Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Fitness thread

Read 225574 times
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Re: Fitness thread
      Reply #2300: Apr 06, 2022 10:11:42 pm
      Might be worth trying a patella knee strap. I had a bout a few years ago where I suspected runners knee, the strap really helped running albeit at a slower pace.

But of course it might well have cleared up without the strap such are these sort of chronic ailments.
      Yeah mate good shout I’ll maybe give that a go. Seen people wearing these before and always wondered what they were.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #2301: Apr 08, 2022 07:44:07 pm
      375 KG ..8 rep Leg Press….

That’s a PB….
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #2302: Apr 09, 2022 09:09:28 pm
      An early one tomorrow to get that 17 miles done - knee permitting - before heading off to the local reds bar to watch the game. Looking forward to being steaming after 2 pints.

New pair of Brooks bought today in preparation, my last pair have seen too many miles, along with a patella knee strap (cheers HSc) and hopefully that’s enough to keep any knee issues at bay.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #2303: Apr 10, 2022 10:25:19 am
      Well managed the 17 miles after all, felt my knee a few times but think the changes helped. Pleased enough with the time of 2:12 which keeps me on track for sub 3:30 marathon.

Now to try cram in 1500-2000 calories and 3 litres of water before heading off to the pub for the game.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #2304: Apr 10, 2022 11:35:58 am
      Well managed the 17 miles after all, felt my knee a few times but think the changes helped. Pleased enough with the time of 2:12 which keeps me on track for sub 3:30 marathon.

Now to try cram in 1500-2000 calories and 3 litres of water before heading off to the pub for the game.

Well in kid. Tremendous work
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #2305: Apr 11, 2022 01:27:02 pm
      Started running the last month or two.

Late jan I weighed 94kg I now weigh 84kg and a good diet and running has been a massive part of it.

Granted, I can't run too far just yet, max at the minute is around 2.4/5 miles without stopping. But I am improving each week and learning to save myself for the longer runs.

Any runners on here?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2306: Apr 11, 2022 02:40:18 pm

Late jan I weighed 94kg I now weigh 84kg and a good diet and running has been a massive part of it.

Granted, I can't run too far just yet, max at the minute is around 2.4/5 miles without stopping. But I am improving each week and learning to save myself for the longer runs.

Any runners on here?

Yessir. Although I'm laid up with an injury right now, but hoping to be able to start back in a couple of weeks. Good shoes, stretching, core and leg strengthening should all help you to stay as injury free as possible.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #2307: Apr 11, 2022 05:23:18 pm
      Yessir. Although I'm laid up with an injury right now, but hoping to be able to start back in a couple of weeks. Good shoes, stretching, core and leg strengthening should all help you to stay as injury free as possible.

I have some running trainers from Addidas a while back, not sure how good they are.

Yeah I need to work on core strenghtening and leg work outs tbh, I have a kettlebell so might do some weighted squats and been doing planks daily to help with the core as well as skipping and pushups.

I can't wait to be able to run 5k without stopping.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #2308: Apr 11, 2022 06:00:30 pm

Any runners on here?

Excellent effort , used to do a lot of running up until I did my patella tendon in , was up around 65/75 miles a week at that time ended up having an op on it 14,weeks off work being in self employed made it pretty hard going , could possibly gone back to work sooner but I had to make sure it was right , couldn’t afford to re injure it .
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #2309: Apr 11, 2022 06:04:47 pm

Any runners on here?

Yup started to do a lot more running now that my football career is coming to an end 😁.

Planning to do a couple of 1/2 marathons this year. Not sure I fancy doing a marathon yet but maybe in the future.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2310: Apr 11, 2022 06:16:09 pm
      I am a lazy old git now but when I did start running after a lay off or just getting fat I would start with run/walk alternating and it was surprising how quickly you would end up running 5 mile plus without a second thought just take time and increase gradually
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #2311: Apr 11, 2022 06:58:35 pm

Any runners on here?

Yup, am a runner myself, did a few marathons.

Best advices I can give you are:
      1. Diversify your training (short runs, long runs, interval running, etc.). It makes running less 'boring', and you'll improve different physical aspects.
      It's also pretty good if your goal is to lose weight (here's an interesting article that explains it, if you're interested:
      https://www.mountelizabeth.com.sg/healthplus/article/fat-burning-zone-heart-rate-to-lose-fat)

2. Set yourself goals to achieve, challenge yourself, but be realistic as well.

3. Find a running buddy. You'll encourage each other, particularly on the days you might lack motivation.

4. It's completely fine if you need to walk from time to time. Rome wasn't built in one day. ;)

5. ENJOY YOURSELF!  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #2312: Apr 11, 2022 08:53:43 pm
      I have some running trainers from Addidas a while back, not sure how good they are.

