Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Pre-Match: AC Sparta Praha v Liverpool 1st Leg Thurs 7th March 17:45 Kick Off

Read 2233 times
      LFC_Olly_91
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp
      • Started Topic

• 309 posts | 43 
      Pre-Match: AC Sparta Praha v Liverpool 1st Leg Thurs 7th March 17:45 Kick Off
      Mar 05, 2024 10:00:22 am
      We travel to Prague for the 1st leg of our round of 16 tie against Sparta Prague.

Klopp’s yet to do his pre-match press conference but I don’t think anyone got injured at the weekend. Salah may possibly return to the squad for this game ahead of our game against City on Sunday.

I’m expecting a rotated line up, potential subs in brackets:

Kelleher

Gomez
      Quansah
      Van Dijk (c) (Konate)
      Tsimikas

Clark
      Endo (McConnell)
      Mac Allister (Szoboszlai)

Elliott (Salah)
      Gakpo
      Diaz (Nunez)

Subs:

Adrian (GK)
      Mrozek (GK)
      Bradley
      Konate
      Robertson
      Szoboszlai
      McConnell
      Salah
      Nunez
      Danns
      Koumas
      Nyoni

Injured:

Alisson
      Alexander-Arnold
      Matip
      Thiago
      Jones
      Gravenberch
      Bajcetic
      Jota
      Doak

Sparta Prague are in fine form coming into this - winning 8 of their last 10 games in all competitions. They are managed by former Portsmouth defender Brian Priske. Notable former players include our own Patrik Berger, ex-Arsenal forward Tomas Rosicky, ex-Chelsea and Arsenal goalkeeper Petr Cech and ex-Swansea striker Wilfried Bony.

This season they are sitting top of the league on 60 points after 23 games, ahead of arch rivals Slavia Prague who sit on 56 points after the same amount of games.

Their current top scorer is midfielder Lukas Haraslin who has 10 goals so far this term.

My prediction is that we will win this one 2-1.

Come on you Redmen!
      « Last Edit: Mar 07, 2024 12:08:08 pm by JD »
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,288 posts | 1401 
      Re: Sparta Prague v Liverpool 1st Leg Thurs 7th March 17:45 Kick Off
      Reply #1: Mar 05, 2024 10:14:21 am
      Get to half time level could then bring on Nunez, Mo even. Nuther 20 minutes of Danns maybe. 0-2 or so.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 840 posts | 164 
      Reply #2: Mar 05, 2024 10:26:07 am
      I'd start strong-ish and try bringing back a 2 or 3 goal advantage with the view to resting more in the home tie, also 1 eye has to be on City just 3 days later.

Kelleher, Gomez Konate Quansah Tsimikas, Endo Szobo Mac, Gakpo Danns Nunez
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #3: Mar 05, 2024 01:24:53 pm
      I am thinking Nunez and Dom will start just to get some minutes under their belt before Citeh. This will be tougher game then people believe it will be.

Yes, perfect world be nice to get up 3 goals and rest players for the 2nd leg  before FA Cup game vs United. Seeing what they did to Galatasaray who are good side I expect a fight.

----------------------Kelleher---------------
      Gomez---Quansah--Konate--Tsimikas
      ---------Dom-------Endo----McConnell---
      -----Elliott-----------Gapko-----------Nunez
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 840 posts | 164 
      Reply #4: Mar 05, 2024 01:35:53 pm
      It was 1-1 before Galatasaray went down to 10 men mind.

We can only really judge them based on their games in Europe, seem a relative mixed bag. Obviously stronger at home.

I think they are similar in quality and strength to a Copenhagen and us to City......the only thing that makes this harder for us is the rotation we'll likely make.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #5: Mar 05, 2024 01:52:11 pm
      Player’s returning from injury need to feature if they have any chance of minutes V the fraudsters, so I think we’ll see  Szlobos and Mo for sure, but only to shake of any rust, so maybe last 20 or so depending on the score, I’d be happy even if we brought back a clean sheet, and very happy with a simple 0-1 rebound of the keepers arse, cos we all know the European night at Anfield are special and we do pretty well on those occasions,

All hypothetical of course anyone’s team selection but I’d go with this to start…..Kelleher, Bradley, Konate Virgil, Robbo, Endo, Macca, Elliot, Diaz, Gakpo, Nunez, then when the time is right I’d bring on Szlobos and Mo, Clarke, McConnell, Gomez, Kostas, off the bench, in no particular order,

We should come back with a more than reasonable chance of getting thru, and hopefully no more injuries, I agree this is no walk over so any favourable result will do, I ask o only that we come back injury free and we see Mo & Szlobos pass their respective tests, over the two legs we should get thru and a step nearer that night in Dublin!!

