Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Liverpool FC Academy Youth Team Thread

Read 463368 times
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Re: YOUNG REDS HALFWAY TO THE FINAL
      Reply #23: Mar 11, 2007 12:26:46 pm
      I have to say, I'm dumbfounded when I log onto Liverpool forums (admittedly not this one) and find people slating our youth policy when we're getting results liike this. A lot of people seem to think that cos we can't field a whole team of 18-20 year olds that can compete in the prem like Arsenal, our youth system's cr@p. Well, remember Wenger's been with Arsenal for 10 years, and it's only the last 2-3 that we've started seeing these youngsters coming through to the first team. We have the most promising bunch of kids out there at the moment, Ajdarevic, Flynn & Lindfield are gonna be stars of the future if they continue as they are, and in the closer future we can look forward to Hobbs, Antwi, Roque, Anderson, Hammill & Brouwer. The future's bright my friends, and personally I can't wait.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: Young reds half-way to the Final (FA Youth Cup)
      Reply #24: Mar 11, 2007 12:53:55 pm
      I have to say, I'm dumbfounded when I log onto Liverpool forums (admittedly not this one) and find people slating our youth policy when we're getting results liike this. A lot of people seem to think that cos we can't field a whole team of 18-20 year olds that can compete in the prem like Arsenal, our youth system's cr@p. Well, remember Wenger's been with Arsenal for 10 years, and it's only the last 2-3 that we've started seeing these youngsters coming through to the first team. We have the most promising bunch of kids out there at the moment, Ajdarevic, Flynn & Lindfield are gonna be stars of the future if they continue as they are, and in the closer future we can look forward to Hobbs, Antwi, Roque, Anderson, Hammill & Brouwer. The future's bright my friends, and personally I can't wait.

Arsenal have effectively bought their youth system, or more accurately their reserve team, Rafa seems to be from the same school of thought as Wenger in that he is buying 'youngsters' for the reserve team but the youth side seems to be filled with more of the academy crop.

I think its a good system he has got in place personally.

The only thing is that there doesn't seem to have been any room to have kept the likes of Dudek, Fowler et al playing when they haven't been cutting it in the first team.  For instance, Gonzalez - he had problems settling in (maybe still is) but I don't think he has hardly played for the reserves.

I'm pleased for the lads and I sincerely hope some of them do break through to the first team.
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #25: Mar 12, 2007 11:48:00 am
      When is the game to be played at anfield
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #26: Mar 12, 2007 02:41:31 pm
      The game at Anfield is on the 19th of March, 7pm K.O.
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      Reply #27: Mar 12, 2007 02:50:15 pm
      Thank you for that, do you know if its £4.00 to get in like it was last time
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #28: Mar 12, 2007 03:18:20 pm
      Hmmm it didn't say mate. I looked at the FA's website for it. I can't see it being more than five quid to get in on the night though.
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reds in Youth Cup Final - Again!!
      Reply #29: Mar 19, 2007 09:07:43 pm
      Liverpool Under-18s are in the final of the FA Youth Cup following a dramatic night of football at Anfield played out in front of a delighted Rafa Benitez. 

The young Reds came from behind to beat Newcastle 3-1 on the night, 7-3 on aggregate, thanks to a Craig Lindfield brace and a late scorcher from Jimmy Ryan.

Both sides had a man sent off in a fiery encounter, Astrit Ajdarevic receiving a straight red for the hosts following a rash challenge early in the second half.

The holders will now battle it out against Manchester United or Arsenal as they seek to become only the fifth team to retain the trophy since its inception in 1953.

Coach John Owens was worried complacency would creep in following the 4-2 first-leg victory at St James' Park, and his fears were not eased on 28 minutes when the visitors broke the deadlock following a defensive lapse from a corner.

Newcastle's aerial ability was there for all to see 10 days ago, so the Liverpool bench would have been furious when visiting captain Rob Cavener was given a free header inside the six-yard box. He couldn't miss.

Six of tonight's starting line-up took part in last year's final when the Reds almost surrendered a 3-0 lead over Manchester City. Now, 4,034 spectators huddled together in the Kop were beginning to wonder if they'd learned their lesson.

