Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the match v Crystal Palace

Allison Becker
      10 (18.2%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      30 (54.5%)
      Ibrahima Konate
      0 (0%)
      Conor Bradley
      1 (1.8%)
      Wataru Endo
      0 (0%)
      Alexis Mac Allister
      1 (1.8%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)
      Mo Salah
      0 (0%)
      Darwin Nunez
      3 (5.5%)
      Luis Diaz
      2 (3.6%)
      Cody Gakpo
      6 (10.9%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      1 (1.8%)
      Diogo Jota
      1 (1.8%)
      Dominic Szoboszlai
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Voting closed: Apr 17, 2024 04:03:40 pm

Liverpool 0-1 Crystal Palace: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 8667 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,072 posts | 3438 
      Re: Liverpool 0-1 Crystal Palace: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #736: Apr 14, 2024 06:48:09 pm
      Mate I respect your opinion, but there is a reason for why he is a easy target. He isn't good enough.

I find no joy in criticizing him, and tbh i think he is a good lad that tries alot. That said, he isn't good enough to be our nr 9, if we want to challenge for title. We need a striker that can score 20 goals in the league because we are too depended on Mo. Just like we used to be on Stevie before torres came.

I fully understand that it is hard to criticise a Liverpool player, i remember I wouldn't hear a bad word about kuyt back in the day but I will admit now that he wasn't good enough. Even tho he played his heart out and scored sole vital goals.

We can't be nice to players if we want to dominate English football, we need to be ruthless.

The front 5 have scored 82 goals this season between them

We donā€™t play with your ā€œtraditionalā€ 9

One more goal and Nunez has 20 for the season plus I think itā€™s 9 assists

He will prob end the season with a combined 30 goals and assists
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #737: Apr 14, 2024 06:58:48 pm
      The front 5 have scored 82 goals this season between them

We donā€™t play with your ā€œtraditionalā€ 9

One more goal and Nunez has 20 for the season plus I think itā€™s 9 assists

He will prob end the season with a combined 30 goals and assists

Mate we aren't talking about front 5 or front 3 but Nunez. I said 20 goals in the league, since I said dominating English football and not European and all that. Doesn't he have something like 11 goals in the league so far this deep in the season.

Listen I don't have anything against Nunez like I said before but as a Liverpool fan. Do you think it's good enough for Liverpool NR 9, that cost 80m to score 11 so far in the season? If you do then fair enough but I dont.

That's why I am saying over and over again that we can't be attached to player, and we need to be ruthless.

Imagine if we kept Babel, benteke, voronin, Keane, aspas, borini and so on. Just because we as a club were loyal. We can't afford to be loyal. Look at Guardiola. Look at all the teams that dominate football and how they swap their Squad.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,072 posts | 3438 
      Reply #738: Apr 14, 2024 07:04:29 pm
      Mate we aren't talking about front 5 or front 3 but Nunez. I said 20 goals in the league, since I said dominating English football and not European and all that. Doesn't he have something like 11 goals in the league so far this deep in the season.

Listen I don't have anything against Nunez like I said before but as a Liverpool fan. Do you think it's good enough for Liverpool NR 9, that cost 80m to score 11 so far in the season? If you do then fair enough but I dont.

That's why I am saying over and over again that we can't be attached to player, and we need to be ruthless.

Imagine if we kept Babel, benteke, voronin, Keane, aspas, borini and so on. Just because we as a club were loyal. We can't afford to be loyal. Look at Guardiola. Look at all the teams that dominate football and how they swap their Squad.

Nunez is not a true number 9 in way you are expecting - he isnā€™t Haaland

And he certainly shouldnā€™t be added to the likes of Voronin etc

The club play in more than domestic league and Iā€™m not sure why goals or assists in other competitions should be ignored

We bought Nunez for all the competitions and he has shown more than enough this season

Bobby was a 9 and wasnā€™t getting 20 a season

We know that Salah is the main goal threat and Nunez along with others feed him

Itā€™s about the sum of all the parts and the front 5 have produced

And you canā€™t compare to a manager or club that can afford to just throw money at problems
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,319 posts | 775 
      Reply #739: Apr 14, 2024 07:07:07 pm
      When we needed to stand up and be counted we fluffed our lines and fell on our ar*es...Once again we conspired to miss an absolute hat full of sitters. Their goal....you could see it unfold in slow motion.... pass, move, pass, shot ...Goal...Was it too much to ask someone to put a tackle in?..(Tommy Smith would be spinning in his grave seeing that).
      As for the Klopp leaving having an affect on the players....Well not for me....Jones, Nunez or Jota didn't score due to thinking about Klopp leaving.
      Champions are the one's who deliver under extreme pressure....and sadly we haven't been able to handle the pressure.

