Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Capello the man for England?

Read 7179 times
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Capello the man for England?
      Dec 12, 2007 05:16:18 pm
      Finally looks like it is sorted, FA and Capello in talks over the job. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7137847.stm

Capello and England set for talks
      Italian Capello has won domestic titles in both Italy and Spain
      Italian Fabio Capello is set to begin talks about becoming the new England coach, BBC Sport understands.

A deal could be sealed within days if discussions with Football Association chief executive Brian Barwick go well.

Capello, 61, could arrive in England on Wednesday, and it is reported that his son, Pierfilippo Capello, who acts as his agent, has flown into England.

Ex-Real Madrid, Juventus, Roma and AC Milan boss Capello has received glowing references from top names in football.

Interview: Fabio Capello (Football Focus on 24/11/07)
      Interview: Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger

According to BBC Radio 5 Live football correspondent Jonathan Legard, negotiations between Capello, Barwick and Sir Trevor Brooking, the FA's director of development, could happen on Wednesday evening.

606: DEBATE
      Lippi would be my personal choice, but Capello hardly comes in a poor second

BBC Sport's Phil McNulty

"I am also told that much of the contractual work has already been handled on his behalf by the Italian super-agent Giovanni Branchini, a man who is renowned for his tough talking, high-profile deal-making," added Legard.

"I am also told Branchini has gone to Tokyo already for the World Club Championship, which suggests that much of the work has been done already.

"It is the first time the pair have worked together and could be an indication of Capello's determination to make things happen with the FA.

"Sources at Soho Square continue to insist there's no timescale until Messrs Barwick and Brooking have their face-to-face meeting with Capello.

"I understand the FA are confident of other options should there be a breakdown but that doesn't appear to be in the minds of either of the key parties at the moment."

Marcello Lippi, who steered Italy to success in the 2006 World Cup, is thought to be Capello's main rival for the job.

Jose Mourinho was the favourite to succeed McClaren, who was sacked after England failed to qualify for Euro 2008, but the former Chelsea boss pulled out of the running.

Capello has won nine league titles in 16 years as a coach, picking up silverware with all four clubs he has been in charge of.

He won the Champions League with Milan in 1994 and was also an accomplished player, winning 32 caps as a midfielder for the national team.

Clarence Seedorf, who was part of the Real Madrid side that pipped Barcelona to the La Liga title under Capello in 1997, says his former manager is a proven winner and has a track record of getting players to play to their full potential.

The only problem he could have, I don't know how good his English is. But the technical job, you don't have to worry about him

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger

"One of his major qualities is to get the best out of his players, to make sure everyone is committed to the team's goals," the 31-year-old told Radio 5 Live.

"He is very, very specific in what he wants and very clear what he wants from every player.

"Sometimes he really pushes you to the limits and that, of course, has proven effective.

"When the focus is on the training, then he really expects 100% and not less.

"He would rather have less quality but committed players rather than quality players who are not committed.

"But he is also very experienced with great players and is able to get the best out of them."

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger believes England could not choose a better-qualified coach but expressed concern about the Italian's grasp of English, which is said to be limited.

"Capello is a strong character," confirmed Wenger.

"He has a clear idea of what he wants. I believe as well he's a strong winner. The guy is convinced of the methods he uses. The quality of the candidate is outstanding.

"The only problem he could have, I don't know how good his English is. A big part of the job is to deal with the media.

"But the technical job, you don't have to worry about him."

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is another fan of Capello.

"To manage a national team you need to be a certain age with plenty of experience and with a presence and a CV that is indisputable and Capello has all of that," said the Scot.

Giancarlo Galavotti, London correspondent for Gazzetta dello Sport, believes that a deal between Capello and the FA could be struck by the end of the week.

"Of course they have not yet sat together to discuss all the details but it appears that, barring anything absolutely dramatic, I would say that possibly by the end of the week everything will be sealed, " he said.

"If England go for a foreign coach there is hardly anyone better than him.

I would say that his credentials are incredible. If the class of Fabio Capello fails then it is very worrying for the England national team

Italian journalist Giancarlo Galavotti

"I would say he is more of a Sir Alex Ferguson sort of character.

"He is very much his own man, very much wants to win and if winning means to set aside players or even staff who have been with him for many years he will do that because he has got only one aim and that is to win.

