Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Sheff Utd?

Caoimhin Kelleher
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Luis Diaz
      0 (0%)
      Dominik Szoboszlai
      0 (0%)
      Darwin Núñez
      0 (0%)
      Alexis Mac Allister
      63 (95.5%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Ibrahima Konaté
      0 (0%)
      Mohamed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Ryan Gravenberch
      0 (0%)
      Conor Bradley
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      1 (1.5%)
      Cody Gakpo
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      2 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Voting closed: Apr 08, 2024 09:28:15 pm

Liverpool 3-1 Sheffield United: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 5120 times
      thanks2shanks
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 289 posts | 28 
      Re: Liverpool 3-1 Sheffield United: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #368: Apr 05, 2024 02:05:00 pm
      Didn't see the match, so I have a question:

When Robertson came on for Gravenberch after 60 minutes, what position did he play?  I ask because Gomez stayed on for another 13 minutes, before giving way to Gapko.

So did Robbo play left-side of midfield three at first?

Thanks.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 864 posts | 170 
      Reply #369: Apr 05, 2024 02:24:03 pm
      Didn't see the match, so I have a question:

When Robertson came on for Gravenberch after 60 minutes, what position did he play?  I ask because Gomez stayed on for another 13 minutes, before giving way to Gapko.

So did Robbo play left-side of midfield three at first?

Thanks.

It was a double change. Harvey and Robbo both come on for Grav and Mo seconds after they'd equalised and we immediately took charge again. Gomez tucked inside more and filled the area Grav took up whilst Robbo basically played like a 2nd winger.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,340 posts | 6390 
      Reply #370: Apr 05, 2024 02:38:38 pm
      Stats read 29 shots, 9 on target with 13 corners and a record amount of possession yet the eye test will tell you we were pretty ponderous throughout large parts of the game so I can understand how anyone who just looked at the stats and didn't watch the game or maybe only tuned into the last 15-20 mins would say otherwise.

I watched the whole game pal and the eye test matches up with the stats. Bar a few counter attacks we dominated them and only because they packed everyone in the box did they stand a chance this game.

Some people like to complain no matter how we played. I'm preferring to look at the positives which are that we dominated the game for the most part and aside from a terrible defensive lapse, it never looked in doubt. Then again I may not be a nail biter like some are that think we are just going to collapse at any given opportunity.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 864 posts | 170 
      Reply #371: Apr 05, 2024 04:05:57 pm
      I watched the whole game pal and the eye test matches up with the stats. Bar a few counter attacks we dominated them and only because they packed everyone in the box did they stand a chance this game.

Some people like to complain no matter how we played. I'm preferring to look at the positives which are that we dominated the game for the most part and aside from a terrible defensive lapse, it never looked in doubt. Then again I may not be a nail biter like some are that think we are just going to collapse at any given opportunity.

People assess and evaluate games differently, some prefer to hold back of any kind of negativity or criticism whilst others prefer to be more balanced. The good, bad and ugly. I take no issue with either.

We dominated without every really threatening much...it was all too casual until the subs were made and then you saw the mentality shift to "ok now we really need to push on if we want to get 3 points" their equaliser gave us the waking call we needed, Sheffield Utd arguably had the biggest chance of the game & we've won games in better fashion with "lesser stats" (such as Villa or Brentford). None of those things are unreasonable to say.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 300 
      Reply #372: Apr 05, 2024 05:22:38 pm
      No bickering here. But im not having childish responses to an honest assessment of a match and being called arrogant and entitled over an honest assessment of a match ive just been to and watched. My dad who is 75 must be arrogant and entitled too because he saw it the same way.

Debate is fine. Tactics, subs, starting xi ... agree/disagree whatever. But this is a forum for grown ups.

Geez there were some knee jerk comments in that match thread last night. People getting called allsorts and some slagged off before they'd even come on as sub.

I never look forward to the everton/united games. Glad when theyre over. Need to put them in their place after the cup game. But we will have to play much better than last night and put in a more complete performance to take the 3 points. Thats not being negative. Thats being realistic.

