Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Saints?

Caoimhin Kelleher
      17 (24.6%)
      Joe Gomez
      2 (2.9%)
      Cody Gakpo
      1 (1.4%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      14 (20.3%)
      Kostas Tsimikas
      0 (0%)
      Jarell Quansah
      0 (0%)
      Conor Bradley
      1 (1.4%)
      James McConnell
      0 (0%)
      Bobby Clark
      4 (5.8%)
      Lewis Koumas
      0 (0%)
      Alexis Mac Allister
      0 (0%)
      Ibrahima Konaté
      3 (4.3%)
      Kaide Gordon
      0 (0%)
      Jayden Danns
      27 (39.1%)
      Trey Nyoni
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Voting closed: Mar 03, 2024 09:52:59 pm

Liverpool 3-0 Southampton: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 5029 times
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,384 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: Liverpool 3-0 Southampton: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #276: Feb 28, 2024 10:56:44 pm
      Wonder if  Joe will play as a 6 at the weekend if the injuries don't clear up. After an unsure start I thought he did well.
      marska43
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | 14 
      Reply #277: Feb 28, 2024 11:23:43 pm
      Bobby Clark was everywhere tonight, seemed like wherever the ball was, he was alap there. Quite an engine he has, and quite a performance he put in IMO.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #278: Feb 29, 2024 08:53:03 am
      I only saw the first half but saw the highlights, what two goals Danns scored.

Our academy is producing talents.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,844 posts | 67 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #279: Feb 29, 2024 09:19:15 am
      Good result from hard work by the team tonight ! Young lads take a bow ,you were superb again ,Bobby Clark putting a shift in and getting better all the time Quansah was immense again, Mconnell good in midfield , Strikers Koumos and Danns always dangerous , actually thought Cody Gakpo was very wasteful tonight and might have scored one or two .Kelleher was my MOTM again oozing confidence and already ( for me ) one of the best goalies around. Bet there's some tired legs and very proud parents tonight !
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,170 posts | 1384 
      Reply #280: Feb 29, 2024 10:52:09 am
      Watching lfctv and Jürgen asking the fans to stop telling Joe Gomez to shoot.

Shot early on ended up in a different post code.Slightly ify start but he dominated a fair bit after that, great strength on the ball but obviously lack a bits of subtlety. Good move putting him in there and Joe put in a shift.
      Harrisimo

• 8,170 posts | 1384 
      Reply #281: Feb 29, 2024 10:59:42 am
      I only saw the first half but saw the highlights, what two goals Danns scored.

Our academy is producing talents.

Deft little Kenny like dink wasn't it..

No truth to the rumour Kenny collared Danns down the tunnel..." Come 'ere kid...yu tryin' to nick mi Trademark.."
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,003 posts | 3351 
      Reply #282: Feb 29, 2024 11:58:00 am
      So there's another done and dusted as we head for the quadruple.

What a night as well. So many injuries, maybe our entire starting XI with the exception of the skipper, missed yesterday. That's F***ing madness. But what it shows is not only the talent we've got coming through but also the maturity that these young lads have. We've seen it all season with Quansah, who has been a commanding figure at the heart of the defence when played. Bradley has taken the chance he's been given to the point that people don't even really mention Trent being out the side any more. McConnell was the best player on the park at Wembley. Clark already looks like a seasoned-pro Klopp-like midfielder.

And then the young lads up front yesterday. Koumas was the one trying to get us going in the first half. Maybe a little guilty of trying too much on his own at times but he took the responsibility on and got the goal his performance deserved. Then there's Jayden Danns, who we've already seen isn't going to shy away from being himself. He's been demanding the ball, been willing to take on shots and last night he got two goals at Anfield in front of the Kop. What a F***ing night for those two.

Special, special mention to Caoimhin Kelleher as well. He may be a bit older than those around him, though still relatively young in goalkeeping terms and still relatively inexperienced. What a player he's turning out to be.

The game itself, we started quite shakey. Looked very much like what we were, a mismatched cup team. Southampton completely outplayed us and if they'd been three or four up at half time then I don't we could have argued with it. But we grew into the game, our youngsters started to improve and we got control of the game. Once Southampton ran out of steam, we really dominated and were allowed to showcase our abilities.

And we're rewarded with a quarter final tie against United. Can't F***ing wait to end both Manchester clubs seasons in the space of a week.

Kelleher - another standout performance from the Irishman. Made some really big saves, just like he did at Wembley. He's proving, yet again, to be a very competent deputy to Alisson.

Bradley - wasn't his best performance with the ball at his feet, I felt he was a little wasteful in the final third. But he's always there in the position to get the ball in. Defensively he was sound for the most part. Could have got himself another goal as well, if it wasn't for a good save - thankfully the rebound was knocked in anyway.

Quansah - plays with such calmness, as we saw with his first touch at Wembley in extra time. Yesterday, he was immense on either the right or left side of the centre back pairing.

Van Dijk - what hasn't been said about this man? He's back to the best. And he's leading this group of youngsters in such a fantastic manner. He seems revitalised again. He wants this season to be special and it's certainly heading that way.

Tsimikas - was caught out of position a couple of times due to our press and Southampton getting through it. But, like Bradley on the right, he was always an option out wide when we went forward. Thought he linked up quite well with Clark and Koumas down that side as well.

