Fitness thread

Read 225638 times
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Re: Fitness thread
      Reply #1932: Aug 09, 2016 12:58:52 am
      Not sure what happened, retrograde amnesia as well. I've been told I cycled into the back of a lorry and dented it with my head.

Wish you a speedy recovery. Take care of yourself.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1933: Aug 09, 2016 10:13:22 am
      Not sure what happened, retrograde amnesia as well. I've been told I cycled into the back of a lorry and dented it with my head.

'Kin hell mate......look after yourself!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1934: Aug 13, 2016 12:50:24 pm

How are you getting on mate?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1935: Aug 13, 2016 01:01:29 pm

Four weeks ban on cycling and fork lift driving, because of the concussion. Still no memory of it and ribs are sore as F**k.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #1936: Aug 13, 2016 01:06:13 pm
      Four weeks ban on cycling and fork lift driving, because of the concussion. Still no memory of it and ribs are sore as f**k.

Feel sorry for that lorry ;)
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1937: Aug 13, 2016 01:28:44 pm

Felt sorry for the driver, his first day with the company. The paperwork I caused him.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1938: Aug 13, 2016 01:30:58 pm
      Four weeks ban on cycling and fork lift driving, because of the concussion. Still no memory of it and ribs are sore as f**k.

try picking something a bit softer next time. Maybe having no memory of the accident isn't a bad thing mate get well soon.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #1939: Aug 13, 2016 03:52:18 pm
      Felt sorry for the driver, his first day with the company. The paperwork I caused him.

:D
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #1940: Sep 22, 2016 02:38:51 pm
      Been a while since I posted here!  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

Dropped around 10kg in the past 2 years, all while maintaining a perfectly healthy mid 20 year old Irish lad's lifestyle of going on the lash 2 or 3 days every weekend!  ;D Changed my diet a good bit tho, for the better! Eating really is key to health as I have found out over the past few years.

Started doing HIIT classes, then some runs aswell, with a bit of strength & conditioning in between. And maintained playing as much 5/7 a-side as I could. Got much fitter, then upped the anti in all of them. Did a white collar boxing event at the start of the year. Boxing gets you seriously fit, helped by the fact I went off the beer for 3 months (bar 1 weekend trip away to Budapest).  I mean seriously fit! For a period, I was training 5 days a week minimum in HIIT classes/boxing/small weights classes with footie or runs thrown in between for good measure. I was playing footy the week after my boxing fight and was running rings around lads after 90mins plus.

I've done a good few 5k/8k/10k in between and been taking minutes off each run. Trying to break the 40min mark in a 8k this weekend now.

Started a new program lately in the gym which involves a lot more weights, to trying to add some proper mass, in muscle form. It's going well so far, I can notice strength improvements, just gaining size is proving the tough bit. Still early days & I know it's a waiting (pardon the pun  :f_whistle:) game but I'm not a patient person!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1941: Sep 22, 2016 09:08:38 pm
      Started a new program lately in the gym which involves a lot more weights, to trying to add some proper mass, in muscle form. It's going well so far, I can notice strength improvements, just gaining size is proving the tough bit. Still early days & I know it's a waiting (pardon the pun  :f_whistle:) game but I'm not a patient person!

Don't over do the protein, know a few people that have been in the same position so they just started over doing the protein, too many protein shakes etc, does more harm than good. Keep at it with a strict and suitable diet and a good workout plan.

I used to workout a lot, up until the last couple of years. When I was 15 to about 22 I was in really good shape. Don't have the time for it as much these days, but I still try and fit in the odd gym session once or twice a week and certainly don't eat as well as I used to.

Keep at it though lad, it will be a good 6 months at least, whilst doing it all properly before you start to notice any real change in shape.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #1942: Sep 23, 2016 10:17:48 am
      Don't over do the protein, know a few people that have been in the same position so they just started over doing the protein, too many protein shakes etc, does more harm than good. Keep at it with a strict and suitable diet and a good workout plan.

I used to workout a lot, up until the last couple of years. When I was 15 to about 22 I was in really good shape. Don't have the time for it as much these days, but I still try and fit in the odd gym session once or twice a week and certainly don't eat as well as I used to.

