Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Music Documentaries

Read 423 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Music Documentaries
      Feb 16, 2024 11:48:51 pm
      I'm a huge fan of music documentaries like a few of you on here and just watched on this evening that I'm not sure how I missed.

Bruce Springsteen's Letter to You.

A beautiful accompaniment to what was one of his and The E Street Bands best albums in ages.

andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,352 posts | 1631 
      Re: Music Documentaries
      Reply #1: Feb 17, 2024 12:13:16 am
      Can’t think of the series name, but it was Brian Johnson meeting up with stars who’ve made the influence, to bands , what gave the inspiration and such for any music fan I think a must watch , the influence certain people had on bands is incredible , living out of the limelight, but amazing musical careers
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,062 posts | 2110 
      Reply #2: Feb 17, 2024 01:10:03 am
      I'm a huge fan of music documentaries like a few of you on here and just watched on this evening that I'm not sure how I missed.

Bruce Springsteen's Letter to You.

A beautiful accompaniment to what was one of his and The E Street Bands best albums in ages.

Ah - you know I've never seen it Si. I've never had Apple tv so have missed it despite getting the album on the day it came out. Like you I was bowled over by what a standout album it was from Bruce and E Street. It's quickly become a very nostalgic album for me as well as I remember getting it bang in the middle of COVID, in that odd autumn period where we tried our best to live open lives but knew it was sliding back into complete lockdown. Thanks for the reminder though - will see if I can snag my sisters Apple account for it (if it's still on Apple tv!)

The one music documentary that I thought was perfect was Scorsese's George Harrison: Living in the Material World. It's a long one but I was engrossed throughout. Loved it. Incredibly heartfelt.

Mat Whitecross's Supersonic, about Oasis early years and their smash run all the way to Knebworth is fantastic as well. Have watched it a few times and it really captures the energy, raggedness and optimism of that period. It's a relief that it ends in 1996 instead of running on to their bloated phase and part manufactured post Guigsy and Bonehead years. The narrative of it is real and authentic not manipulated and twisted like the standard bearer of that type of doc like Senna.

BBC 4 has often produced some great music docs that I've caught over the years as well. They had one on Mike Oldfield which I thought was fascinating and another on Mark Knopfler. Geniuses of their craft.
      « Last Edit: Feb 17, 2024 01:17:55 am by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,352 posts | 1631 
      Reply #3: Feb 17, 2024 02:11:56 am
      Ah - you know I've never seen it Si. I've never had Apple tv so have missed it despite getting the album on the day it came out. Like you I was bowled over by what a standout album it was from Bruce and E Street. It's quickly become a very nostalgic album for me as well as I remember getting it bang in the middle of COVID, in that odd autumn period where we tried our best to live open lives but knew it was sliding back into complete lockdown. Thanks for the reminder though - will see if I can snag my sisters Apple account for it (if it's still on Apple tv!)

The one music documentary that I thought was perfect was Scorsese's George Harrison: Living in the Material World. It's a long one but I was engrossed throughout. Loved it. Incredibly heartfelt.

Mat Whitecross's Supersonic, about Oasis early years and their smash run all the way to Knebworth is fantastic as well. Have watched it a few times and it really captures the energy, raggedness and optimism of that period. It's a relief that it ends in 1996 instead of running on to their bloated phase and part manufactured post Guigsy and Bonehead years. The narrative of it is real and authentic not manipulated and twisted like the standard bearer of that type of doc like Senna.

BBC 4 has often produced some great music docs that I've caught over the years as well. They had one on Mike Oldfield which I thought was fascinating and another on Mark Knopfler. Geniuses of their craft.

Knofler was on the series I mentioned to see influenced him and Inspired him and his writing , also the work they do behind the scenes , still think his solos at first live aid then the Mandela tribute are musical genius
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #4: Feb 17, 2024 08:41:45 am

Yea it's still on mate.

Agree on the nostalgia factor linked to COVID as well. Vividly recall getting the album and it really did standout for me as one of those 'life can still be good' moments of that doesn't sound too cheesy.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,062 posts | 2110 
      Reply #5: Feb 17, 2024 09:48:10 pm
      Yea it's still on mate.

Agree on the nostalgia factor linked to COVID as well. Vividly recall getting the album and it really did standout for me as one of those 'life can still be good' moments of that doesn't sound too cheesy.

Definitely. Coming relatively hot on the heels of Western Stars (which I consider my favourite album of the last 10 years) it was an even greater pleasure. Didn't think it could be matched but it was. What impressed me most was how he pulled out some old archive tunes and dusted them off to full blown outstanding recordings.

Funny - I was actually in London that autumn after being locked down in Scotland for 6 months so I recall actually buying the record in East London. Gorillaz's album Song Machine was also released that day so I also bought it!  :D
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #6: Feb 23, 2024 08:08:07 pm
      Searching for Sugar Man.

Don't even Google it just find it and watch it

Quick Reply