Leaves a very hollow feeling...You can't win the league losing at home to Crystal Palace.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #740: Apr 14, 2024 07:27:25 pm
      Nunez is not a true number 9 in way you are expecting - he isnā€™t Haaland

And he certainly shouldnā€™t be added to the likes of Voronin etc

The club play in more than domestic league and Iā€™m not sure why goals or assists in other competitions should be ignored

We bought Nunez for all the competitions and he has shown more than enough this season

Bobby was a 9 and wasnā€™t getting 20 a season

We know that Salah is the main goal threat and Nunez along with others feed him

Itā€™s about the sum of all the parts and the front 5 have produced

And you canā€™t compare to a manager or club that can afford to just throw money at problems

Why can't I compare us with a team that is in direct competition with us? We should compare, and we should learn from them.

And why shouldn't we expect our nr 9 as good as Haaland?i want to see Liverpool to dominate English football, so off course i want us to have the best players in the world.

You have remember that before shitty splashed money on Haaland. He went to Dortmund from Molde for not a huge amount.

We tried Nunez and so far it didn't work. Let's move on to next big thing. Doesn't mean 80m again.

I know you aren't stupid comparing bobby with Nunez. Bobby wasn't even nr 9, even tho he wore 9 short. Bobby had so much in his game. Mane and mo will swear to that.

From the day we signed Nunez, I said good luck lad but i don't see why we signed him. You have to remember I find no joy in saying things like this. It's just that i want to see Liverpool success more the Darwin succeed.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,072 posts | 3438 
      Reply #741: Apr 14, 2024 07:32:21 pm
      Why can't I compare us with a team that is in direct competition with us? We should compare, and we should learn from them.

And why shouldn't we expect our nr 9 as good as Haaland?i want to see Liverpool to dominate English football, so off course o want us to have the best players in the world.

You have remember that before shitty splashed money on Haaland. He went to Dortmund from Molde.

We tried Nunez and so far it didn't work. Let's move on to next big thing. Doesn't mean 80m again.

I know you aren't stupid bobby with Nunez. Bobby wasn't even nr 9, even tho he wore 9 short. Bobby had so much in his game. Mane and mo will swear to that.

From the day we signed Nunez, I said good luck lad but i don't see why we signed him. You have to remember I find no joy in saying things like this. It's just that i want to see Liverpool success more the Darwin succeed.

Nunez is not a number 9 in the sense you believe he is , itā€™s why they float across the front 3

And Nunez has a lot more to his name than goals - hence why the partnership he was starting to form with Mo

Sum of all parts -

Believe we are one of the highest scoring teams across Europe - yet you are concentrating on one player

Would it make a difference if it was Nunez on 18 goals and Mo on 11 ?

But will add that he does need to improve
      « Last Edit: Apr 14, 2024 07:37:23 pm by Lallana in Pyjamas »
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #742: Apr 14, 2024 07:38:15 pm
      Nunez is not a number 9 in the sense you believe he is , itā€™s why they float across the front 3

And Nunez has a lot more to his name than goals - hence why the partnership he was starting to form with Mo

Sum of all parts -

Believe we are one of the highest scoring teams across Europe - yet you are concentrating on one player

Would it make a difference if it was Nunez on 18 goals and Mo on 11 ?

Mate I wholeheartedly disagree with you. I know you are diehard Liverpool fan.

All I am saying it always can get better. I know we are good, but we can get always be better. Our bad luck is that we are up against cheating shitty.

Again I disagree but I think we should leave it here. Il argue with you in next live match thread 😂
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,072 posts | 3438 
      Reply #743: Apr 14, 2024 07:49:39 pm
      Mate I wholeheartedly disagree with you. I know you are diehard Liverpool fan.

All I am saying it always can get better. I know we are good, but we can get always be better. Our bad luck is that we are up against cheating shitty.

