Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

G & H Meeting looks positive - Press Statement 16/12/07

Read 3149 times
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      G & H Meeting looks positive - Press Statement 16/12/07
      Dec 16, 2007 09:00:33 pm
      Look forward to reading the finer details when they're published

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N158086071216-2014.htm

Liverpool FC issued the following press statement on Sunday night.
      A meeting was held this evening involving Tom Hicks, George Gillett, Foster Gillett, Rick Parry and Rafa Benitez which was wide ranging and positive.

The discussions were amicable and constructive. All those present are united in their desire to bring further success to the club.
      MsGerrard
      Re: G & H Meeting looks positive - Press Statement 16/12/07
      Reply #1: Dec 16, 2007 09:26:39 pm

A meeting was held this evening involving Tom Hicks, George Gillett, Foster Gillett, Rick Parry and Rafa Benitez which was wide ranging and positive.

The discussions were amicable and constructive. All those present are united in their desire to bring further success to the club.

This is good news Smiggs, after today's result.
      This is what we want to hear.....good positive thoughts  :)
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #2: Dec 16, 2007 10:35:44 pm

This is good news Smiggs, after today's result.
      This is what we want to hear.....good positive thoughts  :)

Couldnt agree more something positive at last I have to also add I think that our illustrious owners saw how tight this was today. And hopefull relize that to beat them more convincling we need some extra sources of game invention.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,655 posts | 6949 
      Reply #3: Dec 17, 2007 12:03:14 am
      It would have made better reading if the following was added.

'The board added that Manchester United are the poxiest bunch of cu*ts ever and we will not stop until they are forced to eat our sh*t.'

Or was I expecting too much?
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #4: Dec 17, 2007 12:28:10 am

'The board added that Manchester United are the poxiest bunch of cu*ts ever and we will not stop until they are forced to eat our sh*t.'

Of course not! ;)

You can garauntee it would have been on the agenda though! ;)
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #5: Dec 17, 2007 07:13:22 am

Its a pity that the statement didnt also say that transfer funds will be made available to RAFA to get a good winger( preferably a left winger.)
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #6: Dec 17, 2007 07:35:03 am

Christmas wish list?? I fear
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #7: Dec 17, 2007 11:05:22 am

Nope. quite reasonable I'd say   :D
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #8: Dec 17, 2007 11:58:03 am
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #9: Dec 17, 2007 12:03:35 pm

Yeah it worked fine Solodee! ;)

George Gillett: We’re right behind Rafa Benitez
      Dec 17 2007 by Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

GEORGE Gillett gave Rafa Benitez his unequivocal backing after Liverpool’s American owners held clear the air talks with the Reds boss at Anfield.

Benitez met with Gillett, co-owner Tom Hicks, Foster Gillett and Rick Parry for three hours following the 1-0 home defeat to Man United and the outcome was positive with all involved agreeing to bury their differences and work together for the good of the club.

And Parry today told the ECHO the club is still totally committed to delivering a stadium which the fans can be proud of, despite having to axe the futuristic design launched in the summer because of rising costs.

In an address to the Liverpool Former Players Association at a city centre hotel - just hours after talks with Benitez - George Gillett spoke of his regret over the fall out with the Spaniard but insisted his immediate future at the club is secure.

He told an audience of Liverpool playing legends: “This wasn’t supposed to happen, but it has happened, and now the focus has to be on finding a common platform to continue our co-operation.

“Rafa is the one we want as a manager further on, and we have faith in him.

“I’ve been married over 40 years and have first hand knowledge about how to solve an argument!

“We concentrated on getting an overview over the situation, and I felt we accomplished that.”

Gillett was guarded about the imminent opening of the transfer window but spoke again about his role as a custodian of the club.

He added: “The transfer window opens soon and we might use the option that gives us, or we might not.

“Liverpool is a great club. We are well aware that we have something very valuable on our hands.

“Liverpool is not our club, it’s your club. The supporters’ club. It’s always been that way, and it will always be that way.”

Meanwhile, Rick Parry today admitted Liverpool have had to shelve their futuristic stadium design for Stanley Park because of spiralling costs, not due to the credit crunch in America, as reported elsewhere.

Liverpool are now considering their options but Parry moved to reassure fans that the club remains confident that a new stadium will be delivered in time for the start of the 2011/2012 season, in keeping with the original timescale.

He said: “We are now considering two schemes but the stadium will be a 70,000 seater.

“The new stadium will be a significant improvement on the original plans and a slightly downgraded version of the new ones.

“And it will be a massive improvement on where we were 12 months ago, if not quite as dramatic as the plans unveiled in the summer.

