Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Fitness thread

Read 225696 times
      MsGerrard
      Re: Fitness thread
      Reply #69: Feb 17, 2008 12:39:34 am
      Just a little 13 miles run.....will that be before or after breakfast Andy  ;)

You fit bugger you !!! :D  Showing us all up, make sure you don't fall off the pier ;D

Seriously Andy, enjoy your race and good luck with it, and I hope you manage to post a report that gets accepted this time :)

I assume this is all part of your training for the Cork marathon that you are running to raise funds for ZOE'S PLACE.

Well done, and let us know how you get on.

:f_run: :f_run:
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #70: Feb 17, 2008 09:29:19 pm
      I think I'm going to add 30 minutes of cardiovascular exercise to my 3 day routine.
      Giving up cardio exercise for muscle building exercise has seen me get stronger, a bit more excess fat, unfitter and not as happy.

Seriously cardio exercise is pratically exercising all the fat off your body, helping you get much fitter and for some reasons you just feel so fit and happy!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #71: Feb 17, 2008 09:52:38 pm
      I think I'm going to add 30 minutes of cardiovascular exercise to my 3 day routine.
      Giving up cardio exercise for muscle building exercise has seen me get stronger, a bit more excess fat, unfitter and not as happy.

Seriously cardio exercise is pratically exercising all the fat off your body, helping you get much fitter and for some reasons you just feel so fit and happy!

Nice one RaRa  ;D

Keep it up...
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #72: Feb 17, 2008 11:50:48 pm
      Sunday 17th February 2008

I went to bed at 12:30am last night and had a bit of a restless night, with the feeling of anticipation you get before a new job interview! This is 2008 and my 1st Half Marathon of the year. I wanted to clock a decent time so fleeting negative thoughts came but went as I realised there was no time or place in my mind to dwell on them. Think positive, act positive. I slept on that thought.

I awoke at 6:30am, leaving the comfort of my pit by 7am. I made 2 rounds of toast for brekkie but forgot to eat them as I was too busy collecting my stuff together for my day out, I had enough luggage for a short holiday! I stepped outside and it was as frrrrrosty as last Sunday! I loaded the car and was Brighton bound for 7:45am. The trip to the coast was bathed in glorius sunshine and my mood was 'Well happy to be alive and looking forward to the challenge ahead!'  Paul Oakenfold's Voyage Into Trance from 1994 lifted the feel good factor bar a few notches higher too!
      Enjoyed that trip!  ;)

Parking in Brighton can be a nightmare at the best of times, too many controlled zones and reidents parking bays. London looks positively tame by comparison. I found a spot in a side street not far from Brighton Marina where there was a 4 hour restriction but my space had no limit so I could relax on this count. At 9am a que was forming outside McDonalds in the Marina, the only public toilets in the vicinity that were open. 9:15am and I was back at the car to get changed. 9:35 and a short walk / jog to the start just under a mile away. Upon arrival the masses were in good spirits, approx. 5,000 runners many rasing money for all sorts of charities, some of them were also in fancy dress.
      At 9:45am the air horn, gun or whatever it was went off but those not near the front wouldn't have heard it. Those around me didn't cross the start line for a full 7 - 8 minutes after the race had started, such was the enormity of the crowd at the start! As I crossed the start line I hit START on my GPS watch and the heat was on, my goal a sub 2hr Half Marathon.

As in the description of the race route in my previous post we saw many of Brighton's best bits and running through the back streets was a particular highlight to me as I saw many pubs, restaurants and shops I have been to in previous visits to Brighton. A colorful band banging drums and blowing whistles gave the runners a great sense of rythym here and was applauded by many. My target of a 5 mile 40 minute barrier was the first objective of this race. Running through the narrow back streets and along the first part of the prom caused a bit of congestion and with frequent checks on the watch my first 2 -3 miles were reasonable...

A 5k time of 24:47 but this was about distance not speed! Still nice to have a play though!

