Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v City?

Caoimhin Kelleher
      2 (2.4%)
      Jarell Quansah
      1 (1.2%)
      Conor Bradley
      2 (2.4%)
      Joe Gomez
      1 (1.2%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      18 (21.2%)
      Wataru Endo
      17 (20%)
      Alexis Mac Allister
      26 (30.6%)
      Harvey Elliott
      2 (2.4%)
      Luis Diaz
      14 (16.5%)
      Darwin Núñez
      2 (2.4%)
      Dominik Szoboszlai
      0 (0%)
      Mohamed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Cody Gakpo
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Voting closed: Mar 14, 2024 05:46:30 pm

Liverpool 1-1 Manchester City: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 7363 times
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,434 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: Liverpool 1-1 Manchester City: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #483: Mar 10, 2024 06:17:33 pm
      Any higher and doku would have given macca a Tracheotomy
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,062 posts | 2109 
      Reply #484: Mar 10, 2024 06:18:34 pm
      What a superb display. But I'm gutted / pissed off we didn't get the three points from that. It was a midfield display to savour. Mac allister, Endo and Szobo were nigh on perfect. It was utterly complete in vision and understanding of each other and everyone else. Quite a midfield trio if we can keep them all fit and firing together.

Quansah and Virgil were superb together, particularly Quansah who is still so raw yet is growing in stature every time he plays for us. Kelleher - well there's nothing to be said about this guy. He just keep doing it and doing it. Ali has a big job on his hands when he comes back but what a lovely dilemma to have. Bradley - superb. I can only think he had gassed himself such was the reason why he came off (if not - why?)

Nunez didn't score but he was a wrecking ball all afternoon when on the pitch. The amount of headers and flick ons in mid air he achieved was superb. Questions will be asked of Jürgen as to why he came off. Unless it was an injury, there was no excuse for removing him for Gakpo which was like, and indeed had the effect, of a West End stage show replacing their lead actor Daniel Day Lewis with Danny F***ing Dyer.

As for Diaz...well Diaz, Diaz, Diaz. It just doesn't work out for him does it? He has tenacity, he runs ALL game and his heart is big. But his mind is lacking and he doesn't have the conviction or dare I say it (after 2 years seeing him up close) the quality. Many players would give their right arm to have ONE gilt edged chance against City. So to have not one, not two but THREE quality opportunities to score in 7 minutes and FLUFF every single one of them, well it makes for shocking viewing.

We were all over them for much of that second half. They looked as bang average a city side as I've seen at Anfield for a very very long time. Performance wise, possibly City's worst at Anfield whilst Pep has been managing them. Yet they stole a point from this because of our own ineffectiveness.

Did the subs work out? I'd love to see Jürgen justify taking Szobo and Nunez off, especially the latter. Both were a pain in the arse for City and didn't look like fading. Granted - Bradley looked like he'd run around the world when the half time whistle blew so I could understand that. But I'm struggling with the Szobo and Nunez decisions.

What's worse with the Nunez / Gakpo substitution is the fear and suspicion that Jürgen was doing it to 'prove a point.' It's been written about that Gakpo was a signing purely of Jürgen and Lijnders making and not the Director of Football's. With the news that Edwards is coming back I hope to God Jürgen wasn't trying to force / justify his decision of what has turned out to be a very poor signing on his part (and emboldens the idea of the Sporting Director providing the names to sign rather than the coaches). Gakpo came on and promptly sucked the life and drama out of our attack. There was no rhyme or reason as to his appearance and was tantamount to Jürgen throwing two points away right there. If Doku had scored instead of hitting the post, the ramifications of that substitutions would have been even worse.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #485: Mar 10, 2024 06:18:37 pm
      0 contact on the ball. Unless you are genuinely disabled in which case apologies but stop being a retard.

He’s running the VAR and justifying why he didn’t ask the ref to look at it. Easy answer is unintentional so nothing given.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,543 posts | 1481 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #486: Mar 10, 2024 06:18:59 pm
      First time I have ever seen the soccer sub reddit on Reddit all agree, even the Arsenal and Scum fans are asking why that isn't a pen, along with fans across Europe.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #487: Mar 10, 2024 06:19:03 pm
      KDB......got the hump.Don't understand why Pep took him off. He could've played the vital pass...dropped a bollock Pep..

