Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the match v Crystal Palace

Allison Becker
      10 (18.2%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      30 (54.5%)
      Ibrahima Konate
      0 (0%)
      Conor Bradley
      1 (1.8%)
      Wataru Endo
      0 (0%)
      Alexis Mac Allister
      1 (1.8%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)
      Mo Salah
      0 (0%)
      Darwin Nunez
      3 (5.5%)
      Luis Diaz
      2 (3.6%)
      Cody Gakpo
      6 (10.9%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      1 (1.8%)
      Diogo Jota
      1 (1.8%)
      Dominic Szoboszlai
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Voting closed: Apr 17, 2024 04:03:40 pm

Liverpool 0-1 Crystal Palace: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 8669 times
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 850 posts | 166 
      Re: Liverpool 0-1 Crystal Palace: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #759: Apr 14, 2024 10:16:38 pm
      Nunez definitely not the worst on the pitch or up front. Salah was a bigger waste of space than him.

Jones was probably the worst player on the pitch and continues to steal a living through his birth certificate.

We have so much to improve and so many players to replace.

Agree word for word.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts | 299 
      Reply #760: Apr 14, 2024 10:50:25 pm
      Nunez definitely not the worst on the pitch or up front. Salah was a bigger waste of space than him.

Jones was probably the worst player on the pitch and continues to steal a living through his birth certificate.

We have so much to improve and so many players to replace.

Jones is just coming back from an injury and getting back to match fitness. He's a very good player IMO but unfortunately appears to need to be fully fit and playing very regularly to be at a high level.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,319 posts | 775 
      Reply #761: Apr 14, 2024 11:01:55 pm
      This is what happens when your team just isn't equipped to win a league tittle, mentally or technically speaking. I'm essentially going to repeat some of the things I said after the game against United. Those things were true before, during and after that game.

Last season, we faced a glaring issue that was evident to everyone, week in and week out: conceding goals within the first 20 minutes in a staggering 80% of our matches, leaving us to play catch-up for the remainder. Despite playing 38 games without a remedy, we find ourselves in the same predicament this season, with no signs of improvement. It's ironic that this year, our ability to salvage a couple of goals masks the underlying problem. However, this pattern is not surprising. As we reach the months of March, April, and May, opposing teams adopt a highly pragmatic approach, fueled by various motives such as avoiding relegation or securing European berths. Consequently, what could have been a manageable 1-0 victory turns into an insurmountable challenge. It's disheartening to see a team aspiring to compete for the toughest league title in Europe consistently starting each game with a deficit, rendering them a mockery in the eyes of their rivals. Make no mistake, this is what this team is, a joke.

Don't feed me that 'If you don't support us when we lose, don't support us when we're winning' nonsense. This team, in its current form, is nothing but a joke. You can't claim to be serious contenders for any significant title or competition when you consistently concede goals within the first 20 minutes, whether playing at home or away, and regardless of who you're facing (tittle contender, mid table, relegation candidates, etc.)  for two consecutive years. It's unacceptable. This right there is, first and foremost, a mentality issue and furthermore, it is indicative of a problem to fix within this squad, one way or another.

The other issue boils down to one thing: goals. In my book, Jota and Salah are the only forwards I see as indispensable. While the rest of the frontline boasts talent, they fall short of the caliber needed to clinch titles in such a competitive league. When up against a club like City, whose players possess immense individual quality, you know someone will produce a moment of brilliance and net a couple of goals. Relying on a forward like Nunez as your primary striker doesn't align with the ambition of a team vying for the league title. Spare me the empty rhetoric about Nunez potentially becoming a 'world beater' with improved finishing. Frankly, I couldn't care less about such speculation; what matters is performance on the pitch. We've endured two seasons of hearing this hopeful mantra, yet Nunez's failure to convert clear-cut chances, with about 15 missed opportunities in the past three games alone, speaks volumes. If you believe he'll suddenly transform into prime Luis Suarez, that's your prerogative, but don't expect those of us with a clear view to buy into such wishful thinking.

The same critique applies to Diaz, albeit to a lesser extent, as he fits the mold of a traditional winger who excels in one-on-one situations, cutting inside, and taking shots from the edge of the box. He delivers what was expected of him, unlike Mane, whose playing style differs significantly. Does this make Diaz inadequate? Not necessarily. However, should he be our primary left winger? Certainly not, especially if we intend to maintain our trademark gegenpressing style honed over the past decade. To succeed in this system, we require two wingers who can consistently find the back of the net, along with a highly creative false nine or a number nine capable of scoring. In my view, depending on the preferences of the next coach, I'm inclined to entertain the idea of selling Diaz to Paris for a handsome sum, giving Jota to the starting left wing position, and reinvesting the funds in securing a goal-scoring forward.

