Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Liverpool FC Academy Youth Team Thread

Read 463628 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Liverpool FC Academy Youth Team Thread
      Reply #4025: Jan 16, 2020 04:16:49 pm
      My last post has me thinking, has there been a U23 match all season where a first team regular who needed a game has featured for the younger team? I can't think of a single time. In the old days with the Reserves it wasn't an unusual thing at all. It's still possible I know as Michael Rudiger played against us for Chelsea's U23 team earlier this season.

I wonder if Jürgen values the midweek training game the team plays as a more useful match fitness exercise for veterans (and even some of the younger players who train with the first team). A guy like Joel Matip for instance who has been training for a week or so now but might not get a game for a bit would be a situation where you'd think he could play a match for the U23s (or in a bounce game behind closed doors), but I'm not sure Jürgen ever does this.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #4026: Jan 16, 2020 04:51:34 pm
      My last post has me thinking, has there been a U23 match all season where a first team regular who needed a game has featured for the younger team? I can't think of a single time. In the old days with the Reserves it wasn't an unusual thing at all. It's still possible I know as Michael Rudiger played against us for Chelsea's U23 team earlier this season.

I wonder if Jürgen values the midweek training game the team plays as a more useful match fitness exercise for veterans (and even some of the younger players who train with the first team). A guy like Joel Matip for instance who has been training for a week or so now but might not get a game for a bit would be a situation where you'd think he could play a match for the U23s (or in a bounce game behind closed doors), but I'm not sure Jürgen ever does this.

Pretty sure most of the players and Pep have said many times that training intensity is at match level or what's the point so you're probably right Rob.

Jürgen does think training is better for them than playing at u23s level.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #4027: Jan 16, 2020 05:05:58 pm
      Think it was last season but Lallana getting sent off for taking a swing at a kid springs to mind as to why it might not get done!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #4028: Jan 17, 2020 03:35:13 pm
      https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/features/382836-behind-the-badge-tim-jenkins-liverpool-fc-academy-u23s-analysis

Very interesting about analytics at the U23 level (and even younger). I wonder if it was involved in the recruitment of Joe Hardie.

Seems like a pretty thoughtful guy and definitely involved in synthesizing the numbers and the eyeball evaluations.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #4029: Jan 17, 2020 07:04:03 pm
      Going young against Wigan,decent crowd. interesting bit Carra's lad is with wigans u-18 team that beat Spurs in the youth cup.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #4030: Jan 17, 2020 07:08:38 pm
      Going young against Wigan,decent crowd. interesting bit Carra's lad is with wigans u-18 team that beat Spurs in the youth cup.

"Watching" now at work (phone tucked in upper desk drawer, phones in while...typing).

Hoever at right back. Adam Lewis on bench nice to see.

Winterbottom
      Hoever, Van den Berg, Boyes, Gallacher
      Clarkson, Dixon-Bonner, Cain
      Bearne, Hardie, Millar

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #4031: Jan 17, 2020 07:11:01 pm
      Wigan up 1-0 on a corner. Apparently when their players move into the 6-yard box on a set piece, someone is supposed to mark those.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #4032: Jan 17, 2020 07:11:52 pm
      urgh horrible goal.gonna be a long night for our keeper if we don't switch on from the set pieces.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #4033: Jan 17, 2020 07:19:24 pm
      OK gonna blame that miss on the rain! Can they do it on a wet friday in Leyland.should be level if not ahead.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #4034: Jan 17, 2020 07:28:50 pm
      OK gonna blame that miss on the rain! Can they do it on a wet friday in Leyland.should be level if not ahead.

I believe your English term for this is "pissing down" yeah?
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #4035: Jan 18, 2020 06:03:20 pm
      I believe your English term for this is "pissing down" yeah?
      Yeah,Pissing down or lashing down
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #4036: Jan 25, 2020 02:14:31 pm
      Watching the U18s rout Sunderland, 3-0 at 82 minutes.

Layton Stewart has two and he looks a very good prospect. Tom Hill scored the other.

Center back Remi Savage has also impressed today - and midfielder Tyler Morton who I don't remember seeing before, has a good football brain.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #4037: Jan 25, 2020 02:22:26 pm
      Watching the U18s rout Sunderland, 3-0 at 82 minutes.

Layton Stewart has two and he looks a very good prospect. Tom Hill scored the other.

Center back Remi Savage has also impressed today - and midfielder Tyler Morton who I don't remember seeing before, has a good football brain.

Hat trick at the death for Stewart, Audacious effort.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8461 
      Reply #4038: Jan 25, 2020 02:46:30 pm
      Think it was last season but Lallana getting sent off for taking a swing at a kid springs to mind as to why it might not get done!

Hahaha imagine if he connected, he'd be out for about two months with a fractured wrist :laugh:
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #4039: Jan 25, 2020 04:02:33 pm
      Hat trick at the death for Stewart, Audacious effort.

Forgot this was on,https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/academy/384352-liverpool-u18s-v-sunderland-match-report.have to hunt down the highlights.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #4040: Jan 25, 2020 05:30:45 pm

The third goal for Stewart alone is worth it, but the team played well throughout.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #4041: Jan 29, 2020 03:32:06 pm
      The third goal for Stewart alone is worth it, but the team played well throughout.

Still not seen em. I checked the schedule to watch then just completely forgot,did see the womens team score 8 against Blackburn in the cup.U-23's play wolves today in the international cup,then Arsenal in the league on  saturday.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #4042: Jan 29, 2020 03:45:05 pm

Still not seen em. I checked the schedule to watch then just completely forgot,did see the womens team score 8 against Blackburn in the cup.U-23's play wolves today in the international cup,then Arsenal in the league on  saturday.

OK, the U18 highlights from that game are on the official site.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #4043: Jan 29, 2020 07:40:31 pm
      yeah,i don't pay for highlights.I just checked the u-23 score 1-0 down after 30 minutes.Larouci went off after 20 replaced by Lewis.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,264 posts | 796 
      Reply #4044: Jan 29, 2020 08:41:26 pm
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #4045: Jan 29, 2020 10:51:55 pm
      quick edit before posting for inappropriate comment by me!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #4046: Jan 30, 2020 01:58:48 am
      Team fought back for 2-2 draw and qualified for quarterfinal. More importantly, this is probably the team that will play Shrewsbury on Tuesday, with the addition (maybe) of Curtis Jones. I think they wanted this group together so Neco, Yasser and Harvey went back with the U23s despite playing a full match just Sunday.

Kelleher, Williams, Hoever, Van den Berg, Larouci (Lewis, 23), Clarkson, Cain, Chirivella, Elliott, Millar, Hardy.
      Unused substitutes: Winterbottom, Boyes, Dixon-Bonner, Gallacher, Bearne, Varesanovic.

Unfortunately Larouci went out injured, as Boston mentioned. But Adam Lewis was one of our most promising prospects and took part  in the American tour before getting injured early this season.
      Curtis might not play as he will likely be in the first team 18 again Saturday, and if Divock cannot play he might even get a start.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,264 posts | 796 
      Reply #4047: Jan 30, 2020 08:36:03 am
      He's literally got the world at his feet that lad and he's got exactly the right manager to guide him.

Stay grounded Harvey.

100% pal.

The sky is the limit for this young lad and as you say under the guidance of Jürgen he has every chance of making it to the very top.

Quick Reply