McConnell - was maybe the quietest of the young lads yesterday but as I've already said he was head and shoulders above the rest at Wembley. Didn't catch the eye too often against the Saints. Didn't play badly by any means but wasn't as influencial as he has been in other games this season. But he's 19, he shouldn't be expected to be running the games for us just yet.

Gomez - looked very unsure of himself and position in the first half, was a complete liability in there. But as the game went on, started to have more control in there. And gave us a solid platform to build upon as we began to dominate the game. Don't think it's a position he'll be playing long-term but as a one-off he done alright.

Clark - woked his bollocks off all game. Played a key part in the opening goal, which was a really big moment for us. And it was the sort of performance that we're used to seeing from Klopp's midfielders. And hopefully he's impressed AussieRed for the right reasons last night and not because of his bushy eyebrows.

Elliott - I watched a different game to most because I thought Harvey was very poor last night, first half in particular. There was one moment that vividly stands out where he picks up on the touchline, cuts inside, keeps going inside then plays a suicide pass right across the middle of the park for Southampton to cut out. I love his work ethic but his ability isn't good enough. And I know it's probably unfair on my part to be as critical as I am given he's still only 20 but he's played over 100 games for us now and has to start being a lot more productive.

Gakpo - a bit like Elliott, I thought he was very poor. Credit to him, he got into the positions and on another day probably scores at least one. But on this day, his finishing was dreadful. And some really poor efforts on goal, wasn't even troubling the keeper.

Koumas - as I said at the top of the post, I thought he was guilty of trying too much on his own for large parts of the first half. Didn't release the ball when he probably should of. But could have had a penalty when he pushed in the back by Stephens and obviously he did get a goal to his name so the rest of his debut won't be too much of a concern. He was our best player first half just because he was the one trying.

Konate - started a little slowly but quickly became the commanding the centre half that we know he is. He helped the young defence through the second half, the way Virg did in the first half. Safe to say, he's one of my faves.

Mac Allister - his introduction was almost the catalyst for us taking complete control of the game. He just seemed to give us a little bit composure on the ball. Got around the pitch as well. Looks more comfortable in the slightly more advanced role than the holding role, though he may be back sitting deep depending on whether or not Endo makes the Forest trip.

Danns - what a F***ing week this kid has had. Makes his debut on the 21st, wins his debut trophy on the 25th and scores his debut goal on the 28th. And two lovely goals for any centre forward. First one was great awarness and skill. Just knowing to lift the ball, even without looking at the keeper. That's a natural finisher. And then the second, a real poachers goal. On his toes, quick to react to the parry from the keeper and the composure to keep it down instead of lashing it over the bar. Can't get carried away after just two goals but the manner in which he scored and the type of goals give me real belief that this kid can make it.

Nyoni - he's the latest to join the line of people who can now say they've played for Liverpool Football Club. No matter what else happens in his career, he will always have that honour to his name, Well F***ing done kid. Nobody can take that away from him.

Gordon - got another few minutes in his legs. And I'm sure coming back after the injury he suffered, he's grateful for any time he gets on the pitch.

Overall, a poor first half that we were lucky to come out of with a lead. But by the end of the game, I think we deserved the win - simply because we took our chances and they didn't. We stayed in the game thanks to a big performance from the keeper and then got a couple of lads scoring their first goals for the club.

Fantastic to see how many youngsters are making an impact in this team. We've worried (and probably remain doing so) about the injuries we've got and how it could derail our season but the lads coming in have just taken the opportunity and kept our season well on track. That's a credit to the lads themselves but also the work done behind the scenes.

Next round here we come, United must be shitting themselves and we're due a win in the Cup against those cu*ts after the 3-2 defeat a few years back.

Back to back clean sheets for the first team this season as well (that's a shocking stat for a team going for the quad) and another three goals at Anfield. I mean that's just a given nowadays isn't it?

Keep doing what we're doing and we win everything.

Well in Reds.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #283: Feb 29, 2024 02:47:34 pm
      The Kids Are Alright as the Who sang!
      Their enthusiasm and refusal to be overawed by experienced opposition seems to have improved since the humiliation of Chelsea but above all they were given deserved respect by Southampton last night!
      « Last Edit: Feb 29, 2024 03:02:00 pm by stuey »
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 676 posts | 132 
      Reply #284: Feb 29, 2024 03:00:29 pm
      Are we still classing Bradley and Quansah as kids btw seeing as they play very much liked seasoned pros.

The thing is as well, we didn't even have the best of our kids out there. We'd have looked so much better with Baj and Doak, maybe even Morton playing.
      Harrisimo

• 8,170 posts | 1384 
      Reply #285: Feb 29, 2024 03:41:02 pm
      Are we still classing Bradley and Quansah as kids btw seeing as they play very much liked seasoned pros.

The thing is as well, we didn't even have the best of our kids out there. We'd have looked so much better with Baj and Doak, maybe even Morton playing.

Most definitely, especially Brad. He hasn't been taken to the cleaners or had a crap game.Happen to them all. If they come through this season relatively unscathed, then yes experienced pro's. Same with any player.

Quick Reply