Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Fitness thread

Read 228112 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Re: Fitness thread
      Reply #2277: Mar 21, 2022 11:32:13 pm
      I'm in the same boat as you! Went for my first run since Christmas.

Was walking like an old man for the following two days though! Does wonders for clearing the fuzz in your mind though!

I wish I could run, been battling a torn meniscus for a few months now and finally have had to stop running completely trying to get it healed. Iā€™m very impatient so this is very though. Not to mention running is one of the ways I keep my weight in check so Iā€™ve put on a few pounds and that doesnā€™t make the lack of exercise any easier 🤦🏻ā€ā™‚ļø
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #2278: Mar 22, 2022 08:01:19 pm
      I wish I could run, been battling a torn meniscus for a few months now and finally have had to stop running completely trying to get it healed. Iā€™m very impatient so this is very though. Not to mention running is one of the ways I keep my weight in check so Iā€™ve put on a few pounds and that doesnā€™t make the lack of exercise any easier 🤦🏻ā€ā™‚ļø

Need to let if fully recover mate, obviously oldies like us it just takes that much longer which is frustrating.

Iā€™m going out for a 10 mile run tomorrow, 5 weeks out from my first 1/2 marathon of the year.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,062 posts | 2109 
      Reply #2279: Mar 22, 2022 08:13:42 pm
      Need to let if fully recover mate, obviously oldies like us it just takes that much longer which is frustrating.

Iā€™m going out for a 10 mile run tomorrow, 5 weeks out from my first 1/2 marathon of the year.

10 miles - mighty effort that! Definitely want to work up to that. What's your heart rate by the way? Must be super low.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #2280: Mar 22, 2022 08:15:34 pm

Nice. Had my personal best half marathon last year (Jan 2021)...couldn't even make it 2 miles right now unfortunately. If you are hitting your 10 mile long run 5 weeks out you should be good to go. Looking forward to hearing about how it went. Hoping to get healthy enough to do another half next January. Fingers crossed.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #2281: Mar 22, 2022 09:07:19 pm
      10 miles - mighty effort that! Definitely want to work up to that. What's your heart rate by the way? Must be super low.

Depends if I have had a session the night before 😂.
      Resting HR down to about 48 otherwise.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #2282: Mar 25, 2022 06:51:35 am
      Can't do it January as I find that month depressing enough!

We're so the same on this. Even everyone has slipped back to school and work when Christmas is all over its like I can breath again. Last thing i want to be doing is avoiding normality and not drinking in the worst month of the year.

Saying that, my dry February lasted about two days
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #2283: Apr 03, 2022 01:32:46 pm
      Went out this morning aiming for 17 miles and got about 14 and started feeling a horrible pain in my knee. Knee troubles are nothing new, comes with the territory really when doing distance runs. Nothing Iā€™ve felt before though it was right in the middle of the kneecap, hopefully nothing serious.

Got a marathon in May so sets me back somewhat. Was really gutted I couldnā€™t finish the full 17 at the time but nothing I can really do about it.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #2284: Apr 03, 2022 05:44:06 pm
      Went out this morning aiming for 17 miles and got about 14 and started feeling a horrible pain in my knee. Knee troubles are nothing new, comes with the territory really when doing distance runs. Nothing Iā€™ve felt before though it was right in the middle of the kneecap, hopefully nothing serious.

Got a marathon in May so sets me back somewhat. Was really gutted I couldnā€™t finish the full 17 at the time but nothing I can really do about it.

Be careful if a torn meniscus. Dealing with one now, itā€™s no bueno.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #2285: Apr 03, 2022 06:06:40 pm
      Be careful if a torn meniscus. Dealing with one now, itā€™s no bueno.
      I had troubles with my lateral meniscus years back, got surgery for it. This is completely different. Will see how it fares on my tempo run on Wednesday but didnā€™t feel serious, although you never know. Iā€™ve just done a lot of running the last week, think the 2 games of fives in amongst the other runs hasnā€™t helped.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2286: Apr 03, 2022 11:37:47 pm

This has just reminded me of when I cracked my knee cap. Surgery followed and then a full leg cast. Fun times.

Obviously youā€™ve not done that, youā€™d know if youā€™d done that. Just take it easy for a couple days, see how it goes and hopefully youā€™ll be good to go again.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #2287: Apr 04, 2022 11:08:51 am
      This has just reminded me of when I cracked my knee cap. Surgery followed and then a full leg cast. Fun times.

Obviously youā€™ve not done that, youā€™d know if youā€™d done that. Just take it easy for a couple days, see how it goes and hopefully youā€™ll be good to go again.
      That doesnā€™t sound fun at all, how did you do that?

Feeling the pain this morning so maybe not as harmless as I had hoped. Been having a look at some diagrams and seen the ACL is middle of the knee, surely canā€™t be that though or imagine Iā€™d be in more pain.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #2288: Apr 04, 2022 03:39:13 pm

Feeling the pain this morning so maybe not as harmless as I had hoped. Been having a look at some diagrams and seen the ACL is middle of the knee, surely canā€™t be that though or imagine Iā€™d be in more pain.

ACL is a funny thing...you never know but I'd think you'd have instability issues as well.

Could be runners knee...you having any popping or clicking?
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #2289: Apr 04, 2022 05:20:18 pm
      ACL is a funny thing...you never know but I'd think you'd have instability issues as well.