Again I disagree but I think we should leave it here. Il argue with you in next live match thread 😂

I can understand peoples issues and frustrations with him and he does need to improve his finishing which a new manager could do

He does need to sit on the bench this week though
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,552 posts | 1668 
      • YNWA
      Reply #744: Apr 14, 2024 08:02:49 pm

And why shouldn't we expect our nr 9 as good as Haaland?i want to see Liverpool to dominate English football, so off course i want us to have the best players in the world.

You have remember that before shitty splashed money on Haaland. He went to Dortmund from Molde for not a huge amount.

I know you aren't stupid comparing bobby with Nunez. Bobby wasn't even nr 9, even tho he wore 9 short. Bobby had so much in his game. Mane and mo will swear to that.

Bobby was a great player, super control, great vision, passing, link up.  Not a goalscorer per se, though got a fair few.
      Nunez is quick and gives his all - but when missing chances, he doesn't have the other things Bob had. When his passing and decision making are also poor, which they have been a lot, need to then decide if that is enough. I like him a lot, and he was potential, but you don't win games with potential.
      Also don't think he should be playing through the middle, think he's better in off the left.
      But completely agree though, when looking at any player, we have to be ruthless, because if you want to win against the teams we're up against at home and in Europe, giving someone another season might not be the best idea, but again, that depends on who is available, who else is leaving etc.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 850 posts | 166 
      Reply #745: Apr 14, 2024 08:03:42 pm
      Nunez comes off and we miss 4 big chances.

Yet we have a whole page of discussion dedicated to him, honestly this fan base was better when we had nothing to fight for and no hope which to fight with. There was never this much hissy fits and tantrums being thrown when we were rocking in 7th with Borini Markovic and Balotelli or winning nothing with Baros Heskey and Kewell.....that's before we even get to the rest of the teams we had back then.

The success we had during covid has really messed with peoples heads and brought out the worst in them, a fan base that strives to be one of a kind, the most passionnate and supportive. Sad to see.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,072 posts | 3438 
      Reply #746: Apr 14, 2024 08:10:09 pm
      Nunez comes off and we miss 4 big chances.

Yet we have a whole page of discussion dedicated to him, honestly this fan base was better when we had nothing to fight for and no hope which to fight with. There was never this much hissy fits and tantrums being thrown when we were rocking in 7th with Borini Markovic and Balotelli or winning nothing with Baros Heskey and Kewell.....that's before we even get to the rest of the teams we had back then.

The success we had during covid has really messed with peoples heads and brought out the worst in them, a fan base that strives to be one of a kind, the most passionnate and supportive. Sad to see.

Think maybe you need to read some of your own posts 🙄
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 850 posts | 166 
      Reply #747: Apr 14, 2024 08:14:56 pm
      Think maybe you need to read some of your own posts 🙄

My posts are balanced and reasonable and tend to focus more on the team than using up all my energy to bash around 1 player as I feel that's the best way to analyse performances and it gives us more of an opportunity to see the points where we went wrong and during what periods.

I actually agree with most of your views on the guy anyway so I don't see why you're trying to create a problem that isn't there?
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts | 299 
      Reply #748: Apr 14, 2024 08:19:24 pm
      I don't agree with all the criticism of Nunez. He's not converting enough of his chances but we can say that about lots of the players unfortunately.

I don't think he should be sold but hopefully next season Jota will be able to play more games and there will be less pressure on Nunez.

I think that the main area of concern this season is defence, we are conceding early goals and sloppy goals in to many matches. We are losing Matip and definitely need at least 1 top quality CB and a DM to add to the squad.
      « Last Edit: Apr 14, 2024 08:25:23 pm by gazred »
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,755 posts | 863 
      Reply #749: Apr 14, 2024 08:21:10 pm
      This is what happens when your team just isn't equipped to win a league tittle, mentally or technically speaking. I'm essentially going to repeat some of the things I said after the game against United. Those things were true before, during and after that game.

Last season, we faced a glaring issue that was evident to everyone, week in and week out: conceding goals within the first 20 minutes in a staggering 80% of our matches, leaving us to play catch-up for the remainder. Despite playing 38 games without a remedy, we find ourselves in the same predicament this season, with no signs of improvement. It's ironic that this year, our ability to salvage a couple of goals masks the underlying problem. However, this pattern is not surprising. As we reach the months of March, April, and May, opposing teams adopt a highly pragmatic approach, fueled by various motives such as avoiding relegation or securing European berths. Consequently, what could have been a manageable 1-0 victory turns into an insurmountable challenge. It's disheartening to see a team aspiring to compete for the toughest league title in Europe consistently starting each game with a deficit, rendering them a mockery in the eyes of their rivals. Make no mistake, this is what this team is, a joke.

