Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Atalanta?

Alisson Becker
      5 (11.6%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      14 (32.6%)
      Ibrahima Konaté
      3 (7%)
      Andy Robertson
      3 (7%)
      Dominik Szoboszlai
      0 (0%)
      Alexis Mac Allister
      5 (11.6%)
      Curtis Jones
      1 (2.3%)
      Cody Gakpo
      6 (14%)
      Luis Diaz
      0 (0%)
      Mohamed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Darwin Núñez
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      0 (0%)
      Diogo Jota
      0 (0%)
      Jayden Danns
      6 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Voting closed: Apr 22, 2024 09:54:34 pm

Atalata 0-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 4260 times
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 870 posts | 170 
      Re: Live: Atalanta V Liverpool
      Reply #552: Apr 18, 2024 10:39:16 pm
      Youse lot would have taken this season at the start of the season. I'm not sure what all the crying is about.

We would, but we can still be disappointed with how the last few months have gone. All the talk was how big a send off we could deliver for Klopp, so it's a crying shame to end it like this.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,004 posts | 223 
      Re: Atalata 0-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #553: Apr 18, 2024 10:39:57 pm
      2nd half did my head in, ok Atlanta changed their tactics, but oh boy playing the ball at the back did me in when we had to score
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,336 posts | 779 
      Reply #554: Apr 18, 2024 10:40:25 pm
      Let's have it right: We are by far the biggest club in the Europa League this season and we should have won it...easily.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,658 posts | 1592 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #555: Apr 18, 2024 10:41:16 pm
      This was always going to be a massive uphill battle after the disastrous result in the first leg and that I'm afraid is were we lost it  >:(

If this had been at Anfield instead tonight, I might have believed, Barca all over again, but these were far too well organised and diligent.

Just too much to overturn, although I had a feeling we could do something after such an early goal, nut alas it wasn't to be.

Feel for Jürgen so much but now we have to 100% concentrate on the league, just like the arse and citeh will be  :(
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,336 posts | 779 
      Reply #556: Apr 18, 2024 10:42:19 pm
      The tie was over the second the ball came off Salah's shin.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,296 posts | 1666 
      Reply #557: Apr 18, 2024 10:43:02 pm
      Our keeper had the second most touches of any player let that sink in
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,591 posts | 741 
      Reply #558: Apr 18, 2024 10:47:18 pm
      Sorry but take Jürgen out of the equation for a minute

Are we saying its acceptable what we have got from the players the last few games because Jurgens on empty?

YES. i am saying 3 league defeats (should really be 2 if it wasn't for VAR) in a season is absolutely acceptable. In the grand scheme of things, injuries and where we were last season included, its perfectly acceptable to have a few bad performances in a season.

We majorly fu**ed up in the home game against them. But this season has been great.

If you choose to view this season as the Jürgen send off season and change expectations that we never had at the start, then by all means, throw your toys out the pram.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,033 posts | 534 
      Reply #559: Apr 18, 2024 10:48:27 pm
      The tie was over the second the ball came off Salah's shin.

It wasn't though. If we score a second goal any time in the second half they would have started shitting themselves and it would have been game on. But we didn't show enough quality, urgency or nous in that second to even create a decent chance.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,591 posts | 741 
      Reply #560: Apr 18, 2024 10:49:04 pm

We would, but we can still be disappointed with how the last few months have gone. All the talk was how big a send off we could deliver for Klopp, so it's a crying shame to end it like this.

Being disappointed is fine, but some ppl are going OOT in there
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 870 posts | 170 
      Reply #561: Apr 18, 2024 10:50:32 pm
      Being disappointed is fine, but some ppl are going OOT in there

So let them. They'll calm down after a good nights sleep.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,033 posts | 534 
      Reply #562: Apr 18, 2024 10:54:23 pm
      YES. i am saying 3 league defeats (should really be 2 if it wasn't for VAR) in a season is absolutely acceptable. In the grand scheme of things, injuries and where we were last season included, its perfectly acceptable to have a few bad performances in a season.

We majorly fu**ed up in the home game against them. But this season has been great.

If you choose to view this season as the Jürgen send off season and change expectations that we never had at the start, then by all means, throw your toys out the pram.

The season overall has been good. In the league, we have done particularly well. People are overreacting a bit cos of several disappointing results on the bounce but, in reality, in the league it is only the Palace game that was actually poor. The 2 performances against Atalanta have been poor though. So that is 3 bad games in a row, which obviously is a bit concerning.

We are still in the league race though, and that is testament to a good season. But we need to pull ourselves out of this mini slump pronto if we want to stay in the race.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 870 posts | 170 
      Reply #563: Apr 18, 2024 10:55:44 pm
      Our keeper had the second most touches of any player let that sink in

Ali was our most creative player out there tonight, we should bring Kelleher back in and let Ali do his thing outfield.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,223 posts | 1222 
      Reply #564: Apr 18, 2024 10:56:37 pm
      Gutted. True the damage was done in the 1st leg but in our performance there is a malaise that's crept in very reminiscent of last season which is frankly disgraceful given the golden opportunity we had only a few weeks ago to make this a season to remember.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,185 posts | 1099 
      Reply #565: Apr 18, 2024 11:15:54 pm
      I honestly didn't see that coming. Being down I thought we'd throw caution to the wind. Looked like Arsenal under Wenger in the end of his run. Safe and with out any creative spark. Needed the mentality monsters tonight, but they didn't show.

