Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Sanchez leaves Fulham

Read 1435 times
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Sanchez leaves Fulham
      Dec 21, 2007 10:47:38 am
      Fulham have announced that manager Lawrie Sanchez has left the club with immediate effect.

"Ray Lewington and Billy McKinlay will be in charge of the team whilst a search for a permanent replacement takes place," said a club statement.

Sanchez's departure comes just a day after John Collins' sudden resignation as Hibernian boss.

The ex-Fulham and Scotland midfielder's exit sparked a flurry of rumours that he may return to Craven Cottage.

More to follow.

From BBC Sport. Breaking news as of 15 minutes ago.

Is that really the right decision? Sanchez didn't seem to be doing that badly and who's going to step up now? Yet another failed Premiership manager a la Megson and the like.

I haven't heard of this John Collin's bloke before seeing the news on his departure from Hibs yesterday. What's he done for them and is someone manaing in the, er... 'highly competetive' SPL going to manage it in the Premiership?
      Tayls
      • Started Topic

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Re: Sanchez leaves Fulham
      Reply #1: Dec 21, 2007 11:01:30 am
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #2: Dec 21, 2007 12:16:36 pm
      You've never heard of John Collins?

Anyway, another dozy decision by a premiership chairman, but I can't say I'm surprised. Al Fayed should've never got rid of Coleman in the first place, who was working miracles on the budget he had.
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #3: Jan 03, 2008 02:55:42 pm
      I thought Coleman was brilliant. I also love him cos he's Welsh. Wicked accent hehe

Sanchez used to be at Swansea didn't he? I'm sure it was him.
      curse
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 117 posts | -1 
      • Torres = GOALS!!
      Reply #4: Jan 04, 2008 05:59:19 pm
      Even his former players are against him now.

DEJAN: WE WERE RIGHT TO AXE LAWRIE
      By Duncan Bech, PA Sport

Dejan Stefanovic admits he approved of Fulham's change in manager after claiming the club could go no further under Lawrie Sanchez.

The Cottagers have been left fighting a relegation battle and £25million poorer as the legacy of Sanchez's disastrous reign.

Roy Hodgson was appointed his successor a week ago and Stefanovic is backing the nomadic former Inter Milan coach to prove more successful.

"We were unlucky to lose a couple of games but I couldn't see any better if we continued in the way we were," he said.

"The board decided to change the manager and now we must see what we can do under him in order to survive in the squad.

"It's very important to get our first win under the new manager. Everyone has been looking forward to working with him.

"He seems a very organised person. He's been coaching in other countries and knows football inside out."

Sanchez's long ball tactics alienated several members of the squad amid reports the latter stages of his tenure included dressing room bust-ups with some players.

Serbian centre back Stefanovic admits the direct style favoured by Sanchez was unpopular and is relishing the changes in direction under Hodgson.

"We are playing more of a passing game now, which hasn't been the case in the past," he said.

"We have the players to play football at this club - internationals who are capable of it. But in some games in the past we did not play football.

"I can't blame the previous manager as that was his style and everyone is different. Sometimes it was frustrating for the team.

"If you have the personnel to play football but they are asked to do something different, it becomes frustrating for the players.

"Now I'm looking forward to working with the new manager."

Fulham face Bristol Rovers in the third round of the FA Cup at Craven Cottage on Sunday, but the spectre of the club's dismal league position hangs over the fixture.

Hodgson is ready to invest during the transfer window in the hope of improving their chances of survival and Stefanovic, stand-in skipper for the last two games, agrees new recruits are needed.

"All the players want to show the manager what they can do," he said.

"The new manager will want to maybe bring in some new players but the guys who are already here must prove ourselves as well.

"Of course I'd like the club to buy some new players. We don't have a big squad and we have a few injuries at the moment.

"We have good players but that doesn't mean we will stay in the Premiership.

"It's difficult at the moment and when things are difficult you need to change something.

"I feel we need a couple of new players to help us

Quick Reply