Don't feed me that 'If you don't support us when we lose, don't support us when we're winning' nonsense. This team, in its current form, is nothing but a joke. You can't claim to be serious contenders for any significant title or competition when you consistently concede goals within the first 20 minutes, whether playing at home or away, and regardless of who you're facing (tittle contender, mid table, relegation candidates, etc.)  for two consecutive years. It's unacceptable. This right there is, first and foremost, a mentality issue and furthermore, it is indicative of a problem to fix within this squad, one way or another.

The other issue boils down to one thing: goals. In my book, Jota and Salah are the only forwards I see as indispensable. While the rest of the frontline boasts talent, they fall short of the caliber needed to clinch titles in such a competitive league. When up against a club like City, whose players possess immense individual quality, you know someone will produce a moment of brilliance and net a couple of goals. Relying on a forward like Nunez as your primary striker doesn't align with the ambition of a team vying for the league title. Spare me the empty rhetoric about Nunez potentially becoming a 'world beater' with improved finishing. Frankly, I couldn't care less about such speculation; what matters is performance on the pitch. We've endured two seasons of hearing this hopeful mantra, yet Nunez's failure to convert clear-cut chances, with about 15 missed opportunities in the past three games alone, speaks volumes. If you believe he'll suddenly transform into prime Luis Suarez, that's your prerogative, but don't expect those of us with a clear view to buy into such wishful thinking.

The same critique applies to Diaz, albeit to a lesser extent, as he fits the mold of a traditional winger who excels in one-on-one situations, cutting inside, and taking shots from the edge of the box. He delivers what was expected of him, unlike Mane, whose playing style differs significantly. Does this make Diaz inadequate? Not necessarily. However, should he be our primary left winger? Certainly not, especially if we intend to maintain our trademark gegenpressing style honed over the past decade. To succeed in this system, we require two wingers who can consistently find the back of the net, along with a highly creative false nine or a number nine capable of scoring. In my view, depending on the preferences of the next coach, I'm inclined to entertain the idea of selling Diaz to Paris for a handsome sum, giving Jota to the starting left wing position, and reinvesting the funds in securing a goal-scoring forward.

The gap in the number 6 position also demands attention. While I'm grateful to Endo for his contributions, the reality remains: if you aspire to be a top-tier club, contending for titles, then a world-class number 6 is non-negotiable. Look around at the top clubs in Europe; it's no coincidence that they all boast a world-class player in that pivotal role, or some variation thereof, whether through different midfield formations designed to shore up the defensive line. It's a fundamental piece in the puzzle of success at the highest level.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,292 posts | 1403 
      Reply #750: Apr 14, 2024 08:24:05 pm
      That was Endo's worse game. He was ball watching for the goal and misplaced passes a good few times. But again it was our poor finishing that cost us. Do we panic, snatch at the chances, lack confidence, coordination or what. Since we biffed 6 past Sparta Prague we've missed numerous chances.

Scored 10...conceded 12....could've easily scored 20.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,072 posts | 3438 
      Reply #751: Apr 14, 2024 08:36:48 pm
      My posts are balanced and reasonable and tend to focus more on the team than using up all my energy to bash around 1 player as I feel that's the best way to analyse performances and it gives us more of an opportunity to see the points where we went wrong and during what periods.

I actually agree with most of your views on the guy anyway so I don't see why you're trying to create a problem that isn't there?

🤔

This about Mo

Get him gone now.

That's if he can find a way out of Mitchell's pocket.

Every legend has his day. Happened with Stevie, Kenny, Suey, Barnesy, Fowi....you name him. Cash in now while we can before we make the same mistakes we did before and fall into a slump.

Orrrrr maybe we go back to having a front 3 of Heskey Baros and Kewell or Carroll Bellamy and Kuyt....maybe then we'll see less of the ugly side of fans. Having to only battle for top 4 every season while being out of every cup before Christmas, people fans need to understand you can't always be spoilt.

