Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Liverpool FC Academy Youth Team Thread

Read 463348 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Liverpool FC Academy Youth Team Thread
      Reply #3818: Aug 20, 2019 12:35:47 pm
      I did some research because as I was working out, it occurred to me that the Chelsea team might have been much older than the 11 we sent out today. I was thinking that if our boys were mostly 18 and theirs 3-4 years older, it might work against us in that the physical difference marked by those growing/developing ages might have just made it too much of a mismatch (because they did look bigger and was definitely a one-sided match).

What I found out re the ages though is a different story, minus the two first team players who they gave a runout  to today.

Chelsea                     Liverpool
      Cumming - 19            Kelleher - 20
      Lamptey - 18             Hoever - 17
      Rudiger - 26              Boyes - 18
      Guehi - 19                 Van den Berg - 17
      Maatsen - 17              Larouci - 18
      Mola - 18                   Kane - 20
      Gilmour - 18              Dixon-Bonner - 18
      Uwakwe - 19             Elliott - 16
      Anjorin - 17               Jones - 18
      Castillo - 19               Lewis - -19
      Batshuayi - 25           Brewster - 19

Our subs (on at 60 minutes, Neco Williams, Tony Gallacher and Bobby Duncan - are 18, 20 and 18, respectively).

So as you see, excepting the two first team players, the ages are fairly similar. I suppose we could have used Shaqiri and Lallana, or Lovren, but probably would only give them such a runout for a home fixture. Anyway, the difference in the overall game and not j ust one or two guys being physically dominant. Hopefully it is a learning experience somehow for the team, but it did make me wonder how many of them are ready to play in a League Cup match, for instance.

Rudiger and Batshuayi make a massive difference there.
      Would be like Liverpool starting Lovren and Origi.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3819: Aug 20, 2019 01:55:53 pm
      Rudiger and Batshuayi make a massive difference there.
      Would be like Liverpool starting Lovren and Origi.

Fair enough to you and baz, but if you watched the game you'll see I'm not exaggerating the one-sidedness of it. I'm not saying none of our guys can come good, just that they all looked far away yesterday.
      « Last Edit: Aug 20, 2019 03:16:41 pm by Robby The Z »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3820: Aug 20, 2019 02:34:34 pm
      Fair enough to you and bad, but if you watched the game you'll see I'm not exaggerating the one-sidedness of it. I'm not saying none of our guys can come good, just that they all looked far away yesterday.

Chelsea have the biggest farm of youth talent in the country.
      Now with the transfer ban they've kept most of the young talent at the club instead of loaning 20+ players out.
      No surprise to see them so strong.

Plus an average age of 19.5 vs an average ag of 18 is not what I'd call "fairly similar".

Rudiger 26.
      Batshuayi 25.

van den Berg 17.
      Elliott 16.

Huge gaps there.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3821: Aug 20, 2019 03:20:47 pm
      Now with the transfer ban they've kept most of the young talent at the club instead of loaning 20+ players out.

Plus an average age of 19.5 vs an average ag of 18 is not what I'd call "fairly similar".

Rudiger 26.
      Batshuayi 25.

van den Berg 17.
      Elliott 16.

Huge gaps there.

I get it with the two older guys, but they aren't everywhere on the field.  You shouldn't include them in the average age because I'd already allowed for that.

Good info on their youth team, but I'm mainly interested in ours. Have you seen the match? Even the highlights up now are pretty depressing. check out the body language on our goalkeeper among others.

To me it went way beyond them using two senior players.
      « Last Edit: Aug 20, 2019 03:33:03 pm by Robby The Z »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3822: Aug 20, 2019 03:26:34 pm

Rudiger 26.
      Batshuayi 25.

van den Berg 17.
      Elliott 16.

Huge gaps there.

Also our average is 18.3. Theirs not counting the two seniors is 18.2.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3823: Aug 20, 2019 03:47:47 pm
      Also our average is 18.3. Theirs not counting the two seniors is 18.2.

It was 18.1 & why wouldn't we include the two seniors. It's XI v XI.

"Don't include 2 of the 11 because it doesn't suit my point".
      « Last Edit: Aug 20, 2019 04:05:29 pm by racerx34 »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3824: Aug 20, 2019 04:27:47 pm
      It was 18.1 & why wouldn't we include the two seniors. It's XI v XI.

"Don't include 2 of the 11 because it doesn't suit my point".

Hey I'm not meaning to be hostile..so please don't insult.

My whole point in posting ages was thinking that maybe beyond the two senior players, who I understand make a difference in how the match goes, that their players normally with the u23s are considerably older than who we ran out. But it's not the case, both teams are around 18 on average. I thought maybe in terms of cycles of youth development, we had a group 2-3 years younger then them, covering significant periods of physical growth, that accounted for the massive difference in performance last night. So that's why I did not include the senior players, who I understand have an impact on the game (I just think it would be the only reason).
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,293 posts | 177 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #3825: Aug 20, 2019 05:19:37 pm

My whole point in posting ages was thinking that maybe beyond the two senior players, who I understand make a difference in how the match goes, that their players normally with the u23s are considerably older than who we ran out. But it's not the case, both teams are around 18 on average. I thought maybe in terms of cycles of youth development, we had a group 2-3 years younger then them, covering significant periods of physical growth, that accounted for the massive difference in performance last night. So that's why I did not include the senior players, who I understand have an impact on the game (I just think it would be the only reason).

