Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

An un-Christmassy reminder....

Read 3779 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      An un-Christmassy reminder....
      Dec 20, 2007 07:51:36 pm
      if you post a message like this then the chacnes are it wll b deleted becoz at the end of the day we haven got time to turn your effots into sensible posts if u cnt be botheered witht eh way you type then why shoudl we be bothered when we click the big delete button.....

Or (in other words) - A quick reminder for those of you at the back of the class.

1. Sentences start with a capital letter and end (yes they do end) with a full stop.

2. The return key (or enter key) puts a gap called a 'paragraph' between some sentences.

3. Everyone makes the occasional spelling mistake - but writing in 'text speak' is unacceptable.

Thanks for listening.

Merry Christmas!  :)
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Re: An un-Christmassy reminder....
      Reply #1: Dec 20, 2007 08:03:33 pm
      Will lines be set for transgressions? >:D
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #2: Dec 20, 2007 08:08:27 pm
      Will lines be set for transgressions? >:D

The cane for you m'lad  ;) :o >:D
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #3: Dec 20, 2007 08:15:43 pm

Oh yes please Smigger >:D

The Cane? Ah, back in the day. Isn't that outlawed now?

Who asked you?
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #4: Dec 21, 2007 01:43:55 am

Ooh don't tempt me! ;)

Don't worry JD! Height of grammar from me!
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #5: Dec 21, 2007 02:04:18 am
      I dont understand why we must start all sentences with capitals its a bit extreme in terms of makign everything formal. i can understand the text language thing because some people may not be able to read it and the paragraphs for the same reason but capitals... really
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #6: Dec 21, 2007 08:28:26 am
      JD you remind me of the centurion in Life of Brian (Cleese|) when the other Python character was writing the graffiti on the wall and Cleese was correcting his Latin grammar!!
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #7: Dec 21, 2007 09:08:31 am
      Why am I not surprised that lil cisse feels that way?

It's called an attempt at keeping the English language alive, something that's obviously lost on some people. Simple things like full stops & capital letters make sentences a lot easier to read, so I don't see how it's unreasonable to ask people to use them.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #8: Dec 21, 2007 09:30:24 am
      Why am I not surprised that lil cisse feels that way?

It's called an attempt at keeping the English language alive, something that's obviously lost on some people. Simple things like full stops & capital letters make sentences a lot easier to read, so I don't see how it's unreasonable to ask people to use them.

Couldn't agree more Eddie, People should take a pride in what they have written, and make sure that correct grammer is used, it's not that difficult to use capital letters and full stops is it? I assume lil cisse that you did go to school?
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #9: Dec 21, 2007 11:22:03 am
      I have something to confess...

Sometimes I dont use a capital letter when I write things like, "I", "I'm" or "I'll".........force of habit. :)
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #10: Dec 21, 2007 11:27:56 am
      I have something to confess...

Sometimes I dont use a capital letter when I write things like, "I", "I'm" or "I'll".........force of habit. :)

>GASP< >SHOCK< >HORROR< No don't worry i dont do it either. i think we all find it easier to just type lower case. but oh well, JD has told us off now :(
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #11: Dec 21, 2007 11:31:21 am
      Couldn't agree more Eddie, People should take a pride in what they have written, and make sure that correct grammer is used, it's not that difficult to use capital letters and full stops is it? I assume lil cisse that you did go to school?

Eddie be easy on some of the posters... for a lot of guys here English is their 2nd language - and many are youngsters...

Having said that what I hate r peeps who use txt spk instd ov ful wrds... bllxs 2 em!
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #12: Dec 21, 2007 11:33:54 am

Understand what your saying donrafael, but we have an over 14 policy to use this forum.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #13: Dec 21, 2007 11:39:44 am
      Thought capital letters, full stops, commas etc were the same in any language  ;)
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #14: Dec 21, 2007 11:44:33 am
      Understand what your saying donrafael, but we have an over 14 policy to use this forum.