That's all well and good but he's still receiving a 350k pay check every week and until such time he isn't and he's being selected by the manager....he needs to F***ing perform like one of the leading figures he's developed into.

He's missed far too many chances the last 3 games and played below par in every one of them.

Yeah you are balanced and focus on the team 🙄
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,072 posts | 3438 
      Reply #752: Apr 14, 2024 08:38:12 pm
      I don't agree with all the criticism of Nunez. He's not converting enough of his chances but we can say that about lots of the players unfortunately.

I don't think he should be sold but hopefully next season Jota will be able to play more games and there will be less pressure on Nunez.

I think that the main area of concern this season is defence, we are conceding early goals and sloppy goals in to many matches. We are losing Matip and definitely need at least 1 top quality CB and a DM to add to the squad.

Endo has played well but he looks like he is feeling the pace at the moment - certainly a priority this summer
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 850 posts | 166 
      Reply #753: Apr 14, 2024 08:41:12 pm
      🤔

This about Mo

Yeah you are balanced and focus on the team 🙄

& I've said similiar of a number of players when we've played poorly. The whole midfield trio were diabolical today, Diaz and Nunez couldn't ever get into the game. I'm not gonna say to move them all on as that would be unreasonable....with Mo the opportunity could be there to gain the type of money that we could use to enhance the team.

I've also said the team has overrun it's course and all the injuries, Klopp overplaying a few unnecessarily, bad officiating and poor first halves would catch up to us but of course you won't quote those posts to balance the argument.
      « Last Edit: Apr 14, 2024 08:48:05 pm by The-AllMightyReds »
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,072 posts | 3438 
      Reply #754: Apr 14, 2024 08:52:10 pm
      At this stage last season we were

8th - 52 points , lost 9 games in the league

Bounced out of CL

Out of both domestic cups

15 points behind CL places

Right now we are

3rd on GD with 71 points

Lost 3 in the league

2 behind the leaders

1 trophy in the bag with still potentially 2 more

Thatā€™s actually a staggering improvement considering the level of changes in the team

Maybe itā€™s time to take a step back a little and actually be proud of the progress made

And yet someone calls the team a joke ?! And other - bottlers

tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,250 posts | 923 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #755: Apr 14, 2024 09:09:10 pm
      Itā€™s weird how the front three look so disjointed, we look like we have never played together. Diaz wants to take on the world, Salah looks like he canā€™t be arsed, while Nunez looks devoid of all confidence, part is down to service, but we seem no to be moving wich was one of our pluses, for weeks we have letting early goal in but have always managed to score more goals than we concede but even that has stopped as of late. Had we won today it we would have been in our hands. Sad times
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,250 posts | 923 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #756: Apr 14, 2024 09:11:02 pm

Scored 10...conceded 12....could've easily scored 20.

They way we have been at the back we could have concede 20
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #757: Apr 14, 2024 09:53:18 pm
      Re Nunez - I like him. But heā€™s an 80mill striker and price tags like that have expectations and pressure. Not just for him. The club now HAVE to give him a proper go at it but it means we are perhaps not getting someone else in that could be better.

For me, I like him but the reality is he will never be our star man. Iā€™d keep him next season but only because I think Salah will be gone which will raise funds for the new manager anyway.

On the game. sh*te. Weā€™ve gone off the boil at the worst moment but I donā€™t agree with the ā€˜lazyā€™ or ā€˜disinterestedā€™ shouts. You donā€™t get this deep in a title challenge through not caring.

But we keep conceding and have all season, that catches up eventually and thereā€™s a reason the prem is so hard to win. The intensity eventually exposes flaws in your set up. Weā€™re being exposed right now but arsenal losing means weā€™re still right in the mix.

Now itā€™s just about battling and fighting for the rest of the league games and one thing these players have shown again and again is an ability to go above what we should reasonably expect on paper and form etc. not sure we will do it but I donā€™t think we will be throwing in the towel either

And F**k Atlanta too
      DanMann

• 5,761 posts | 886 
      Reply #758: Apr 14, 2024 10:13:29 pm
      Nunez definitely not the worst on the pitch or up front. Salah was a bigger waste of space than him.

Jones was probably the worst player on the pitch and continues to steal a living through his birth certificate.

We have so much to improve and so many players to replace.

Quick Reply