City were much better when KDB came off
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #488: Mar 10, 2024 06:21:45 pm

Yup, we lost a bit of our dominance when Kovacic and Doku came on as they were keeping the ball well.
      Harrisimo

• 8,288 posts | 1401 
      Reply #489: Mar 10, 2024 06:22:25 pm
      Went for Macca but VVD was close. As was Quansah. Endo good again. Boss saying the lest minute pen was 100% foul anywhere else on the pitch.

Oliver bottled it...or....he made a loaded decision.
      Harrisimo

• 8,288 posts | 1401 
      Reply #490: Mar 10, 2024 06:24:12 pm

But that's not the point I'm making. KDB can make it happen in a second. I was happy he went off and I bet klopp wasn't disappointed.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #491: Mar 10, 2024 06:24:19 pm
      Well apart from Diaz and his poor finishing, I don’t think anyone done much wrong. Some of the through balls from Mac and Endo were beautiful to watch.
      I’ve gone for Mac for motm. Never flustered, so calm on the ball, and like everyone, put a shift in.
      Can’t remember the last time I saw city battered like they were second half.
      Even though, I thought the subs a bit strange 🤷‍♂️
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,755 posts | 863 
      Reply #492: Mar 10, 2024 06:24:42 pm
      He was superb mate, although I went for big Virgil because he was also immense, Haaland barely had a sniff and he was shepherding young Quansah through his first BIG game.
      Yup, I think what you just pointed out will be lost on many. It's not an easy task to have a new partner every couple of games when you play CB and its very hard to go into a game of that magnitude with your job not just being to make sure you're perfect but also to make sure the young lad next to you is playing at least a 7 out of 10 game and then also fixing anything he might do wrong.

He's another player that made you feel like you were seeing double today, he was everywhere all at once.

• Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,127 posts | 83 
      Reply #493: Mar 10, 2024 06:25:04 pm
      We will win or lose the championship against some of those inferior teams on the road. That is where we need to win. Again who complains about us not gettin 3 points must also concede that Doku could have killed us late.
      Don77

• 6,540 posts | 1091 
      Reply #494: Mar 10, 2024 06:30:04 pm
      We're missing Jota badly. Not just his finishing either. If he'd played today we'd have won that. Such an important player.

He's a top shelf player.
      Harrisimo

• 8,288 posts | 1401 
      Reply #495: Mar 10, 2024 06:31:52 pm
      Now Oliver was 4/5 yards away...and if he doesn't give that he'll never give one. Carra says Doku just pulled out at the last second...absolute nonsense.  And even if there was a tiny element of Duku just hesitating there is no way Oliver could seen that.

It was 100% penalty and nobody would've made any complaint if it was our player going in boot chest high. A scandalous decision.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,049 posts | 3431 
      Reply #496: Mar 10, 2024 06:32:01 pm
      Electric atmosphere from the off , brilliant from Endo and Gary Mac in the middle

Not one player left anything out there and they deserved better from the officials

Some need to have a look at yourself if you’re slagging off players today
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,200 posts | 836 
      Reply #497: Mar 10, 2024 06:32:17 pm
      We got robbed against Man City again, what’s new?
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,310 posts | 774 
      Reply #498: Mar 10, 2024 06:32:52 pm
      What a superb display. But I'm gutted / pissed off we didn't get the three points from that. It was a midfield display to savour. Mac allister, Endo and Szobo were nigh on perfect. It was utterly complete in vision and understanding of each other and everyone else. Quite a midfield trio if we can keep them all fit and firing together.

Quansah and Virgil were superb together, particularly Quansah who is still so raw yet is growing in stature every time he plays for us. Kelleher - well there's nothing to be said about this guy. He just keep doing it and doing it. Ali has a big job on his hands when he comes back but what a lovely dilemma to have. Bradley - superb. I can only think he had gassed himself such was the reason why he came off (if not - why?)

