Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Result against Reading?

Another Liverpool victory
      46 (97.9%)
      A tough fought draw
      1 (2.1%)
      Reading win
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Voting closed: Dec 09, 2007 12:37:03 am

Reading v Liverpool (Premiership) 8th December 07

Read 3134 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reading v Liverpool (Premiership) 8th December 07
      Dec 07, 2007 12:35:41 am
      Reading v Liverpool
      Saturday 8th December 2007 @ 5:15pm

LFC Reds Prediction League - get your predictions in... http://www.lfcreds.com/PredictionLeague/

From the BBC

Reading will have to break Liverpool's unbeaten record, if they are to achieve a first ever Premier League victory against one of the so called "big four".

Liverpool have won twice as many league games as the Royals this season (eight to four); Reading have lost nine more (nine to none).

Liverpool did the double over Reading in their first league meetings last season, and have already beaten them this season in the third round of the Carling Cup at the Madejski on 25 September, when Fernando Torres bagged a second-half hat-trick in a 2-4 victory.

Just as important in terms of points as next week's game against United.  Vital we keep the pressure up on the sides above us and improving our goal difference would be even better. 

My personal hope is that Rafa doesn't take his eye off the ball, leaving players out for the Marseille game.  This is an IMPORTANT THREE POINTS up grabs.  Personally I feel Reading away represents a greater challenge than Marseille and we should send out a strong side.  Three big games in 8 days.

Come on you reds.

Referee
      ANDRE MARRINER - refereeing only his second ever Premiership game.

Reading FC Unofficial Forum:
      http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/

??? Hob Nobs
      « Last Edit: Dec 07, 2007 12:54:49 am by JD »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Re: Reading v Liverpool (Premiership) 8th December 07
      Reply #1: Dec 07, 2007 12:41:32 am
      I agree that Rafa should keep his eye on the ball with this one JD. But I can't see anything other than three points even with some players being left out.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #2: Dec 07, 2007 12:42:00 am
      The Reading fans have a prediction thread for the game against us.
      http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=69471

Their first prediction was peculiar...

Reading (1) 2

Hunt 36, Kitson 74

Liverpool (0) 1

Ponytail bloke 87

Their second was much more sensible...

Reading 0
      Liverpool 4
      (Lanky 22, Scouse-git 34, England loser 44, Jonny Foreigner 77)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #3: Dec 07, 2007 12:45:41 am
      More from the BBC preview...

Highest achievable after Saturday's matches: 2nd
      Lowest could realistically fall: 5th

1. Won the last five in all competitions, and hoping to add the scalp of Reading to those of Fulham, Newcastle and Bolton gained in their last three Premier League outings.

2. Undefeated in eight league and cup matches, and not lost in 15 Premier League matches; won eight and drawn seven since losing 1-0, away to Fulham on 5 May.

3. One of two remaining unbeaten clubs in the Premier League and one of two still to lose away from home at this level; the other club in both instances is Arsenal.

4. Not conceded in four league games or in 370 minutes (six hours 10 minutes of Premier League football) since the Cesc Fabregas equaliser for Arsenal at Anfield on 28 October.

5. Conceded six Premier League goals this season, at one every 210 minutes (three and a half hours exactly) on average. That's fewer than anyone else, but their nine clean sheets in this league is equalled by Manchester United and Chelsea.

6. The current total of 30 points after 14 games is their best start for five years.

7. Scored seven times in the last 10 minutes of Premier League matches; only Portsmouth can match that.

8. The second best behaved club in the highest league; 17 cards - all yellow. Everton are the only club with fewer; 16 (two red, 14 yellow).

9. The strongest club away from home in the Premier League having accrued 17 points from a possible 21; won five and drawn two on their league travels since losing 0-1 to Fulham in their last away match of last season on 5 May.

10. The two pre-Christmas league fixtures are home to Manchester United and Portsmouth. A visit to Chelsea in the quarter-finals of the Carling Cup comes in between, and a trip to Marseille for their final group match in the Champions League precedes them, next Tuesday.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #4: Dec 07, 2007 01:11:19 am
      Nail on the head, this is much as important as our following league game and the selection for this will be interesting.

