Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 10th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

It's (still) all about the wingers

Read 2202 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      It's (still) all about the wingers
      Dec 17, 2007 12:39:29 am
      Liverpool's big problem is still all about the wingers.

It's troubled us for years but all the other top sides have great creative wingers.

First off Ryan Babel is a great little player but he is NOT a winger.  He always looks his best when he is up front from the half a season we have already seen of him.

Harry Kewell - can really hurt the poorer Premiership sides but is found wanting against the big clubs.

Jermaine Pennant - blows hot and cold - in his 18 months at Anfield has not been consistent enough - only scored a few goals.

After that you start getting in to the territory of the Aurelio's (clearly a left back) and the John Arne Riise's (clearly a - actually what is he)

Liverpool desperately need a world class - sh*t hot - proven - winger.  Until we get somebody who Gerrard and Masch/Alonso can pass out wide to and feel confident enough to run forward - not worrying that the ball will be lost - then we are always going to have trouble breaking down these bigger sides who edge out an early advantage.

A lot of people have jumped on the back of Kuyt etc but I really don't think they are receiving the quality of crosses/passes that other top teams create. 
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Re: It's (still) all about the wingers
      Reply #1: Dec 17, 2007 12:46:17 am

It's troubled us for years but all the other top sides have great creative wingers.

First off Ryan Babel is a great little player but he is NOT a winger.  He always looks his best when he is up front from the half a season we have already seen of him.

Harry Kewell - can really hurt the poorer Premiership sides but is found wanting against the big clubs.

Jermaine Pennant - blows hot and cold - in his 18 months at Anfield has not been consistent enough - only scored a few goals.

After that you start getting in to the territory of the Aurelio's (clearly a left back) and the John Arne Riise's (clearly a - actually what is he)

Liverpool desperately need a world class - sh*t hot - proven - winger.  Until we get somebody who Gerrard and Masch/Alonso can pass out wide to and feel confident enough to run forward - not worrying that the ball will be lost - then we are always going to have trouble breaking down these bigger sides who edge out an early advantage.

A lot of people have jumped on the back of Kuyt etc but I really don't think they are receiving the quality of crosses/passes that other top teams create. 

It's a good point JD, one that got brought up at the game today!

Babel did make a difference when he came on, but you can see he's always cutting in playing a striker's role rather than attacking the flanks, taking people on and getting a decent ball in!

Who would you suggest though?
      MsGerrard
      Reply #2: Dec 17, 2007 12:48:16 am
      We need to find another......Stevie Heighway on the wing...
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #3: Dec 17, 2007 02:13:10 am
      Look no futher than...

This Guy.

&

This Guy.

As long as the Americans open their cheque books and give us no less than £30 Million then these two are in the bag ;)
      benforrest
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts | -8 
      Reply #4: Dec 17, 2007 02:54:27 am
      I like your thinking Court LFC, If we do well in the Champions league we have some money for the players, i would like to see Finnan go back to midfield he can put in great crosses, like againest tottenham in stoppage time, maybe he was just hoping it would go somewhere but then our last goal againest the Mancs was a Finnan cross into Crouch who finished it in the FA cup. Why should Rafa play Babel on the wing he should sit behind our front striker he has a deadly shot, but Quaesma would be a great winger to have, but look at all the money the Americans will have to fork out, Masch and Quaes, ?Bentley? whats the price tag on those three, 40 mill, that's a bargain, what will we get for Momo Sissoko and others like Riise if the decision is made to sell him. The prices will only get dearer on players like Masch and Quaes Man City will be keen to make bigger bids than us, like they tried to on Torres now they are offer more than us for Masch.
      (excuse my spelling for players)
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #5: Dec 17, 2007 07:08:31 am
      I agree with JDs assessment about Harry Kewell and big and small clubs.I thought Uniteds goal resulted from Harry dithering and  losing the ball in the first place.Also nobody picked up Tevez he was totally unmarked.We did not lose this game we gave it away, the game should of been finished off in the first half hour.It will be interesting to see if we bring a winger in,in January.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #6: Dec 17, 2007 07:54:16 am

We had one teaed up and our last board wouldn't back our manager!  Danial Alves we offered 8m could have got him for 10m now Seville would want 25m for him!! So the ideas are all there, no doubt but again our manager requires unequivocal backing if we are serious about winning anything.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #7: Dec 17, 2007 11:09:14 am
      Oh no, people please not Quaresma. You all saw how he handled a big team, in the CL he was absolutely sh*te and falling at people's feet to get a free kick. Not what we need.

