Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

MICHEAL OWEN 'HERO OR ZERO'

Read 5141 times
      woodsie2b
      • Forum Matt Busby
      • Started Topic

• 135 posts | 11 
      Jul 30, 2006 01:53:01 pm
      WAS WONDERING WHAT YOUR VIEWS ON OWEN ARE! PERSONALLY I THOUGHT HE WAS IN IT FOR HIMSELF FOUND HIM REALLY ANOYING WHEN HE KEPT GOING ON ABOUT IF LIVERPOOL DON'T MATCH HIS AMBITIONS HE'D MOVE ON! AND HE DID, WELL WHAT HAPPEND NEXT.................... .................
      liverpaul
      • Forum John Barnes

• 409 posts |
      Reply #1: Jul 30, 2006 04:04:14 pm
      We got the best out of owen and wasn't that bothered he went the £8 million we got for him is now looking like good business considering he has hardly kicked a ball for the 2nd half of the season and is unlikely to play this season.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #2: Jul 30, 2006 05:09:55 pm
      One word.
      Hero.
      lofty 1
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts |
      Reply #3: Jul 30, 2006 07:09:27 pm
      saw him play a few times towards the end at anfield and felt that if he had pockets in his shorts  he would have used them,we did get the best out of him but felt betrayed by his lack of enthusiasm before he went on his travels and as you say it got him nothing anyway 8)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Owen
      Reply #4: Jul 31, 2006 06:06:03 pm
      Hero?? Not anymore that two-faced little tw*t!!

Should of given Rafa one season like Stevie G did
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #5: Jul 31, 2006 07:17:50 pm
      Hero until his last season when he was sh*t
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #6: Aug 01, 2006 12:56:09 am
      liverpaul is absoulately ryt!! i tink we gt da best of owen! he mite shw glipses of da past bt wil nevr b as gud as e ws! 17m? r u jokn me! we gt fowler 4 free! hes scord mor goals 4 liverpol since january dam owen scord al seasn at toon! F**K OF U GEORDIE SCUM!!!
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      who do u hate the most mancs or everton?
      Reply #7: Aug 01, 2006 02:48:09 pm
      i hate uniturd more cause i no quite a lot of united fans so they wind me up when liverpool lose but im interested 2 here ur views
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #8: Aug 01, 2006 07:09:41 pm
      Yeah ok. He did f*ck off to Real and won f*ck all. But he had that attitude of 'when Real come callin' you don't say no'. Was sad when he left. But look what happened to our goalscoring rate when Owen walked out of Anfield.
      woodsie2b
      • Forum Matt Busby
      • Started Topic

• 135 posts | 11 
      Reply #9: Aug 01, 2006 07:21:37 pm
      what would ya rather have good goal rate or champions league!
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #10: Aug 07, 2006 10:28:51 am
      he was a hero as far as i'm concerned our top scorer since 1997 till he left us. no doubt in my mind.
      meshy
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Reply #11: Aug 07, 2006 10:49:51 am
      im not concered about owen. all im thinking his about this season. who we going to buy striker wise? :roll:
      Bootle Buck
      • Forum David Johnson

• 233 posts | 30 
      Reply #12: Aug 07, 2006 02:30:29 pm
      He will probably go down as a legend but the way he went will always leave a sour taste.

I have no problems the fact he went. It's how he did it. He always said he'd sign a contract when he had no intentions of doing so. Therefore, we were shafted up the a*se by Madrid (and I don't blame them) to take £8m for a player at the time rated around £20m. He then admitted that while his price was £20 Madrid would never have come calling, so he knew exactly what he was doing. Also comments like "£8m is not bad for someone you paid nothing for". What a cheeky b**ard. The club helped make him into a superstar from when he was a kid. Also when things weren't working out well and asked whether he considered a move back to Liverpool... "I've got nothing against them". What a Gobsh*te

There were a lot of fans saying we should have bought him back as well. Imagine buying back someone for double you sold him for ?? We'd have been a laughing stock and would never have been able to sign another player for his true value ever again. It's hard enough as it is at the moment. Signing him back would have ruined this club and nice one to Rafa for not giving in to the "romantic" fans out there. Because if the World Cup is anything to go by, he has lost some of his pace, and after the injury he has now it wouldn't be a surprise if more of it has gone.

Personally I think he's as good as finished. He can rot at "Big Club" Newcastle with the "est fans in the world" for the rest of his career. The pair deserve each other.