It wasn't as if the Reds hadn't been warned. The Magpies twice came close during the opening exchanges, striker Andy Carroll forcing a fine save from Danish stopper Martin Hansen on 13 minutes.

From the resulting corner Reds' captain Jay Spearing was forced into a hero-clearance off the line.

Steve Heighway's side were not short of ideas themselves, Ryan Flynn rounding Mark Cook in the Newcastle goal early on only for his finish to let him down.

Minutes later Jimmy Ryan, always one for a pot shot, drove a fierce effort narrowly wide.

It may have been a night for long sleeves, but perhaps the young Reds needed a dressing down at half-time. Whatever was said in the Liverpool dressing room, it certainly did the trick.

Just three minutes after the break the aggregate score became 5-3. Cook could only parry a speculative effort from Ray Putterill, and Craig Lindfield was on hand to convert from close range. It was just what the doctor, or Steve Heighway, ordered.

What happened next certainly was not. The impressive Swede Astrit Ajdarevic, normally so composed in the middle of the park, was shown a straight red following a rash challenge of Carroll.

Liverpool responded well to the sending off, however, and could have opened a three-goal aggregate margin when the head of Ray Putterill met an inswinging corner from Charlie Barnett. Unfortunately the resulting header dipped agonisingly over.

The reigning champions didn't have to wait long to make amends, though. Again the goal followed a mistake from Cook and again it was Lindfield who was on hand to tap in to an empty net.

The scores may no longer have been level, but the numbers soon were when Magpies Kazenga Lua-Lua was ordered off the field for dissent.

Newcastle, who've achieved the unenviable feat of two semi-final defeats in two years, never recovered.

Their misery was complete on 83 minutes when Jimmy Ryan bulged the net with a 25-yard scorcher.

Arsenal or United await the Reds in a two-leg final, with the Gunners currently holding a 1-0 lead going into the second leg at Old Trafford.

man of the match: Jay Spearing.

Attendance: 4,034

Liverpool Under-18s: Hansen, Darby (Kelly 84), Burns, Spearing (capt), Threlfall, Barnett, Ryan, Ajdarevic, Lindfield (Scott 89), Flynn, Putterill (Irwin 81).

Newcastle Under-18s: Cook, Cowan, Critchlow, Taylor (Francis 79), Morris, Cavener (capt), Godsmark (Marwood 86), Doninger, Carroll, Donaldson (Grieve 87), Lua-Lua.

Well done lads good luck in the final,and lets hope a few of them are good enough to progress into the first team.

« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2007 09:35:54 pm by Glenbuck »
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Re: REDS IN YOUTH CUP FINAL AGAIN
      Reply #30: Mar 19, 2007 10:25:09 pm
      Well done GLENBUCK for the match report. It's great to keep up with events when you're not local. Brilliant achievment lads, best of luck for the final...
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: REDS IN YOUTH CUP FINAL AGAIN
      Reply #31: Mar 19, 2007 11:10:35 pm
      Indeed well done lads!!! I went down tonight to give some support.

All in all, a job very well done! First half was a bit scrappy but we started off well and had a good bit of the ball. It went a bit stale after they scored though. Was very impressed with Jay Spearing. Very hard worker outshining the defence. He done well dealing with some of those tall geordies!!! Second half we took control and our quality was too much for them. Loads of play breaking down the flanks and neat one touch passing. Craig Lindfield done well with his goals. Anticipated their goalie fumbling the ball after a few shots and he got his rewards. And Jimmy Ryan's goal was a pure beauty from just outside the box. Wallop!
      Was a shame Astrit Ajdarevic got sent off. Looked like he kicked out after jumping up for a challenge. Well played by Stevies lads!! If they play like they did in the second half, in the final, then they've got a very good chance! Good luck young redmen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Tell you what though. It was sooo good walking out of the kop, getting in my car that was parked up just yards away and put the heater on full blast!! ;D It usually makes better sense to just walk to the ground!!!
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      Youth in the cup final
      Reply #32: Mar 20, 2007 07:33:11 am
      Well done are lads getting to the final.