We need to go deeper than scouting the big names like Manchester did with Ronaldo. Go to Sporting and these kind of clubs who produce some extraordinary wingers. Its time to produce some talent of our own on the wings and now is the right time.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #8: Dec 17, 2007 12:22:01 pm
      The problem with our purchasing of top class players is we procrastinate and ended up buying 2nd rated players or none. We tend to analyzed and analyzed and analyzed until it becomes paralyzed while the mancs don't and they acted fast and always gets the best players unless the players refuses to join them like Torres. By the time we woke up from our slumber, we realized that the asking price has gone up beyond our reach while top and desperate clubs like the mancs, man city and newcastle are still willing to pay the hiked price. How sad, we're not that shrewd after all in the transfer market and needs to get up to speed, otherwise, we'll always be getting 2nd rated players and ended up as a 2nd rated team.

Besides that, the mancs got fewer players than us but each of them are world class act, but we tend to ship in a platoon of so called potential players and next we realize most did not match up to our expectations and got ship back to Spain, Argentina, etc. Plus and minus we may have spend as much as the mancs but we never got the desired quality and results and we remain a 2nd grade team. The truth is we remain a 2nd grade team and it is really painful to swallow but the results do not lie.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #9: Dec 17, 2007 12:28:33 pm
      The problem with our purchasing of top class players is we procrastinate and ended up buying 2nd rated players or none. We tend to analyzed and analyzed and analyzed until it becomes paralyzed while the mancs don't and they acted fast and always gets the best players unless the players refuses to join them like Torres. By the time we woke up from our slumber, we realized that the asking price has gone up beyond our reach while top and desperate clubs like the mancs, man city and newcastle are still willing to pay the hiked price. How sad, we're not that shrewd after all in the transfer market and needs to get up to speed, otherwise, we'll always be getting 2nd rated players and ended up as a 2nd rated team.

Besides that, the mancs got fewer players than us but each of them are world class act, but we tend to ship in a platoon of so called potential players and next we realize most did not match up to our expectations and got ship back to Spain, Argentina, etc. Plus and minus we may have spend as much as the mancs but we never got the desired quality and results and we remain a 2nd grade team. The truth is we remain a 2nd grade team and it is really painful to swallow but the results do not lie.

We haven't nearly spent as much as the Mancs! Yes, they've bought some amazng players, but we're still behind them in terms of spending! We covered half our transfer budget with outgoing players this season.

I do agree though, we need to act swifter in the transfer market! I'm sure if we went in for Bentley it'd be difficult to refuse Liverpool! As for Quaresma, I feel he's too continental for the Premiership! He's always on his arse, and the majority of the time he has dived! We need someone for the team! Quaresma is too much of a one man show!
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #10: Dec 17, 2007 12:33:59 pm
      Look no futher than...

This Guy.

&

This Guy.

As long as the Americans open their cheque books and give us no less than £30 Million then these two are in the bag ;)

I would agree with the winger situation but would have to totally disagree with you on those two players.
      Quasimodo has the wrong attitude and goes down with any touch, so in my humble opion he is not strong enough for the EPL. And David Bently is a legend in his own mind, thinks only of himself and is not a team player.
      I would prefer players who want to wear the red shirt not ones who are in it for the money.

