Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Liverpool FC Academy Youth Team Thread

Read 463312 times
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Re: Reds in Youth Cup Final - Again!!
      Reply #46: Apr 16, 2007 05:09:26 pm
      OMG Jabba I would soo go if I was up near you lot ;D

It's tonight isn't it? They have 2 legs in a final.. I find that quite.. weird.. ???
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #47: Apr 16, 2007 05:28:50 pm
      Good luck lads, stuff the mancunian bas**rds!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #48: Apr 16, 2007 06:42:31 pm
      yep these two legs could be quite good, shame I'm brassic wouldn't of mind going tonight

will be watching on sky, funny how Arsene's embryo's aren't in the final isn't.

Especially as everyone in media were fawning all over arsenal's youngsters in jan
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #49: Apr 16, 2007 06:53:31 pm
      davie t
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 501 posts |
      Reply #50: Apr 16, 2007 07:25:50 pm
      Good luck lads lets show the mancs how to play football :champ:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #51: Apr 16, 2007 07:44:02 pm
      It was a tenner in.  If Jabba thought it was £4 he will have turned straight round ;D
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #52: Apr 16, 2007 08:35:24 pm
      Half time, 1-0 to us. Lindfield with the goal
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #53: Apr 16, 2007 09:43:43 pm
      Liverpool under-18s have much to do if they are to retain the FA Youth Cup after going down 2-1 to Manchester United at Anfield on Monday night. 
      The Reds lost the first leg of the final in front of Rafa Benitez, Alex Ferguson and 19,518 spectators despite taking an early lead through Craig Lindfield.

A second-half penalty from United captain Sam Hewson and an own goal from defender Robbie Threlfall left Steve Heighway's men with a small mountain to climb in the return leg at Old Trafford on April 26.

It was United who created the game's first chance when Febian Brandy broke free on eight minutes only to blast his 20-yard effort narrowly wide of Martin Hansen's goal.

Six minutes later Brandy's strike-partner Christopher Fagan also ran clear, but this time the shot was spooned towards the corner flag.

The Reds, meanwhile, seemed to be settling into their stride and showed no signs of being overawed by the occasion nor the cameras. In fact, Gerrard, Carragher, Reina and Alonso in the directors' box were witnessing some of the best football the youngsters had produced throughout this season's cup campaign.

It wasn't too long before their tidy football paid dividends when Ray Putterill, who's clearly learnt a thing or two about wingplay from Academy director Steve Heighway, supplied a teasing cross for the onrushing Lindfield. The striker bravely beat United keeper Ron-Robert Zieler to head home his fourth Youth Cup goal of the season and make it 1-0 after 16 minutes.

Somewhat stunned, the visitors tried to build up a head of steam but were more often than not thwarted by a dogged Liverpool backline.

The game was being played in good spirit, helped by some common-sense refereeing from Mark Clattenburg.

On 21 minutes a goalmouth scramble teed up Brandy, but his acrobatic effort dropped harmlessly into the Anfield Road hoardings.

Ten minutes later Fagan forced a superb save from the holders' Danish keeper after an excellent run down the left by danger-man Daniel Welbeck.

Despite having more shots on goal, United, without defensive linchpin Craig Cathcart because of a first-team call-up, were frequently made to look vulnerable by some superb deliveries into the box.

Manager Paul McGuinness will have demanded his side make their pressure pay in the second half – and he didn't have to wait long for his wish to be granted.

Reds centre-back Threlfall will doubtless have dreamt about heading the ball in at the Kop end, but what happened on 50 minutes was the stuff of nightmares.

The defender, aiming to nod out for a corner, was dealt a terrible slice of luck when the ball crashed past a helpless Hansen and into the net. United, chasing a record 10th Youth Cup, were level.

To be fair, Steve Heighway's side, who were without the suspended Astrit Ajdarevic, never let their heads drop, and they nearly went back in front on 66 minutes when Jimmy Ryan drilled a fierce shot into the side netting.

Minutes later the impressive Ray Putterill curled over from 15 yards. The Kop was starting to find its voice.

Unfortunately, they were soon to be silenced. Seventeen minutes were left on the clock when captain fantastic Jay Spearing downed Brandy in the box. Hewson made no mistake from the spot despite the best efforts of the Kop to unnerve him.

Liverpoolfc.tv man-of-the match: Ray Putterill.

Liverpool: Hansen, Darby, Burns, Spearing (capt), Threlfall, Barnett, Ryan, Flynn, Lindfield, Woodward (Eccleston 67), Putterill. Subs not used: Irwin, Roberts, Highdale, Parsonage.

Man Utd: Zieler, Eckersley, Evans, Strickland, Chester, Drinkwater (Bryan 74), Welbeck, Hewson (capt), Brandy (James 90), Fagan, Galbraith. Subs not used: McCormack, Woods, Moffatt. 
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #54: Apr 16, 2007 09:51:48 pm
      Well that was a bit of a shame wasn't it.

