Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Michael Edwards Returns to FSG

Read 4022 times
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Re: Michael Edwards Returns to Liverpool
      Reply #23: Mar 12, 2024 04:13:01 pm
      Any idea who the second club might be?

Everton 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,541 posts | 1091 
      Reply #24: Mar 12, 2024 04:16:19 pm
      So, if Edwards now works for fsg and is their head of football operations, if fsg decide to sell the club and leave would that mean Edwards went as well as he now works for them doing what Mike Gordon did previously.

Put simply, is Edwards on fsg's payroll now ... and not the payroll of Liverpool Fc? Seems like he could be spending time at whatever other club fsg buy.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,310 posts | 775 
      Reply #25: Mar 12, 2024 04:19:23 pm
      I'm sure this news is all well and good....but I still subscribe to Shankly's maxim. That being:  At a Football Club, there's a holy trinity, The Players...The Manager....and the Supporters.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #26: Mar 12, 2024 04:22:00 pm
      So, if Edwards now works for fsg and is their head of football operations, if fsg decide to sell the club and leave would that mean Edwards went as well as he now works for them doing what Mike Gordon did previously.

Put simply, is Edwards on fsg's payroll now ... and not the payroll of Liverpool Fc? Seems like he could be spending time at whatever other club fsg buy.

He's been appointed the FSG Football CEO, not Liverpool.
      So he'll be in charge of more than Liverpool in the long run.
      Don77

• 6,541 posts | 1091 
      Reply #27: Mar 12, 2024 04:23:59 pm

So basically if fsg Said we're off , sell up and  buy another top club ... Edwards would go with them.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #28: Mar 12, 2024 04:29:19 pm
      One thing I do wonder, this seems to be a higher up (larger) role than Edwards had before. Will this mean he leaves most of the footballing decisions to Hughes and he won't be involved in as much of the actual legwork? Or will he still be involved as he was before with his data analysis and negotiating?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #29: Mar 12, 2024 04:48:05 pm
      One thing I do wonder, this seems to be a higher up (larger) role than Edwards had before. Will this mean he leaves most of the footballing decisions to Hughes and he won't be involved in as much of the actual legwork? Or will he still be involved as he was before with his data analysis and negotiating?

I don't think Edwards will be involved in much of the day to day stuff once we have a sporting director and manager in place. He might be consulted on things (especially if Hughes is the SD as they are close) but it won't be much more than that unless things are going tits up.

The key thing is Edwards is working for FSG not Liverpool in this new role. Once the major post Klopp stuff is sorted he'll be working on finding another club for FSG to buy as we go forward with this multi club ownership thing.
      Redangel

• 8,339 posts | 1011 
      Reply #30: Mar 12, 2024 05:10:24 pm

I think this is the role he wanted, he’d apparently turned down the DOF role in a number of clubs after he left us. I think the main thing is they’ve persuaded him to come back with a much more enhanced and varied role, plus he’s instrumental in bringing in the ex Southampton DOF as they’re friends and have worked together before. For me there are no negatives to this, they’ve played a blinder!
      CT_LFC

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #31: Mar 12, 2024 05:27:03 pm
      I think this is the role he wanted, he’d apparently turned down the DOF role in a number of clubs after he left us. I think the main thing is they’ve persuaded him to come back with a much more enhanced and varied role, plus he’s instrumental in bringing in the ex Southampton DOF as they’re friends and have worked together before. For me there are no negatives to this, they’ve played a blinder!

Been browsing some articles today and i believe i read that being involved in acquisitions was a requirement in a next role, whether it be us or another team.

He will obviously have a hand / say on Liverpool but not to the extent and level of detail he did before as he is now also responsible for growing the number of teams and they working together
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #32: Mar 12, 2024 07:43:51 pm

Yea he will work for FSG but will hire the Sporting Director for LFC.

Which makes more sense to me now the way the roles will work.
      Redangel

• 8,339 posts | 1011 
      Reply #33: Mar 12, 2024 07:47:46 pm
      Been browsing some articles today and i believe i read that being involved in acquisitions was a requirement in a next role, whether it be us or another team.

