Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Rafa's midfield

Read 4786 times
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Rafa's midfield
      Dec 08, 2007 09:31:39 am
      Saw this on Liverpool TV site, and i thought it was a great topic.

Rafa over the years has made some very good buys in midfield, and I think we have the best in the prem.
      But, there is always a but, we have a lot of players in this area, can we keep them all, I don't think so.
      We can only play 4, or maybe 5 out of the list;

Steven Gerrard, Xabi Alonso, Harry Kewell, Yossi Benayoun, Jermaine Pennant. Ryan Babel,
      Javier Mascherano, Lucas Leiva, Momo Sissoko, Sebastian Leto, Danny Guthrie(on loan to Bolton),
      and lets not forget, Nabil El Zhar, Adam Hammill, and there also John Arne Riise, who plays a lot in midfield.

My count is 14, and I might have missed someone out, on top of that we have some very good young players coming along very nice.

I think we all know we need to buy at some stage another left sided player.
      Lets say we don't have much funds, and we have to sell before we can buy.
      No matter who we sell, lets face it Liverpool are going to make good money.

I would take Ryan Bable out of the midfield, I think he will play up front as time goes on, what do you think.
      So that leaves us 13, and if we buy a leftsided player we are up to 14, out of the 14, I think we only need  9 or 10.

Just some points;
      Mascherano, will cost us something like 17 to 18 mill. world class player, I like him a lot, and a class leftsided player will cost 10 mill up-wards; so thats somewere up to 28 to 30 mill we have to raise.

So who would you keep, and who would you sell, and why?

What is your best midfield, and don't forget the subs.

This is a hard one to call, and we have to try and keep the players happy as-well.

What are your thoughts, have fun ;D
      « Last Edit: Dec 08, 2007 10:57:37 am by JD »
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Re: Rafa,s Midfield
      Reply #1: Dec 08, 2007 10:12:12 am
      I think the poster's being a little presumptious including El Zhar, Guthrie, Leto and Hammill in that list. They are still at reserve level at the moment, and most have at least a year or two before they either make it or get sold on.

So that leaves 10 players. I believe Riise will be gone sooner rather than later, and it's looking ever more likely Sissoko will be following him as Lucas continues to prove himself. Babel probably will move up front at some point, and will need to be replaced on the left, but until some of our kids start breaking through I don't feel we'll have too many midfielders after January.
      « Last Edit: Dec 08, 2007 10:16:39 am by EddieC »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2: Dec 08, 2007 10:43:02 am
      I would like our left sided player to be Kewell if he stays fit but also Paul Anderson for next season. He has progressed quite alot and i think will turn into a class player NOT world class but you never know.

Gerrard, Lucas, Alonso, Mascherano, Kewell, Benayoun and Pennant along with Anderson and maybe Guthrie and Leto added to that next season. I think thats a good a midfield as anyone in the prem. We can lose Riise and Sissoko.
      S-A-M-U-E-L-T
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 51 posts | -13 
      • LIVERPOOL!
      Reply #3: Dec 08, 2007 10:44:34 am
      Gerrard mascherano kwell and babel that is it for me. rafa is spoilt for choice so he can rest player and keep playing them
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #4: Dec 08, 2007 10:49:17 am
      Gerrard mascherano kwell and babel that is it for me. rafa is spoilt for choice so he can rest player and keep playing them

4 players for a whole season? And Babel i presume you mean on the right? I dont think Rafa would ever play that.

He likes Babel down the left and expose Kewell for that last 20 or so to do the damage. Benayoun is the choice on the right untill JP gets back to full fitness.
      S-A-M-U-E-L-T
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 51 posts | -13 
      • LIVERPOOL!
      Re: Rafa's midfield
      Reply #5: Dec 08, 2007 11:02:13 am

babel                                 mascherano                                  gerrard                            benayoun

that is probaly mine with kwell on the bench with sissoko
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #6: Dec 08, 2007 11:28:24 am
      Where's that leave Xabi?
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #7: Dec 08, 2007 12:43:41 pm
      Rafa's point is there is no set midfield 4 that he's going to go for week in week out. In an ideal world, I think he wants two top quality players in each position over the pitch, so he can chop and change with no detrimental effect to the team, and keeping the ability to exploit weaknesses the other team may have. Whether or not that includes the 14 players above, or whether new guys bought in will be happy to play around half of the games, is not clear...
      Istvan Kozma
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 165 posts | 31 
      Reply #8: Dec 08, 2007 01:07:29 pm
      I think the poster's being a little presumptious including El Zhar, Guthrie, Leto and Hammill in that list. They are still at reserve level at the moment, and most have at least a year or two before they either make it or get sold on.

So that leaves 10 players. I believe Riise will be gone sooner rather than later, and it's looking ever more likely Sissoko will be following him as Lucas continues to prove himself. Babel probably will move up front at some point, and will need to be replaced on the left, but until some of our kids start breaking through I don't feel we'll have too many midfielders after January.