YNWA
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #6: Mar 05, 2024 04:57:03 pm
      Give us much rest as we can to the squad that will play against City. Play all the kids if we have to...they've got enough to keep it close or win it.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,384 posts | 2823 
      Reply #7: Mar 05, 2024 08:24:51 pm
      Priority has to be Sunday. Aim of Thursday is to keep it within a score we can turn around at Anfield next week.

Kelleher; Gomez, Quansah, Konate, Tsimikas; Endo, Clark, Elliott, Diaz, Danns, Gakpo.

30 minutes for Dom, Nunez and Mo hopefully to get them in rhythm for Sunday and then give Mac Allister and Van Dijk some time so we can protect Endo and Konate for the City game too.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,218 posts | 1221 
      Reply #8: Mar 05, 2024 10:39:20 pm
      I think we have to do something similar to the Southampton game and try to give only as many senior players an outing as are necessary to avoid a disaster, keep a bit of rhythm and hopefully get a respectable result alongside our kids. Away in Europe even if it is Europa isn't always easy. They are top of their league I believe and it would be a great coup to take down the team leading the PL so we will need cool heads and a professional attitude throughout.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #9: Mar 06, 2024 07:15:52 am
      There will be some of the younglings having to start again or be subs for last 20 or something.

At least the squad has had a full 3 days between match days this week
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #10: Mar 06, 2024 07:17:41 am
      I'd take a draw here all day long, get them done at anfield on return leg.
      Tadders

• 6,788 posts | 573 
      Reply #11: Mar 06, 2024 07:37:22 am
      Pretty much the same as forest. Don’t expect an easy game and fight for a draw
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,543 posts | 1481 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #12: Mar 06, 2024 09:05:30 am
      I’d happily just keep the ball and pass it around for a 0-0 draw to be honest as long as we don’t get any injuries.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 840 posts | 164 
      Reply #13: Mar 06, 2024 09:30:20 am
      Reminder: It's Sparta Prague guys......

You'd think we were playing some European giant. We're LIVERPOOL!!! We don't play for draws against ANYBODY!!!
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 765 
      Reply #14: Mar 06, 2024 10:50:52 am
      Reminder: It's Sparta Prague guys......

You'd think we were playing some European giant. We're LIVERPOOL!!! We don't play for draws against ANYBODY!!!

Agree a win of any sort, a clean sheet and no more injuries. 2  1 to the travelling Reds. On our way to Dublin, to pick up another trophy.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,308 posts | 773 
      Re: AC Sparta Praha v Liverpool 1st Leg Thurs 7th March 17:45 Kick Off
      Reply #15: Mar 06, 2024 11:36:28 am
      The narrative surrounding this tie is about prioritising fitness of the key players to face Schitty at the weekend. Any scoreline below a two nil defeat gives us a good chance at our place....A win of any sort with no injuries would be a huge bonus.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,703 posts | 3716 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #16: Mar 06, 2024 12:26:50 pm
      NB: Team no longer available

I would not start Salah or Szoboszlai and will give them the last 20 minutes for match fitness and I would give Konate, Bradley and Roberston a rest.
      Harrisimo

• 8,288 posts | 1401 
      Reply #17: Mar 06, 2024 06:30:41 pm
      NB: Team no longer available

I would not start Salah or Szoboszlai and will give them the last 20 minutes for match fitness and I would give Konate, Bradley and Roberston a rest.

Yeah, good call on Bradley.He's been through a lot. A rest would really help him. Just take stock. Joe in a RB if poss.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #18: Mar 06, 2024 07:15:17 pm
      Priority has to be Sunday. Aim of Thursday is to keep it within a score we can turn around at Anfield next week.

Kelleher; Gomez, Quansah, Konate, Tsimikas; Endo, Clark, Elliott, Diaz, Danns, Gakpo.