As far as the winger situation goes I personnally think players should be able to adapt and if some of you have a clear think about it rotation in those positions is not always a good solution. Surely it would be in our best interest to try and mold Ryan and Yossi into right wingers and then have a left winger come in to cover for Kewel or compete with "H" for that position. It would have to be someone with the right attitude not someone who is another Beckham and cares more about his hairstyle than the rest of the team.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #11: Dec 17, 2007 12:44:39 pm
      We need to find another......Stevie Heighway on the wing...

We need a right footed Steve Heighway as well.
      benforrest
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts | -8 
      Reply #12: Dec 17, 2007 12:59:01 pm
      But it's not always easy to find young good wingers with potental, the problem is we need a winger now not in five years, if we can get both its a bonus. So that means that we do need a high-profiled winger, if you are saying that we shouldn't get a quaresma can you please suggest someone who you have seen play and someone who will add something major to the LFC team. We need someone who can last a couple of years and not like a level behind our better players, we need 10 players on the same level as Gerrard, we need just 2 wingers who can play close to Gerrard's skill. A good winger would have great pace and control, but then there is the aspect of crossing the ball, finding someone that good doesn't come along every year.
      redleg
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #13: Dec 17, 2007 01:17:51 pm
      It might help if Rafa, didn't say anything about the players he is looking at prior to the window opening, the mancs just went and bought two players, Rafa seems to like this brinkmanship every time the transfer window opens, lets keep quiet, go out and buy the players, that way we may even get them cheaper.   ???
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #14: Dec 17, 2007 01:25:10 pm
      The truth is mate, there isnt any who will either:

a) be a world class player now and in 5 years

or

b) have all those attributes without a catch

I ask, would you take the option of finishing 3rd or 4th in exchange for having a Ronaldo like winger next season and probably help us life the title? I know what I would like which is the latter. We need to mould a youngster to play for LFC and not buy a player who is already suited to one style of play and try to change their game. Portugal have made the best winger's in my opinion and its time to look there where success is proven. Then we could have the winger/s we have been wanting for the next 6/7 years and on and possibly have another golden decade.
      « Last Edit: Dec 17, 2007 01:28:59 pm by crouchinho »
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #15: Dec 17, 2007 01:27:40 pm
      We haven't nearly spent as much as the Mancs! Yes, they've bought some amazing players, but we're still behind them in terms of spending! We covered half our transfer budget with outgoing players this season.

I do agree though, we need to act swifter in the transfer market! I'm sure if we went in for Bentley it'd be difficult to refuse Liverpool! As for Quaresma, I feel he's too continental for the Premiership! He's always on his arse, and the majority of the time he has dived! We need someone for the team! Quaresma is too much of a one man show!

Yes, you are most probably right to say that we have not spent as much as the mancs. but it is also true to say that because of that we are lying 5th in the league, but the most frustrating thing being that we tend to buy fringe players and hope for the best but most the time ended up as rejects. So comes Jan., Rafa needs to bring in a few quality players to complement the backbone of the team, as far as I'm concern, made up of Carragher, Agger, Gerrard, Mascherano, Babel and Torres. Effectively we need 5 world class players, but that could be a tall tall order, otherwise 3 world class players would certainly do to improve the team as a whole. It is not a mission impossible but we may not be spending that much if we off load some of the fringe players or players who are evidently gone past their best and on the descend.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #16: Dec 17, 2007 01:58:03 pm

Fully fully agreed with every point, but Rafa needs to realize that 3 years is long enough for him to sort out the wingers problem but apparently he still has not and it keeps coming back to haunt him. If he's serious enough to resolve this department, he needs to put his heart and soul into resolving it. Besides that, we keep talking of Spanish players but i believe all Spanish clubs would have been forwarned of the impending plunder by Rafa on their top players comes January and would have hiked their asking price many times over. Too many Spanish on board already and the scouting department needs to look elsewhere. Need not look to far, John Utagi would have been an ideal replacement for Dirk Kuyt who has got much much more qualities and would link up well with Torres, eventhough we are talking about wingers here. How many time have we seen him gone past defenders already that we are badly lacking of such player except for Torres and Gerrard at the moment.

Quick Reply