I pretty much agree.  Although Momo Sissoko looked like a quality aqcuisition when he first arrived, i think most of us would agree that he's not been living up to his potential, therefore, I do think that Rafa would sacrifice him if it meant he had to in order to keep Mascherano.  I wouldn't be too concerned if we sold Pennant for decent money either, as long as there was a quality player lined up.
      The_Kop_4_Life2005
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 25 posts | -1 
      Reply #9: Dec 08, 2007 01:18:51 pm
      for me the ideal midfield is pennant and kewell on the wings with Gerrard and Alonso in the center, but as Alonso and pennant are currently injured i would go babel and kewell on the wings with Gerrard and leiva/mascherano in the center. i don't rate sissoko and never have done, he was suppose to be the next viera but he has been no better than the average midfielder and i think its about time that he left and he probably will do in January. as for benayoun i was disappointed when we signed him because i never thought he would be able to do well for us but I'm glad to admit that i was wrong, however i still don't see him as a first teamer weak in weak out and in my opinion he should just come on as a sub because he adds that extra bit of flair you need to scrape out a result in the last period of the game.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #10: Dec 08, 2007 01:27:57 pm
      I don't rate sissoko and never have done, he was suppose to be the next viera but he has been no better than the average midfielder

I'm not a fan but you cant say he is the 'average midfielder' because he is anything but. His ability to break down play is quite unique and not one player in the world does it with the heart he puts into his performances.

Plus, the average midfielder knows how to pass 10 yards. :D
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #11: Dec 10, 2007 01:49:59 pm
      Momo can go along with JAR in January - looks more gangly and nervous on the ball than ever... shades of Toure vs Reading...!
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #12: Dec 11, 2007 12:06:09 am
      imo sell momo and im not sure whether we shld sell or keep riise atm cos i think if he score it will spark him back into a bit more good form. bring back hammill and anderson as they are the future of the side for the wings if u ask me. and who better for them to learn from than kewell and benayoun/pennant. they both have amazing amounts of potential and can light up the premiership given the chance. guthrie i was decided on and thought we should 100% bring him back soon until i saw lucas play, i do still think we should bring him back but it seems like it could be rather cramped. sign mascherano permanent his play in his role is immense, babel to play upfront and voronin to leave.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #13: Dec 11, 2007 07:57:41 am
       I think Sissoko has been a big disappointment this season, dont know if the terrible injury to his eye has been the cause of his problems.Lucas has proved his value when he has played and has got a great future.I also like Benayoun on the right and i have noticed that when he plays and Arbeloa is right back he brings out the best in Arbeloa.
      johnbarnesno1
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts |
      Reply #14: Dec 11, 2007 10:48:58 am
      If we got rid of Pennant, Sissoko and Leto we would probably get about £10M in total (give or take) and that would do nicely to show the owners that's it's all about spending their money Rafa's happy to recoup some cash for them.
      The Best Midfield is:
      Babel              Mascherano/Alonso       Gerrard         Benayoun
      imanime
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #15: Dec 11, 2007 11:14:28 am
      That true about Rafa have more of midfielders and he should sell somebody out for money.
      the best is:Gerrard Xabi Rise Mascherano kewell and Babel.
      ..my Xabi..
      He is the great player that sometime i think we cant miss..
      marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 139 posts | -2 
      Reply #16: Dec 11, 2007 11:18:35 am
      i think were all agreed that Momo is nowhere near good enough, and apart from the centre midfielders we have at the club, the quality on the wings is severly lacking.

harry is in last chance salon and needs to prove his worth.

tonight in france might just be the perfect arena for his skills to 'come back from the leeds dressing room ' where he left them !

yossi is a good player and probably our best winger, although technically he doesnt go down the wing that much but cuts inside instead .

babel is a striker, plain and simple, so move him up front and ship out dirk or voronin, as they are not LFC quality.

we are still short of a wide man or two, a striker, a left back and a centre half.
      hence why we are 4th spot in the league.

EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #17: Dec 11, 2007 12:47:00 pm
      Some of you guys have got me in stitches, with comments about selling Leto, one of our most promising youngsters, and mentioning Riise & best in the same sentence.

Jokes thread is in The Arkles guys :D
      marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 139 posts | -2 
      Reply #18: Dec 11, 2007 12:52:16 pm
      riise and leto are not worth mentioning
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #19: Dec 11, 2007 01:00:32 pm
      We have (I hope) Mascherano, So we really can still coast without Sissoko. Riise? I have gotten used to him being a LFC left back, but with Aurelio and Arbeloa, We can also sell him (If need be). We really dont have that many midfielders, the young players still have to earn their place in the first 11/subs
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #20: Dec 11, 2007 01:40:36 pm

Leto is a decent player and prospect for our club - time will be the judge of that.

JAR on the other hand - has had his best days (which we are of course grateful for) - but now can move on in January... Ginger will never walk alone.
      « Last Edit: Dec 11, 2007 01:43:32 pm by donrafael »
      marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 139 posts | -2 
      Reply #21: Dec 11, 2007 01:43:14 pm
      'decent enough' is not what we should be aspiring too at LFC

decent gets you fourth spot !
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #22: Dec 11, 2007 01:46:21 pm
      'decent enough' is not what we should be aspiring too at LFC

decent gets you fourth spot !