Keep at it though lad, it will be a good 6 months at least, whilst doing it all properly before you start to notice any real change in shape.

Cheers dude! Yeah not over-doing the protein shakes, only ever take them post heavy workout anyways, just to get extra protein in before meals. Have started taking them BCAAs pre-workout but tbh I haven't noticed any difference in them just yet.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #1943: Sep 23, 2016 11:19:30 am
      Dropped around 10kg in the past 2 years, all while maintaining a perfectly healthy mid 20 year old Irish lad's lifestyle of going on the lash 2 or 3 days every weekend!   Changed my diet a good bit tho, for the better! Eating really is key to health as I have found out over the past few years.

Well done.  Keeping the weight off has to be like you say a change in approach rather than a fad diet.  Wish I'd got into a more healthy habit in my mid-twenties because the older you get the more difficult it is to make major adjustments.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1944: Sep 23, 2016 12:11:04 pm
      Well done.  Keeping the weight off has to be like you say a change in approach rather than a fad diet.  Wish I'd got into a more healthy habit in my mid-twenties because the older you get the more difficult it is to make major adjustments.

Still time JD,make the step...
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1945: Sep 23, 2016 12:38:11 pm

Exactly, started bad habits in my teens and twenties, in my forties it's hard to learn new tricks. That's why I rely on exercise more than diet. I've got very little willpower when it comes to food.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #1946: Sep 23, 2016 01:26:18 pm
      Still time JD,make the step...

I'm never going to be super skinny but I'm certainly a lot healthier than I was a couple of years ago.  Don't know how it happened (probably beer) but I was accelerating towards 16 stone after Christmas 2013 I think. 

Was back down to 14 fairly quickly and I've kind of stayed within a couple of pounds of that since but I should probably be about 12 stone.

Although having kids does take away some of your free time to go the gym or whatever I do find that as a family, and mainly for the kids good habits, we eat fair healthier now than when it was just me and the missus.  So 1 out of 2 kind of sorted!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1947: Sep 23, 2016 02:25:14 pm
      I'm never going to be super skinny but I'm certainly a lot healthier than I was a couple of years ago.  Don't know how it happened (probably beer) but I was accelerating towards 16 stone after Christmas 2013 I think. 

Was back down to 14 fairly quickly and I've kind of stayed within a couple of pounds of that since but I should probably be about 12 stone.

Although having kids does take away some of your free time to go the gym or whatever I do find that as a family, and mainly for the kids good habits, we eat fair healthier now than when it was just me and the missus.  So 1 out of 2 kind of sorted!

Similar to me in a way...I was hitting 13 stone at but most of that was fat around the waist & stomach due to my eating habits, scrapped all the fried food, eating sweet potato more often,Cassava,bitter gourd & plenty of spinach...

My cholesterol was a whopping 7 and to look at me you would think where is the fat on you as I'm pretty lean...the deception was I was storing it in my arteries  & was at risk of heart attack...Doctor tried to prescribe Statins but I refused and went about it to loose the fat via diet change and exercise..

Been getting involved with the kids footy programme too,so I get to run around much more,anything that helps tire out the kids works pretty good for me too ;D

Ramadan helps too as it gives the organs a rest and the whole mind body & should a detox & a general good cleanse..

Down to 10 & half stone but much leaner & happy at this weight....
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1948: Oct 10, 2016 09:17:29 pm
      First half marathon in 25 years last week - 1hr 50:04.........you couldn't make it up. Lost about 30 secs at one of the feeding stations as they couldn't get the water bottles out of the plastic casing ffs  :mad:  :f_steam:

Trying to get down under 45 mins for 10km before I have another go at the half.......I reckon I can get down near 1hr 45.......not bad for a fat, middle-aged glaswegian like ;)
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1949: Oct 10, 2016 09:23:54 pm
      First half marathon in 25 years last week - 1hr 50:04.........you couldn't make it up. Lost about 30 secs at one of the feeding stations as they couldn't get the water bottles out of the plastic casing ffs  :mad:  :f_steam:

Trying to get down under 45 mins for 10km before I have another go at the half.......I reckon I can get down near 1hr 45.......not bad for a fat, middle-aged glaswegian like ;)

Well done mate, that's some serious stamina you got there fella, good engine that...