Pheeew, I'm going for a lie down
      red for ever
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #13: Aug 07, 2006 04:01:50 pm
      if you read michael owens book he says he was ready to sign a new contract but madrid turned his head, i don't think you can blame the lad for that. he also said he would never leave the reds on a free transfer as he wanted to repay the club for making him the player he is, in this day and age i think thats a nice gesture. think back to what steve mcmanaman done when he went to madrid!!!!
      liverpaul
      • Forum John Barnes

• 409 posts |
      Reply #14: Aug 07, 2006 05:07:21 pm
      Sorry bootle buck i dont think owen will go down as a liverpool legend liverpool great yes but never a legend i dont think we can put owen in the legend category along with the likes of dalglish, rush or fowler even to name just a few.
      Bootle Buck
      • Forum David Johnson

• 233 posts | 30 
      Reply #15: Aug 07, 2006 05:52:07 pm
      LiverPaul,

I did only say "probably" go down as a legend.

I don't really think one fan decides who is and who isn't. It is usally in the fullness of time when enough people have, or indeed haven't associated the word with his name.

The terms great, legend, the best, seem to get used ever so often these days that is why I used "probably".
      liverpaul
      • Forum John Barnes

• 409 posts |
      Reply #16: Aug 07, 2006 06:51:15 pm
      Am not disagreeing with anything you say and the words legend and great do get banded about far too easily but in my opinion what owen did for us in the time he was at the club was great but i dont think he stayed long enough to achieve legendary status now owen has made his bed now he's gotta lie in it.
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #17: Aug 07, 2006 08:04:41 pm
      Quote from: "red for ever"
      if you read michael owens book he says he was ready to sign a new contract but madrid turned his head, i don't think you can blame the lad for that. he also said he would never leave the reds on a free transfer as he wanted to repay the club for making him the player he is, in this day and age i think thats a nice gesture. think back to what steve mcmanaman done when he went to madrid!!!!

I do blame the lad for that, he let his head get turned by a club that has become a circus, he goes for a cut price £8m. Liverpooll again let them selves get into a position were a player can shaft them. Only this time there is a bit of poetic justice...St Micheal cant get a game in Madrid and the Reds become The Five times Champions of all Europe.  ;D

I cant believe the lad went to the Bar codes though, now that is a Circus. I do wish the lad well but I would never want to see him in a Reds shirt again.

As for legend, that he is not. The sadest part of this whole sorry episode is he could of been up there with the best.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #18: Aug 08, 2006 09:41:35 pm
      Owen was my hero when I was growing up. Then he went on to become my Idol. As the years went by he became better and better. Untill one season when he thought he had had enough. So he packed his suitcase and f**ked off to Madrid. It hit me hard, and it was difficult to watch him in a Real Madrid shirt. However, he was the best striker Real had at the time. He always scored. But it worked out for the worst. Look how many times he has been injured. As he played at Real winning bugger all. We went on to be crowned 5th time Champions of Europe! But who remembers he was in the ITV broacasting box at the start and at half time? I bet he was distraught there. And especially seeing Gerrard pick the Cup up, and he must of thought. "I could of been there".
      Michael's career is FAR FROM OVER. As everyone that have said on this forum that he shouldn't go down as a Legend. He truely is a Legend in my eyes. Good luck Michael.
      scousysmurf
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 56 posts |
      Reply #19: Aug 09, 2006 05:12:29 pm
      Owen said he wanted to leave Liverpool to win trophies. Let him stay where he is.
      giddy76
      • Forum John Toshack

• 263 posts |
      Reply #20: Aug 11, 2006 09:44:37 am
      Quote from: "scousysmurf"
      Owen said he wanted to leave Liverpool to win trophies. Let him stay where he is.

That makes me laugh... he leaves the Mighty 'pool to 'win trophies' and since he's been gone we've won 3 of them...

I think he was a tremendous player... when he played for us... but then every Red is a winner with me, just because they're wearing the shirt and I like to support our players.

To be brutally honest, he lost his touch... Robbie - overweight - still had the ability to play fantastic football... and unfortunately Owen doesn't.

Newcastle need him... but I think this could be the injury that puts him out of the game, sorry. I don't want it to be, but he's compiling injury after injury and his recovery isn't as quick as it would've been some 5 years ago.

Quick Reply