Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Most Influential LFC Player this Decade

Read 2510 times
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Most Influential LFC Player this Decade
      Dec 16, 2007 01:17:58 am
      So I was thinking the other day we have had a good run so far in the "Naughties" but what I can't decide is on 1 particular season where we have had a player who is more demanding in his job, wants success that little bit more and who will not stop until he knows he has done all he can for the club and motivate his team mates to such a level where they feel it would be rude not too push that little bit more.  A name that keeps popping into my head is Gerrard and you can easily see why to this day after the Champions League final, FA Cup final and the respective build ups to these two cup wins not to mention the historic triple in 2001 (of which I call the Quad as we actually won the charity shield and Super cup too)

Another player I like to think has done a similar job is Carragher who I feel would easily fill any part of Gerrard's job with the same passion and in some games shows why he can rise higher than Gerrard too.  I would also like to say that Riise is maybe 1 of the current players who has had a big part in the last decade and all our success's and used to get really good assists and some scorching goals like the smasher he got against United back in 2001 you know the one the free kick to make it 2-0 in the premiership about November/December I think

No? ok hold on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjy1PmfGANs&feature=related

It's stuff like that goal that makes a player proud to play for this club everytime he See's his name on the sheet.

Another player who crops to mind is the ever faithful Sami Hyypia with his hawk eye for spotting the early balls and killing them before the attacker can get a enough space to latch onto class guy is our Sami good head too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt68zmrgc6I

Then there is Mr goal machine himself Michael Owen who has done a hell of a lot for this club in the years he was here including the Quad season and notably his two late goals against Arsenal in the 2001 FA Cup final.  Has he done enough to be hailed the most influential player in the last 10 years? maybe, maybe.

Dietmar Hamann almost surely deserves a mention too as he has been hugely effective in the FA Cup final (2001 and 2006) and Champions League final and is a credit to any team.

I guess you could call the above players old school and that but if it were not for their individual success's I reckon we would not be in the position we are in now and maybe in a couple of years time we will look back at the current players and say "yeah they have been well class the last few years" and only then can you even begin to compare them to the players above.

Your thoughts please ladies and gents (oh maybe a member of the charming and ever helpful admin team could add a poll with the above players so we can get a better idea of what everyone thinks)

« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2007 01:20:06 am by AJ »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Most Influential LFC Player this Decade
      Reply #1: Dec 16, 2007 07:27:40 am
      AJ they are all good choices for player of the decade but i feel Owen blotted his copybook with both ends of the Real Madrid saga so he would not get the player of the decade.I think if you look at Istanbul Didi Hamanns  and Dudeks Heroics in the penalty shootout would bring them into the reckoning. I will go for Sammi Hypia for all out effort in defence and he is not afraid to get stuck in ,in attack.You dont hear of any complaints if he is not in the team,he also helps the younger lads even though they are lined up to take his place.Hypia is RED through and through and gets my vote as player of the decade.( thats if there was a vote. )
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #2: Dec 16, 2007 07:53:41 am
      I don't think you can look past Gerrard as our player of the decade for the naughties. He has saved us on countless occasions and won us trophies on his own, notibly the FA cup 2006 where he scored a double and an assist and more notibly the Champions League final where he scored and also I think won the penaltly that Alonso scored from but I'm sure if I'm wrong about this someone will correct me! I shouldn't be wrong though because I have the dvd but I've had a bit to drink so forgive me if I am ;) He also played in every position on the pitch on that night including right back where he made numerous interceptions and exceptional tackles. According to me and the length of time I have followed Liverpool, Gerrard is the best player I have ever seen!! I worship the ground he walks on btw and realistacally think he will be the greatest ever player by the time he retires!! ;)

But I couldn't discount Carragher displacing him as he has been a rock in defence since I can remember!! He gives his all every match and whereas I think Gerrard has went missing in certain games, I can't remember Carra never giving 100% and ever backing out of a challenge!! Also players like Riise, Hamann, Dudek, Henchoz, Babbel and Finnan have been great servants to the club and have been instrumental to the success we have had in this decade. One player I would like to mention is Gary Mac, who I think is the best signing Houllier ever made. He scored some great goals and played in some great games!! He was absolutely amazing in us beating Alaves in the Uefa Cup final and also scoring a spectacular injury time winner against the bluenoses a while back!! A real legend of the club and an unsung hero in my eyes!

Of course Michael Owen is a legend and always will be for his goalscoring exploits but like many fans, I can never forgive him for turning his back on us when Real came calling! We stuck through all his injuries and he was a matchwinner in his day. A great player but he could have been greater and I bet he knows it now. Winning the Champs League in the same year he left us was was sweet and probs a good way to remind him of the huge mistake in leaving us!! So many legends in this decade and one in the making in Torres this year and for many years to come ;)
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #3: Dec 16, 2007 08:25:35 am
      I don't think you can look past Gerrard as our player of the decade for the naughties. He has saved us on countless occasions and won us trophies on his own, notibly the FA cup 2006 where he scored a double and an assist and more notibly the Champions League final where he scored and also I think won the penaltly that Alonso scored from but I'm sure if I'm wrong about this someone will correct me! I shouldn't be wrong though because I have the dvd but I've had a bit to drink so forgive me if I am ;) He also played in every position on the pitch on that night including right back where he made numerous interceptions and exceptional tackles. According to me and the length of time I have followed Liverpool, Gerrard is the best player I have ever seen!! I worship the ground he walks on btw and realistacally think he will be the greatest ever player by the time he retires!! ;)

