Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Atalanta?

Caoimhin Kelleher
      4 (8.7%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Ibrahima KonatƩ
      2 (4.3%)
      Kostas Tsimikas
      0 (0%)
      Alexis Mac Allister
      3 (6.5%)
      Harvey Elliott
      3 (6.5%)
      Wataru Endo
      1 (2.2%)
      Cody Gakpo
      12 (26.1%)
      Darwin NĆŗƱez
      2 (4.3%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)
      Dominik Szoboszlai
      0 (0%)
      Mohamed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Diogo Jota
      16 (34.8%)
      Andy Robertson
      3 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Voting closed: Apr 15, 2024 09:51:25 pm

Liverpool 0-3 Atalanta: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 7141 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,395 posts | 2823 
      Re: Liverpool 0-3 Atalanta: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #506: Apr 12, 2024 09:16:34 am
      Spoke to a couple of friends after the match who were there, they both said it was like no other European night match at Anfield that theyā€™d been to, no atmosphere and a totally flat performance! Is the fact that we know JĆ¼rgen is leaving in a matter of weeks affecting everyone at the Club, including the supporters. I for one am dreading that final game and saying goodbye to JĆ¼rgen, weā€™ve got to pull together to give him the best send off, hopefully with a couple more trophies.
      We need a really good win at the weekend, to lift everyone. Come on Redmen, YNWA.

I think Klopp leaving hasn't had the galvanising effect we all thought it would have. We assumed it would make everyone hungrier to finish on a high but it hasn't panned out that way. The ground has been a bit flat for a while now - might be the reality of JĆ¼rgen leaving sinking in and there not really being an outstanding candidate to take over. For the players I wonder if some thought they would be integral to 'Liverpool 2.0' under Klopp but are now a bit worried about the future ahead and it's affecting their football.

We've got a couple of days to sort it out because dropped points against Palace kills our season. It would be a real shame to go through the motions for the last few weeks of JĆ¼rgen's tenure.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,619 posts | 3850 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #507: Apr 12, 2024 09:39:06 am
      I think Klopp leaving hasn't had the galvanising effect we all thought it would have. We assumed it would make everyone hungrier to finish on a high but it hasn't panned out that way. The ground has been a bit flat for a while now - might be the reality of JĆ¼rgen leaving sinking in and there not really being an outstanding candidate to take over. For the players I wonder if some thought they would be integral to 'Liverpool 2.0' under Klopp but are now a bit worried about the future ahead and it's affecting their football.

We've got a couple of days to sort it out because dropped points against Palace kills our season. It would be a real shame to go through the motions for the last few weeks of JĆ¼rgen's tenure.

Might be the realisation that Alonso isn't walking in the door to replace him,
      and suddenly remembering live before Klopp.

A reminder that the last few years under Klopp were the best of times for the Klopp,
      where Klopp and the lads won everything.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,520 posts | 1509 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #508: Apr 12, 2024 09:41:24 am
      Apart from about half a dozen games, I think we've struggled for any fluidity all season. We've had bad luck with VAR decisions and terrible luck with injuries. Perhaps that's knocked our rhythm more than we thought it would. To be fair to the players and staff, as bad as last night was, we've done well just to be where we are right now - all things considered.

Either way, I think our Europa League campaign is over. We need to win an away game, in Italy, scoring at least 4 goals, with a forward line that misses gilt-edge chances, and a defence that has kept one clean sheet in 14 games (and as someone said, that was against a below-average Utd team that barely got into our half). I can't see it happening.

Hopefully, though, that defeat knocks the arrogance out of us and gets us doing the basics once again. We have seven games left until the end of the season, so I would love to see us return to the high-energy, high-tempo, gegen-pressing, heavy-metal football which has brought so much success. Last night was like listening to someone taking their first music lesson playing the flute.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,348 posts | 1532 
      Reply #509: Apr 12, 2024 09:44:33 am
      Since the self capitulation in the F A Cup v the man's, we've gone down hill game by game. I couldn't watch the game last night, but followed events on line.
      It sounded like almost everyone had a mental breakdown. Problem for me was, the players who were really poor, never got replaced early enough, if at all, and we continued in a downward spiral.
      Is it just because everyone has our measure now ?  If they press high, then attack the space behind our back line when we do get up the field. It seems to work for any side with a decent bit of pace up top. The bigger issue is, we are not adjusting to counter that. We just continue with the same tactic even when were over run like last night. Surely we have enough characters on the field to make an adjustment to the set up in play don't we.

Can't believe the drop off over 3 / 4 weeks. Think Palace will no doubt try the same tactic, and we'll do well to beat them if we don't change something.
      Cat vote for mom as I couldn't watch the game. 

If nothing changes tactically soon, can see us with just the Carabao cup this season. Most sides are gonna have the measure of us.

