Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who was the worst LFC boss?

Bill Shankly
      (1.4%)
      Bob Paisley
      (0%)
      Joe Fagan
      (0%)
      Kenny Dalglish
      (1.4%)
      Graeme Souness
      (64.8%)
      Roy Evans
      (22.5%)
      Gerard Houllier
      (8.5%)
      Rafael Benitez
      (1.4%)

Worst LFC manager of recent times?

Read 5223 times
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Re: Worst LFC manager of recent times?
      Reply #23: Dec 07, 2007 04:14:46 pm
      While Houllier won us the treble in 2001, and that he did drag us from the dark ages into the new century, I feel that his handling of some players wasn't upto scratch! I feel it was Houllier who overworked Michael Owen, eventually running him into the ground with injuries.

Picking Diouf over Anelka was also a weird decision that will go down as one of the peculiarities of our history. Bringing in young French players who may well have been promising, but he heaped immense pressure on their backs by labelling them the 'next Zidane' and the 'next Viera.' A manager should never do that, as it either sets the players up to fall or inflates their ego's to the point of bursting.

I'm making this decision purely on the basis of how I seen the manager, as I know he was in an awkward position when he took over, but when he finally got the squad he felt was good enough he didn't do much with it. 
      S-A-M-U-E-L-T
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 51 posts | -13 
      • LIVERPOOL!
      Reply #24: Dec 07, 2007 04:38:06 pm
      Gotta be royevans. I liked grahem souness as he had a mission on his hands but fair play because he did alright.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #25: Dec 07, 2007 04:42:24 pm
      Would agree 100 percent!! Souness in most deffinitely the worst, just look at his record since we booted him out!!
      Jrwanderer
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 115 posts |
      • Team Spirit of Champions
      Reply #26: Dec 07, 2007 04:50:48 pm
      I might get crucified for this, but hear goes....

I said Kenny, don't get me wrong he won a lot of trophies for us, but he did take over an excellent team with which he had very little to alter. Then he left the club at a time when alot of those star players were starting to get on a bit. I believe he left because even he didn't know how we were going to replace most of the players and rebuild a team.
      This mess was then apparent when Souness took over, and he tried to replace alot of the players and it didn't work. But Souness did bring alot of future blood like Redknapp, Fowler, McManaman, and if I'm not mistaken Carragher?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,059 posts | 2745 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #27: Dec 07, 2007 05:20:21 pm
      Ill get you your coat jrwanderer you can see yourself out  :o

;)

Istvan Kozma
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 165 posts | 31 
      Reply #28: Dec 07, 2007 06:11:11 pm
      I might get crucified for this, but hear goes....

I said Kenny, don't get me wrong he won a lot of trophies for us, but he did take over an excellent team with which he had very little to alter. Then he left the club at a time when alot of those star players were starting to get on a bit. I believe he left because even he didn't know how we were going to replace most of the players and rebuild a team.
      This mess was then apparent when Souness took over, and he tried to replace alot of the players and it didn't work. But Souness did bring alot of future blood like Redknapp, Fowler, McManaman, and if I'm not mistaken Carragher?

Are you posting that to wind people up?  When Kenny took over as player-Manager he won the double in his first season, but in his second, (although we were there or thereabouts) we won nothing and Rushie was due to leave for Juventus.  Therefore, it became clear that the team needed new players, so Kenny brought in three players who in my opinion should go down as Liverpool legends... that's John Aldridge, John Barnes, and Peter Beardsley.  (He later added Ray Houghton to those signings) and Liverpool went on to play great football that year, and were unlucky not to clinch another double.  Also, a fifth European Cup may very well have been won back then had we not been thrown out of Europe.  When Kenny left Liverpool Football Club i believe he left because the pressure was getting too much, and maybe personal issues were involved, but it had nothing to do with rebuilding a team in my opinion.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #29: Dec 07, 2007 06:33:22 pm
      JD you are the man and make some excellent discussion threads, but this one makes me feel like a geordie! 

Souness for me was the one that subsided the walls of Anfield.  As for Houllier, I think he did very well and was the first to build a very good squad of players.  As for the five years thing, he did dismantle the entire team, so obviously, he needed more time than lets say Souness that was inherited a winning team. 
      « Last Edit: Dec 07, 2007 07:02:47 pm by king kenny »
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #30: Dec 07, 2007 06:59:19 pm
      king kenny the worst manager in Liverpool's history !!??

dont make me F***ing laugh

that is completley outragous
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #31: Dec 07, 2007 07:07:55 pm
      It has long been an accusation that Dalglish left because he wasn't sure where to take the club from that point. Personally I think it was a combination of a lot of things, and I do think this was a part but not the main part. That said even if it was the only reason he left his achievements alone mean he surely can't be rated as the worst manager, maybe not the best but definitely not the worst.
      kingjari
      • Forum David Johnson