No doubt Reading wont be wanting another pasting like it was in the carling cup. This could prove to be a tricky game. Just hope Kuyt and Voronin have got their shooting boots on.... :f_tongueincheek:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #5: Dec 07, 2007 01:15:19 am
      Torres has to start.  Seriously.

No resting him for Marseille.  Tell him to get a couple in the first 15 minutes and then he can have a rest.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #6: Dec 07, 2007 01:40:57 am
      I like Reading alot....players and manager all seem to be made of the right stuff. A few of their players I wouldn't mind as squad player at ours.....Shorey and Hunt (always looks a pain in the arse to defend against!)....want us to play our full strength team and predict a 3-0 victory.....

PS...want to see Kuyt bag a couple...he needs it.....but only after Crouchie has put us a goal up.
      Would be good to see Hobbs get a run out and maybe Leto to put in a decent 15-20 mins.
      Tallfc
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 477 posts |
      Reply #7: Dec 07, 2007 01:54:02 am
      I another must win game,play our strongest side,put the game out of their reach,then sub our players.Going off form then its 3 points in the bag.
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #8: Dec 07, 2007 05:53:43 am
      This game is as important as any other in my opinion. That's why Torres has to start and grab a goal as early as possible. Once we are out in front, we can think about the upcoming games...but we all know Rafa will tinker with the starting line-up, to our delight or frustration, all depending on the result. I would love to return to Anfield next weekend with another solid win under the belt and I don't see us doing anything other than that given the rich vein of form we're currently in. All the same, we wouldn't want to underestimate the "fight in the dog" as it were.

3 points tomorrow...not negotiable.

C'MON YOU REDS!!!!
      southafrican_red
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 356 posts |
      • With hope in your heart...
      Reply #9: Dec 07, 2007 06:33:33 am
      Tomorrow is my birthday...so don't worry...3 POINTS guranteed!

I predict a 3-0 win...Torres, Gerrard and whoever else feels like scoring...

Go Reds!
      benforrest
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts | -8 
      Reply #10: Dec 07, 2007 07:56:39 am
      I think these 3 following matches we need to play our full strength sides for all, with the return of Agger, Alonso and Fabio it will make selection hard, I don't know if Agger will go straight into the team, Hyypia has been playing very well lately
      S-A-M-U-E-L-T
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 51 posts | -13 
      • LIVERPOOL!
      Reply #11: Dec 07, 2007 07:58:21 am
      It wont be easy as reading are a strong side but we are unbeaten. We should win this guarenteed but i dont know.

2-0 is my score for the game
      torres and benayoun
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #12: Dec 07, 2007 09:13:19 am
      It wont be easy as reading are a strong side but we are unbeaten. We should win this guarenteed but I dont know.

????

Im predicting a 3-1 win. Kuyt and Crouch up front to start with Babel and Benayoun on the wings with Momo and Stevie in the middle. Defence can stay as it is. Crouch Benayoun and Babel to score.

Come on you REDS!!!
      Istvan Kozma
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 165 posts | 31 
      Reply #13: Dec 07, 2007 12:43:10 pm
      I like Reading alot....players and manager all seem to be made of the right stuff. A few of their players I wouldn't mind as squad player at ours.....Shorey and Hunt (always looks a pain in the arse to defend against!)....want us to play our full strength team and predict a 3-0 victory.....

PS...want to see Kuyt bag a couple...he needs it.....but only after Crouchie has put us a goal up.
      Would be good to see Hobbs get a run out and maybe Leto to put in a decent 15-20 mins.

I think we've got to play our strongest eleven, especially as Arsenal have dropped points against Newcastle.  In my opinion Rafa should start with Crouch and Torres.  Rest Torres/Gerrard in the last 20-25 minutes of the game when the points are in the bag.
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #14: Dec 07, 2007 12:49:44 pm
      It wont be easy as reading are a strong side but we are unbeaten. We should win this guarenteed but i dont know.

