Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Reading v Liverpool - Match Thread

Read 14871 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Re: Reading v Liverpool - Match Thread
      Reply #92: Dec 08, 2007 07:26:56 pm
      Tim Sherwood has just said our season is over if we lose to Man Utd next week. What a F***ing pr**k. I don't hear anyone saying their season is over and they have already lost two games.
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #93: Dec 08, 2007 07:28:08 pm
      Being pissed off doesn't make you fickle. We should have won this game, a few people are annoyed at the subs and having one eye on next weeks games. It's natural to be pissed off when we lose and venting on a forum is a good way to do that. Doesn't make everyone fickle.

Good point. Everyone's entitled to be miffed today for so many different reasons.

One positive as I mentioned before - Cara is available for the Man U match.  ;)
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #94: Dec 08, 2007 07:28:26 pm
      Right before we get all the negative people spouting their usual incoherant retoric on here I would like to point out a few things and yes take some positives out of the game. The only person who has really made a bad error of judgement is Rafa, and I think he will learn from this experience or I hope he does. The tactics tonight were wrong against a team who we have beat easily in the past by using width. Playing 4-3-3 was wrong and we should have had Kewel and Babel/Yossi on from the start and used the width, instead of going up the middle of the park or using Risse and Arbeloa as wing backs.
      If you look at the game in context you will see we didnt actually play that badly and if the penalty that wasnt hadnt been given it would have been a different game, and if Gerrard had scored that curler it would have been a different game and if Crouch had scored that one that hit post it would have been a different game.
      By pusing forward after they got that free kick we were left open at the back and susceptable to counter attack. There are some that will say we were dreadful in the first part of the first half but I think that was just down to player adjustments to the tactics. I for one cannot understand why Rafa went this way when Readings right and left backs are weak and Kewel Babel/Yossi would have probably been more productive.

You have to remember you win some you lose some thats the way football goes, and before those negative tw*ts start spouting about we are out of the title race, oh and they exist in droves in the media trust me, less people forget that the Chavs and the Scum have also lost this season and beleive you me Arsenal will slip up at some point. I urge all my fellow reds to stay positive and look forward to Tuesday where we can make amends for bad result, sh*t happens and sometimes you have to lose to win. CMON YOU RED MEN WE CAN DO IT, I URGE YOU ALL TO DO THE SAME AND GET BEHIND THE TEAM BECAUSE ITS AT TIMES LIKE THIS THEY NEED US.

Thats my 10 pence worth and you know it makes sense.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,027 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #95: Dec 08, 2007 07:28:57 pm
      That was frustrating....
      Annoyed because Sissoko before the sh*t hit the fan started to grow in confidence as the game went on...
      Annoyed because Crouch looked too fragile again.....
      Annoyed because we played like we were waiting for Stevie to pull us out of the hole again....thought those days were behind us...
      Pissed off because the ref is a muppet....
      Confused by Rafa's formation BUT have enough faith in the team and him that by this time next week we will have convincingly delt with Marseilles and Man Utd....

Not good...But you gotta believe.

Crouch didn't bring his A-Game today. Veronin and Torres were the ones that really pulled their weight. Noticed, when Crouch comes in as a sub, he is on fire, When he starts he tends to run out of ideas as the game progresses.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #96: Dec 08, 2007 07:29:23 pm
      Sherwood is a tit of the highest order, you only have to look at the way he threw away his career to establish that.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #97: Dec 08, 2007 07:30:18 pm
      I have a lot of respect for sissoko because i for one do thing he has potential, but its making me think that we can't keep him away from the starting line-up for more than 10 days.  In which case I hope he is sold in January, because we lost fluidity in crucial parts of the game.

Any news on Torres and Gerrard the last thing we want is to lose them for Tuesday.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #98: Dec 08, 2007 07:31:22 pm
      Sherwood is a tit of the highest order, you only have to look at the way he threw away his career to establish that.

Agree Eddie. I'm really getting pissed off with these so called 'experts' on all channels these days. In my opinion there are very few of them actually talk sense anymore.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #99: Dec 08, 2007 07:34:36 pm
      Lets start off with the facts

We were sh*te today
      They got a peno that never was
      We hit the post and the bar

Now I'm going to ask that anybody who comes on here and belittles Rafa the players or the team as a whole to please not come on here on Tuesday after Marseille or Sunday after the mancs and say how great we are after we beat them. Be what a fan should be take that freak result on the chin and move on

Let others write us off like Setanta sports have done but please don't come on and write your team off. First f**k up of the season you will always get one or 2 so keep positive

