Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Burnley?

Caoimhin Kelleher
      8 (13.3%)
      Jarell Quansah
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.7%)
      Andy Robertson
      6 (10%)
      Alexis Mac Allister
      0 (0%)
      Wataru Endo
      17 (28.3%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)
      Luis Diaz
      0 (0%)
      Darwin Núñez
      2 (3.3%)
      Diogo Jota
      6 (10%)
      Cody Gakpo
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      20 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Voting closed: Feb 14, 2024 04:59:09 pm

Liverpool 3-1 Burnley: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 7230 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,985 posts | 3421 
      Re: Liverpool 3-1 Burnley: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #368: Feb 10, 2024 07:18:07 pm
      In the inverted role, he becomes a body in the midfield. I wouldn't play him defensively or have him sitting. He'd play right side of midfield (or covering that area of pitch)

I don’t he understands the tactical nature of the role that TAA could do in the middle
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,475 posts | 216 
      Reply #369: Feb 10, 2024 07:19:59 pm
      In the inverted role, he becomes a body in the midfield. I wouldn't play him defensively or have him sitting. He'd play right side of midfield (or covering that area of pitch)

Look man, I ain’t trolling you or just being difficult for the sake of it

I’ve defended Trent for ages and ages when loads had a go

But last week what I saw and today what I watched was just it, I don’t see how he fits in anywhere when he has serious competition with his ozil
      Like attitude imo

He has all the ability but even on the right side, would be cover our full backs like our current midfield do ? Will he sprint back to help defend in breaks ? I think we all know the answer to this

Just don’t see him tracking back and helping the full back or our centre back

In theory it sounds brilliant but he just doesn’t have the determination to defend with everything
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,475 posts | 216 
      Reply #370: Feb 10, 2024 07:21:54 pm
      I don’t he understands the tactical nature of the role that TAA could do in the middle

Do you see him following his man in midfield to defend or help the full backs out on the break with everything he has got ? Or will he be jogging back and caught 10 years away from our goal whilst the other team score ?

That’s what will happen
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,208 posts | 8567 
      Reply #371: Feb 10, 2024 07:23:15 pm
      Look man, I ain’t trolling you or just being difficult for the sake of it

I’ve defended Trent for ages and ages when loads had a go

But last week what I saw and today what I watched was just it, I don’t see how he fits in anywhere when he has serious competition with his ozil
      Like attitude imo

He has all the ability but even on the right side, would be cover our full backs like our current midfield do ? Will he sprint back to help defend in breaks ? I think we all know the answer to this

Just don’t see him tracking back and helping the full back or our centre back

In theory it sounds brilliant but he just doesn’t have the determination to defend with everything

The last two games, the question would be how fit is he. Clearly not fully fit at the minute. Due to Gomez illness and Bradley's dad dying, he had to play.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,985 posts | 3421 
      Reply #372: Feb 10, 2024 07:27:46 pm
      Do you see him following his man in midfield to defend or help the full backs out on the break with everything he has got ? Or will he be jogging back and caught 10 years away from our goal whilst the other team score ?

That’s what will happen

Do you understand TAA best abilities and why Klopp has him in the team and why moves into the middle - it’s about his ability on the ball and what he can create when on the ball and yet you are dribbling on about cover

First of all you spout nonsense about 2 years of poor performances

Next you claim that you supported him up until the Arsenal match and today when he is clearly not match fit

You’re a clueless clown who doesn’t know his arse from his elbow
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,475 posts | 216 
      Reply #373: Feb 10, 2024 07:33:18 pm
      Do you understand TAA best abilities and why Klopp has him in the team and why moves into the middle - it’s about his ability on the ball and what he can create when on the ball and yet you are dribbling on about cover

First of all you spout nonsense about 2 years of poor performances

Next you claim that you supported him up until the Arsenal match and today when he is clearly not match fit

You’re a clueless clown who doesn’t know his arse from his elbow

Oh shut up, once again, pot kettle you fsg dick rider

Look at the sht you come up with. You’re on ignore for half of the forum as it is clown yet can’t see the obvious as to why so many have you on ignore clown

So pathetic making up lies again as that’s all you do. Lie to suit your agenda, two years of poor work ethic and you relate that to performance. You still are the same which is a shame
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,475 posts | 216 
      Reply #374: Feb 10, 2024 07:34:54 pm
      The last two games, the question would be how fit is he. Clearly not fully fit at the minute. Due to Gomez illness and Bradley's dad dying, he had to play.

But this isn’t a two game issue tho?
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,281 posts | 1396 
      Reply #375: Feb 10, 2024 07:35:15 pm
      This TAA posts reminds me of Stevie posts after bad games. Anyone remember "lets sell him" "he isn't good enough anymore"

TAA has a bright future, and sometimes his form will dip. It happens. I personally think he should be in the midfield.