Fair enough, I apologise for calling you arrogant and entitled. Everyone is allowed to have an opinion.

I think we controlled the majority of the game and restricted them to a few chances. You might describe the team last night as slow but I see that as us developing a more possession based approach which is necessary for playing against low block teams. We are scoring lots of goals in the last 15 mins of games and that is because we are wearing down teams physically and mentally over the 90 mins.

We have a very good chance of winning number 20, I think we should all enjoy these next couple of months, I personally don't think it's very healthy for you to be so focused on the negative stuff.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #373: Apr 05, 2024 05:49:19 pm
      Yes, I want us to play good football and slam everyone, but 1-0 is as good as 10-0 - as long as we keep picking up 3 points.

No no no. The quality of each 3 points and the manner we secure them is important. We need to torture and destroy our opponents for all the minutes on the pitch and make them succumb to our pressure. The best is they get destroyed by the first five minutes.

We need to be unhappy about the goals conceded, mistakes made and not allow players room to commit them. Otherwise they get complacent and will slag off. We need to be highly serious and critical about our weaknesses and never celebrate any success prematurely in case we become complacent.

This is called the spirit of Heimdall who is a big advocator punishing players to the bench the moment they make a mistake. The key is to make players insecure about their selection so that they will start outplaying and rival their own teammates to force themselves into starting. In that way, the squad is so fearful of being dropped that we will always hammer our opponents and mercilessly rip them to shreads. High quality three points!

I will never forget the Heimdall spirit. The outcome is Heimdall is never happy with any match result because obviously there are always imperfections to moan about. Even in a 10-0 match result because somebody gave a silly ball away…  :mad: :f_zzz:
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,036 posts | 2720 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #374: Apr 05, 2024 06:56:33 pm
      No no no. The quality of each 3 points and the manner we secure them is important. We need to torture and destroy our opponents for all the minutes on the pitch and make them succumb to our pressure. The best is they get destroyed by the first five minutes.

We need to be unhappy about the goals conceded, mistakes made and not allow players room to commit them. Otherwise they get complacent and will slag off. We need to be highly serious and critical about our weaknesses and never celebrate any success prematurely in case we become complacent.

This is called the spirit of Heimdall who is a big advocator punishing players to the bench the moment they make a mistake. The key is to make players insecure about their selection so that they will start outplaying and rival their own teammates to force themselves into starting. In that way, the squad is so fearful of being dropped that we will always hammer our opponents and mercilessly rip them to shreads. High quality three points!

I will never forget the Heimdall spirit. The outcome is Heimdall is never happy with any match result because obviously there are always imperfections to moan about. Even in a 10-0 match result because somebody gave a silly ball away…  :mad: :f_zzz:

Very good post, sadly it reminded me of the noisy neighbours. 🤮
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,251 posts | 924 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #375: Apr 05, 2024 07:12:36 pm
      No conceding an early goal…please, let’s give them a thumping, we need the goals

And what do we go and do within the first 3 minutes we gave away 2 chances, when will we learn
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,246 posts | 8577 
      Reply #376: Apr 05, 2024 08:01:40 pm
      This game convinced me we will not make it. This team is suspect and will find ways to drop more than a point down the stretch. Elliott = snail, not fast enough even for League 2. Golden opportunity lost to get some better GD.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahaha hahaha

Your gobs***e crying act is wearing F***ing thin lad

I had a chinese dad and lad tourist next to me last night at the match and the small kid would of put you to F***ing shame, trying to belt out the songs and pure fist pumping with us when Macallister hit his blockbuster. Christ you didn't you listen to the gaffer did you

"just enjoy it"

Winning is all that matters and we won.

Up the F***ing Redmen!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,246 posts | 8577 
      Reply #377: Apr 05, 2024 08:06:59 pm

Absolutely, christ I remember all the raving about Dom at the start of the season.

This fella is just bossing our midfield now, never F***ing stops tracking back winning tackles, playing brilliant passes and hitting worldies. The free kick would of been the icing on the cake for his all round performance.

Quick Reply