He will obviously have a hand / say on Liverpool but not to the extent and level of detail he did before as he is now also responsible for growing the number of teams and they working together

Exactly, this is what apparently he wanted, my only interest is, is this a good appointment for Liverpool Football Club, for me yes it is. He knows this club inside out, he did really well in his last tenure, I would want him, rather than some outsider who doesn’t get this club!
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,244 posts | 922 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #34: Mar 12, 2024 07:54:04 pm
      So Edward’s works for FSG and notLFC, sonot really good news for us as a club
      Redangel

• 8,339 posts | 1011 
      Reply #35: Mar 12, 2024 08:06:04 pm

Well FSG are our owners, I really don’t see the problem, he wasn’t prepared to come back unless he had enhanced responsibilities, multiple clubs were after him, he is in demand across Europe, I can’t see a negative. Some will always find fault, just because they are American owners, we could have much much worse owners!
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,049 posts | 3431 
      Reply #36: Mar 12, 2024 08:08:28 pm

Of course it’s good news for us-  he will be running the football side of FSG which right now is us
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 298 
      Reply #37: Mar 12, 2024 08:20:31 pm
      So basically if fsg Said we're off , sell up and  buy another top club ... Edwards would go with them.

I think this means FSG are very unlikely to sell Liverpool. If they are moving to a multi-club model they are getting more involved in Football and will not be moving out of the sport. Why would they sell us to buy another big club?

They might need to raise some capital if they plan to buy more clubs so we might see new investors coming in to FSG but I don't think that would affect the management structure in the organisation.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #38: Mar 12, 2024 08:25:04 pm
      Of course it’s good news for us-  he will be running the football side of FSG which right now is us

Which suggests eventually they're gonna invest in someone else, wasn't one of the ex-NESV crew involved in Roma.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,049 posts | 3431 
      Reply #39: Mar 12, 2024 09:20:21 pm
      Which suggests eventually they're gonna invest in someone else, wasn't one of the ex-NESV crew involved in Roma.

Yeah but I don’t think it’s going to a club that will be in the Champions league
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #40: Mar 12, 2024 10:01:16 pm
      You lot are doing a very good of making this NOT sound like good news. It’s great news!!! I’m chuffed to bits
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #41: Mar 12, 2024 10:02:49 pm

Since he will be overseeing everything football related I think we can rest easy.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,219 posts | 1221 
      Reply #42: Mar 12, 2024 10:31:05 pm

Probably some team in a lower league not so well known. Seem to be quite a few of these multi club owners. I believe Ineos own a French club. Not sure how much value there is in it though? Maybe it's as a feeder club and bigger network of resources.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #43: Mar 12, 2024 10:58:21 pm

What does it matter you f***in skid mark, ffs, you just can’t say anything positive about us can you, give yer heid a wobble dip sh*t, and while yer at it explain to us what’s bad about this news, even in a moment of cheerfulness you have to find negative things to say, F**k off !!!

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #44: Mar 12, 2024 11:39:25 pm
      Probably some team in a lower league not so well known. Seem to be quite a few of these multi club owners. I believe Ineos own a French club. Not sure how much value there is in it though? Maybe it's as a feeder club and bigger network of resources.

That's more what i would expect, although I'm not sure if it is a lower English league club or a continental league like say Belgium, Portugal or Austria (or more than one). Liverpool be the clearly-preeminent club in the setup. (I mean it IS the best club in the world after all).
      CT_LFC

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #45: Mar 13, 2024 12:57:25 am
      That's more what i would expect, although I'm not sure if it is a lower English league club or a continental league like say Belgium, Portugal or Austria (or more than one). Liverpool be the clearly-preeminent club in the setup. (I mean it IS the best club in the world after all).

I assume there's a rule that 2 clubs in the same league cannot have the same owner? Say they buy a team in a lower league but fate has it they get promoted to the Premier League. What would happen then?

I personally think the 2nd club will be a smaller club in a smaller league for which part of its function is to be a feeder club and send them the players we would currently look to loan. We've had various instances where we loan a player and it ends up being a waste of time, so having a smaller team to send them to that follows the same approach as us where they will actually get playing time would only help.

Quick Reply