• 216 posts | 10 
      • Spirit of Shankly/Liverpool Supporters Union
      Reply #32: Dec 07, 2007 09:44:23 pm
      if you go by win percentage then statisticaly Ronnie Moran, when he was caretaker manager for a few month's between Souness and Evans, is the worst LFC manager of recent times !  ;D
      Personally think its souness, has everyone here forgotten the f***in interview he did with the S*n ??? that alone is enough to make him the worst. i remember being particularly disgusted when be bought julian dicks, dicks by name dicks by nature !. He tried to impose his authauroity too quickly moving players on when they were at their peak, Beardsley, Mcmahon, houghton and even steve staunton and replacing them with sh*te. fair play to him he gave macca, growler and redknapp their chance but his reign consisted of too many really low points and very shallow highs. the FA cup win apart,it was a forgettable time really.
      Evans was better his team played sparkling and exiting football but were defensivley fragile, remember calamity was souness signing after all, despite only winning the league cup his team brought us some spectacular and truly memorable matches. how can we forget the two 4-3s against newcastle, the recovery from 3 down against manure among others. none of us will forget the FA cup surrender against manure or those wanky white suits. but generally i have happy memories of evans time in charge.
      As for houllier its very clever of us to slate him now with hindsight but in 2001 people thought he was the messiah, shanks reborn etc after winning an english record of 5 trophies in a calendar year. we were all made up after that amazing u£fa cup final against alaves, or when we gained a little revenge on arsenal for robbing us of the league by robbing them of the FA cup.  he had improved our league position year on year, he advised on the re-building of melwood and the academy, though that would have happend regardles of who was manager. he also modernised the training, fitness and diet of the team, carra and stevie g are the players and profesionals they are today because of him. sami hyypia and didi hamman are LFC legends. lets be honest he brought pride back to us and brought the name Liverpool football club into the european spoghtligt again. we had some very good times. and after the man nearly died for us and football he lost his way, his purpose and importantly his sound judgement. how many of us would bounce back into the job after such a life changing event ?. i was at the roma champions league match with the "allez" mosaic,i remember the immense pride i felt at the support and devotion we showed to our manager, its what makes us unique as fans. .
      yes he was a defensive coach and yes he bought a striker that went a whole season without scoring; theres a very good reason why el hadj diouf is the only former red thats booed constantly at anfield.....hes a world class tw*t and a nobend. good scouting would have found this out, diouf at the time seemed an exiting but impulsive buy, who knew eh ? having said that houllier did buy my all time anfield "cult" hero Jari Litmanen, a magic player as well as Kewell. it was when he sold Fowler and hardly played Litmanen that the tide turned for me with houllier but even so i was sad to see him sacked.
      solodee

• 6,033 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #33: Dec 07, 2007 11:26:05 pm
      Soledee!!!! Come on please do it....with the Hatton fight approaching I need a way to get out my aggression!!

My vote is goes to Souness! Now pick a fight with that  ;D
      solodee

• 6,033 posts | 147 
      Reply #34: Dec 07, 2007 11:28:50 pm

Basically for me Houllier was a bullshitter and if we had have left Roy Evans there and gave him the funds to get a good centre half and keeper we wouldnt be still waiting on number 19

Houllier had problems: but Souness, now that was a clueless manager.
      « Last Edit: Dec 07, 2007 11:45:23 pm by solodee »
      solodee

• 6,033 posts | 147 
      Reply #35: Dec 07, 2007 11:34:04 pm
      Houllier for me. Who chooses Diouf over Anelka? He brought in absolute rubbish players at times that left me wondering. Although Rafa hasnt made all perfect signings, he realises it, admits it and moves on and buys an absolute gem. Cheyrou, Diao, Traore, Diouf, let Fowler go. He was a mess.

If you mean El Haj Diouf, let's have a rethink. We have this saying that ''The gift is free; so your gift (skill or talent) can take you to great heights that your character will not be able to keep you''. it is Diouf's bad attitude that overshadows his foot-balling skills. The bboy know how to move with the ball, he is just so mild-mannered.
      The Anfield Warrior
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,029 posts | 32 
      • RED Blooded since '67
      Reply #36: Dec 08, 2007 01:57:15 am
      WHOA...!!!

I Thought Id accidentally clicked onto a "REDKIPPER" forum....

Umm, Nup, this is definitely a topic in lfcreds...
      andyb
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Reply #37: Dec 08, 2007 09:48:00 am
      All managers make mistakes . But for me Souness messed the club up the most, you only have to look at how long it is taking to put the mess right.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #38: Dec 08, 2007 11:14:29 am
      I was going through Diouf's profile on Wikipedia and found this...

'He remains Liverpool's worst buy of all time, scoring 3 goals in 58 appearances and highlighting Houllier's lack of managerial talent.'

Houllier was a childish manager in the transfer windows. He saw one tremendous performance as 'whoa! step back! this guy is awesome!'

His team he put together was rubbish and Rafa has dropped the clue's plenty of times eg. 'We won the CL with a squad with less quality' etc.

Houllier built a team of one match wonder's.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,573 posts | 6915 
      Reply #39: Dec 08, 2007 07:04:38 pm
      Can I request you add Phil Thompson to the poll?
      he was sh*t and if it wasn't for Houllier's continued input while they were joint in charge god knows where we would be by now.  I also think that this is a bit of a desperate thread, why are we focussing on the negative points of our manager's anyway? I thought you knew better JD!

Phil Thompson actually had the best record of any Liverpool 'manager' for his time in charge.

And, I do know better.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,573 posts | 6915 
      Reply #40: Dec 09, 2007 02:05:04 am
      Oh dear oh dear.  I see somebody has thrown in a vote for Rafa tonight.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #41: Dec 09, 2007 03:23:26 am
      Oh dear oh dear.  I see somebody has thrown in a vote for Rafa tonight.
      I question some people's support JD. All of a sudden now, we're in a slump. Expect the press to have a field day if we lose another and some fans to pounce on Rafa's credentials.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,059 posts | 2745 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #42: Dec 09, 2007 10:21:23 am
      someone also voted for Shanks. Looks like we have a couple of dickheads on here. Also note that whoever voted for Shanks and rafa didnt say why they voted them come on dont be shy knobheads
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #43: Dec 10, 2007 01:46:32 pm
      Roy Evans - nice guy, in fact really nice guy off the field... but unfortunately nice guys don't usually bring back home trophies.

Quick Reply