Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Villa Park

Today is the 12th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W5 D2 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v West Ham?

Alisson Becker
      6 (10.5%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Jarell Quansah
      1 (1.8%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.8%)
      Andy Robertson
      20 (35.1%)
      Alexis Mac Allister
      2 (3.5%)
      Harvey Elliott
      3 (5.3%)
      Ryan Gravenberch
      8 (14%)
      Wataru Endo
      1 (1.8%)
      Luis Diaz
      9 (15.8%)
      Cody Gakpo
      2 (3.5%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Darwin NĆŗƱez
      2 (3.5%)
      Dominik Szoboszlai
      0 (0%)
      Mohamed Salah
      2 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Voting closed: May 01, 2024 02:24:59 pm

West Ham United 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 5804 times
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,517 posts | 223 
      Re: West Ham United 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #598: Apr 27, 2024 09:17:03 pm
      We dont keep clean sheets. We are poor in every aspect of our defensive play both individually and collectively.

The new manager has alot of problems to sort out. But as always , start at the back and address the obvious issues,  and go from there.

I think it only requires minor fixes

Like I said before,

1-  if we taken our chances before we concede and we do make a lot of them. That gives the whole team momentum and confidence which would help first of all

2- we play very compact but it just feels like our midfield are not good enough to control a game nor stop breaks from occurring. Itā€™s why people can see our performances are not up to scratch. At our best, we had 3 workman like players and it just feels the balance is wrong to protect the team- not sure what the answer is to this for next season

A 4-2-3-1 formation could be interesting next season but the issue is simple, that requires a proper striker which we donā€™t have

But I think it would suit our team more if we can get that striker imo as we would better protect our defence and wonā€™t be caught with 3 attackers up field

Cb, dm and striker would fix a lot of problems. Notice thatā€™s the spine of the team, our core isnā€™t strong enough
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,422 posts | 2836 
      Reply #599: Apr 27, 2024 10:04:50 pm
      With Villa two up it looks like we might need to win one of our last three (or get a draw at Villa Park) to stay ahead of them given our better goal difference. They have Brighton and Palace away and us at home to come (with a European semi final sandwiched in between)

Similarly we might need a win to hold off Spurs (or draw to them at home) given our better GD. They have a much harder set of fixtures though - Arsenal, City and Burnley at home and away at Chelsea, us and Sheffield United.

Point in any game will do it for us now after Chelsea got a draw
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,306 posts | 1669 
      Reply #600: Apr 27, 2024 10:30:39 pm
      I can't help wondering if Klopp had put Salah and Nunez on when we were 2-1 up and had the momentum whether we would have won, instead I feel he waited far too long and maybe that was what Mo was complaining about, he certainly didn't give them enough time to make any real impact. Instead he put pressure on them to score the winning goal.
      I don't want to throw JĆ¼rgen under the bus especially as it's the last few games of the season but I feel he got this wrong today, it's such a shame the way the last couple of weeks have gone and we've gone to pieces without as much as a whimper, tragic, as I'm sure we didn't expect it to end like this.  :(

Maybe it was Salah who pissed around too long and took his time as he was sulking about being given only a small amount of playing time
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,897 posts | 428 
      Reply #601: Apr 27, 2024 10:42:20 pm
      Just catching up with the game on MOTD.

What's that fake Altrincham fan doing stopping Gakpo from putting that in the goal??
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,666 posts | 1600 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #602: Apr 27, 2024 10:43:30 pm
      Maybe it was Salah who pissed around too long and took his time as he was sulking about being given only a small amount of playing time

I'm sure he was pretty peeved not to be playing from the off......BUT to bring him on, on what was it, 77 mins is hardly fair, I was begging JĆ¼rgen to give him and Nunez at least half an hour.
      paulow63
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 680 posts | 89 
      Reply #603: Apr 27, 2024 10:46:22 pm
      Even though not playing well we're still making chances, so yes composure is an issue.....is that something that can be coached into players?...Not sure. A major issue I've noticed is our defence not making a tackle to stop an attack, how many times have we seen opposition players just glide from the touchline through a static defence and fashion a chance? Their equaliser today....I was screaming put a fu*king tackle in...and whatever you do don't let him cross the ball....but no, we just back off...we've seen it all too often. In all sport it's about finding a way to win...at all costs...It was pathetic to let this West Ham back into it....the prize is too big to just fold like that.
      Completely agree with that summary. If you rewind how the West Ham goal started and watch again. A punt up field from West Ham, Trent had a simple header but miss timed it, it went up in the air on our right touch line, he then defended by sticking a leg out which he missed. West Ham then went onto score in that third phase of their possession. I think that's why Trent got substituted.
      rossyred

• 9,306 posts | 1669 
      Reply #604: Apr 27, 2024 11:30:48 pm
      I'm sure he was pretty peeved not to be playing from the off......BUT to bring him on, on what was it, 77 mins is hardly fair, I was begging JĆ¼rgen to give him and Nunez at least half an hour.