"I would say that his credentials are incredible. If the class of Fabio Capello fails then it is very worrying for the England national team."

Capello was sacked by Real in June, despite guiding them to La Liga crown and since then, he has been working as a commentator for Italian television company RAI.

According to BBC sources, RAI have already begun the search for his replacement, seemingly convinced he is about to be given the England job.

Former Chelsea star Gianfranco Zola has voiced his support for Capello, saying he "possesses the ideal pedigree to create a new era of success for England".

He added: "Even when Jose Mourinho was in the running I believed that Capello had even more charisma, talent and experience for a challenging job like this one."

McClaren was sacked on 22 November after England failed to qualify for next year's European Championship.

Chelsea and England midfielder Frank Lampard has also spoken positively about Capello.

"It's very important for the England manager we pick to have a big personality with a big history," said Lampard.

"Capello certainly has that with the titles he's won at all levels of football.

"I don't know who the manager is going to be. If it's Capello, he's the kind of personality I think England needs."

----

Does anyone disagree with Capello being England manager? Looking at his history he looks the most reliable candidate.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Re: Capello the man for England?
      Reply #1: Dec 12, 2007 06:44:28 pm
      What did I say?!

Hate to say it but... TOLD YOU SO!  :D
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #2: Dec 12, 2007 06:46:01 pm
      What did I say?!

Hate to say it but... TOLD YOU SO!  :D

People i know were laughing at me when i said it would be Capello ahead of Mourinho etc. But now whos Laughing????!!!!???? Well they probably are for some reason but anyways ;D
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #3: Dec 12, 2007 06:48:15 pm
      Glad he's in the frame, cant be any worse than the sh*t thats been managing already, great track record, so good luck to him if he takes the job  ;)
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #4: Dec 13, 2007 12:01:47 pm
      It will be funny to see  how it will work Italian coach with English players.
      Italian temperament with English imperturbability!
      What language will they speak to each other? :laugh:
      Cy
      Reply #5: Dec 13, 2007 01:15:51 pm
      I really can't get my head around the fact that England cannot appoint a English man again. Okay Mc laren was rubbish but there are surely English managers who could do the job. I find it so odd that, I know it is different but France would never appointing somebody else than a French, Italy wouldn't either Spain either..What is it with England?...So the savior of England will be an...Italian???...Capello is an outstanding candidate and a great great coach..but for me once again not having an English man in charge means that it is not really England...I'm a bit old fashion on that maybe, but that is how I feel...
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #6: Dec 13, 2007 03:03:02 pm
      Im just glad it isnt Mourinho people will say it should be a english man but look at the bigger picture what suburb of London does Arsene Wenger come from,or where in manchester was Ferguson born even Rafa hes not a scouser and we dont hear the same arguments do we?
      Cy
      Reply #7: Dec 13, 2007 05:53:27 pm
      Im just glad it isnt Mourinho people will say it should be a english man but look at the bigger picture what suburb of London does Arsene Wenger come from,or where in manchester was Ferguson born even Rafa hes not a scouser and we dont hear the same arguments do we?
      off course we don't because it is not the ENGLISH side...when you are playing in a world cup, you represent your country...you have to compare what is comparable..
      Cy
      Reply #8: Dec 13, 2007 08:01:23 pm
      So it looks like it is for real then Capello is the new english boss, I also understand that he will have a full italian team around him...People are moaning and talking a lot about too many foreigners in the Premier League but  the FA is appointing a foreigner at the head of the England squad, not to mention allowing him to get a full iatlian team around him....hummmm...quite paradoxal that..what it says to me is..English managers are not strong enough to coach England..don't you guys think there is something wrong there too?...I couldn't care less mind you, I support France..;)...I cannot wait for the next England Vs Italy competitive game..really...I can't..
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #9: Dec 13, 2007 08:29:20 pm
      off course we don't because it is not the ENGLISH side...when you are playing in a world cup, you represent your country...you have to compare what is comparable..