30 minutes for Dom, Nunez and Mo hopefully to get them in rhythm for Sunday and then give Mac Allister and Van Dijk some time so we can protect Endo and Konate for the City game too.

Sounds like a plan, with the big guns coming on time wise, depending how the game is progressing.
      I’d like to see a marginal win for us before the return leg although a draw wouldn’t be catastrophic .
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,179 posts | 1097 
      Reply #19: Mar 06, 2024 08:00:08 pm
      Kelleher

Gomez
      Quansah
      VVD/Konate ( rotate at half if possible)
      Tsimikas

Endo
      Clark
      Macca

Gakpo
      Nunez
      Elliot

Diaz and Macca really need a rest. So does Gakpo, but I don't imagine he starts on Sunday (barring any injuries). Would like to see Macca get the hook for Szobo for about 30 minutes. Salah come on and move Harvey to the MF to give some rest to Endo, etc.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,875 posts | 419 
      Reply #20: Mar 06, 2024 09:02:48 pm
      I reckon we can blow them away if needed at Anfield  so would be happy with a draw or a 1 goal loss.
      LFC_Olly_91
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp
      • Started Topic

• 309 posts | 43 
      Reply #21: Mar 06, 2024 10:13:08 pm
      Following Klopp’s presser and the news Danns is out with concussion I’m guessing the team will be the following, all of which are named in the 23 man travelling squad:

Kelleher

Gomez (Bradley)
      Quansah
      Van Dijk (c) (Konate)
      Robertson

Clark
      Endo
      Mac Allister (Szoboszlai)

Elliott (Salah)
      Gakpo (Nunez)
      Diaz

Subs:

Adrian (GK)
      Mrozek (GK)
      Bradley
      Konate
      Tsimikas
      Szoboszlai
      McConnell
      Salah
      Nunez
      Gordon
      Koumas
      Musialowski

Injured:

Alisson
      Alexander-Arnold
      Matip
      Thiago
      Jones
      Gravenberch
      Bajcetic
      Jota
      Danns
      Doak
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #22: Mar 07, 2024 09:50:22 am
      Danns out with concussion ? How on earth did that. happen !  Is it something that's occurred in training.

Or has his dad taken the stabilisers off his bike now and he's fell off.        :f_whistle: :f_whistle:

Well he is young aint he  :lmao: :lmao:
      rossyred

• 9,292 posts | 1664 
      Reply #23: Mar 07, 2024 09:56:41 am
      Danns out with concussion ? How on earth did that. happen !  Is it something that's occurred in training.

Or has his dad taken the stabilisers off his bike now and he's fell off.        :f_whistle: :f_whistle:

When he clattered into Forest keeper late on must admit took a whack
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 840 posts | 164 
      Reply #24: Mar 07, 2024 10:08:33 am

I'm sure there's nothing to worry about, we're probably just "being careful" with him.
      Harrisimo

• 8,288 posts | 1401 
      Re: Pre-Match: AC Sparta Praha v Liverpool 1st Leg Thurs 7th March 17:45 Kick Off
      Reply #25: Mar 07, 2024 12:48:46 pm
      Bit tricky for the Boss to get this right. They are puffing themselves up for it, we are just trying to get through it relatively unscathed.

Do we take the  'take each games as it comes' attitude or play with one eye on City. Obviously it has to the the latter. So the likes of Mo, Dom and Nunez will be used sparingly. Get in, get out and prepare for Mancheater City.

Not meaning Sparta will get be getting a watered down version of LFC just because we have difficult games to come.We have taken the strongest squad available and we will use that squad as we see fit to get the result.
      « Last Edit: Mar 07, 2024 01:51:28 pm by Harrisimo »
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Re: Pre-Match: AC Sparta Praha v Liverpool 1st Leg Thurs 7th March 17:45 Kick Off
      Reply #26: Mar 07, 2024 03:53:21 pm
      It's a tricky fixture isn't it. Obviously all eyes are on Sunday's game and keeping players fresh but that's very difficult with such a significant injury list. Hopefully Dom and Salah get some minutes in the 2nd half. Take a draw and no fresh injuries all day long. I'm sure Klopp will use every sub and try to balance minutes for a number of players with one eye on Sunday. An early goal or two would be very nice!
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,244 posts | 921 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #27: Mar 07, 2024 04:14:54 pm
      How good are Sparta, don’t know much about them, soon find out though

Quick Reply