I would have to push harder for the last 2 miles of the 5. I missed the target by 8 seconds but it was decent attempt given that I still had a further 8 miles to go! As with most big races water stations are plentiful, I ran through 2 as I was 'in my zone' and carrying 750ml of Luccozade Sport if I felt the need to take on liquid and I took 2 blasts just after 5 miles. Water can be too cold, shock your core temperature and is hard to drink from a cup while running!  :food-smiley-005:

My next target was a sub 50 minute 10K time... Bingo! 49:30!  :f_run:

Then 7 miles in under an hour... Howzat! 58:22! Loving it! :f_run:

8x 8 minute miles = 64 minutes... no such joy - 67.2. Still 5 miles to go so no good beating myself up!
      My average mile time is now up from 8 to 9 minutes.

10 miles in a shade under 86 minutes, 4 minutes / half a mile slower than my Personal Best.

The 11 mile had a stinky big hill rising from the promenade to the cliff tops appeared and a few gasps of disbelief were heard, I for one said "F**k me!" as I could see the rise and runners snaking off into the distance! That part was particularly tough but I made of tougher stuff than to give up because of some *Gasp* POXY *Pant* f***in' * Gasp * HILL!  :P The reward was a nice downhill section back down to the Marina!

Drink!  :drink:

My GPS was keeping me informed of the upcoming mile markers which , it has to be said, were not accurate,  ??? I was being tracked by 3 or 4 satellites at a time. All the mile markers were after the mile alerts had sounded on my GPS - possibly due to the lack of places to tie them, ie lampposts etc. Still not good for a runner trying to improve their times accurately. Back on the flat and a bit of a Post Office counter approach was next. Imagine me running forward- ( ^ ), the people to my left running towards me but in a separate lane- ( v ) and then in a lane next to them the people on the home straight running the same way as me...( ^ ) =  ^ v ^ That lasted for 2 miles in total and you had to switch off and be grateful you were getting closer to the finish! As I heard the 13 mile alarm on my GPS I looked at the Finish, still some distance away. I hit the lap button at 13.1 miles - the official Half Marathon distance and crossed the line at 13.28 miles

I crossed the 13.1 distance in a time of 1:56:30 and had successfully done a sub 2 hour Half Marathon!  :) :champ: :gt-happyup: (Photos and video to follow soon).

This is the best bit, I didn't even train for it! Apart from last week's 9 mile Cross Country run last Sunday and the Toughest 10K on Jan 1st I have not done any running this year! I'm especially pleased with my time for that reason alone. No running next week as I'm in Brighton again, this time for a mate's birthday and a few hooj scoops of ale! Party time and I can't wait!  :ernaehrung004: :food-smiley-005: :food-smiley-005: :food-smiley-005:
      « Last Edit: Feb 18, 2008 12:32:10 am by RED1028 »
      MsGerrard
      Reply #73: Feb 18, 2008 12:01:10 am
      Well Andy, you must be immensely proud of yourself, and you certainly deserve to party next weekend  ;D

A very big well done from me   :aaliverpool2xt1:
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #74: Feb 18, 2008 12:11:42 am
      Nice one mate, I don't think I'll ever run a marathon. :D
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #75: Feb 18, 2008 11:36:02 pm

That's why the reason I enjoy running!  :)
      1   8:08   1.00   121
      2   8:21   1.00   124
      3   7:57   1.00   124
      4   8:15   1.00   122
      5   7:51   1.00   124
      6   8:56   1.00   121
      7   8:51   1.00   121
      8   8:58   1.00   121
      9   9:18   1.00   122
      10   9:11   1.00   121
      11   9:53   1.00   122
      12   9:40   1.00   123
      13   9:59   1.00   123
      14   1:05   0.11   13