Roll on Tuesday. Lets pull it around reds

Y.N.W.A  
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #100: Dec 08, 2007 07:35:54 pm
      Reepicheep my fickle comment was aimed at the people who sing rafa's praises one week then call him a c**t the next. I just as much as anyone am pissed off tonight, but I can see that if some dubious decisions hadn't gone against us the result would have been very different.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #101: Dec 08, 2007 07:40:11 pm
      It's shameful that we have such referee and linesman for the game. It's disgraceful. Someone please give them glasses so that they can see better. The FA should immediately carry out an investigation into the game. We don't need these clown referee and lineman to spoil the results.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #102: Dec 08, 2007 07:41:38 pm
      I thought throughout the game it was just one goal for Reading and at least 3 goals for us when considering the penalty decisions.  For me if the game took its natural course it should have been 3-1 to us.  However, its football and the referee's decision made him their man of the match, but it does happen.  
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #103: Dec 08, 2007 07:43:20 pm
      Fair enough Eddie.

I don't like saying that if certain decisions went our way the result would have been different. Shudda Wudda Cudda. If certain decisions went our way we could have won the league every year for the last 20. See what I mean? We didn't win today because we weren't fully focused and tactically we went wrong. Also, Reading weren't as crap as seemed to have expected.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #104: Dec 08, 2007 07:44:04 pm
      Not sure why Torres, Gerrard and Carragher were taken off?

It's a shame.  It's our first defeat - shame it was against a sh*t side but they did outplay us today so fair enough to them.  Team selection I found a bit of a surprise.  Hobbs had a decent game actually - Carragher AGAIN giving away a penalty doesn't help.

To be completely honest - I don't give an enormous sh*t about the Marseille game.  I either want us to get through (obviously) or finish 4th.  I'm not saying the players, or Benitez, were distracted today but Reading is the types of teams we should be beating home and away - especially when we are only getting draws against the other top four sides.

But - our away form has still been decent and there are still plenty of games to go.  We have been guilty so far of taking too many draws.  We can lose occasionally if we start getting all three points in some of those games we are drawing.

I'm off for a pint.
      Hans
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 169 posts | -1 
      Reply #105: Dec 08, 2007 07:48:11 pm
      Yes hans, our title dreams have gone now. There is absolutely no chance we can win the title, after all we're miles away from the leaders.

Oh, hang on a second we're not. Was Utd's season over after losing to Bolton? I'm sure no-one thought that, but it's no different to our current situation.

Probably yourè right,but it hurts watching the table position.......
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #106: Dec 08, 2007 08:05:29 pm
      One of those games we weren't meant to get anything from I reckon. Important three points lost though.

The team that went out should have been able to beat Reading, including subs made. Only thing that bothered me, as Prag has already pointed out, was our system. Just seemed a bit too narrow. Some quality from either wing would have been more effective.

The ref obviously makes Mr Madejski's wigs because there was some shocking decisions today. Being denied by the bar and the post was gutting as well. Give Reading some credit though, they had a go at us.

If there was a warning sign for complacency setting into any players, then this was it.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #107: Dec 08, 2007 08:08:51 pm
      Why not make yourselves all feel better by doing something about this thread

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,5122.0.html
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #108: Dec 08, 2007 08:22:06 pm
      Well im well and truly peeved off mostly with Rafa today his team selection left a lot to be desired for to say the least why playin Vorronin and Crouch out wide?after weve been playing so well lately why change things?And why take Gerrard off when you are losing?These sort of games are what utimatly costs you the title if Utd or Arsenal were to play Reading theyd steam roller them 3 or 4 nil.
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #109: Dec 08, 2007 09:25:54 pm
      This is our first defeat in the league this season.Some people think the title is gone which is premature,to say the least.Now the debates starts why we lost; for me it's a mixture of things (ref decisions,bad luck (hit bar and post)the system(maybe),Torres going off injured and don't forget to give reading credit they battled hard and took advantage of our misfortunes .

Positives for me Harry Kewell  looked extremely creative when he came on,Jack Hobbs had a decent game.Anyone see Carra's one-two with Kewell ,nice to see and was my highlight of the match,Gerrard again immense.

Riise was extremely poor again (apart from the free-kick) numerous crossing opportunities wasted,aimless long throws and corners,Sissoko was usual self.
      For me Benitez was forced to concetrate on the marseille game ,cause of fears he would lose his job if we don't qualify ( F****** thanks G+H) because Rafa said the league was his priority at the start of the season.