Second half the ball just didn't seem to go for us did it. And I feel Jay Spearing was a bit unlucky giving the pen away. He did try pull out of the challenge but it was too late.
      Still another leg to play though. Sure Stevie H will do his homework!

Anyone go tonight?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #55: Apr 17, 2007 12:45:38 am
      Good attendance that.

Must be hard when you're young in the red shirt.  I'd probably try and crunch a United player too.  Maybe he had just seen Ferguson in the crowd. Red mist and everything.

We'll batter them in the next leg.

Or they can have this, and we'll have big ears?

He's a bit of a meat-head looking kid that Spearing isn't he.  Wouldn't mess with him.
      Johnnowhite
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 60 posts |
      Reply #56: Apr 17, 2007 08:13:26 am
      By all accounts this was a typical 'Pool v. United game - no quarter asked or given but played in a pretty good spirit throughout.
      Our man at the match (the United message board) summed it up very nearly the same as the report in this thread does. Good to see close on 20K turning out for the youngsters - although I hope that the attendance might be even better in the 2nd leg at Old Trafford on the 26th.
      These kids are the future of both our clubs so they bloodywell deserve to be better supported by today's fans.
      Very good to see a bevvy of Liverpool first-teamers were there last night - it shows the kids that the big lads - and millionaires - DO care.
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #57: Apr 17, 2007 09:37:52 am
      20k.. That's more than Cardiff get to 1st team games :o Haha!

I saw that we'd scored, then the bf text me at about 11pm and said we'd lost, I was gutted :( I know it's only the Youth, but I soo wanna beat the Mancs!!

When is the next leg?
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Youth Cup Second Leg
      Reply #58: Apr 18, 2007 04:19:30 pm
      This was taken from the Liverpool website:

Liverpool must win the second leg at Old Trafford a week on Thursday by two clear goals if they are to secure back-to-back victories in prestigious Youth tournament.

Having read the report after the game it said away golas do not count in this compition, does anybody know why we would need to win by 2 clear goals???

???
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Re: Youth Cup Second Leg
      Reply #59: Apr 18, 2007 04:21:39 pm
      Maybe they do.. If it was 1-2 to the Mancs.. The only thing I can think of is the away goal rule ???
      banksiemagic
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts |
      Reply #60: Apr 18, 2007 07:50:15 pm
      at a guess....... if we only win by 1 the game is all square! winning by 2 would make it 3-2 to us. whatever the final score is, we need to score 2 more than them to win more cos we're 1 down. if away goals were counting double, then we could win 1-0 and win the tie. as they're not, we can't!
      « Last Edit: Apr 18, 2007 07:51:59 pm by banksiemagic »
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #61: Apr 18, 2007 07:52:41 pm
      This was taken from the Liverpool website:

Liverpool must win the second leg at Old Trafford a week on Thursday by two clear goals if they are to secure back-to-back victories in prestigious Youth tournament.

Having read the report after the game it said away golas do not count in this compition, does anybody know why we would need to win by 2 clear goals???

???
      I'm know mathematician mate but we need to win by at least two clear goals to win the cup because if its only by one it will have been a draw on aggregate. 2-1 at Anfield to the mancs 2-1 at Dracula's Castle for us = 3-3 on aggregate.

Tomorrow I will be taking you through Pythagoras theory, so dont be late. ;D

Banksie mate that made complete sense to me, i think? ;)
      « Last Edit: Apr 18, 2007 07:54:39 pm by Glenbuck »
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Reply #62: Apr 18, 2007 09:46:08 pm
      I am now completely lost.  ???
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      Reply #63: Apr 19, 2007 08:55:30 am
      ah right, that does make complete sense and I think it was pretty obvious really!

Late in the day and I couldnt get my head round it!!

Cheers guys
      Cy
      Reply #64: Apr 19, 2007 02:32:34 pm
      here is the link for tonight game..come on lads..

http://www.myp2p.eu/Matches/Match2.htm

My mistake, it's the replay..

« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2007 02:53:48 pm by Cy »
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      Reply #65: Apr 19, 2007 02:41:47 pm
      Tonights game??

I thought it was next Thursday??

Cy
      Reply #66: Apr 19, 2007 02:49:07 pm
      you right mate..that is a replay..sorry about that guys..
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #67: Apr 19, 2007 04:31:18 pm
      Its a link for tonights reserve league game against Satans eleven at the racecourse ground.

Liverpool Res vs Man Utd Res Thu 19 Apr 07 19:00

« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2007 04:33:23 pm by Glenbuck »
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #68: Apr 19, 2007 05:13:20 pm
      Why do they play at Wrexham instead of Anfield? Cos it's smaller and less people go? How far away is Wrexham from Liverpool? Shame it looks like they're gonna get relegated :(

Good luck tonight Liverpool!! Don't care if it's the blydi 10th team, let's beat the Mancs!!

Quick Reply