Expectations etc. Wouldn't call out a player of Trent's ability, just as likely, for instance,to be MOTM in the League Cup final.

Plus we know  playing the 'inverted' role, we will get caught short, it's a risk the Manager accepts.Lot of this 'Trent' just trots back is because he is OUT of the game due to trying to be in two places at the one time.

We've all discussed this inverted role numerous times and we know it will leave gaps and Trent does race back but not every single time. Injured today anyway.
      Don77

• 6,532 posts | 1085 
      Reply #376: Feb 10, 2024 07:35:58 pm

As I said earlier he was bombing on down the right ... moving into midfield well enough ... involved in all of our attacking play.

Didn't seem to be as interested defensively and there were numerous instances in that first half where much like last week he just didn't want to defend. He didn't want to get back in ... he didn't even want to stick a leg out. Much like yourself no doubt I've been watching this club since ... 83 was my first game. I know when a player isn't doing it. As I said in the match thread ... 2 sides to the game ... one with the ball and one without a d he only wants to participate in one.

We were better with Bradley there and we were better with Jones there today. Jones I have to say did the basics well ... got forward when he could and got tight and competed defensively when he had to.

Trent has been shown up for what he is defensively for along time now. He doesn't put the effort on to improve. He seems to get worse. That's how I see it.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,208 posts | 8567 
      Reply #377: Feb 10, 2024 07:38:56 pm
      But this isn’t a two game issue tho?

Really?

So what about today?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,985 posts | 3421 
      Reply #378: Feb 10, 2024 07:39:34 pm
      Expectations etc. Wouldn't call out a player of Trent's ability, just as likely, for instance,to be MOTM in the League Cup final.

Plus we know  playing the 'inverted' role, we will get caught short, it's a risk the Manager accepts.Lot of this 'Trent' just trots back is because he is OUT of the game due to trying to be in two places at the one time.

We've all discussed this inverted role numerous times and we know it will leave gaps and Trent does race back but not every single time. Injured today anyway.

It’s no different to when he plays full back - a lot of the times he highest up the pitch and when the opposition breaks that’s where the quick Cb,s and DM to come in to cover for him and Robbo being so high

The one area he has issues at times with is awareness of what’s over his left shoulder but talk of lack of work ethic and effort is embarrassing
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,475 posts | 216 
      Reply #379: Feb 10, 2024 07:41:23 pm

Yes he bombs forward fine and links up but just doesn’t have the desire to really make sure his attacker doesn’t beat him and he did the bombing forward today

This is when he is at the back too btw

Today I think he was fit enough to attack and did really put legs in when doing that and I really do believe his lack of fighting his man or winning his own battles was to do with his work ethic but I do admit he has an out with maybe not being fit but I do think he was or would not have played

I just don’t see how his attitude to defending can last for much longer now that he has competition
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,402 posts | 191 
      Reply #380: Feb 10, 2024 07:54:51 pm
      Jürgen said Trent may have re-injured his knee in the first half.   He's definitely not 100% fit.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,189 posts | 4404 
      Reply #381: Feb 10, 2024 08:25:49 pm
      Not a convincing performance by any standards, thought our midfield was piss poor constantly over powered and out run.
      Harrisimo

• 8,281 posts | 1396 
      Reply #382: Feb 10, 2024 08:34:42 pm
      You have to look at the player and be aware of what he can actually do. Trent is not a high energy box to box midfielder. Look at his build. Big boned, heavy limbs. Not that quick off a standing start.

Mo does a 60 yard dash and a worm pops up and say.."what was that"..
      Trent does a 60 yard dash...the worm is squashed..

The coaching staff know what he's capable of and dashing back every time is not in their expectations. They know we will be caught short, it's in the game plan.Sometimes Trent gets back, sometimes he doesn't. These complaints have only really cropped up from when he started playing the 'inverted' role.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 818 posts | 157 
      Reply #383: Feb 10, 2024 08:37:14 pm
      It's whats come to be expected of us, your bog standard first half followed up by an imperious 2nd half.

Harvey was brilliant 2nd half, fantastic change.

Could've been a very different finish had Fofana took one of his chances, Kelleher tbh to him stood up tall.

We did well considering we're rocking up to every game with 4-5 key players out.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 818 posts | 157 
      Reply #384: Feb 10, 2024 08:37:37 pm
      My ratings for the game today;

Kelleher 8 - Stood up tall and made key saves at decisive moments. Other than 1 poor kick, a very good game.