“The single tier Kop remains fundamental to the design and we are not expecting any delays – it should be on schedule for 2011.”
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #10: Dec 17, 2007 02:28:25 pm
      Thank you CRK of having printed the article here!
      Everything looks good.Even better than many expected.
      Liverpool owners always try to underline they do for the best of club and their supporters.Something like before election or voting.
      It's good they want to be supported by fans.Believe their intentions can become the reality.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #11: Dec 17, 2007 02:58:55 pm
      It doesn't says much about the meeting. 3 hours meeting is a long time and lots of things would have been discussed but they are not telling. I just don't like surprises, unless it is something positive.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #12: Dec 17, 2007 03:58:43 pm
      It doesn't says much about the meeting. 3 hours meeting is a long time and lots of things would have been discussed but they are not telling. I just don't like surprises, unless it is something positive.

We all have to play the waiting game until Rafa decides to talk. I do hope we are locking down Mascherano for real though. All these talks about the Portsmouth ghanian midfielder as an alternative to mascherano does not sit well with me.
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #13: Dec 17, 2007 05:41:57 pm
      Lets hope this is the end of this nonsense now and we can concentrate on the field matters..
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #14: Dec 18, 2007 12:37:01 am
      Lets hope this is the end of this nonsense now and we can concentrate on the field matters..

Amen to that! Well said. Because that's what most of this was. Nonsense. Hopefully we have all learned (once again) not to believe everything that's said in the papers.

What goes on on the pitch is what matters the most. So it's all that bit more important and special after what's happened now to give full support to the players and our Rafa (we all know that goes without saying though).

Ignore the vultures who want to bring us down.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #15: Dec 18, 2007 12:49:42 pm
      RAFA: TALKS WITH CHAIRMEN WERE VERY POSITIVE
      Paul Eaton 18 December 2007 
        In our latest chat with Rafael Benitez at Melwood the Liverpool boss looks back on our defeat to United, he talks about his meeting with George Gillett and Tom Hicks and previews the Carling Cup clash at Chelsea. 
      Liverpoolfc.tv: What are your thoughts now when you look back on the Manchester United defeat?

Rafael Benitez: We are really disappointed. You know against United you are not always going to be able to play fantastic football but we had control of the game, we had more chances than them and so to concede a goal in a way we wouldn't normally concede is disappointing.

What was the difference between the two sides on the day?

Sometimes it just comes down to luck. If you remember, we had chances in the first half for Kewell, Torres and Kuyt while they had just the one at the end of the half. In the second half they had just the one chance because we were attacking. In the end, in my opinion, it came down to luck.

For a side with such a good defensive record it was a poor goal for you to concede...

We don't concede many goals from set pieces but on this occasion we made two or three mistakes. Too many things went wrong at the same time, our players were blocked and we had a man left on the line when the ball came in. In the end the ball went in and that was disappointing.

We had a lot of the ball in the second half without creating too many chances - how disappointing was that?

When you play against United you know it is going to be difficult because of the quality of their players and the game can often come down to small details. That's what happened again.

That's two league defeats in a row now after a long unbeaten run - how important is it go get back to winning ways as soon as possible?

Clearly it's important but we have confidence and we know we are going into a crucial stage of the season. We have a lot of games in a short space of time and so we have to keep the players with the same mentality and look to play as well as we can.

Is it worrying to look at the league table and see that we're ten points behind the leaders?

It's not the best situation but we prefer just to think about each game. If you look at the table every week and are at the top then it's fantastic but if you're not as close as you'd want then why worry about something you cannot change at this moment? We're trying to be focused on every game and on winning every game.

Some people have said you're out of the title race now - what's your reaction to that?

It's too early for me. We have one game in hand so the situation can improve and we're about to play four league games in a short time over Christmas. Let's just keep the confidence of the players high and see what the situation is at the end of the next month.

What can you tell us about what was said in your meeting with the club's chairmen after the United game?

We needed to clarify the situation and it was a very positive meeting. The conversation was very fluid because we were face to face, whereas it's more difficult over the phone or by email. It was very positive.

You said before the meeting that you wanted to clear up the misunderstanding - was that achieved?

Yes, I think so. My English isn't always the best but having the chance to talk to them slowly and with time allowed us to analyse the small problems and now we can move forward.

And we move forward to a Carling Cup quarter final with Chelsea...

It's a difficult game because we know Chelsea are a good team. We also have Portsmouth at the weekend so it will be a difficult week for us. Hopefully we can perform and get the right results.

Chelsea had a setback at the weekend as well...

Yes, they're like us and looking to get closer to the top of the table but this is a Cup game with a semi-final place at stake.

This may only be the Carling Cup - but games against Chelsea are always special aren't they?

Yes because we have played a lot of games against Chelsea over the last three or four years and so we know they are a top side. These games are very special and we seem to have a good record against them in cup competitions especially. This is another game and another competition but we know if we play well then we can beat anyone.

Why have we not done so well at Stamford Bridge over recent years though?

If you analyse their home form you can see they haven't lost for a long time so it's normal not to get too many good results there. They are really good in front of their own fans but we will try to change the situation.

Are they a different side since the appointment of Avram Grant as manager?

He is doing a good job. I remember when he arrived and people were saying he won't be around for too long. They are more or less the same side, they're very strong and create chances while not conceding too many.

Do you expect to face a strong Chelsea side tomorrow night?

