude showings that were fairly common last season, hence us not making the top 4. Some of these players need to take a good hard look at themselves...Poor all round but Trent needs to be told in no uncertain terms, he can f*ck off with that attitude.

Glad you can see what Trent did yesterday

Most people seemed to have missed it but his lack of determination and willpower in defending simply shocking

Only once did he sprint back full pace to defend. Other than that he was wide right not getting the ball and then casually running back like a warm up

Still can’t believe his lack of desire
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,976 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #676: Feb 05, 2024 08:23:49 am
      Na 2 or 3 cones, a ciggy and pass the F**k out.

Keith Manc, you probably wouldn't get up for the game if you lived in OZ.

Haven't missed one in 30 plus years, no matter what UnGodly time the match is on.

You probably fall asleep during the match anyway they’re that boring.  :lmao:
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #677: Feb 05, 2024 08:40:18 am
      Bad day at the office. What matters next is all that counts.
      Harrisimo

• 8,272 posts | 1396 
      Reply #678: Feb 05, 2024 09:38:38 am
      Glad you can see what Trent did yesterday

Most people seemed to have missed it but his lack of determination and willpower in defending simply shocking

Only once did he sprint back full pace to defend. Other than that he was wide right not getting the ball and then casually running back like a warm up

Still can’t believe his lack of desire

And I'm sure Konate and VVD noticed how a far better, much more determined defender Bradley is. Trent is a local lad obviously and he knows what it means to us. But truth be told he's been like that for 2 seasons. Seems as if he's all about the 'Hollywood' ball...the leg work..nah..
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,322 posts | 1524 
      Reply #679: Feb 05, 2024 09:41:08 am
      Yes, we should not panic, but am I the only one concerned by Gakpo and Gravenberch. They haven't had a good games for quite some time and we need everyone. Diaz, is also a concern, because I believe he is not threatening enough but these two are not doing great so far this season. Am I the only one.

A few more words about Diaz, what I mean by threatening? Diaz should be like Martinelli, wreaking havoc throughout the game. He has not done that for quite some time, although he seems to be a good finisher lately. But he needs to be much more impactful.

Only thing in Martinelli's favour is pace. You've either got it or you haven't. Young Bradley had the measure of Martinelli in the cup game, so he's clearly ineffective if you match that pace. He also looked better yesterday because Trent went missing. Anyone would look good with all that space to operate in.
      Diaz relies more on trickery than pace, which is ok, but doesn't always suit our speedy transitions.  Can't have it all as they say.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,846 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #680: Feb 05, 2024 09:51:15 am
      I thought we lacked 'bite' yesterday , by that I mean players like Endo and Szobo stopping and disrupting play cutting the ball to Martinelli out which was 90% of Arsenal attack. Not going to slag the lads off because they know how dire they were and will be feeling bad and depressed, shout out to the travelling fans for their effort though ...we go again !
      Harrisimo

• 8,272 posts | 1396 
      Reply #681: Feb 05, 2024 09:58:18 am
      Only thing in Martinelli's favour is pace. You've either got it or you haven't. Young Bradley had the measure of Martinelli in the cup game, so he's clearly ineffective if you match that pace. He also looked better yesterday because Trent went missing. Anyone would look good with all that space to operate in.
      Diaz relies more on trickery than pace, which is ok, but doesn't always suit our speedy transitions.  Can't have it all as they say.

If the 'tactical' move by Klopp was to play Cody deep, as an extra man in mid at the expense of Nunez, well it didn't have much effect. Just don't think Cody defends the space or is good at tracking, scurrying about, he's a out and out attack minded player and in coming deep it's about getting possession and making a run, not about defending etc.

Our game plan esp in the first half, looked like just confusion, lack of energy, urgency.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,295 posts | 764 
      Reply #682: Feb 05, 2024 10:21:16 am
      Playing a lot of games lately. despite rotation perhaps fatigue had something to do with their dismal display yesterday. Although I am not sure, being no expert.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,349 posts | 1622 
      Reply #683: Feb 05, 2024 10:34:36 am
      Bad day at the office , it happens , these players have performed all season so far , and yet their coming in for pelters , after a bad day at the office , to hear fans suggesting Trent dosent care is quite laughable , sure he was bad yesterday , that happens to all players at one point or another don’t mean they don’t care , we’ve all had bad days in work some days for whatever reason it just don’t happen , two mistakes cost us yesterday , the second being an almighty cock up , just dust ourselves off regroup and on we go , we havnt lost the war yet just a set back in one of the battles .
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,621 posts | 3917 
      Reply #684: Feb 05, 2024 11:02:16 am
      I’m gutted (especially since I live in London and surrounded by Arsenal fans).

However, maybe a nice wake up call and we can learn from it - move on and start another great run.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,453 posts | 212 
      Reply #685: Feb 05, 2024 11:13:51 am
      And I'm sure Konate and VVD noticed how a far better, much more determined defender Bradley is. Trent is a local lad obviously and he knows what it means to us. But truth be told he's been like that for 2 seasons. Seems as if he's all about the 'Hollywood' ball...the leg work..nah..

Exactly! It was just abysmal, we needed help for our cb against their wide players and when they were free, Trent was running far slower than them to get back as he gave up early being caught out

He may be extremely talented going forward but it was clear yesterday, he simply could not be bothered running back to defend. He had the energy but just did not want to do it

It’s the stuff you see United and Chelsea players do. I really cannot believe it,l. it was a disgrace and unforgivable, you just first fight and win your own battle and when the right with hard work and then you show your skill set. He’s gone too far in the end of I cannot be bothered to track back and he’s the full back!!!!
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts | 154 
      Reply #686: Feb 05, 2024 11:33:46 am
      Was always going to be a tough game & so it proved to be....didn't help ourselves with the line up and awful set up.

Another terrible first half display, then the early subs 2nd half killed any momentum we were looking to build up.

So many incredibly poor performances, everyone bar Diaz Gomez and Mac were below par.

Could've come away with an deserved point but not for 2 horrendous mistakes.

Oh and F**k Mikel Arteta. Massive massive massive c**t.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts | 154 
      Reply #687: Feb 05, 2024 11:36:22 am
      Who are people putting the blame on for the 2nd? I'm seeing half for Ali and half for Virgil.....both good points to argue why the other was at fault.

For me Ali needs to stay put and give Virgil a shout, despite the bounce he's well ahead of Martinelli and in control of the situation......a situation made into a calamity by Ali's decision making.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,474 posts | 1474 
      Reply #688: Feb 05, 2024 11:42:05 am
      I’m gutted (especially since I live in London and surrounded by Arsenal fans).

However, maybe a nice wake up call and we can learn from it - move on and start another great run.
      Let them have there day in the sun
      And yeah we are more than capable of going on a mad arse run of wins.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3953 
      Reply #689: Feb 05, 2024 12:51:30 pm
      Who are people putting the blame on for the 2nd? I'm seeing half for Ali and half for Virgil.....both good points to argue why the other was at fault.

For me Ali needs to stay put and give Virgil a shout, despite the bounce he's well ahead of Martinelli and in control of the situation......a situation made into a calamity by Ali's decision making.

The situtation was compounded by a series of misjudgements from both players leaving bollox the simplest of opportunities faced with an open goal.
      Hindsight is a wonderful gift.

Quick Reply