We are fourth because we have a game in hand and have brought many new members into a team to gel together this season... together with a terrible run of injuries through out the squad.

We will not be 4th in May - more like 1st.

Keep the faith.

Momo and JAR to leave = GBP 6M - to be used bring in another quality defender for cover... Marchena of Valencia would be my personal choice.
      marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 139 posts | -2 
      Reply #23: Dec 11, 2007 02:03:35 pm

We are fourth because we have a game in hand and have brought many new members into a team to gel together this season... together with a terrible run of injuries through out the squad.

We will not be 4th in May - more like 1st.

Keep the faith.

i do have faith, just not in all of our players. (and judging by the amount of games hes played, neither does Rafa)

Momo and JAR to leave = GBP 6M - to be used bring in another quality defender for cover... Marchena of Valencia would be my personal choice.

agreed, but we need more than just centre half cover.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #24: Dec 11, 2007 02:29:56 pm

I take you haven't seen any more of Leto than the couple of appearances he's made for the first team then? Because I don't believe you would slate him so quickly if you'd seen him play for the reserves. He isn't the finished article by any means, but he definitely has raw talent, and anyone who's seen a bit of him could tell you that.
      marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 139 posts | -2 
      Reply #25: Dec 11, 2007 02:36:17 pm
      he cannot even get a start in front of JAR or harry

surely he cant be that good then can he ?

CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #26: Dec 11, 2007 02:38:44 pm

As he is still at reserve level. Kewell and JAR have a lot of experience in the first team. The kid is going to be amazing! (Key word, KID! ;)) What Eddie is saying is that he is an up and coming player, not the finished article!
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #27: Dec 11, 2007 02:39:08 pm

He is, but Rafa doesn't tend to rush youngsters into the first team. I also think he may still have some language issues at the moment which can't help either, a couple of times for the reserves I've seen him looking totally baffled when Gary Abblett shouts instructions at him.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #28: Dec 11, 2007 02:39:48 pm

Putting JAR (prob going in Jan) and Harry (prob going on Bosman end of season) in the shop window is essential for them and the club.

Leto on the other hand is one for the future - and he has a great future in football from what I have seen him play in the reserves.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #29: Dec 11, 2007 02:40:57 pm
      a couple of times for the reserves I've seen him looking totally baffled when Gary Abblett shouts instructions at him.

Imagine him with Carragher then! ;) :lmao:
      marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 139 posts | -2 
      Reply #30: Dec 11, 2007 02:43:30 pm
      i hope you all prove me wrong and he turns out to be a wonder kid and not another mark gonzalez then.

heres hoping  ;)
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #31: Dec 11, 2007 02:44:10 pm

Torres said recently on spanish radio that he can't understand a word that Jamie says to him... that's probably why Jamie is more theatrical in his gestures on the pitch - so that they know he is F***ing NOT happy with something... and not leave it to scouse-accent chance!

Get in Señor Carra!!! (...we need 11 Carras!!!)
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #32: Dec 11, 2007 02:46:32 pm
      Torres said recently on spanish radio that he can't understand a word that Jamie says to him... that's probably why Jamie is more theatrical in his gestures on the pitch - so that they know he is F***ing NOT happy with something... and not leave it to scouse-accent chance!

Get in Señor Carra!!! (...we need 11 Carras!!!)

A lot of the Spanish players have said that, and the rest obviously! That's a good point that, how much more theatrical he's got! ;D I get like that if someone can't understand me! ;)
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #33: Dec 11, 2007 02:48:00 pm
      I hope you all prove me wrong and he turns out to be a wonder kid and not another mark gonzalez then.

heres hoping  ;)

Leto will prove you wrong sir.

BTW, Mark Gonzalez is also proving to be a disaster for Betis.

You know they say small details mean a lot - well when I travelled over from Madrid last season to Anfield with my little boy - we shouted over (in Spanish) to Mark in the Anfield car park to come over and sign an autograph - he looked over, tutted and walked away to his car...

Torres on the other hand was recently a total gent with my boy - and was more than happy to spend some time and have a chat and a picture taken with us. Un Caballero.

Class is Class.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #34: Dec 11, 2007 02:51:22 pm
      Leto will prove you wrong sir.

BTW, Mark Gonzalez is also proving to be a disaster for Betis.

You know they say small details mean a lot - well when I travelled over from Madrid last season to Anfield with my little boy - we shouted over (in Spanish) to Mark in the Anfield car park to come over and sign an autograph - he looked over, tutted and walked away to his car...

Torres on the other hand was recently a total gent with my boy - and was more than happy to spend some time and have a chat and a picture taken with us. Un Caballero.

Class is Class.

Un Caballero - Gentleman! ;) I got called that a lot by my Spanish lecturer haha!

I've mentioned in another thread today how down to earth Torres is! Me mate seen him in Speke in a music shop and he still took time to get a picture with him and have a gab!

I expected Gonzalez to do well at Betis! It's a shame, I wanted him to do well! Was always behind him during his time here but it just wasn't to be! :( Some people just aren't good enough, no matter how badly they want to be! Didn't expect him to be a pr**k though! :laugh: Quite shocked at that!

Quick Reply