His form has been poor didn't warrant a.start really along with Darwin and Szoboslai . Should he have come.in earlier? Possibly but we were winning and I thought in control and really Mac should have put it to bed but that's the managers perogative have to earn your starts
      Harrisimo

• 8,322 posts | 1408 
      Reply #605: Apr 28, 2024 12:16:08 am
      Gravenberch again was more than decent. Has to be remembered hasn't started all that much as is only 21 going on 22. If he stays he'll get a clean slate with Arnie and could hold down a place.

Of the midfield squad, questions have been asked this season of the whole squad. They'll all get a clean slate next season but Gravenberch is in there with as good a chance as any.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #606: Apr 28, 2024 07:48:27 am
      It's befuddling how we outplay these other teams but fail to score...
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,961 posts | 5018 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #607: Apr 28, 2024 08:36:51 am
      I can't help wondering if Klopp had put Salah and Nunez on when we were 2-1 up and had the momentum whether we would have won, instead I feel he waited far too long and maybe that was what Mo was complaining about, he certainly didn't give them enough time to make any real impact. Instead he put pressure on them to score the winning goal.
      I don't want to throw JĆ¼rgen under the bus especially as it's the last few games of the season but I feel he got this wrong today, it's such a shame the way the last couple of weeks have gone and we've gone to pieces without as much as a whimper, tragic, as I'm sure we didn't expect it to end like this.  :(

You do have a point Cas, however, my take on it is this if Salah, Jones, Nunez et al had been arsed to put a shift in the last few games he in particular wouldnā€™t have been benched in the first place, Mo hasnā€™t been the same since his injury, since the Afcon, even before that he wasnā€™t his usual self, add JĆ¼rgenā€™s bombshell he along with everyone else just seem to have given up,

Maybe Iā€™m being too harsh here, but who the F**k wanted it more on Wednesday, certainly not the team still in a title race with a more than reasonable chance of winning it, but a team languishing in the bottom five hopeful of survival, where the F**k is their passion ?

Where was it against Palace, against Atalanta, it seems to me since JĆ¼rgen told us heā€™s off weā€™ve went into f***in limp mode, yes weā€™ve had injuries and many at the same time but for me there has been little fight, in particular from those you expect it from,

Sorry but itā€™s pissed me off, Salah giving it the gob when heā€™s hardly been pulling trees up of late, heā€™s not the only one either, he was deserving of his place on the bench imo, so whether it was late to bring him on is irrelevant to me cos truth is he shouldnā€™t have been on that bench in the first instance,

Truth is weā€™re not good enough, weā€™ve done extremely well hanging in there but thereā€™s a gap now between us Arsenal & the cheating cnuts, this new midfield we have is nowhere near good enough, with the exception of Macca,  we havenā€™t replaced Mane, Gini or Hendo, these guys gave us pace, tempo & steel, Szloboslai, Jones , Endo, Elliot arenā€™t up to it, maybe the new fella Slot will get more out of them but we are way short in that department,

I hate this too but I think itā€™s the time we cashed in on Mo, we need the funds to build a better midfield and obviously another Striker or two, so whatever the Sand dancers come back in with any offer North of Ā£100m we should snap their hands off, no pun intended, Iā€™m ranting now and what I want to say can be said later,

Itā€™s sad itā€™s ending like this for JĆ¼rgen, but this is not a fairytale, its reality, not the ending we all hoped for 3/4 trophies a parade through the City etc etc, but it is what it is and lifeā€™s a bi*ch, the season is finished for me, only the emotions to go through now in particular that last home match !!

YNWA

ToshackKeeganOneNil
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts | 114 
      Reply #608: Apr 28, 2024 09:26:34 am

You do have a point Cas, however, my take on it is this if Salah, Jones, Nunez et al had been arsed to put a shift in the last few games he in particular wouldnā€™t have been benched in the first place, Mo hasnā€™t been the same since his injury, since the Afcon, even before that he wasnā€™t his usual self, add JĆ¼rgenā€™s bombshell he along with everyone else just seem to have given up,

Maybe Iā€™m being too harsh here, but who the F**k wanted it more on Wednesday, certainly not the team still in a title race with a more than reasonable chance of winning it, but a team languishing in the bottom five hopeful of survival, where the F**k is their passion ?