Is that mental age or since d.o.b.
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #15: Dec 21, 2007 11:49:06 am
      umm why was my post deleted??
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #16: Dec 21, 2007 11:50:31 am
      And by 14 you really should have learnt basic punctuation. I am tolerant of people who don't speak English as a first language, but as smiggs said you still use capital letters and punctuation in other languages. Edu rbb is a perfect example, sometimes I can barely understand what he's on about, but place names & sentences still start with capitals when he posts.
      benforrest
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts | -8 
      Reply #17: Dec 21, 2007 12:24:11 pm
      Fair enough, it's just as simple as reading over your comment after it has been typed, while you spell check it.
      Cy
      Reply #18: Dec 21, 2007 12:38:32 pm
      On the point of people not speaking English as their first language, most do speak a better one then lot's of natives so not really relevant. We can make grammatical mistakes but JD and EddieC points are absolutely spot on.

Starting a sentence with a capital letter is a rules of grammar, so you speak English or you don't. Oh and Lil Cisse, there are no such thing as "text language", if you are using T9 on mobile to type messages, it's doesn't come out with all these abbreviations, it's called laziness not text language.

This is the way JD and other moderators want it and that is the bottom line, live with it.

Also, don't forget that for a lot's of us, (none native) using this forum is also somewhere to improve our English, so people moaning about this rule should think about that and been proud of their language.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #19: Dec 21, 2007 02:42:07 pm

Ok no need to take it so far all I said is I dont see a reason for needing capital letters at the start of each sentence, I didnt even mention any problem with anything else. and yes ms Gerrard I did ok and I feel that comment was rather unecessary but I guess its your choice what you write no need to be rude when I'v simply given my opinion.

Thanks donrafael and Cy yes I fully understand that but it isnt laziness really its just a quicker way of writing something not necessarily lazy, isnt short hand a way of writing things more quickly.

Iv'e already said that I agree with the text language thing and of course it exists people use it everyday so of course it exists, its not a proper language of course but it exists, some use it some dont I understand that its unnaceptable on here which is y I dont use it and yes thats IF you are using T9 and that is why there is an option to use it mobile phones arent strictly T9 because some choose to use text language, text language fits into less space on a phone and therefore costs less. I only expressed my opinion and stated that I dont understand why we have to do one of these things.

Im not even from this country sheesh you would have thought I came on here and started slating liverpool thanks for the welcome. I think I may just leave if I get this response for saying I dont understand something.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #20: Dec 21, 2007 02:46:37 pm
      Ok no need to take it so far all I said is I dont see a reason for needing capital letters at the start of each sentence, I didnt even mention any problem with anything else. and yes ms Gerrard I did ok and I feel that comment was rather unecessary but I guess its your choice what you write no need to be rude when I'v simply given my opinion.

Thanks donrafael and Cy yes I fully understand that but it isnt laziness really its just a quicker way of writing something not necessarily lazy, isnt short hand a way of writing things more quickly.

Iv'e already said that I agree with the text language thing and of course it exists people use it everyday so of course it exists, its not a proper language of course but it exists, some use it some dont I understand that its unnaceptable on here which is y I dont use it and yes thats IF you are using T9 and that is why there is an option to use it mobile phones arent strictly T9 because some choose to use text language, text language fits into less space on a phone and therefore costs less. I only expressed my opinion and stated that I dont understand why we have to do one of these things.

Im not even from this country sheesh you would have thought I came on here and started slating liverpool thanks for the welcome. I think I may just leave if I get this response for saying I dont understand something.

People use text language to make quick notes that they can read themselves! I see it all the time at uni! But that's for personal reference! No-one else needs to read that, so they write it in a way they can understand! Just because you understand it doesn't necessarily mean that everyone else can!

And txt language on texts makes sense, as it's cheaper, but its all free on here! No space saving, just try and format your posts a touch, just to make your comments a little easier on the eyes! ;)

lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #21: Dec 21, 2007 02:59:57 pm
      Yes i understand that, i don't even use text language on here i have only done it once and that was because i didn't know you couldn't use it at the time. i haven't been using the forum long and i just feel that some of the coments aimed towards me were not needed i just want to feel welcome here since i haven't done anything wrong i just said that i didnt understand something.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #22: Dec 21, 2007 03:06:17 pm
      Yes I understand that, I don't even use text language on here I have only done it once and that was because I didn't know you couldn't use it at the time. I haven't been using the forum long and I just feel that some of the coments aimed towards me were not needed I just want to feel welcome here since I haven't done anything wrong I just said that I didnt understand something.

Don't worry about it, I'm sure all's well now! It's a Liverpool forum, we're all here to discuss the same thing so don't feel un-welcome! ;)

Quick Reply