Don't sit on the fence will you Samuel :D

Got to be another win here, this is just as important as the Utd game so there's no point looking to that & taking our eye off the ball. I would go with a strong lineup to start and take key players off at half time if the game's won which it should be. I would go with:

Reina

Finnan  Hyypia  Carra Arbeloa

Yossi   Gerrard  Lucas  Babel

Crouch  Torres

If Carra is still a doubt at all I would start with Hobbs, if not I would still take him off at half time along with Gerrard & Torres, subject to the right result. I don't think Kewell has it in him yet to play three games in a week so would rest him for this one & have him in against Marseille & Utd. Up front i would go with the same combination that unlocked Reading's defence in the Carling Cup, it works well against teams like Reading that whilst not the best don't sit back for a draw either.
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #15: Dec 07, 2007 12:50:42 pm
      BLoody hell those Reading lot are as negative as arse. I predict 2-1 anyway Torres to score twice and scruffy looking irish bloke gets a concellation 2 mins from time.
      Torres has to start.  Seriously.

No resting him for Marseille.  Tell him to get a couple in the first 15 minutes and then he can have a rest.

Have to agree too he needs to stay fit for at least the next 3 games especially against the scum...

kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #16: Dec 07, 2007 01:59:48 pm
      We have to keep the momentum going so I cant see Rafa resting to many big names,3 points is a must.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #17: Dec 07, 2007 06:45:01 pm
      who voted for that tough draw come on own up.  I think another 3 points, but with two important games coming up i just don't have the confidence of another whopping, but should be comfortable!
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #18: Dec 07, 2007 08:27:42 pm
      I reckon we'll win 3-0 with Gerrard, Torres and Carragher on the scoresheet. I think Torres and Benayoun have to start, but even if they don't I still think we'll win.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #19: Dec 07, 2007 09:02:30 pm
      I reckon we'll win 3-0 with Gerrard, Torres and Carragher on the scoresheet. I think Torres and Benayoun have to start, but even if they don't I still think we'll win.

I don't think the score is unreasonable but Carragher to get on the scoresheet?  I don't think he's due a goal for another two years.

Hope my fantasy football captain Torres will play and score but with Rafa you never know. 

I don't think anyone on this forum believes they can predict the team Rafa will play.  We all have opinions as to who he should play but I think we might have a better chance of winning the lottery than getting it right.

We have been playing really well so a two or three goal win is the most likely outcome.
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #20: Dec 07, 2007 09:05:36 pm
      I don't think the score is unreasonable but Carragher to get on the scoresheet?  I don't think he's due a goal for another two years.

I know he's very unlikely to score, but i just want him to. It would be nice for him to do so.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #21: Dec 07, 2007 09:11:53 pm
      I know he's very unlikely to score, but I just want him to. It would be nice for him to do so.

Like the sentiments mate Bpatel (just noticed the gender sign) and it would be nice if he scored.  He does have a habit of scoring when you least expect it which come to think of it is most of the time.

After all this Rafa will probably rest him and play Jack Hobbs. ;D
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #22: Dec 07, 2007 09:16:39 pm
      After all this Rafa will probably rest him and play Jack Hobbs. ;D

That's very true, it would be good for Hobbs getting experience. But, maybe Rafa could bring him on when there's about 15 minutes left and he scores one of the most spectacular goals you will ever see. Very unlikely to happen but there's nothing wrong with having hope.  ;D