Could be runners knee...you having any popping or clicking?
      No mate nothing like that. Just about to play a game of five a side so I guess Iā€™ll know a bit more about it soon.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2290: Apr 04, 2022 07:13:08 pm

Was playing football and it was the result of a collision. If youā€™ve ever hit your elbow really hard and then not been able to bend or straighten it for a few seconds it was like that but stayed that way until after the surgery.

You donā€™t need to worry about the ACL, youā€™d know if it was that. Itā€™s typically caused by overstretching the wrong way when your leg is straight. Done my ACL and for me (and in general I think) the shin was essentially able to move away from your knee because thereā€™s nothing there anymore to hold it all in place. Thatā€™s why you see the physios doing the checks they do when a player goes down with a knee injury - move the joint about in certain ways and they can tell whether there is any resistance there or not. Resistance is good, no resistance is bad. You feel a distinct lack of stability too, like itā€™s going to give way underneath you. They took a graft from my hamstring to reconstruct it.
      Iā€™d say itā€™s likely youā€™d have noticed a distinct popping sound or feeling too if you had an issue with the ACL, can still picture the popping feeling mine made when it went.

« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2022 07:19:48 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #2291: Apr 04, 2022 07:24:38 pm
      Was playing football and it was the result of a collision. If youā€™ve ever hit your elbow really hard and then not been able to bend or straighten it for a few seconds it was like that but stayed that way until after the surgery.

You donā€™t need to worry about the ACL, youā€™d know if it was that. Itā€™s typically caused by overstretching the wrong way when your leg is straight. Done my ACL and for me (and in general I think) the shin was essentially able to move away from your knee because thereā€™s nothing there anymore to hold it all in place. Thatā€™s why you see the physios doing the checks they do when a player goes down with a knee injury - move the joint about in certain ways and they can tell whether there is any resistance there or not. Resistance is good, no resistance is bad. You feel a distinct lack of stability too, like itā€™s going to give way underneath you. They took a graft from my hamstring to reconstruct it.
      Iā€™d say itā€™s likely youā€™d have noticed a distinct popping sound or feeling too if you had an issue with the ACL, can still picture the popping feeling mine made when it went.
      I knew it wasnā€™t anything major, just wondered if there was a minor form of damage to the ACL (can that happen?).

Anyway just back from football and no pain or discomfort whatsoever so signs are good.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #2292: Apr 04, 2022 10:24:15 pm
      I knew it wasnā€™t anything major, just wondered if there was a minor form of damage to the ACL (can that happen?).

Anyway just back from football and no pain or discomfort whatsoever so signs are good.

Good to hear, maybe just take it a bit slower on your next long run to make sure.

Have you looked at your running biometrics - is your cadence and stride length possibly putting extra strain on your knees? - something worth considering.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #2293: Apr 04, 2022 10:58:31 pm
      Good to hear, maybe just take it a bit slower on your next long run to make sure.

Have you looked at your running biometrics - is your cadence and stride length possibly putting extra strain on your knees? - something worth considering.
      My cadence is pretty consistent between 170-172. To be honest not sure what it should be. Iā€™d imagine it can vary for different people so the fact that mine is consistent Iā€™d imagine should be good? Not had any recent knee trouble until Sunday there and been putting a lot of miles in.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #2294: Apr 04, 2022 11:03:37 pm
      My cadence is pretty consistent between 170-172. To be honest not sure what it should be. Iā€™d imagine it can vary for different people so the fact that mine is consistent Iā€™d imagine should be good? Not had any recent knee trouble until Sunday there and been putting a lot of miles in.

Depends on your height but 180 is considered ideal, 170-172 is good if you are taller (6ā€™ or more)
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #2295: Apr 04, 2022 11:14:25 pm
      Depends on your height but 180 is considered ideal, 170-172 is good if you are taller (6ā€™ or more)
      Ah maybe my strides are too long then? Think Iā€™m 5ā€™11, maybe a smidge under.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,081 posts | 630 
      Reply #2296: Apr 04, 2022 11:25:53 pm

Speaking from experience, better to sacrifice some training and let it heal properly than to try and force anything.  ;)

Agree with some of the posters above, damaging your ACL while running is possible, but unlikely. And you'd know if that was it. So that's the good news. :)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #2297: Apr 05, 2022 12:21:40 am
      Ah maybe my strides are too long then? Think Iā€™m 5ā€™11, maybe a smidge under.

You are probably ok, I'm 5'11", my cadence is typically around 168-170.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #2298: Apr 06, 2022 09:31:32 pm
      Ran a 10k today and started feeling it again about 3k in. Wasnā€™t as bad though and managed to finish this time.

Looking online at the symptoms of the pain and ā€œrunners kneeā€ comes up - makes sense I suppose. Need to look a bit more in to it to see what I can do about it. Resting it does not appeal to me right now given Iā€™ve got a marathon to train for and to be honest Iā€™m just really enjoying the long distances. Might need to look in to seeing a physio.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #2299: Apr 06, 2022 10:07:56 pm
      Ran a 10k today and started feeling it again about 3k in. Wasnā€™t as bad though and managed to finish this time.

Looking online at the symptoms of the pain and ā€œrunners kneeā€ comes up - makes sense I suppose. Need to look a bit more in to it to see what I can do about it. Resting it does not appeal to me right now given Iā€™ve got a marathon to train for and to be honest Iā€™m just really enjoying the long distances. Might need to look in to seeing a physio.

Might be worth trying a patella knee strap. I had a bout a few years ago where I suspected runners knee, the strap really helped running albeit at a slower pace.

But of course it might well have cleared up without the strap such are these sort of chronic ailments.

Quick Reply