Add up the numbers in the right hand column and I burned off 1602 calories in that run! :mixed-smiley-009: I am 6'2" and weigh approx, 75kg and carry virtually no excess weight. My metabolism is good  / fast as I eat reasonably well and also slowly - chewing my food a lot which gives my stomach less work to do. I don't smoke and rarely drink beer but when I do... ;)
      :ernaehrung004: :food-smiley-005: :food-smiley-005: :food-smiley-005:

What is worth noting is that runners come in all shapes, sizes and ages too. I've been amazed to see people in their 60's, 70's even 80's running in some races. Admittedly if you know you are not fit or overweight running for long distances should be carefully considered as it is very demanding both physically and mentally. You don't want to wind up dead like a few people did in the Great North Run in 2005.

The four men who died in the Great North Run were aged between 28 and 52, a coroner's office has confirmed. The youngest victim was 28, Rueben Wilson of Leeds - Kieran Patching of Kent was 34 and David Mahaffey of York was 43. The fourth victim was deputy headmaster Phil Lewis, 52, who taught at Moorside Community College Consett, Co Durham.
      A statement from Bupa Great North Run said the deaths were "deeply unfortunate" and that there were 16 ambulances on stand-by at the event. More than 50,000 runners took part in the 25th half-marathon event in warm temperatures on Sunday. Bupa said there were medical facilities at every half-mile along the route as well as ambulances, two paramedic bikes and two field hospitals at the finish line. There were also five water stations on the course and three specially constructed mobile shower units, Bupa said.

The statement added: "As with any large scale participation event the entry form states that all participants are strongly advised to consult their doctor prior to undertaking any exercise programme.

"Participants received comprehensive pre-race information about training, consulting a doctor, medical points on the course and further day of the race advice." Many of the runners reported feeling extremely hot as temperatures rose during the race.* Runner Paul Bouch, 25, said: "After about 10 miles the ambulances were everywhere and some of the people looked in a bad way. "But it was difficult to get the ambulances to the roadside because it's just so packed with people."
      A further runner also died in 2006 despite extra medical cover.
      * I ran in the British 10K London Run in 2005 and the temperature was 30 degrees C, it was too hot for running, never again!  8) I drank far too much water at the start, not a bad thing as I wouldn't dehydrate but not so good as I had to do a Paula and find a toilet on the Embankment before Westminster Bridge!

It amazes me to see people finishing races 2 or 3 HOURS behind the race winner! What they go through as individuals is anyone's guess! I 'generally' scrape into the first 66% of runners home and yes, I wish I could be a lot fatter faster! ;)
      I admire anyone who has the balls 'to have a go' and I've met some amazing people.
      "I've never done a Half before! I did it as a drunken bet!"
      "What? In your Plimsolls?!"
      "Yeah! In 2hrs 5mins! I was at a party 'til 3 this morning!"  :o :o :o

There was even a blind runner yesterday... I touch her back as I ran past her and said "Well done Love!"
      "Thank you!" she replied. So many nice things to see and she couldn't, God bless her.

The main thing is if running is for you, you've try it and like it - enjoy yourself! There will be injuries and bad days but they make way for the good days and the enjoyment you get from a PB or even completing a race in a brand new place. Going places, meeting faces, I love running!  :) ;)  :f_run: :f_run: :f_run:
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #76: Feb 19, 2008 11:30:35 am
      It's good to see that you enjoy your running. I do enjoy running but only when it comes to a sport such as football. I would love to enjoy running but just can't bring myself to do it anymore. I always use to do 5km in 25 minutes but then I've ditched that plan and started doing weight training which isn't at all a mistake but a mistake on ditching my 5km runs.

I'm thinking of doing a 10 - 15 minute run on the tredmill 3 times a week, its better than 0 times a week though but I don't know how much a 10 minutes run will actually change you as its only burning around 150 Cals
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #77: Feb 19, 2008 02:38:02 pm
      Andy, I get tired just reading your reports, but I'm still fit, slim, eat healthy, and have a good clean mind, well one out of four is not bad.