The gap in the number 6 position also demands attention. While I'm grateful to Endo for his contributions, the reality remains: if you aspire to be a top-tier club, contending for titles, then a world-class number 6 is non-negotiable. Look around at the top clubs in Europe; it's no coincidence that they all boast a world-class player in that pivotal role, or some variation thereof, whether through different midfield formations designed to shore up the defensive line. It's a fundamental piece in the puzzle of success at the highest level.
      I think this is your third post this last week that sums up the club/team at this time.  Our league position gives the impression of a Great Leap Forward, but this is a tad illusory. In certain areas we've made gains, for example no one would argue that Mac Alister hasn't improved the midfield, but these gains are fractions...Szoboszlai for the first 5/6 months looked for all the world a superstar...Connor Bradley has shown great maturity and talent, but for all this promise we are essentially no further forward. There are players who have been here a while who just haven't kicked on...Jones...Elliott stand out to me. So how did we mount a title challenge?...I really don't know...a combination of factors: Great determination not to lose....luck........but we've had to work so hard for those points...harder than our competitors have had to work, to make up for an unbalanced and slightly overrated squad....and the players deserve great credit for that effort. This is the point; we are working too hard chasing games, always trying to force it, we're hardly ever in an extended comfort zone...it's always a battle. Yet hard work will only get you so far, you need to back it up with talent, and to get to the very top that talent has to be top drawer...consistently hitting your targets, working to a structured plan. Are our players top drawer...Is our number 9 the very best we could have?...really. The real question is can these players make progress and get better. The enormous effort to get us challenging at the top of the league looks unsustainable, we don't yet have the personnel to push on...just look how easy City make it look....we are very much a team still in transition. This season may well bring in more glory...that would be lovely
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,293 posts | 1664 
      Reply #762: Apr 14, 2024 11:31:18 pm
      This is what happens when your team just isn't equipped to win a league tittle, mentally or technically speaking. I'm essentially going to repeat some of the things I said after the game against United. Those things were true before, during and after that game.

Last season, we faced a glaring issue that was evident to everyone, week in and week out: conceding goals within the first 20 minutes in a staggering 80% of our matches, leaving us to play catch-up for the remainder. Despite playing 38 games without a remedy, we find ourselves in the same predicament this season, with no signs of improvement. It's ironic that this year, our ability to salvage a couple of goals masks the underlying problem. However, this pattern is not surprising. As we reach the months of March, April, and May, opposing teams adopt a highly pragmatic approach, fueled by various motives such as avoiding relegation or securing European berths. Consequently, what could have been a manageable 1-0 victory turns into an insurmountable challenge. It's disheartening to see a team aspiring to compete for the toughest league title in Europe consistently starting each game with a deficit, rendering them a mockery in the eyes of their rivals. Make no mistake, this is what this team is, a joke.

Don't feed me that 'If you don't support us when we lose, don't support us when we're winning' nonsense. This team, in its current form, is nothing but a joke. You can't claim to be serious contenders for any significant title or competition when you consistently concede goals within the first 20 minutes, whether playing at home or away, and regardless of who you're facing (tittle contender, mid table, relegation candidates, etc.)  for two consecutive years. It's unacceptable. This right there is, first and foremost, a mentality issue and furthermore, it is indicative of a problem to fix within this squad, one way or another.

The other issue boils down to one thing: goals. In my book, Jota and Salah are the only forwards I see as indispensable. While the rest of the frontline boasts talent, they fall short of the caliber needed to clinch titles in such a competitive league. When up against a club like City, whose players possess immense individual quality, you know someone will produce a moment of brilliance and net a couple of goals. Relying on a forward like Nunez as your primary striker doesn't align with the ambition of a team vying for the league title. Spare me the empty rhetoric about Nunez potentially becoming a 'world beater' with improved finishing. Frankly, I couldn't care less about such speculation; what matters is performance on the pitch. We've endured two seasons of hearing this hopeful mantra, yet Nunez's failure to convert clear-cut chances, with about 15 missed opportunities in the past three games alone, speaks volumes. If you believe he'll suddenly transform into prime Luis Suarez, that's your prerogative, but don't expect those of us with a clear view to buy into such wishful thinking.