I think they will rest some players because that's normal. They will use their squad but their squad is good so it will still be a good side.

And what are your thoughts in terms of team selection ahead of this match?

The key is to find the balance between the squad and the big names. It's not possible for players to play every game and with us having an important game against Portsmouth at the weekend the key will be to find the balance.

How much of a boost would it be if you could reach the semi-final?

We are here to win trophies and so we want to get into the semi-final. We will fight until the last minute to be there

:) Rafa sounds in quite a positive mood after his meeting with the Yanks, maybe they are learning the Liverpool way of doing things ;D

Everton in the semi's ?  ;)

redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #16: Dec 20, 2007 02:40:01 pm
      We all have to play the waiting game until Rafa decides to talk. I do hope we are locking down Mascherano for real though. All these talks about the Portsmouth ghanian midfielder as an alternative to mascherano does not sit well with me.

Yes, Masc. must stay, his swashbuckling style and toughness is a hallmark of the great Liverpool sides of the past. Besides that, Rafa must recognize fast that Masc. can be an attacking midfielder if we want him to be one, it's just that we have to develop his talent to attack and to take some heat off Stevie while giving us a bit of a variety in our attack. On a few occasions he nearly went past the last defender but of course he is not trained or asked to do so by Rafa. The talent is there for all of us to see and hopefully it does not escape the attention of Rafa.

On the other hand, I just don't believe the Yanks anymore until they say it out loud for whatever they want to say in the press, otherwise, something is still brewing.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #17: Dec 20, 2007 02:49:25 pm
      On the other hand, I just don't believe the Yanks anymore until they say it out loud for whatever they want to say in the press, otherwise, something is still brewing.

Agree.

They've put the "public" lid on it, but it still stinks doesn't it?
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #18: Dec 23, 2007 12:30:45 pm
      Oh wellllll, as we suspected there is more sh*t stiring in the press regarding our financing and lack of funds from Hicks and Gillette... and a possible sale back to DIC (due to the weak USD, etc, etc, etc).

BUT THIS STORY - I ACTUALLY BELIEVE.

Well señor Parry - great custodians you found there... I would return that sales bonus back to Mr Moore if I were you...

It all starts to make sense... it won't go away and this I believe because if have always said that Parry's mismanagement of the bids, the sale, the stadium hype, the stadium budget cock-up, the January window fiasco, the "bad blood" between G&H and Rafa ...is 101% all down to Mr Parry.

But believe me, if DIC do ever buy the club... Parry will be out quicker than a Torres clinical finish!

IRWT.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #19: Dec 24, 2007 01:45:40 pm
      Most articles from Skysports turned out to be true.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_3003553,00.html

G&H came with so much fanfare with us all fooled that they can bring us more successes. However, we soon found out their evil thoughts that they  apply the old economic school of thought of "you only need to borrow and borrow and borrow to become richer,". How wrong they were. Instead they found themselves heavily in debt at the moment, perhaps even struggling to finance the interest itself. Looks as if the Yanks are not that wealthy after all when they need to borrow to buy over the club. Needs reminding them that LFC is a big time club and soccer is a big time game, unlike baseball and ice hockey. They can't assume that we are their "hockey or baseball Rangers" team (whatever they call it, sorry for my ignorance) that they can toy around to make profit. There's no sincerity shown right from the beginning from both to bring this club to another level and more successes. Since they have been here, never a day that we have not had negative articles written about the club (I'm fed-up and hurt). So I said to G&H, this club is perhaps too big a toy for both of you that you finally come to understand, its a big boy's business venture, please if both of you still have some sense of honesty please step down and let DIC show what they can honestly do while all this rumour mongering must stop this very minute and both of you have began to erode the club. Luckily we have a standby knight in DIC to rescue us, otherwise we'll be another Leeds. Real scary.  End of.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,125 posts | 452 
      Reply #20: Dec 26, 2007 02:40:46 pm
      For me, I am waiting patiently for the January window and it will draw a slightly better picture of their intent.  We need finances in the transfer market we were second in the last window and there were good competition coming from below, lets see how we do in this window.  I do think that DIC is the better option in fact I think we should have vote between the Americans and DIC.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #21: Dec 31, 2007 01:33:44 pm
      Do these two statements from Parry today, within 15 seconds of eachother seem contradictory - no wonder Rafa is confused as to what is expected from him and what he expects from them...

"Nobody is demanding we win the Premier League this year or any other year."

...and then...

"We appointed Rafa because we wanted a manager with experience of winning a major championship. That's what we're aiming for."

Mr Parry - why don't you just make sure to tell the Yanks (correction, demand from them) to put their money where their mouths were on the day of their first press conference at Anfield - "to build a world class squad and stadium"- starting with cover at Centre Back and a new world class Centre Forward. Finance part of it by selling below-standard players such as JAR and Momo... and even Crouch if need be - just do it.

End of.

Edit:

Don, I've put the whole statement in its own topic, cheers, Smiggs

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,5765.0.html

« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2007 03:07:03 pm by smigger15 »

Quick Reply