I 100% agree I would have preferred someone like Harry Redknapp who in my eyes has a great passion for the game and would transfer that when coaching his country, where he learnt his trade, where he lives, the language he speaks, players he has coached before and understands better.  When I first heard that it may be Capello I just switched off I don't really care anymore who coaches England as I have lost all faith in the national side since MaClaren was allowed to make us look like a laughing stock.  We will be playing Italian football in England's skin 3 lions? more like 3 luigi's! :(
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #10: Dec 13, 2007 08:31:23 pm
      Glad he's in the frame, cant be any worse than the sh*t thats been managing already, great track record, so good luck to him if he takes the job  ;)

Not keen on McClaren then Smiggs? >:D

I really can't get my head around the fact that England cannot appoint a English man again. Okay Mc laren was rubbish but there are surely English managers who could do the job.

I find it so odd that, I know it is different but France would never appointing somebody else than a French, Italy wouldn't either Spain either..What is it with England?...So the savior of England will be an...Italian???...Capello is an outstanding candidate and a great great coach..but for me once again not having an English man in charge means that it is not really England...I'm a bit old fashion on that maybe, but that is how I feel...

Like Who?

Do you know someone English who is as good as or better than Capello?

Have France and Italy not won anything for 41 years?

Maybe we are fed up of being also rans in International Football.

I 100% agree I would have preferred someone like Harry Redknapp who in my eyes has a great passion for the game and would transfer that when coaching his country, where he learnt his trade, where he lives, the language he speaks, players he has coached before and understands better.  When I first heard that it may be Capello I just switched off I don't really care anymore who coaches England as I have lost all faith in the national side since MaClaren was allowed to make us look like a laughing stock.  We will be playing Italian football in England's skin 3 lions? more like 3 luigi's! :(

As I've said before I think Redknapp and Coppull are the only half decent contenders.  I don't think Coppull has enough experience yet and Redknapp would be bombarded with accusations about his transfer dealings from day 1 by the gutter press eager to sell their crappy rags.

Redknapp would be mad to have anything to do with it.
      « Last Edit: Dec 13, 2007 08:38:02 pm by Oldred »
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #11: Dec 13, 2007 08:33:44 pm
      What i heard on SSN is even stranger - apparently he does not like white shirts - what colour do England play in ;D
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #12: Dec 13, 2007 08:39:17 pm
      What I heard on SSN is even stranger - apparently he does not like white shirts - what colour do England play in ;D

I've always liked Red. :)
      « Last Edit: Dec 13, 2007 08:41:34 pm by Oldred »
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #13: Dec 13, 2007 08:53:33 pm

I believe Italy won the world cup last year

As I've said before I think Redknapp and Coppull are the only half decent contenders.  I don't think Coppull has enough experience yet and Redknapp would be bombarded with accusations about his transfer dealings from day 1 by the gutter press eager to sell their crappy rags.

Redknapp would be mad to have anything to do with it.

I bet he'd do 10 times as much as MaClaren ever did and he actually gets more results for his clubs than mediocre steve "scrape through and hope no one notices" so OK he had a little success at Boro but how long did that last? more of a fluke than a tactical genius I'd say.
      « Last Edit: Dec 13, 2007 08:55:39 pm by AJ »
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #14: Dec 13, 2007 09:07:35 pm
      I also believe that Englands away kit is red, wearing that more often?
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #15: Dec 13, 2007 09:48:43 pm

I bet he'd do 10 times as much as MaClaren ever did and he actually gets more results for his clubs than mediocre steve "scrape through and hope no one notices" so OK he had a little success at Boro but how long did that last? more of a fluke than a tactical genius I'd say.

But McClaren achieved nothing so ten times that is still nothing >:D

I do like Harry Redknapp but the press would give him a torrid time.  I still think he would have been mad to get involved.

I also believe that Englands away kit is red, wearing that more often?

Oh for f*cks sake! :dunceblock:
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #16: Dec 13, 2007 09:50:32 pm
      But the deciding question on the application form was :  Have you got your own umbrella ?  :lmao:
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #17: Dec 13, 2007 09:59:24 pm
      But the deciding question on the application form was :  Have you got your own umbrella ?  :lmao:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I wonder if it's blue and white by any chance? ;D
      Cy
      Reply #18: Dec 13, 2007 09:59:39 pm

I might understand wrongly what you are saying but France won the Euro 1984 and 2000, World Cup in 1998. Finalist in 2006 lost to....Italy..which lost the Euro 2000 in final to....err France..