The same critique applies to Diaz, albeit to a lesser extent, as he fits the mold of a traditional winger who excels in one-on-one situations, cutting inside, and taking shots from the edge of the box. He delivers what was expected of him, unlike Mane, whose playing style differs significantly. Does this make Diaz inadequate? Not necessarily. However, should he be our primary left winger? Certainly not, especially if we intend to maintain our trademark gegenpressing style honed over the past decade. To succeed in this system, we require two wingers who can consistently find the back of the net, along with a highly creative false nine or a number nine capable of scoring. In my view, depending on the preferences of the next coach, I'm inclined to entertain the idea of selling Diaz to Paris for a handsome sum, giving Jota to the starting left wing position, and reinvesting the funds in securing a goal-scoring forward.

The gap in the number 6 position also demands attention. While I'm grateful to Endo for his contributions, the reality remains: if you aspire to be a top-tier club, contending for titles, then a world-class number 6 is non-negotiable. Look around at the top clubs in Europe; it's no coincidence that they all boast a world-class player in that pivotal role, or some variation thereof, whether through different midfield formations designed to shore up the defensive line. It's a fundamental piece in the puzzle of success at the highest level.

15 chances in 3 games ? Really ?
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,029 posts | 531 
      Reply #763: Apr 14, 2024 11:37:29 pm

Where are you getting that stat that we conceded in the first 20 minutes in 80% of our games last season? We conceded far too many early goals but I'm pretty sure it wasn't in 80% of our games.

And without accurate stats there's no way of evaluating your claim that they haven't improved at all this season compared to last. (I'm pretty sure it has improved this season. Just not enough.)
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,319 posts | 775 
      Reply #764: Apr 14, 2024 11:49:59 pm
      Where are you getting that stat that we conceded in the first 20 minutes in 80% of our games last season? We conceded far too many early goals but I'm pretty sure it wasn't in 80% of our games.

And without accurate stats there's no way of evaluating your claim that they haven't improved at all this season compared to last. (I'm pretty sure it has improved this season. Just not enough.)
      The league position tells us there's been an improvement; what it doesn't show is the reason's for it. Is it we've got better players?....Is it we've worked harder?....Is it some of our usual competitors unable to make a challenge?...most likely a bit of all three. If you factor in the injuries.it's been a massive effort to be in the running at all....but as I said earlier no team can sustain that degree of effort....the sheer amount of physical stamina needed to create the chances we miss is off the charts.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,029 posts | 531 
      Reply #765: Apr 14, 2024 11:58:46 pm
      The league position tells us there's been an improvement; what it doesn't show is the reason's for it. Is it we've got better players?....Is it we've worked harder?....Is it some of our usual competitors unable to make a challenge?...most likely a bit of all three. If you factor in the injuries.it's been a massive effort to be in the running at all....but as I said earlier no team can sustain that degree of effort....the sheer amount of physical stamina needed to create the chances we miss is off the charts.

The league position tells us that we've improved overall. It doesn't tell us whether we've improved on the specific cited problem of conceding early goals.

To know that we need accurate stats. And I'm pretty sure the stats in PolarBear's post are a long way from accurate.
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,817 posts | 471 
      Reply #766: Apr 15, 2024 12:05:20 am
      Reds, any word on Bradley?
      « Last Edit: Apr 15, 2024 12:11:38 am by glennusmc »
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,755 posts | 863 
      Reply #767: Apr 15, 2024 02:04:40 am
      15 chances in 3 games ? Really ?

To address your questions regarding the stats: I'm referring to what could be termed as 'eyeball stats' or a subjective assessment. These are not official statistics sourced from anywhere. The crux of the matter is straightforward: conceding a goal early in the game and subsequently needing to play catch-up has posed a significant issue for two consecutive seasons now (in their entirety).

Has there been improvement? One could argue there has been some progress since last season, where we were contending for a Europa League spot. However, the real question arises: was the entire season focused solely on surpassing the previous one? Or was it about mounting a title challenge, which seems to be unraveling swiftly, as familiar issues persist and a noticeable lack of quality persists in key positions?

If anyone's idea of a title-contending team involves frequent comebacks, a lack of control in most matches, and a constant need for extraordinary efforts from players while rivals secure easy wins, then perhaps there's no issue. But if we aspire to more than the perpetual narrative of 'oh, we nearly made it, the lads gave it their all, but that pesky City side is just too rich,' then it's clear we're stuck in a cycle. When looking at the bigger picture, I fail to see any significant improvement compared to three or four years ago; if anything, it seems we've regressed. Unless substantial changes occur, we'll likely find ourselves having the same conversation next season.