But I couldn't discount Carragher displacing him as he has been a rock in defence since I can remember!! He gives his all every match and whereas I think Gerrard has went missing in certain games, I can't remember Carra never giving 100% and ever backing out of a challenge!! Also players like Riise, Hamann, Dudek, Henchoz, Babbel and Finnan have been great servants to the club and have been instrumental to the success we have had in this decade. One player I would like to mention is Gary Mac, who I think is the best signing Houllier ever made. He scored some great goals and played in some great games!! He was absolutely amazing in us beating Alaves in the Uefa Cup final and also scoring a spectacular injury time winner against the bluenoses a while back!! A real legend of the club and an unsung hero in my eyes!

Of course Michael Owen is a legend and always will be for his goalscoring exploits but like many fans, I can never forgive him for turning his back on us when Real came calling! We stuck through all his injuries and he was a matchwinner in his day. A great player but he could have been greater and I bet he knows it now. Winning the Champs League in the same year he left us was was sweet and probs a good way to remind him of the huge mistake in leaving us!! So many legends in this decade and one in the making in Torres this year and for many years to come ;)
      Can you read minds or something!!! I agree anyways
      AJ
      • Started Topic

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #4: Dec 16, 2007 10:59:58 am
      One player I would like to mention is Gary Mac, who I think is the best signing Houllier ever made. He scored some great goals and played in some great games!! He was absolutely amazing in us beating Alaves in the Uefa Cup final and also scoring a spectacular injury time winner against the bluenoses a while back!! A real legend of the club and an unsung hero in my eyes!

I agree with you on Gary Mac I still remember the goal he scored against Barca when we beat them 1-0 in the uefa cup semis 2001 to take us through he certainly was a player and a half and so much energy for a older guy too, in fact was he not THE eldest player in that game if my memory serves me well (pls correct me if I am wrong) although you would not have known based on the way he played in that game.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #5: Dec 16, 2007 12:28:41 pm
      Gerrard is my No 1 choice here
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #6: Dec 16, 2007 12:53:46 pm
      It has to be Gerrard.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #7: Dec 16, 2007 04:58:38 pm
      Gerrard has to be up there! You only have to think back on how many of his goals have pulled us out of a bad spot! Istanbul, Olympiakos, West Ham.... The list goes on! ;)

But there's also the Sami Hyypia and Stephane Henchoz partnership at the back during the Treble winning season! They were immense! ;D And Gary Mac was influential!
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #8: Dec 16, 2007 05:28:59 pm
      Señor Esteban Gerrado.
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #9: Dec 16, 2007 11:12:50 pm
       Michael Owen(you can blame me I'm not true Liverpool fan, but I can forgive)
      Moreover thanks to him I knew about LiverpoolFC and started supporting the team as many other people from former U.S.S.R. of my generation.
      Steven Gerrard is clear choice.He has already proved everything for the club.
      I could to write their names in Russian way as Donrafael though the names mustn't be translated: Mihail Owenov and Stepan Gerrardov
      curse
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 117 posts | -1 
      • Torres = GOALS!!
      Reply #10: Dec 17, 2007 12:03:39 pm
      I am gonna have to agree with these people but i am not going to be afraid to give their real names because Owen was fantastic for us and Gerrard still is the only thing that seperates them is that Gerrard is still here and still leads the team every match he plays (well 98% at least) However the three most influential lfc players of the last decade are Michael Owen in third place Jamie Carragher in third for his fantastic never say die attitude and effort and Steven Gerrard a long way in the lead taking up first place and if this needs any justification look back at all of the games he has played in over the last decade
      benforrest
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts | -8 
      Reply #11: Dec 17, 2007 12:31:52 pm
      Carra, it has to be, that is a place in Liverpool which you cannot replace, you cannot buy another player who has the skill and passion for Liverpool, Okay Gerrard is another irreplacable player and his committment is brilliant but he just isn't as loud as Carra on the pitch. The way that Carragher has made so many last man tackles which have saved goals just gives you a feeling like you've scored a goal. But then Gerrard does score and gets back and defends well. It's close, but Carra is just so good and doesn't get praised as often as a striker or midfielder.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #12: Dec 18, 2007 02:47:29 pm
      Got to be Stevie hes scored in just about every cup final hes played in and hes saved us so many times.
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #13: Dec 18, 2007 02:51:29 pm
      Carragher for me. He drives out from the back four defends like an ox, is the hardest bastad in the team by far and is a humble man to boot.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #14: Dec 18, 2007 03:30:35 pm
      Carragher - every you want from the best Liverpool and England Captain we never had....

Top bloke, top pro.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,885 posts | 6817 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #15: Dec 19, 2007 06:07:56 am
      Stevie for me, I'll never forget that goal against Olympiacos that sent us on our way to winning no 5 and also for that FA cup final against the Hammers. My best mate and his 3 kids are all Hammers and they would never have let me forget about it. Now I don't let them forget about it. ;) Cheers Stevie.

Quick Reply