We just look tired. Klopp more than any. Really disappointed. I know we've had a ton of injuries this season, but it's April. Everyone is tired. Use Gravenberch more. Use Danns in some of these games. Ffs stop playing CJ over Harvey. Quit playing Diaz in the starting 11. Do something different.

We aren't going to win 6 on the bounce unless we change some sh*t. I keep trying to be positive, but it's getting harder and harder.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,755 posts | 863 
      Reply #566: Apr 18, 2024 11:21:20 pm
      Curious to hear what's everyone's read on that monumental unraveling. Is it fatigue? Mentality issues? Coaching issues?

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,657 posts | 6951 
      Reply #567: Apr 18, 2024 11:26:34 pm
      Youse lot would have taken this season at the start of the season. I'm not sure what all the crying is about.

Yes, been a much much better season than last although that was a pretty low bar.  Qualifying for the CL was about the only realistic expectation most of us on here were thinking about.

The crying is probably the fact that in the space of 3 or so weeks we've gone from looking like genuine well-placed contenders for 3 trophies to a group of lads counting down the days to their summer holidays.

Curious to hear what's everyone's read on that monumental unraveling. Is it fatigue? Mentality issues? Coaching issues?

I was wondering if some players have been rushed back too quickly from injuries.  Does seem like our issues have started as our injury list has shortened.  Could be an explanation.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,336 posts | 779 
      Reply #568: Apr 18, 2024 11:33:06 pm
      It wasn't though. If we score a second goal any time in the second half they would have started shitting themselves and it would have been game on. But we didn't show enough quality, urgency or nous in that second to even create a decent chance.
      There's that word "If" again....If this, if that....your comment actually just confirms what I said.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,336 posts | 779 
      Reply #569: Apr 18, 2024 11:45:50 pm
      Your own take last week was as good a guess as any...Namely this squad, with these injuries have battled hard for months...we've scraped through with sheer grit..but that level of physicality is too much to sustain...City have more depth of talent, so when one or two of their main players are injured or out of form, a new player slots in seamlessly....we don't yet have that luxury.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,296 posts | 1403 
      Reply #570: Apr 18, 2024 11:55:59 pm
      Wasn't a great urgency about our play, I mean we competed but just got the impression, that it was accepted. Was there a lack of motivation from the bench?

Admittedly away from home, it's difficult to play the blitz type all out attack urged on by the kop scenario. The charge being levied by some is that mentally Klopp has already retired. Or has the squad just ran out of steam?
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,033 posts | 534 
      Reply #571: Apr 18, 2024 11:59:07 pm
      There's that word "If" again....If this, if that....your comment actually just confirms what I said.

It really doesn't. The fact that there is an "if" means that the result was not predetermined from the moment Salah missed his chance. If it was predetermined, there would be no "if".

I know you like a bit of philosophical pontificating, so knock yourself out on that one.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,336 posts | 779 
      Reply #572: Apr 19, 2024 12:13:36 am
      It really doesn't. The fact that there is an "if" means that the result was not predetermined from the moment Salah missed his chance. If it was predetermined, there would be no "if".

I know you like a bit of philosophical pontificating, so knock yourself out on that one.
      I said the tie was over the second Salah missed his sitter. After that the game played out without us having an effort at goal... So I am correct to state the tie was over because we didn't have another effort.... Of course It wasn't predetermined what would happen from that point on, nothing is predetermined in a football match....but what did happen is what actually in real life happened, not what might have happened "IF" things had gone differently. 

PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,755 posts | 863 
      Reply #573: Apr 19, 2024 12:55:56 am
      I was wondering if some players have been rushed back too quickly from injuries.  Does seem like our issues have started as our injury list has shortened.  Could be an explanation.
      It's not an unreasonable assumption. Personally, I believe we've made strides in certain areas compared to last season. However, our fundamental challenges persist, albeit masked by an influx of energy, luck, and advancements in other facets.

The tie encapsulated our approach to games this season. We start the game in a state of total slumber, allowing opponents to exploit our sluggishness before waking up and then we exert an incredible amount of physical and mental energy to get things back under control. As the season progressed, the consequences of this approach became increasingly evident, culminating in a critical breakdown (the rubber band broke).

With that said, I'll refrain from dwelling further on this, as I've already expressed similar sentiments in recent weeks and last week, some took offense when I said that this is a very good team, but it's by no means a tittle challenging team. While statistics may offer insight, the true measure lies in what unfolds on the pitch, in front of your eyes, not a tally of points you look at after the actual game is done. Throughout the season, we failed to demonstrate a level of performance comparable to that of City or even Arsenal. Perhaps our brightest period was in January, but after the Chelsea game (4-1), it was lights out. Our form and football quickly regressed to resemble what we had been doing from September to December and what we're doing now which is "catch up football" with no form of any control on our games, only now we stopped catching anything.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,342 posts | 6391 
      Reply #574: Apr 19, 2024 01:24:34 am
      I’ve tried to stay positive throughout this little downturn we’ve had but it sure seems like the possible storybook ending that I envisioned might happen for Klopp appears to be on its dying legs. Really gutted that this was our response. Tactically, effort wise, whatever it just wasn’t good enough. I know you can’t measure desire or heart but it sure didn’t seem like this team was prepared or cared for that matter. I still go back to this announcement of Klopp leaving. Wish we hadn’t had to make it till after the season because I feel like we are dying a slow death because they all know their time with Klopp is coming to end.

Quick Reply