IN RAFA WE TRUST                    YNWA
      stellaakasugar
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #110: Dec 09, 2007 12:41:27 am
      Its one game at the end of the day, of course it wasnt a great game, but we always come back well from any defeat.
      Think we will do well come Tuesday

Cmon you Reds *****
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #111: Dec 09, 2007 02:18:38 am
      well  i am back from the pub eddie took all the sh*t stood up gave a bit back all my mates and my boss expecting us to fall ao tues well i am not cmon you red men give it some make us proud yet again ynwa
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #112: Dec 09, 2007 02:21:48 am
      Fair play mate, don't worry we'll bounce back!
      Timi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 608 posts |
      Reply #113: Dec 09, 2007 06:23:16 am
      All Good Things (Come To an End)
      I don’t know how many of you bought Nelly Furtado’s album from last year ‘Loose’, but on it you will find the rather appealing ditty that shares the same title with this humble little piece.
      Granted Miss Furtado’s song has as much in common with Liverpool FC as the Bahamas have with snow, but the sentiments echoed in that song should be ringing true with just about every Liverpool fan right about now.
      I like most watched in horror as the match against Reading, a game we were primed to win with as great a depth of margin as we have shown to our opponents in recent times, was turned on its ear with the gift of a farcical penalty, and a 12th man in the guise of a referee who would not have been out of place sporting the blue and white of the proud faithful at The Madejski.
      And boy does it hurt that as the evening wore on, it became abundantly clear, what with the woodwork first denying Gerrard and then Crouch, that Lady Luck was not planning on making an appearance on Liverpool’s side of the pitch at all. No, she was wining and dining our boys from Reading on the other side in a style to which, it must be said, they have not become accustomed of late.
      Were the calls bad, yes you bet they were.
      Were Reading a tad fortunate? I would say so...
      But the truth of the matter is, daft as it might sound, in hindsight I believe it was just simply our turn to lose. We could have played on for a week, and I don’t think the result would have been much different. Ok, Reading might have poached a few more goals perhaps, but nothing would have turned the tide in our favour.

But what was to blame for a loss that was as spectacular in its result as our recent form has been utterly mind bogglingly brilliant in its substance? What accounts for a 3-1 loss to a team that quite frankly have more in common with the Championship than The Premiership?

Shall we talk complacency?
      Perhaps, for I, like many LFC fans, believed that the final result would have Reading on the wrong side of the same score line if not far worse. As such it is not inconceivable that some of the players harboured similar thoughts with one eye (ok, maybe in some cases both) on our next so called bigger games against Man U and Marseille.
      Was it team selection? Doubtful. Benitez for my money chose pretty much the right team for what should have been a fair stroll. Sure Reading have in the past shown they are nobody’s mugs, but against Liverpool? Well for one thing they were never in danger of outplaying our men from Anfield, and there is no one, not even those who fully enjoyed the experience of watching Liverpool been downed 1-3, who could claim that that was the case on the night.
      Not even Sissoko’s abysmal passing (by the way someone should remind the lad that his team mates usually wear red and always with the legend ‘Carlsberg” clearly written on them rather than jerseys sporting “Kyocera”, “AIG” or “Samsung” and the like) can account for the shocking score line.

It’s difficult not to become a tad philosophical about a bizarre match such as this, where we were much the better team on paper and in reality, the instances of those penalties (their one gained to our lord knows how many denied) bearing this out.

But however painful it might seem, however unfair and incomprehensible to our sense of reason, we must realise that this game was not by any means season defining. It simply went against us and by so doing we ‘earned’ our first loss this term-an unbeaten streak wiped out, and on this 8th day of December, 2007; we could have met the first eleven of Boston FC and I firmly believe we still would have lost!  (Do they have a first eleven by the way?)Anyway, it was quite simply one of those days and Reading fair dues to them made capital as the circumstances presented.

You can call it Karma if one must put it into some sort of context, but get over it we must as losses against Marseille or Man United in the coming week could result in an all too early end to our Champions League aspirations (wouldn’t the papers simply love that headline come Wednesday) in the case of the former, and too many disastrous implications in the case of the latter.
      So, do I like witnessing another loss to another also-ran team we probably should have beaten? Certainly not.
      But will I accept it, yes for in reality I fail to see any other option...after all, all good things must come to an end....right?

kenneth
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #114: Dec 09, 2007 09:03:14 am
      hello forum,
      first time being here. I am 36 yrs old although not from liverpool i am passionate like everyone Liverpool fan who love this club and is so close to his heart. I am really pissed by what happened yesterday i agree the formation was not the one i was looking for but the ref for me should have been banned for refeering in the priemership. Before we start to slate Rafa and others if u look at the game we had 3 blatant penalties not given, we hit the post 2 times, Reading penalty was inexistant!!!!  I cant believe how the hell he can referee a game again. he was absolutely a joker not knowing what the hell is happeneing. Sonko should have been sent off for fouling Torres , nothing. I think we should look at some decisions here, Like Rafa said in the begining of the season, no one will help us we have to fight to win games. Now we need to get ourselves focused and be ready for Marseille game it will be a disaster financially and morally if we lose against them. I hope i will be able to post more and also not hearing negative comments like i hear on IC Liverpool Forum i am really annoyed hearing such comments against our manager and players.

YNWA

Quick Reply