Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

Fitness thread

Read 232272 times
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Re: Fitness thread
      Reply #161: Mar 07, 2008 11:36:50 pm
      I've seen progress in myself. The gym assistant made me a program and its worked a treat since. I've noticed that a lot of people work on one part of their bodys too much, a program with make sure everything is balanced out just right! ;)

Yeh you look quite big, is that hair on your chest?
      MsGerrard
      Reply #162: Mar 07, 2008 11:39:50 pm
      How about this then? We put out the net, and went back to it at 1 in the morning when the tide is very low. Plenty of delicious Mediterranean fish :P

I find it funny how a lot of people only know or eat the basic fish like Salmon, Tuna, Haddock, Cod etc.. but do you know what this is? Time to guess lads ;)

Sea Bass is beautiful fish, expensive though.

Don't know what they are Ra Ra?
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #163: Mar 07, 2008 11:48:29 pm
      Sea Bass is beautiful fish, expensive though.

Don't know what they are Ra Ra?

Yes Sea Bass is very tasty. But this fish is grey mallet, not as nice as red mallet which is time to catch in spring time. In the summer catching a lot of fish is very tough, some of the fish out there they do not have at all in this country so I can't give you an English name to them all.

However I love sole, the fish that swims on one side. There are plenty more fish, but these are the common ones out there, but not out here :D
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #164: Mar 08, 2008 12:52:39 am
      I am well pleased with my effort this weekend in the

I'll submit a full race report when I get a a spare half hour! :P ;)

So here goes!
      My head hit the pillow at 00:45 on Sunday morning and I didn't get the best nights' sleep but I was up and was wide awake by 7:30am. I was pleased to see a blue sky as I peeped through the bedroom curtains but the trees in my Dads' garden were rocking with the wind! I made a lame attempt at eating breakfast as my dad had run out of cereal so I settled for a brew instead! We were out the door and off to Sefton Park by 8:45am. Fortune was shining on us as we rolled up to the park and we got the prime parking spot as close to the start as was possible, bonus!
         As with most early race starts I was unsure if to go with the long sleeves and leggings or the sleeveless and shorts, I opted for the later. I questioned my choice further as I qued up for the start as there was an announcement of a 15min delay...trying to keep warm here - in the wind! ::) My Dad was at the start see me off as he was last year too, a nice touch that as I rarely, if ever, have anyone I know supporting me at a race. This was my home town Half Marathon and I was determined to do well in this race for many reasons. I phoned my Mum just before the start of the race to wish her a Happy Mother's Day and said I would dedicate the race to her as it was her special day!  ;) :-*
         So the time came to run and the start was marked by a blast from a big Army field gun, this was a poignant moment for the soldiers present to commemorate the passing of a colleague in action abroad.

Start / Finish area: Come Together

Mile 1: 7:25 I'll Be On My Way

Mile 2: 7:44 - 15:50 The Long And Winding Road

Mile 3: 8:09 - 23:19 Don't Pass Me By

Mile 4: 7:55 - 31:15 All Together Now

Mile 5: 7:43 - 38:58 Inside 40mins / 8min miles ;) I Feel Fine

Mile 6: 8:36 - 47:34 Why Don't We Do It In The Road

Mile 7: 7:57 - 55:32 With A Little Help From My Friends

Mile 8: 8:37 - 64:09 Missed my 8min miles by 9secs ::) It Won't Be Long

Mile 9: 8:49 - 72:59 I Should have Known Better

Mile 10: 9:30 - 82:29 Stopped for a leak by a bush! ::) Ask Me Why
      That's the vertical flat bit in the yellow line... all 1 minute and 1 second of it!  ::)

Mile 11: 10:07 - 92:36 I'm So Tired

Mile 12: 9:35 - 102:11 Don't Let Me Down

Mile 13: 10:03 - 112:15 The hardest mile by a mile! The End!