The under-18s won last night 3-1 beating Newcastle, and winning 7-3 on aggregate.

Raffa was there to see his youngsters get to the F.A. youth final again.

The final will be between Arsenal of Man.U.

I was there, and it was a cold night, but well worth going, the mighty young reds.

Does any body know is the final over 2 legs again??

Well done to the team and the youth couch John Owens.
      Sorry should say Arsenal or Man.U
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Re: Reds in Youth Cup Final - Again!!
      Reply #33: Mar 20, 2007 08:55:16 am
      yeah, the final is always over 2 legs, I would really like to watch the youth team to see how the young reds are gettin on.....

I was abit dissapointed with the attendence tho, 4,034?

In the other leg Arsenal/Utd the attendence was 30,000+!!!

anyway well done boys, I'll be watchin the final (as on tv!!)

banksiemagic
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts |
      Reply #34: Mar 20, 2007 09:43:53 am
      Well done again to the young fellas. a good stuffing of the scum in the final would be very satisfactory! not sure about finals over 2 legs though, a final (of any event) should be a special one off. imagine if the olympic 100M final was run over 2 legs!
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #35: Mar 20, 2007 11:36:36 am
      Aww well done.. And good luck for the final ;D
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #36: Mar 20, 2007 02:05:51 pm
      Win or loose, this is a great achievement from the young Lads. We have some great youth players and the future looks very bright and exiting. During the season our Academy system has been unfairly criticized, when we were beaten in both cups by Arsenal, but these Lads are a lot younger than the Arsenal players every one was raving about. And I fully expect a few of them to make the grade at our club and follow in the foot steps of McManaman, Fowler, Carra and Gerrard.
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      Reply #37: Mar 20, 2007 08:13:45 pm
      I have to say, i was also very disappointed at the attendance, just over 4,000.

I hope it will be a lot better for the final, would be nice to think that 20 to 30,000 would be there singing them on.

Its only £4.00 to get in, good night out, and you see are up and coming stars.
      The first leg of the FA Youth Cup final will be played at Anfield on Monday, April 16, with the return leg three days later. 
      Liverpool face either Manchester United or Arsenal as they seek to become only the fifth side to retain the trophy. The Gunners currently hold a 1-0 lead in that semi going into the Old Trafford leg on April 2.

Both legs of the final kick-off at 7.45pm and will be shown live on Sky Sports.

Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #38: Mar 20, 2007 08:23:55 pm
      Seeing as though were on a youth team topic could i just say get well soon to Francisco Duran who will be out for six months with a cruciate ligament injury. Just joined us and he gets a bad injury, i have heard good things about him so lets hope he comes back fully recovered.
      bigkarl
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #39: Mar 20, 2007 08:31:04 pm
      Great news. unfortunately over here we get next to nothing on the youth teams, nothing i like better than watching out for new talent breaking through!

Any of these lads going to be real stars, ie a new Owen Gerrard or Carragher amongst them!

Have heard a bit about Lindfield but none of the others!
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #40: Apr 03, 2007 12:07:35 am
      Bump!!!! We meet are good friends Man URE is the Final, Now there's a bit of spice for the young Lads ;)
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #41: Apr 03, 2007 12:15:27 am
      Indeed we do!! Anyone going the home leg? Our young guns need our support!
      scallyon
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts |
      Reply #42: Apr 07, 2007 08:45:50 pm
      Onece again top notch I hope  some of these lads make it to first team action. 8) 8) 8)
      gerrard8
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 100 posts |
      Reply #43: Apr 08, 2007 11:03:04 pm
      go on ladz
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Reply #44: Apr 16, 2007 03:28:28 pm
      Good luck to the lads tonight.

Get yourself down to Anfield - £4 in the Kop to support the reds in the 1st leg of the final against Man United.

I've gone for a reds 3-1 win tonight (18/1 with VC).

Hopefully most of the first team should be there supporting the kids, along with Rafa.
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #45: Apr 16, 2007 05:00:02 pm
      Good luck lads!!

Quick Reply