Nunez didn't score but he was a wrecking ball all afternoon when on the pitch. The amount of headers and flick ons in mid air he achieved was superb. Questions will be asked of Jürgen as to why he came off. Unless it was an injury, there was no excuse for removing him for Gakpo which was like, and indeed had the effect, of a West End stage show replacing their lead actor Daniel Day Lewis with Danny F***ing Dyer.

As for Diaz...well Diaz, Diaz, Diaz. It just doesn't work out for him does it? He has tenacity, he runs ALL game and his heart is big. But his mind is lacking and he doesn't have the conviction or dare I say it (after 2 years seeing him up close) the quality. Many players would give their right arm to have ONE gilt edged chance against City. So to have not one, not two but THREE quality opportunities to score in 7 minutes and FLUFF every single one of them, well it makes for shocking viewing.

We were all over them for much of that second half. They looked as bang average a city side as I've seen at Anfield for a very very long time. Performance wise, possibly City's worst at Anfield whilst Pep has been managing them. Yet they stole a point from this because of our own ineffectiveness.

Did the subs work out? I'd love to see Jürgen justify taking Szobo and Nunez off, especially the latter. Both were a pain in the arse for City and didn't look like fading. Granted - Bradley looked like he'd run around the world when the half time whistle blew so I could understand that. But I'm struggling with the Szobo and Nunez decisions.

What's worse with the Nunez / Gakpo substitution is the fear and suspicion that Jürgen was doing it to 'prove a point.' It's been written about that Gakpo was a signing purely of Jürgen and Lijnders making and not the Director of Football's. With the news that Edwards is coming back I hope to God Jürgen wasn't trying to force / justify his decision of what has turned out to be a very poor signing on his part (and emboldens the idea of the Sporting Director providing the names to sign rather than the coaches). Gakpo came on and promptly sucked the life and drama out of our attack. There was no rhyme or reason as to his appearance and was tantamount to Jürgen throwing two points away right there. If Doku had scored instead of hitting the post, the ramifications of that substitutions would have been even worse.
      Agree with all that FMS..except for the reason of subbing Slozb & Nunez. JK doesn't play around with justifying anything to anyone, like what you suspect....He has too much respect for the club...it wouldn't even cross his mind....and I'm sure deep down you know that.
      paulow63
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 673 posts | 87 
      Reply #499: Mar 10, 2024 06:34:22 pm
      10 Cup Finals.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,310 posts | 774 
      Reply #500: Mar 10, 2024 06:35:55 pm
      But that's not the point I'm making. KDB can make it happen in a second. I was happy he went off and I bet klopp wasn't disappointed.
      He was knackered and couldn't run.
      Harrisimo

• 8,288 posts | 1401 
      Reply #501: Mar 10, 2024 06:36:48 pm
      And if VAR can't send the Ref to the monitor for the Doku 'tackle' then the whole thing is a farce.
      Harrisimo

• 8,288 posts | 1401 
      Reply #502: Mar 10, 2024 06:37:58 pm
      He was knackered and couldn't run.

Oh may be was explaining that to Pep.
      Harrisimo

• 8,288 posts | 1401 
      Reply #503: Mar 10, 2024 06:45:19 pm
      Our subs didn't get universal approval. Bradley played great but was subbed. Dom probably getting a bit leggy. Nunez could be the same and took a heavy knock against the post. Must've had a good reason to bring on Cody and Nunez off.
      bekloppt
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #504: Mar 10, 2024 06:57:58 pm
      How outstanding was that! To play City off the park as it happened in the second half and especially after all the bad luck with injuries, when it is so difficult to keep rhythm. I would not have expected that kind of showing tbh! So many brilliant performances. Three points would have been more than deserved! I'm in awe of the team, Klopp and this football club! Can't help feeling disappointed though at the moment, and yes, clear penalty not given imo!
      Ddecker
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 137 posts | 50 
      Reply #505: Mar 10, 2024 07:04:37 pm
      He’s running the VAR and justifying why he didn’t ask the ref to look at it. Easy answer is unintentional so nothing given.
      Does that mean we shouldn’t have got the pen we did? Because I’m sure ederson intended to clear the ball and not kick anyone

Quick Reply