EDIT:

If you're looking for an official stat regarding the number of times we concede a goal in the opening minutes, here's one: Today's game sees us conceding for the 12th time in the league within the first 15 minutes. That's approximately 40% of our league games where we find ourselves 1-0 down within the opening quarter-hour. I'm uncertain about the statistic for 20 minutes, nor do I have information about our performance in other competitions.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,072 posts | 3438 
      Reply #768: Apr 15, 2024 07:02:16 am
      We are challenging for the title , we have been challenging for the title all season long

We are two points behind the leader with 7 games to go , that’s called a title challenge

What else would you call it

rossyred

• 9,293 posts | 1664 
      Reply #769: Apr 15, 2024 07:28:18 am
      To address your questions regarding the stats: I'm referring to what could be termed as 'eyeball stats' or a subjective assessment. These are not official statistics sourced from anywhere. The crux of the matter is straightforward: conceding a goal early in the game and subsequently needing to play catch-up has posed a significant issue for two consecutive seasons now (in their entirety).

Has there been improvement? One could argue there has been some progress since last season, where we were contending for a Europa League spot. However, the real question arises: was the entire season focused solely on surpassing the previous one? Or was it about mounting a title challenge, which seems to be unraveling swiftly, as familiar issues persist and a noticeable lack of quality persists in key positions?

If anyone's idea of a title-contending team involves frequent comebacks, a lack of control in most matches, and a constant need for extraordinary efforts from players while rivals secure easy wins, then perhaps there's no issue. But if we aspire to more than the perpetual narrative of 'oh, we nearly made it, the lads gave it their all, but that pesky City side is just too rich,' then it's clear we're stuck in a cycle. When looking at the bigger picture, I fail to see any significant improvement compared to three or four years ago; if anything, it seems we've regressed. Unless substantial changes occur, we'll likely find ourselves having the same conversation next season.

EDIT:

If you're looking for an official stat regarding the number of times we concede a goal in the opening minutes, here's one: Today's game sees us conceding for the 12th time in the league within the first 15 minutes. That's approximately 40% of our league games where we find ourselves 1-0 down within the opening quarter-hour. I'm uncertain about the statistic for 20 minutes, nor do I have information about our performance in other competitions.

So are eyeball stats a polite way of saying Bullshit ?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #770: Apr 15, 2024 07:35:09 am
      I think this is your third post this last week that sums up the club/team at this time.  Our league position gives the impression of a Great Leap Forward, but this is a tad illusory. In certain areas we've made gains, for example no one would argue that Mac Alister hasn't improved the midfield, but these gains are fractions...Szoboszlai for the first 5/6 months looked for all the world a superstar...Connor Bradley has shown great maturity and talent, but for all this promise we are essentially no further forward. There are players who have been here a while who just haven't kicked on...Jones...Elliott stand out to me. So how did we mount a title challenge?...I really don't know...a combination of factors: Great determination not to lose....luck........but we've had to work so hard for those points...harder than our competitors have had to work, to make up for an unbalanced and slightly overrated squad....and the players deserve great credit for that effort. This is the point; we are working too hard chasing games, always trying to force it, we're hardly ever in an extended comfort zone...it's always a battle. Yet hard work will only get you so far, you need to back it up with talent, and to get to the very top that talent has to be top drawer...consistently hitting your targets, working to a structured plan. Are our players top drawer...Is our number 9 the very best we could have?...really. The real question is can these players make progress and get better. The enormous effort to get us challenging at the top of the league looks unsustainable, we don't yet have the personnel to push on...just look how easy City make it look....we are very much a team still in transition. This season may well bring in more glory...that would be lovely

Great post.

Yea wereta team that has over achieved in ways this season and although it was great to see the lads grind out wins or pull wins from what looked like defeats the signs have been there all season that were still a squad moving towards a title challenging one rather than actually being one.

Our mentality and then circumstances have allowed us to be where we are but now even if we win all our games relying on City to drop points is a big ask.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,250 posts | 923 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #771: Apr 15, 2024 08:04:33 am
      We have improved from last season but its the disapointment that kills you
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,024 posts | 2718 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #772: Apr 15, 2024 08:43:45 am
      We are challenging for the title , we have been challenging for the title all season long

We are two points behind the leader with 7 games to go , that’s called a title challenge

What else would you call it

Thought you were getting relegated by some post. 🤦‍♂️ So many knee jerk reactions it’s unbelievable. I still think with 7 games to go points will be dropped, it’s just a question who drops the least..
      « Last Edit: Apr 15, 2024 11:11:49 am by Keith Singleton »
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,029 posts | 531 
      Reply #773: Apr 15, 2024 09:00:37 am