Fastest Time: - 01:08:01 * My time: - 1:52:15 * Overall Position: - 1579 of 3433

Category Position: - 889 of 1550 M 35-40 * Gender Position: - 1364 of 2454 (Males)

Total Participants: - 3433 * Total Male Participants: - 2454 * Total Female Participants: - 979

All in all a satisfactory attempt and a whole 4 minutes than last week's effort in the Brighton Half Marathon! :gt-happyup: At the finish a nice medal was handed out with a great goody bag with some Ocean Spray cranberry products and a Bertolli pasta box set! Run Liverpool never disappoint with the medals they produce and I am starting a great little collection now with 2 Half Marathons, 2 Santa Dashes and a Tunnel 10K (which I'll miss this year) :( - it's the day before the Cork City marathon!  ;) Hands up who wants to know what I'll be doing this weekend? Something very crazy I might add....  :o ;)
      « Last Edit: Mar 08, 2008 09:18:34 am by RED1028 »
      MsGerrard
      Reply #165: Mar 08, 2008 12:58:09 am
      Great Stuff Marathon Man ;)
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #166: Mar 08, 2008 01:30:43 am

Not too quick with the praise, the BIG ONE is just under 3 months away an I have a lot of work to do before then...!  :P
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #167: Mar 09, 2008 12:56:47 pm
      Yea tuna is a quality source of protein but gets a little dull after a while. Turkey is good also as are skinless breast fillets.

Lazyfingers mate i bench 100kg last time i checked (2 weeks ago) I dont do deadlifts nor squats not a fan of exercising the back so much yet.
      LazyFingers
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 892 posts | 22 
      Reply #168: Mar 09, 2008 01:14:33 pm
      That's damn impressive man! I got 70kg x 6 last night, might get as strong as you're are now in three months hopefully!

And when ya start working your back and legs you'll love it, the burn after squats lasts for days!
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #169: Mar 09, 2008 11:32:34 pm
      Yes I did 100 kg x 6 just that one set, I am quite cotent with benching 80-85 when i do chest for the time being. Mind you when I did bench my max i just started a creatine cycle, mate that sh*t works. As for squats I am quite tall so it feels uncordinated when I do them, that is why I am avoiding them. Besides 10 years of football has given me enough meat around the leg area.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #170: Mar 12, 2008 02:05:10 pm
      havnt trained since 7 days ago... not that well anyway. hope my muscles dont decrease alot
      LazyFingers
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 892 posts | 22 
      Reply #171: Mar 12, 2008 08:13:13 pm
      Muscle memory man! ;)
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #172: Mar 26, 2008 10:59:29 pm
      Woah! It's quiet in this thread isn't it? (I've been too busy to post my race reports!)

I just got back from Guernsey last night having gone there to participate in the Easter Runs... 4 races in 4 days but alas I only competed in one - the Half marathon on Easter Monday! I was hampered with a calf injury from the previous Saturday and it was touch and go if I could manage the Good Friday 10K but I opted out for the fact I didn't want to miss the Half. The other 2 races were only a 5 mile cross Country and a 5 mile team relay, hardly worth the effort especially as the weather was awful!

I was praying for a miracle regards the weather on Monday and it turned out fine, if still a little cold and windy. This was my 2nd Channel Island Half Marathon, my debut Half being in Jersey in November 2006 - that was cold and windy too! I wanted to push the boat out then to see if I could complete a 13 mile run (10K / 6 miles was my longest distance before that). It came to pass that I scrapped a sub 2hr run by 22 seconds! :f_run: Inspired by that Monday's run was my 8th Half to date and 10th at that distance if you include 2x 20 milers (or 12th if you include 2 Halves make a full Marathon which I did in October!) :P

My times haven't improved greatly but only 2 of the Half times have been over 2hrs so I'm keeping a decent level of fitness and indeed commitment to participate frequently! I have 9 weeks before the Cork Marathon and have at least 2 more Halfs planned plus another 20 miler but who knows what I'll get up to... room for at least another 5 Half Marathons perhaps!