The bottom line for me is that if it's England playing, then the coach should be English. Now I heard you,. who will be candidate?..well there many Hoodle, Venables, Rednkapp to name only them..
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #19: Dec 13, 2007 10:01:59 pm
      Cy, I think you missed the point there matey, OldRed was just pointing out that they HAD won !!  It was said tongue in cheek  ;) :D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #20: Dec 13, 2007 10:18:54 pm
      Let's face it. The FA are desperate for being successful in a tournament. They believe they have the English players to win something, but they need someone with the guidance and discipline to make them play as a team. For me, Redknapp could achieve this. But Capello has a better record as a manager and he might not mind a camera up his arse watching every move he does, every single day, as much as Redknapp.
      I wonder if it weren't for our disgraceful press whether we just might have seen an english manager get the job.

One thing is for sure. I doubt we'll see a media driven team selection in the future under Capello.
      Cy
      Reply #21: Dec 13, 2007 10:21:51 pm
      Cy, I think you missed the point there matey, OldRed was just pointing out that they HAD won !!  It was said tongue in cheek  ;) :D
      Excusez-moi then.. ;). ;D ;D...I did start by saying that maybe I  understood wrongly..he he..sorry then Oldred..and good points redkenny..
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #22: Dec 13, 2007 11:02:47 pm
      Does anyone disagree with Capello being England manager? Looking at his history he looks the most reliable candidate.

Just got this from CNN: England is turning to Italian Fabio Capello to coach its football team ....... His quest? Restore pride to a team that recently failed to qualify for a major tournament since 1994....... he should be better than Steve McCLaren...

Gerrard: I thinks the job to coach an English team should go to an English manager.

Kier Radnedge (World Soccer magazine): There is no English Manager good enough to Coach the English team.

Personally, I think there are English Managers that would have been able to do the job.
      « Last Edit: Dec 13, 2007 11:19:36 pm by solodee »
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #23: Dec 14, 2007 12:41:41 am
      I think it's a wise decision...no English manager would withstand the pressure that the 'media' place on the 'England manager'. Sven didn't last because he 'got into bed' with a few of the England players & then began picking teams on names not merit.

There is no chance of that happening with FC...he is his own man & will make strong if not unpopular decisions. Like getting Terry, Rio & Lamps out of their comfort zones by dropping them if need be...I really hope Lamps is dropped ;)
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #24: Dec 14, 2007 08:45:53 am
      who gives a sh*t, Im scouse not english, I really dont care.
      Italians with specs wont make you stop and stare
      Boring Football that will be assured
      As 1-0 defeats with defending makes me bored.

Giving a guy 10 million quid your asking for a slob
      Now dont get me wrong but wasnt he out of F***ing a job?
      His attitude stinks he will be up in arms like most italians he has no charms.
      But wait a minute, hasnt enough gone wrong perhaps those bitter english fans will make him a song.
      But like I said right at the start and to be fair.
      I REALLY JUST DONT F***ing CARE!!

Yeah I know but its early morning and its all I could come up with. ;D
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #25: Dec 14, 2007 09:05:28 am

But wait a minute, hasnt enough gone wrong perhaps those bitter english fans will make him a song.

All I can do about that is laugh and think of me the other week when I had a hangover ;D
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #26: Dec 14, 2007 05:20:49 pm
      Well looks like he was the right choice. Confirmed at http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7137847.stm . Tough job actually making England good though.
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #27: Dec 14, 2007 05:27:59 pm
      Why are you so worried to see England coaching by foreigner?
      Look not only at France or Italy. They always have had many good managers. Let's see top clubs of Italy or whole Seria A.
      How many foreign managers do you find there?
      But why aren't Greece or Russia worried about it?
      the same with Portugal, Poland etc.
      It's not nationality but how to make players move or do something.
      If a manager can motivate players and make them proud of wearing England T-shirt and representing that country not another.
      When players play for country for its pride it's more than a job then.how to make them feel that?
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #28: Dec 14, 2007 07:58:54 pm
      But McClaren achieved nothing so ten times that is still nothing >:D

but he's ENGLISH! :P and anyone's gotta be better than MaClaren

Spot on my son! spot on
      slimdogg
      • Forum John Barnes

• 407 posts |
      Reply #29: Dec 17, 2007 12:09:35 pm
      My daughter says Capello looks like Postman Pat What do you think?
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #30: Dec 17, 2007 09:56:07 pm
      My daughter says Capello looks like Postman Pat What do you think?

Very good slim :D

Quick Reply