EDIT:

Eyeball stats! ;D

So not stats at all, just you making stats up. And then describing them as "staggering".
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #774: Apr 15, 2024 09:46:10 am
      Watching the highlights again and Palace goal was a real nice move.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,849 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #775: Apr 15, 2024 10:32:27 am
      The Palace goal was very similar to the one from Atalanta ,teams have worked out that our defence is poor, and also continue to press down our right side and  get success .Our midfield yet again looked like that had never seen each other and was a shambles ,maybe they are weary /worn out with all of the games and training in between ? I expect to get comments from this but I still have faith in our front line ,yes we miss chances but they are ( for the most part ) on target and a tad unlucky ,now is the time for the lads to dig in and fight that bit harder ,ynwa lads !
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 850 posts | 166 
      Reply #776: Apr 15, 2024 10:39:41 am

Sure was, credit to them for that. Not so nice of us to stand still like a bunch of statues while we watched them play through us mind.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,319 posts | 775 
      Reply #777: Apr 15, 2024 10:50:54 am
      The Palace goal was very similar to the one from Atalanta ,teams have worked out that our defence is poor, and also continue to press down our right side and  get success .Our midfield yet again looked like that had never seen each other and was a shambles ,maybe they are weary /worn out with all of the games and training in between ? I expect to get comments from this but I still have faith in our front line ,yes we miss chances but they are ( for the most part ) on target and a tad unlucky ,now is the time for the lads to dig in and fight that bit harder ,ynwa lads !
      You're correct All teams miss chances....BUT...not to the degree we've seen this last month. Top players don't miss that number of easy chances. The real top strikers know what to do if the ball comes to them...they see a mental picture of what they'll do...it's what separates the greats from the also rans.
      DanMann

• 5,761 posts | 886 
      Reply #778: Apr 15, 2024 10:53:36 am

Watch Konate  :mad: :mad:
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,922 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #779: Apr 15, 2024 10:53:41 am
      Thought you were getting relegated by some post. 🤦‍♂️ So many knee jerk reactions it’s unbelievable. I still think with 7 games to go points will be dropped, it’s just a question you drops the least..

Seeing Arsenal drop points definitely helped ease the pain but the team don't seem strong enough right now to capitalise on the others dropping said points, that is what is most worrying. No good City and Arsenal drawing or losing if we don't take our chances and get all three points.
      DanMann

• 5,761 posts | 886 
      Reply #780: Apr 15, 2024 10:59:36 am
      Thought you were getting relegated by some post. 🤦‍♂️ So many knee jerk reactions it’s unbelievable. I still think with 7 games to go points will be dropped, it’s just a question you drops the least..

Come on Keith, I know you've not been in a title challenge for many years but of course fans are rightly disappointed, angry, and fuming at our recent performances. Any fan with passion for the team would be devastated at how we have let our grip go, and seemingly all hope for both remaining trophies in one week.

It's not like we played well and conceded some fluke goal. We were appalling and never look like scoring. At the same time we look vulnerable and concede at a whim.

Utd fans would be reacting the same if they were in our position. Ignore the pretence from those who want to take the moral high ground and act like "all is well" while we burn. They just throw in random lines of 'hope' so if by a slim margin things go our way they can pretend that they predicted it and were oh so comfortable and content in their foreknowledge.

Beaten by Atalanta... Beaten by Palace... At Anfield. Failed to score a single goal. Sure... All is well indeed.  :f_doh:
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,319 posts | 775 
      Reply #781: Apr 15, 2024 11:08:22 am
      Come on Keith, I know you've not been in a title challenge for many years but of course fans are rightly disappointed, angry, and fuming at our recent performances. Any fan with passion for the team would be devastated at how we have let our grip go, and seemingly all hope for both remaining trophies in one week.

It's not like we played well and conceded some fluke goal. We were appalling and never look like scoring. At the same time we look vulnerable and concede at a whim.

Utd fans would be reacting the same if they were in our position. Ignore the pretence from those who want to take the moral high ground and act like "all is well" while we burn. They just throw in random lines of 'hope' so if by a slim margin things go our way they can pretend that they predicted it and were oh so comfortable and content in their foreknowledge.

Beaten by Atalanta... Beaten by Palace... At Anfield. Failed to score a single goal. Sure... All is well indeed.  :f_doh:
      No one would have been more shocked at yesterdays result than the Crystal Palace players, manager and supporters...Did I read it was their fourth win in 20?...and their managers only second win?

Quick Reply