Where was it against Palace, against Atalanta, it seems to me since JĆ¼rgen told us heā€™s off weā€™ve went into f***in limp mode, yes weā€™ve had injuries and many at the same time but for me there has been little fight, in particular from those you expect it from,

Sorry but itā€™s pissed me off, Salah giving it the gob when heā€™s hardly been pulling trees up of late, heā€™s not the only one either, he was deserving of his place on the bench imo, so whether it was late to bring him on is irrelevant to me cos truth is he shouldnā€™t have been on that bench in the first instance,

Truth is weā€™re not good enough, weā€™ve done extremely well hanging in there but thereā€™s a gap now between us Arsenal & the cheating cnuts, this new midfield we have is nowhere near good enough, with the exception of Macca,  we havenā€™t replaced Mane, Gini or Hendo, these guys gave us pace, tempo & steel, Szloboslai, Jones , Endo, Elliot arenā€™t up to it, maybe the new fella Slot will get more out of them but we are way short in that department,

I hate this too but I think itā€™s the time we cashed in on Mo, we need the funds to build a better midfield and obviously another Striker or two, so whatever the Sand dancers come back in with any offer North of Ā£100m we should snap their hands off, no pun intended, Iā€™m ranting now and what I want to say can be said later,

Itā€™s sad itā€™s ending like this for JĆ¼rgen, but this is not a fairytale, its reality, not the ending we all hoped for 3/4 trophies a parade through the City etc etc, but it is what it is and lifeā€™s a bi*ch, the season is finished for me, only the emotions to go through now in particular that last home match !!

YNWA

I thought at the time he was wrong to announce his leaving mid season. I still can't understand the logic behind it unless he wanted to make it all about him.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,589 posts | 7141 
      Reply #609: Apr 28, 2024 10:08:01 am
      We have been severely punished for our mistakes in the past few weeks
      Arsenal win the league utd the Cup and where would that leave the wonderful Pep and oil polluted city.
      Perspective so much better than last season and the memories of the last 9 years massively out weight the silverware
      Trophy and Cl qualification not to be sniffed at.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,396 posts | 788 
      Reply #610: Apr 28, 2024 10:28:38 am
      I thought at the time he was wrong to announce his leaving mid season. I still can't understand the logic behind it unless he wanted to make it all about him.
      We are all free to feel he was right or he was wrong, For me it shouldn't, and hasn't made any difference/ The players performed well enough through to the home game against Atalanta....that night is when the wheels fell off. Since then we've progressively got worse and the team has just imploded. Any notion of JK's announcement being to better himself shows a lack of understanding of the man, as he is selfless and always has what's best for the club at heart....hence him deciding to go.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,897 posts | 428 
      Reply #611: Apr 28, 2024 10:39:36 am

Problem was if you watch MOTD they were all lined on to come on when we were 2-1 up but we couldn't clear our lines and the ball never went out of play. They scored their equaliser in the time the 3 subs were stood waiting to come on.

Not the first time this season we've conceded with subs stood waiting to come on.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,897 posts | 428 
      Reply #612: Apr 28, 2024 10:43:33 am
      Maybe, maybe not but would have put pressure on the ref, we need to learn the dark arts, weā€™re just to nice

There is no doubt if this had happened to United, City, Arsenal, Chelsea they would have absolutely surrounded the referee at that decision and there would have been fireworks at full time. If it happened to Forest they would have pointed out the ref is a United fan.

He got off lightly because all we did was a few threw their arms up and looked bemused and Cody had a little word.

We do have to learn to stand up for ourselves when sh*t like that happens.

As the manager I'd have been demanding an explanation  and for the audio from Taylor to be heard because he's clearly told their keeper to go down so he can pretend he needs the physio.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,156 posts | 3467 
      Reply #613: Apr 28, 2024 10:45:57 am