Trent 6.5 - Did alright...+0.5 for the corner, kept looking for the same ball over the top every time, doesn't really look to link up play or get involved unless he's setting someone off by showing off his passing. Much better when he went off.
      Quansah 7 - Some shaky moments defensively, the tackle for his yellow was needless....the headed clearance attempt for Fofana's first chance was awful. Won his fair share of headers and was unlucky not to score.
      Virgil 7.5 - Got ran past a few times in that first half including the first chance of the game which Burnley had that Kelleher saved, stepped it up 2nd half but that first half was worrying.
      Robbo 7 - Really didn't like him in the LCB position first half, much much better when he's using his energy flying up and down the wing and putting in lots of crosses.

Endo 8 - Really good to have him back and a really good display, it's as if he never went away! Picked up where he left of.
      Mac 6 - Maybe being a little harsh on him but didn't really notice him at all. Expected him to control and dominate the ball, never came.
      Jones 7 - Did marginally better in his new position 2nd half otherwise another forgettable display by our so called "best midfielder"

Jota 7 - +1 for the goal, didn't see him before the goal and only saw him once again after it.
      Nunez 8 - Constant threat as always with his willingness and grit to run off the shoulder, brilliant header, unlucky not to get a second at the end there, the touch was sublime. Played across the front 3 and looked bright in each position.
      Diaz 7.5 - +1 for his goal aswell, his decision making in the final third needed to be better......I know technically he'll get the chance created when the keeper saved from Jota but the pass to Nunez needed to be played.

Harvey 9 - MOTM, head and shoulders above any other player on the park that 2nd half.....2 assists, sprayed it about beautifully. Superb performance.
      Gakpo 6 - Not sure how long he got but don't think he touched the ball.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,938 posts | 4994 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #385: Feb 10, 2024 09:07:56 pm
      You put in more effort to defend him better than he defends

Medical team won’t allow him to play if he isn’t fit

His attitude and work ethic is a disgrace and you can read that again

He’s not worthy to play until he runs for the shirt

Simple as that

Club is better off without people like you who defend those that won’t defend themselves.

Two fckn years and still you’re making excuses, pathetic.

Why are you being such a c**t ??
      Harrisimo

• 8,281 posts | 1396 
      Reply #386: Feb 10, 2024 09:08:38 pm
      Their game plan was obviously to take it to us early on, try and nick one then defend and get the odd breakaway. Nearly got the lead a few times and their slick passing stretched us more than once.

We should've been tighter at times and played the breakout ball to the speedy front 3 a bit more. It was a great headed goal to go in level but we just got the batter in the second half. Kelly saved us a few times and another time it could've ended up 2-2.

Elliott's energy helped. He's a rascal sometimes. Needs a high tempo game and mostly when he comes on it is high tempo. One of the reasons he doesn't take the eye from the start is due in part to the speed of the game.
      Harrisimo

• 8,281 posts | 1396 
      Reply #387: Feb 10, 2024 09:16:27 pm
      It's whats come to be expected of us, your bog standard first half followed up by an imperious 2nd half.

Harvey was brilliant 2nd half, fantastic change.

Could've been a very different finish had Fofana took one of his chances, Kelleher tbh to him stood up tall.

We did well considering we're rocking up to every game with 4-5 key players out.

Talking to a Leeds fan from Cork. Claims Leeds will be in for Kelly come the end of the season. I said.'.If your promoted and come up with circa £30m you might have a chance, if not he will not drop down a division'

Obviously don't want to lose him because he is a great keeper in his own right, but he might want to play week in week out.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 818 posts | 157 
      Reply #388: Feb 10, 2024 09:18:57 pm
      Not a convincing performance by any standards, thought our midfield was piss poor constantly over powered and out run.

Game of 2 halves, no? We usually take a half to figure out an opponent then throw everything at them 2nd half. I thought our back 4 were pretty poor as well, Kelleher saved their bacon once or twice.

Considering we were missing 5 starters, we did alright.

The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 818 posts | 157 
      Reply #389: Feb 10, 2024 09:22:56 pm
      Jürgen said Trent may have re-injured his knee in the first half.   He's definitely not 100% fit.

Then questions have to be asked why he's started the last 2. Why he is being allowed to train as normal for 2 weeks instead of focusing getting fully back fit?

Why are we the only team that's suffering these reinjuries? Szobo, Thiago, Trent. It's beyond a joke.
      RedBelle
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 134 
      Reply #390: Feb 10, 2024 09:41:06 pm
      Then questions have to be asked why he's started the last 2. Why he is being allowed to train as normal for 2 weeks instead of focusing getting fully back fit?

because - Bradley is on bereavement leave and Gomez is ill. Ibou suspended and our Greek Scouser plays on the left. Ain't anybody left

Quick Reply