I've only just staring running again after doing my sciatica couple of years ago ontop of that I done my both elbows in having tennis & golfers elbow not tat I play either of them but from building work at my house... ;D

Ran 20 mins tonight on the treadmill at 11km an hour, felt it at the time but chuffed at that as I can work from that, legs feel like lead though..
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #1950: Oct 10, 2016 09:40:03 pm
      Did 10k last night for the first time in a very long while! All steadily uphill on the way back, had it done in 52mins but I think if I was really pushing it I could get that below 45mins.

Got a 10k race this weekend so I'd best start sharpening up!
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1951: Oct 10, 2016 09:56:45 pm
      Well done mate, that's some serious stamina you got there fella, good engine that...

I've only just staring running again after doing my sciatica couple of years ago ontop of that I done my both elbows in having tennis & golfers elbow not tat I play either of them but from building work at my house... ;D

Ran 20 mins tonight on the treadmill at 11km an hour, felt it at the time but chuffed at that as I can work from that, legs feel like lead though..

Cheers Shabs.

Gave up the grog for 4 months end last year / start of this and now only have few pints with Mrs on a Saturday unless it's a proper night out (i only have about 3 of 'em a year!) or a holiday and it's made a huge difference in every aspect for me.

That's a decent pace and great place to start - just keep building a little bit at time and do some interval work to give your engine a chance to turn over quicker without pushing it. Only needs to be 20 seconds every 3 to 4 mins but it'll help (did me anyway).

Good luck :)
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1952: Oct 10, 2016 10:10:09 pm
      Cheers Shabs.

Gave up the grog for 4 months end last year / start of this and now only have few pints with Mrs on a Saturday unless it's a proper night out (i only have about 3 of 'em a year!) or a holiday and it's made a huge difference in every aspect for me.

That's a decent pace and great place to start - just keep building a little bit at time and do some interval work to give your engine a chance to turn over quicker without pushing it. Only needs to be 20 seconds every 3 to 4 mins but it'll help (did me anyway).

Good luck :)

Thanks mate, I've been clean for 16 years till I started the ciggies in 07 when it went Al South with my business partner, been on off since but I've not had one now for almost months & to be honest I was a boredom smoker...

Thanks for the encouragement ....

Running the London marathon is on my bucket list... ;D
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1953: Oct 10, 2016 10:20:24 pm
      Thanks mate, I've been clean for 16 years till I started the ciggies in 07 when it went Al South with my business partner, been on off since but I've not had one now for almost months & to be honest I was a boredom smoker...

Thanks for the encouragement ....

Running the London marathon is on my bucket list... ;D

That's one vice I never picked up.......I used to spend summer hols with my grandparents in 70's and they both were 60 fags a day.......literally non-stop......so never had the urge (thankfully - I'm a bit addictive). Boredom eating and a couple of comfort drinks most days were my kryptonite.

I've always said if I do a marathon - I'll do the Loch Ness one. My late sister was a tour guide up there and I spent some really happy times cadging a seat on the tour bus and a pint at every stop :)

That said, it's meant to be pretty tough. In fact..................it's a bit of a monster  :f_sorry:

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1954: Oct 10, 2016 11:22:33 pm
      That's one vice I never picked up.......I used to spend summer hols with my grandparents in 70's and they both were 60 fags a day.......literally non-stop......so never had the urge (thankfully - I'm a bit addictive). Boredom eating and a couple of comfort drinks most days were my kryptonite.

I've always said if I do a marathon - I'll do the Loch Ness one. My late sister was a tour guide up there and I spent some really happy times cadging a seat on the tour bus and a pint at every stop :)

That said, it's meant to be pretty tough. In fact..................it's a bit of a monster  :f_sorry:

Taxi!.... ;D

I have a very good friend who lives in Stirling, Bridge of Allan... Hoping to spend some time there next summer as this year all holiday plans with family went out the window...

Quick Reply