mikeybrin
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #23: Dec 07, 2007 09:19:42 pm
      Can anyone advise what my chances are of turning up at the Medjeski tommorrow and getting a ticket in the away fans?
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #24: Dec 07, 2007 09:31:04 pm
      Not a hope in hell I'm afraid mate.
      mikeybrin
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #25: Dec 07, 2007 09:36:53 pm
      Surely there's touts etc? Have you been there before at all or have you just been to other away games and know that we always sell our full allocation?
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #26: Dec 07, 2007 09:41:59 pm
      You'll probably be able to get one off a tout, yes. You will never be able to get Liverpool tickets on the day mate, apart from maybe pre-season friendlies.
      mikeybrin
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #27: Dec 07, 2007 09:45:02 pm
      Sweet well thanks for the advie....any idea how much a ticket of a tout would, i'm assuming the worst!
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #28: Dec 07, 2007 09:58:52 pm
      Probably looking around the 100 quid mark.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #29: Dec 07, 2007 11:55:27 pm
      LFC (4) Reading (0) We need Torres well rested before Marselle
      SuperJon
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 105 posts |
      Reply #30: Dec 08, 2007 03:44:17 am
      I'm home from school this weekend and this game is actually on tv so I get to watch it on the big screen.  I haven't gotten to watch Liverpool on tv in forever.
      edu_rbb
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 499 posts | 14 
      • En Sevilla
      Reply #31: Dec 08, 2007 12:19:01 pm
      We will win

GO REDS!!!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #32: Dec 08, 2007 01:35:02 pm
      I think resting Carragher now is very important. If he does get another yellow we will miss him dearly for the game against the scum and his injured ribs should get a rest. Hobbs and Sami in the middle with Arbeloa and Finn as fullbacks. Come on fella's.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,352 posts | 1630 
      Reply #33: Dec 08, 2007 02:33:13 pm
      think we can afford to rest carra today need him next week for the mancs cant see it going any other way than a win today got to keep up the pressure come on you redmen torres and babbel to score 3 nil
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #34: Dec 08, 2007 02:45:07 pm
      It's a very important game in my opinion.
      People will see it only as Reading away - good chance of a win.
      But we are now heading into a major part of the season, where a few slipped points can make a huge difference to title ambitions.

Look at a few games this weekend :-

Chelsea home to Sunderland
      Man Urinals home to Derby County

Now, if any games are to be bankers, then surely these would be amongst them.
      What I'm saying is, obviously we need to try and win every match, but even more this weekend.

We cannot afford to lose ground on any team above us at the moment, so I'd be expecting a very strong line up today.
      I don't like to predict Rafa's line up, instead I like to work out why he has choosen his preferred line up.
      I know we have Marseille and Urinals coming up, but we still need the points today.
      Maybe it's a time to forget the rotation policy, and go for a team that has proven itself and ready for a tough week coming up.

But we need a big performance today, and hope for a few suprises elsewhere today.

Reading 0 - 2 Liverpool

Gerrard (pen)
      Torres.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #35: Dec 08, 2007 02:55:39 pm
      It's a very important game in my opinion.
      People will see it only as Reading away - good chance of a win.
      But we are now heading into a major part of the season, where a few slipped points can make a huge difference to title ambitions.

Look at a few games this weekend :-

Chelsea home to Sunderland
      Man Urinals home to Derby County

Now, if any games are to be bankers, then surely these would be amongst them.
      What I'm saying is, obviously we need to try and win every match, but even more this weekend.

We cannot afford to lose ground on any team above us at the moment, so I'd be expecting a very strong line up today.
      I don't like to predict Rafa's line up, instead I like to work out why he has choosen his preferred line up.
      I know we have Marseille and Urinals coming up, but we still need the points today.
      Maybe it's a time to forget the rotation policy, and go for a team that has proven itself and ready for a tough week coming up.

But we need a big performance today, and hope for a few suprises elsewhere today.

Reading 0 - 2 Liverpool

Gerrard (pen)
      Torres.

Definitley Mrtommo! :) Slipping points this weekend would give the papers a field day, quoting how many points behind we are, etc!

I can't see us losing to be honest! A late game however! :-\ All our players will know the results earlier on, so the pressure will be on not to slip up if Chelsea and United have won!
      chrislfc22
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 372 posts | -6 
      Reply #36: Dec 08, 2007 03:01:03 pm
      ive been up to my normal liverpool bet ive got hyypia first goal again won me 34 quid last week, my missus has torres first goal and liverpool to win 2-1 which will get us £50.

COME ON YOU MIGHTY REDS

REINA
      ARBELOA
      CARRAGHER
      HYYPIA
      RIISE
      BENAYOUN
      GERRARD
      LUCAS
      BABEL
      TORRES
      CROUCH