I can only think that it was to stop it being leaked

For months it made no difference at all if anything it might have given the players more motivation
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,350 posts | 289 
      Reply #614: Apr 28, 2024 10:49:15 am
      We had a lot of problems this year, we've defended poorly at times and had some rough luck with injuries but let's face it if Nunez and Diaz also Salah tbf had been more clinical infront of goal we'd have won the league.
      Our inability to convert pressure and chances into goals has cost us a title.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,396 posts | 788 
      Reply #615: Apr 28, 2024 11:11:52 am
      We had a lot of problems this year, we've defended poorly at times and had some rough luck with injuries but let's face it if Nunez and Diaz also Salah tbf had been more clinical infront of goal we'd have won the league.
      Our inability to convert pressure and chances into goals has cost us a title.
      That's what separates Champions from the rest; Gravenburch smacks a shot just over the bar....De Bruyne scores that.....Elliott hits the crossbar in the final minute....Foden scores that.....MacAllister soft header straight to the keeper....Alvarez scores that..
      Close at the end of the day means nothing.....The currency has always been goals.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,852 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #616: Apr 28, 2024 11:53:47 am
      I think the first thing a new boss will do is to look at the right back position , we constantly get attacked and beaten down this side and Trent certainly can't do the defending !  Young Bradley is just that , young ! he needs time and experience so a defender or defensive midfielder who is mobile needs to assist , If the defence becomes sound then our midfield can boss the play with confidence and create more chances ,Looks like Mo will go this year and with the money we need to buy wisely ,been a great player for us but time catches up with us all . I think when JĆ¼rgen leaves a new set of ideas and strategies may well be just the thing to sort this squad out and achieve what it is capable of
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,961 posts | 5018 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #617: Apr 28, 2024 11:54:09 am
      We are all free to feel he was right or he was wrong, For me it shouldn't, and hasn't made any difference/ The players performed well enough through to the home game against Atalanta....that night is when the wheels fell off. Since then we've progressively got worse and the team has just imploded. Any notion of JK's announcement being to better himself shows a lack of understanding of the man, as he is selfless and always has what's best for the club at heart....hence him deciding to go.

I think the ā€œWheelsā€ were wobbly way before that Atalanta 1st leg, it was just that we got away with it on more than a few occasions, how many time did we say, ā€˜Oh lookā€™ weā€™re top of the shop and havenā€™t gotten out of 3rd gear yet? and not realising that that was probably the best we could muster, all the way thru to Xmas, and then Afcon happened losing Endo & Mo, and the toe up the clacker bag with JĆ¼rgenā€™s bombshell!!

Thereā€™s no getting away from the fact that the injuries we suffered hit us hard, too many to key players all around the same time , hence playing kids, whatā€™s new there it seems ??

As for JĆ¼rgen, when would there have been a good time ? In hindsight perhaps at the start of the season 🤷, dunno but certainly not at the end, especially now that weā€™re playing sh*te, it would look like he was bottling out and not walking voluntarily,

Youā€™re right to say he wasnā€™t thinking of himself, he was thinking more of the club and we fans, he knew he had taken us far as he could and simply doesnā€™t have the energy to continue the rebuild, so heā€™s doing the right thing and walking away, and if weā€™re all honest weā€™d have to agree itā€™s the correct call, he said at the very beginning ā€œDonā€™t judge me while Iā€™m here, judge me when Iā€™ve leftā€ or words to that effect, and he his certainly leaving us in a much better position than when he started !!

There arenā€™t any words appropriate enough to thank him for what he has brought to Liverpool FC, ā€˜Thank Youā€™ Will be said a Million Times but it still seems that is not enough??

YNWA
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,029 posts | 3960 
      Reply #618: Apr 28, 2024 12:25:31 pm
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cx9wxd90ny8o

ā€œIf I speak there will be fireā€ Salah
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,396 posts | 788 
      Reply #619: Apr 28, 2024 12:26:42 pm
      Agree with all that.......Wheels wobbled for longer than we'd like to admit, the amount of goals we needed to score, and did score, in the last 15 minutes of games highlights the fact we were not as in control of games as our position in the table suggested.
      Injuries no doubt hit us hard....even though we still dug out impressive results with the replacements.

JĆ¼rgen: Well it's getting close and we're all feeling it....that's what made Mo's squabble so annoying, the boss has been running on fumes for quite a while....I still think we come second and there's no shame in that...but I'll never forgive the players for that sh*t show at Goodison...that was a kick in the balls insult to this Great manager...and us, the supporters.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,051 posts | 342 
      Reply #620: Apr 28, 2024 12:34:04 pm
      Use your brain you simpleton.

Everyone else seemed to get it easily enough.

Iā€™m simple too then.

It wasnā€™t clear whether it referred to points, goals scored/ concede, stats, opinion.

I get the gist of it and agree that the point is made. Weā€™ve been poor in our first halves but good second halves. That much has been clear to us all formonths.

YNWA

Quick Reply