It's just you can't remove two data points and then say "this is the average", because it is not. If anything disregard that particular metric for whatever reason,and use another argument, but you can't just shift the data like that because the difference in age IS a valid point.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3826: Aug 20, 2019 06:11:29 pm
      It's just you can't remove two data points and then say "this is the average", because it is not. If anything disregard that particular metric for whatever reason,and use another argument, but you can't just shift the data like that because the difference in age IS a valid point.

For those two guys sure . I've said about 10 times i know they make a difference in how the game went. I made a few posts before listing the ages.

I just think there has to be more to it than those two guys and whatever it is, it isn't that the rest of the guys are any older. Look at the game if you didn't. Look at the third goal (by a 17-year old) in the highlights, and the complete absence of highlights for us on our own site
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3827: Aug 20, 2019 08:03:50 pm

You can’t just throw out variables that don’t suit your argument
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3828: Aug 20, 2019 08:28:46 pm
      You can’t just throw out variables that don’t suit your argument

And you can't misrepresent what I actually wrote. I even said "excepting the two senior players" before the part you quoted about "fairly similar" -  so tossing those averages was an unfair representation of what I was trying to say .

You made a very good point about Chelsea having a stellar youth team and the idea of the others being lifted by the presence of those two.

You don't think the performance indicates a cause for concern re our young players, and I am not so sure.  That's all.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3829: Aug 20, 2019 09:36:34 pm
      And you can't misrepresent what I actually wrote. I even said "excepting the two senior players" before the part you quoted about "fairly similar" -  so tossing those averages was an unfair representation of what I was trying to say .

You made a very good point about Chelsea having a stellar youth team and the idea of the others being lifted by the presence of those two.

You don't think the performance indicates a cause for concern re our young players, and I am not so sure.  That's all.

Batshuayi scores their first 2 goals.

Kelleher is only back from injury.

van den Berg will take time to get up to speed.

Their 3rd goal came after Larouci, Hoever & Brewster had been taken off.

Take what you want out of it but I wouldn't be concerned about it.

60 minutes in the bag for 3 players who will be in the first team squad this season and a game back for a keeper we might need.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3830: Aug 21, 2019 12:50:18 am
      Can anyone ID the youth player training with the first team in today's Inside Training video? Going by still pics on the official site, it kind of looks like U18 midfielder Leighton Clarkson, but I'm not sure. I don't recall seeing this player with the first team before. Kid must have felt like Christmas came in August this year.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3831: Aug 21, 2019 10:34:42 am
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3832: Aug 24, 2019 01:20:52 pm
      Watching the Liverpool U18s on LFC TV Go vs. Wolves. I wondered if maybe some supporters would stop out on their way to Anfield for later. Apparently not,, as all you can hear besides the commentary is the Wolves' coaches screaming out every kick of the ball to their players. One of my biggest pet peeves in football and something I thought didn't happen nearly as much with youth football in UK as it does over here.

I always wanted to tell the coach: "You know, they're not listening to you. Save it for halftime. Save your breath and save our chance to enjoy watching this.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3833: Aug 24, 2019 02:43:14 pm
      The midfielder Leighton Clarkson very good technically. Sprays the ball all around the park and delivers well from deep or wide. Needs to fill out a bit physically of course, ,but with his vision, skill and temperament (judging by his interview on LFC TV), he could be a good player for us someday. Hope so.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3834: Aug 26, 2019 02:44:36 am
      U23s at Southampton Monday at 7 p.m. BST on LFC TV.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #3835: Aug 26, 2019 02:19:57 pm
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3836: Aug 26, 2019 02:29:08 pm

Strange indeed. Loaning him out overseas at his age seems to contradict what we usually do.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3837: Aug 26, 2019 08:00:23 pm
      Up 2-1 at halftime vs. Southampton. Team certainly looking more dangerous than last game. Brewster scored on a 1-2 with Curtis Jones. Kijana Hoever has been the young player looking closest to the first team for me so far this season, but he totally gifted them a goal, trying dribble out of trouble in his own area and giving it away instead. Curtis Jones then put the team up on an assist from Adam Lewis before Brewster a good chance for a 2nd.

Jones, Lewis and Sepp Van Den Berg have looked best for us so far. Sepp is so cool on the ball. Harvey Elliott and Brewster also getting involved.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #3838: Aug 26, 2019 08:40:17 pm
      With glatzel injured and Duncan off it seems like brewster is our only striker at this level
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #3839: Aug 26, 2019 09:15:50 pm
      Finished 4-2 .under 23's first win of the season
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3840: Aug 26, 2019 09:26:58 pm
      Finished 4-2 .under 23's first win of the season

Chirivella and Longstaff scored the goals. Hoever good in the 2nd half with some strong runs forward and a goal-saving tackle. Lewis and Jones probably the players of the match for us. Chirivella not going to be a first team player for us, but his poise in the middle is good for this team, helps set the stage for the younger talents to perform well.

Quick Reply