Sad times.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,520 posts | 1509 
      Reply #510: Apr 12, 2024 09:53:25 am
      Cat vote for mom as I couldn't watch the game.
      So who did your cat vote for MotM? :)

« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2024 10:14:48 am by Rush »
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 862 posts | 170 
      Reply #511: Apr 12, 2024 10:01:28 am
      If the supporters are so crucial to the result, like you and several others have now suggested by saying it cost us today, then why are you happy for those supporters to be milked like a cash cow by our owners?

You canā€™t have it both ways.

Do I think they're being milked like cash cows? No I don't, pulled that 1 from thin air.

Ultimately we weren't good enough and the loss is on the players and Klopp......what I'm saying is it doesn't help, they throw their toys out the pram and make it all about themselves......you only hear these jokers pipe up when it involves a bit of money and they don't speak for all fans. Throwing strops because they're not consulted on every matter, entitled bellends. If you disapprove then show it privately, don't be cu*ts and embarrass the club on a European night.
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,710 posts | 151 
      Reply #512: Apr 12, 2024 10:05:01 am
      Klopp unexpected departure have fu**ed us over so bad, you can say all you want but all the signings we made were in mind to him and his playstyle. Now we are caught in a weird place where some of these players we signed, might not even fit the new manager system. I think both Macca and Szobo are fine since they are both versatile but for Nunez, Gakpo, Gravenberch I don't know whats gonna happen.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,299 posts | 766 
      Reply #513: Apr 12, 2024 10:13:57 am
      Possibly the lads have tried so hard over the last couple of months, trying to cover for injuries etc. It has finally taken it's toll. unfortunate for players and especially the fans, who anticipated so much.

Klopp's departure obviously not helped, just hope the players lift themselves for the last few games of the season.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,296 posts | 1666 
      Reply #514: Apr 12, 2024 10:33:29 am

There was talk certain players Szlob and Nunez to name two not happy as the big reason they came was Klopp so maybe it has had a negative affect which it always was going to have in certain ways . I still stand by the failure to beat Mancs twice has hindered confidence and after being so high with the results and coping with the injuries just hit a bit of a wall. Said before Sunday will be really interesting to see how we and certain individuals react
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,950 posts | 5009 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #515: Apr 12, 2024 10:37:35 am
      I wasnā€™t going to bother posting anything at all today but after reading the sh*te from some of you so called supporters I thought F**k it why not, i dunno if this will be my last post or not but if it is then so be it, now Iā€™m not going to name names that would get me banned, might be doing me a favour though if i was, ā€¦.

Iā€™ve been with this club since ā€˜76ā€™ and Iā€™ve it all, the ups and the downs, last night was one of the worst performances I can remember in Europe, especially at home, we were pathetic, worse than that, we were abysmal and looked like it was our first ever European encounter, that showing was for me a indication why JĆ¼rgen Klopp has decided enough is enough, it was weary, tired, run down and totally without energy, just like the man himself,

It hurts me to say that, it really does after what he has brought us over the last almost 9 years, Gasperini totally out foxed JĆ¼rgen, I donā€™t think it would have mattered that much which side JĆ¼rgen put out there, Gasperiniā€™s tactics were to man mark every one of our players, and they did, and we couldnā€™t handle it, itā€™s as simply as that,

Now ok, some of you were spot on in that JĆ¼rgen didnt field a strong enough X1 from the start, i thought so too, I wanted our fullest strongest X1 available, hoping to get the job done and to rest key individuals for the weekend, but realistically we were caught with our trousers at our ankles and fu**ed in the arse,

Weā€™ve had some really bad performances under JĆ¼rgen before, but that last night was by far the worst, and again Iā€™m sorry but that is totally unacceptable from a Liverpool side, and a further indication that our brilliant fantastic managerā€™s tenure is all but finished, the knowledge that he is in the last throes of his time with us is evident, itā€™s effecting the players, clearly, thatā€™s reflective of the supporters and the whole atmosphere both on and off the pitch, it might even be effecting some you lot too, with youā€™re continuous sniping and vitriol towards the players and their performances,

Itā€™s not the fairy tale ending we all were hoping for, itā€™s in fact in danger of fizzling out with a bit of a whimper, none of us want to see that, well most of us donā€™t, but only JĆ¼rgen and the boys can change that, with the backing of course of the match going fans, some of you being amongst them, attitudes need to change, weā€™re lower than shark sh*t right now but come the weekend most will have put this debacle behind us and so to will the players,

It was a real bad day at the office, they happen, but itā€™s not the end of the f***in World is it, we move on as they say and live to fight another day, we may have shot ourselves in the foot as far as the Europa is concerned, but weā€™re still in this title race, we still have a more than reasonable chance of being Champions !!

ā€œ IF YOU CANā€™T SUPPORT US WHEN WE LOSE, DONā€™T SUPPORT US WHEN WE WINā€

I dunno how JĆ¼rgen picks himself and the players up, but they have to, and we have to believe that they will, so everyone to a man(and Women) stop with the vitriolic nonsense and f***in bullshit and get behind JĆ¼rgen and the boys,  we are after all ā€œSUPPORTERS ā€œ So letā€™s f***in Support and give everything we can to help, even if itā€™s only from yer armchair, it Matters, it creates Positive Vibes and that transcends to everyone who buys into Liverpool FC

WE ARE LIVERPOOL, THIS MEANS MORE !!!!