More details to follow!  :f_run: :f_run: :f_run:
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #173: Mar 26, 2008 11:01:21 pm
      I don't like running too much, will use muscle as the fuel. Better for me to do intense short distant running which will make me fitter and help me lose fat only rather than muscle!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #174: Mar 26, 2008 11:36:28 pm
      RED 1028......

Glad you enjoyed Guernsey, pity the weather wasn't better for you.
      At least you managed one race, so well done, and I hope your injuries soon get better.............9 weeks isn't that long away, so keep up with the  :f_run:  once your better. ;D
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #175: Mar 27, 2008 08:42:17 am
      I'm finding that I can now run for longer without having to stop and I reckon I probably covered the quickest 100m in my life too last night, about 15 seconds! (est) feeling alot better for it too even though my legs kill this morning :(
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #176: Mar 27, 2008 01:45:45 pm
      I'm finding that I can now run for longer without having to stop and I reckon I probably covered the quickest 100m in my life too last night, about 15 seconds! (est) feeling alot better for it too even though my legs kill this morning :(

Keep it up mate. I was knackered down the gym yesterday and really didn't know why. When I got home I felt really sick and weak, obviously because of the man flu so I might not be able to train for a while again.

My legs have really toned up latley, as I've been doing loads of cardio!
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #177: Mar 27, 2008 02:31:20 pm
      My legs have really toned up latley, as I've been doing loads of cardio!

Would you say cardio is better for the lower body than running ? as I've found that my legs ache more as I try to warm up prior to a run but because of the cold they feel tensed alot quicker.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #178: Mar 27, 2008 09:31:31 pm
      Dunno if this is of interest to anyone but Tesco are doing a BOGOFF on a pack of 4 Powerade Isotonic drinks, I just got 8 for £2.89 which works out @ around 36p each!
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #179: Mar 27, 2008 10:54:43 pm
      Would you say cardio is better for the lower body than running ? as I've found that my legs ache more as I try to warm up prior to a run but because of the cold they feel tensed alot quicker.

Well I only do weights once a week on my legs, it's the last part of your body you want to bulk up on. Yes your legs do need muscles which are toned, but by doing this there are other ways than doing just weights. Use a stepper, you will start to feel it in your thighs and quads, it's like running up the stairs. I covered 60 floors in 10 minutes and boy was it tireing, probably more tireing than running on the tredmil.

Really running on the tredmill will help you lose weight all over, same goes with the stepper but it'll quickly tone your legs up fast! The ladies like nothing more than a guy with nice legs, so start to tone them up but make sure your upper body is on the same wavelenghts as your lowerbody!
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #180: Mar 28, 2008 09:22:16 pm
      Pisses me off though, as soon as my routine is as good as ever something steps in the way of it.. like a cold or flu. Someone doesn't want me to reach maximum fitness :P
      LazyFingers
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 892 posts | 22 
      Reply #181: Apr 06, 2008 08:25:11 pm
      I've been eating healthy for the last 34 days and because of it I've gone from 89kg to 84.5kg. Fairly happy, over the next ten weeks I want to get 79kg!
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #182: Apr 06, 2008 09:01:16 pm
      Well I think I had a pretty good week this week, I refused some chocolate cake on Monday (which is totally out of character) and I have been running for longer distances without stopping now.  I reckon I can now do about 1.5 mile (not alot but it's getting better) without taking a breather so that's coming along well.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #183: Apr 06, 2008 11:28:41 pm
      Well I think I had a pretty good week this week, I refused some chocolate cake on Monday (which is totally out of character) and I have been running for longer distances without stopping now.  I reckon I can now do about 1.5 mile (not alot but it's getting better) without taking a breather so that's coming along well.

That is well good of you, get in there my friend. Me however, I have been slacking very badly over the last week and a bit. My virus gave me a set back, but I feel better now and ready to shed those unwanted pounds.. that I don't really have anyway :D

Remember that muscles burn calories, not just yourself running thats burning them!

Quick Reply