Yeah I need to work on core strenghtening and leg work outs tbh, I have a kettlebell so might do some weighted squats and been doing planks daily to help with the core as well as skipping and pushups.

I can't wait to be able to run 5k without stopping.
      Definitely get a good pair of running trainers if you’re going to stick at it. They’re not cheap but well worth the investment. I like Brooks personally.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #2313: Apr 11, 2022 08:55:16 pm
      Cheers for the advice all.

I have been trying to run 5 times a week, with two rest days a week, is that reasonable do you think?
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #2314: Apr 11, 2022 09:11:27 pm

I have been trying to run 5 times a week, with two rest days a week, is that reasonable do you think?
      Maybe a little bit excessive mate. I’m training for a marathon and run 3 days a week - one long distance, one shorter quicker run and one interval session (sprints). Maybe supplement it with some weight training.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #2315: Apr 11, 2022 09:29:02 pm

Any runners on here?

I've got running plans that were tailored for me, by a running coach, when I was starting out and then more as I upped my distances. More than happy to forward them.

And yeah, get good runners. Best two I've had are Brooks Ghost and Asics Gel Nimbus
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2316: Apr 12, 2022 03:36:08 am

Depends on how fit you are. My son runs cross country and distance events for track and field at college….he runs 7 days a week, his weekly mileage is between 60-75 miles per week. When I was in my best shape I ran 6 days a week around 35-40 miles per.

Your trainers depend on your foot (arch height) and biomechanics (pronation). I haven high arches and no pronation issues so I wear neutral trainers (Saucony Ride, New Balance 1080, New Balance Rebel). If you have low arches or need extra support you might want to try something that’s got some support like the Brooks Adrenaline.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #2317: Apr 12, 2022 01:20:51 pm
      Depends on how fit you are. My son runs cross country and distance events for track and field at college….he runs 7 days a week, his weekly mileage is between 60-75 miles per week. When I was in my best shape I ran 6 days a week around 35-40 miles per.

Your trainers depend on your foot (arch height) and biomechanics (pronation). I haven high arches and no pronation issues so I wear neutral trainers (Saucony Ride, New Balance 1080, New Balance Rebel). If you have low arches or need extra support you might want to try something that’s got some support like the Brooks Adrenaline.
      Yeah I had slight supination and went with the Brooks Adrenaline.

Have a look online and see if there are places near you who can assess this and recommend a pair to you. Hard for the average person to determine their own running style but these places have treadmills with slo mo cameras and can show you.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #2318: Apr 12, 2022 01:54:31 pm
      Used to be a Nike person then discovered ASICS and those are now my go to for running.

Have a look at the Excite and Cumulus range.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2319: Apr 12, 2022 02:20:23 pm
      Used to be a Nike person then discovered ASICS and those are now my go to for running.

Have a look at the Excite and Cumulus range.

I started running in the Cumulus, that was about 20 years ago!

I tend to not stick with one model over and over, unlike my youngest son will only wear the Saucony Endorphin Speed...I tend to switch around a bit. I have found Nike to be not be the best maker of everyday trainers but their race shoes (Vaporfly and Alphafly) are legit.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #2320: Apr 12, 2022 07:00:08 pm
      I have found Nike to be not be the best maker of everyday trainers but their race shoes (Vaporfly and Alphafly) are legit.

Best running shoe I've ever had was the Nike Flyknit Lunar 1. Super light but amazing cushioning as well. Perfect for long distance running. Too bad they don't make those anymore.

The Vomero is also a very good choice for runners leaning on the heavy side...  ;)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #2321: Apr 13, 2022 01:36:55 am
      The Vomero is also a very good choice for runners leaning on the heavy side...  ;)

Always stuck with New Balance for shoes from when I started the C25K.  Last for absolutely ages as well.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2322: Apr 13, 2022 02:40:06 am
      Always stuck with New Balance for shoes from when I started the C25K.  Last for absolutely ages as well.

Incidentally, you don’t really want to wear running shoes past 500 miles, in fact I tend to replace them around 300-400. Once the foam breaks down in the midsole you are starting to ask for injury.

Quick Reply