YNWA

skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,157 posts | 261 
      Reply #516: Apr 12, 2024 10:59:58 am
      YNWA
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,203 posts | 838 
      Reply #517: Apr 12, 2024 11:17:05 am
      Well that was sh*t

Maybe we can try to win the league now
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 862 posts | 170 
      Reply #518: Apr 12, 2024 11:35:00 am
      Well that was sh*t

Maybe we can try to win the league now

That's always been the priority, further evidence was the line up last night. 4 regulars.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,338 posts | 6390 
      Reply #519: Apr 12, 2024 11:52:44 am
      Atalanta had a plan, they executed it and we capitulated. To be honest we played right into their hands. It wasnā€™t Kloppā€™s best tactical response ever thatā€™s for sure.  But watching that game, itā€™s not that they are that good, we just played like dog sh*t. We have got to stop shipping goals. Thatā€™s why Arsenal have us on GD because they are well drilled in defense and we seem to falling back into that issue we had a year or so back where we just werenā€™t solid in defense. I fully believe we are gonna score 4 or more goals when we play them again. Iā€™m honestly not worried about advancing. This was an outlier of a performance and the law of averages dictates that Atalanta is likely going to revert back to ā€œwho they really areā€ when we play them again and I have faith that JĆ¼rgen is going to have our boys ready. It sucks being in this position but what a night it will be when we turn them over and win this tie. It will be something else for us to talk about for years.
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,710 posts | 151 
      Reply #520: Apr 12, 2024 12:13:27 pm
      ToshackKeeganOneNil
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 561 posts | 110 
      Reply #521: Apr 12, 2024 12:18:04 pm
      Still very angry at that performance last night. Just saying like.
      DanMann

• 5,761 posts | 886 
      Reply #522: Apr 12, 2024 12:37:17 pm

Should have scored but all players have messed those up. It happens. He's also scored goals that Origi would wish he could score.
      DanMann

• 5,761 posts | 886 
      Reply #523: Apr 12, 2024 12:41:24 pm
      Still very angry at that performance last night. Just saying like.

I'm fuming. All LFC fans are. Unfortunately most players aren't fans and football is simply a sport and their job. They don't have the same passion, care, and fight. It doesn't hurt them.

We let Atalanta conquer us and take over Anfield. That is a disgrace. Our home fortress has fallen. The Atalanta squad celebrated on the pitch, stood in a circle, and their Manager danced to the acclaim of their team and fans.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,520 posts | 1509 
      Reply #524: Apr 12, 2024 12:43:39 pm
      I'm fuming. All LFC fans are. Unfortunately most players aren't fans and football is simply a sport and their job. They don't have the same passion, care, and fight. It doesn't hurt them.

We let Atalanta conquer us and take over Anfield. That is a disgrace. Our home fortress has fallen. The Atalanta squad celebrated on the pitch, stood in a circle, and their Manager danced to the acclaim of their team and fans.
      And they fully deserved it. I also heard we gave them a standing applause as they left the field.
      DanMann

• 5,761 posts | 886 
      Reply #525: Apr 12, 2024 01:03:13 pm
      And they fully deserved it. I also heard we gave them a standing applause as they left the field.

They absolutely deserved it.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 862 posts | 170 
      Reply #526: Apr 12, 2024 01:13:55 pm
      What did people actually expect though with that line up? Kelleher Gomez Kostas Harvey Jones Gakpo arenā€™t first team standard at a club like Liverpool. As well as Endo has done youā€™d probably have to include him too. Over half of our regulars left out.

Not going overboard, not whilst weā€™ve still got a chance to win the Prem.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,299 posts | 766 
      Reply #527: Apr 12, 2024 01:21:15 pm
      Atalanta had a plan, they executed it and we capitulated. To be honest we played right into their hands. It wasnā€™t Kloppā€™s best tactical response ever thatā€™s for sure.  But watching that game, itā€™s not that they are that good, we just played like dog sh*t. We have got to stop shipping goals. Thatā€™s why Arsenal have us on GD because they are well drilled in defense and we seem to falling back into that issue we had a year or so back where we just werenā€™t solid in defense. I fully believe we are gonna score 4 or more goals when we play them again. Iā€™m honestly not worried about advancing. This was an outlier of a performance and the law of averages dictates that Atalanta is likely going to revert back to ā€œwho they really areā€ when we play them again and I have faith that JĆ¼rgen is going to have our boys ready. It sucks being in this position but what a night it will be when we turn them over and win this tie. It will be something else for us to talk about for years.

Need a repeat of our away performanc at Sparta Prague, to turn things around, here's hoping !
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,003 posts | 223 
      Reply #528: Apr 12, 2024 02:03:04 pm
      The. State. Of. This. Comment.

Great comment

People Laughed at me when I said he was not up to it I watched him in Portuguese league and knew he wasnā€™t right for us

Quick Reply