We need you to do well in the Cork marathon.

RED 1028 ( Andy )
      This is a top man, he is running in the Cork City Marathon on the 2nd of June. And it's all in the aid of our forum charity, Zoe's Place Baby Hospice.
      Andy and his family will be coming to the charity night, so he can let you know how much he has raised, and I for one will get him a pint.
      Very well done Andy, make a donation on-line through his link:

http://www.justgiving.com/red1028-Andy.

See you soon mate.  :gt-happyup:
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #78: Feb 25, 2008 11:58:20 am
      Guys just to contribute to some discusssion to the thread. I have been doing weight training for the past 6 months and have gained 8kg, I dont know how much of it was muscle mass as i have not done the proper testing. I have actually added and inch and a half to my biceps and am seeing the benefits of it. I used to play football up to as much five times a week 3 times outdoor and twice indoor. Now i play muck around indoor comp, so that is my cardio for the week.

I have been weight training for the last 6 months with 3-4 times per week.

I would do arms (biceps and triceps) twice a week, chest once, shoulders once dont really emphasise on the back so much. Having cut down on te cardio I have seen slight fat increase but i have also seen a huge increase in muscular appearence. I am 194 cm tall and weight 98 kg now was 91 kg before i started weight training.

I would also like to contribute and agree with Ra Ra that it can take up to 24 hours for certain muscle groups to recover, this is highly dependent on your diet and the foods you eat.

Well that was my 2 cents.

P.S. The best thing about my new slighlty muscular appearence is definetly extra confidence and best of all some much wanted attention from the ladies.
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #79: Feb 25, 2008 12:05:47 pm
      ^Do you use protein shakes?
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #80: Feb 25, 2008 12:38:02 pm
      Yes mate, have been taking about 3 a day about 40 g of protein with 500ml of milk per shake. On weekdays i have a pretty boring and strict tuna and chicken diet thrown in with some carbs. I am on a second cycle of creatine also whic works pretty well, if you take it in pill form poweder is just as effective but it got me bloated and had an awful taste.

So yeah my weekday diet is healthy but i know that little bit of excess fat is purely the intake of alcohol on the weekend; beer and smirnoffs have a high calorie count. If i gave these up I would pretty much give away my social life too.
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #81: Feb 25, 2008 12:47:20 pm
      Wow thats a strict diet.....

I just got back from the shop with my big ass bucket of protein stuff cuz Im trying to get some upper body. Everybody was looking at me like "WTF?" (because Im skinny). :D
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #82: Feb 25, 2008 12:57:43 pm
      Yeah Im sure they advised you the high carb/hight protein one as you need the fat to turn into muscle. At least you have free reign to eat like an animal, its not all about the protein only you need high protein foods i.e. chicken breast, tuna and turkey some simple ones. And if you want to bulk it should be 2g protein per kg of weight so if you way 70 kg you should have about 140-150 gm of protein per day.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #83: Feb 25, 2008 06:04:52 pm
      I'm sure its not 2g of protein to each KG you weight
      Because say your body is limited to 60g of protein a day (which is the average) and if you take 100g of protien a day then that 40g of protein will not be needed and will only be stored as fat!

Protein powder is good because it contains a lot of protien like 48g per scoop, low on carbs and also contains glutemin which is a natural ingredient which helps repair and rebuild your muscles quicker and better!

I haven't taken protein powder for over 3 odd weeks now, I have seen muscle growth but I'm sure results would have been be better had I bought some more protein powder :(

I don't take creatine, have never tried it and don't intend to. Apparently creatine works like a drug but is not a drug so it can still give you after effects...
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #84: Feb 26, 2008 12:58:15 am
      Ra Ra i would have to disagree with you on boths statements there. A "normal" diet should be compromised of 0-8g/kg a day. However if your intention was to bulk up and increase muscle mass you would need to double the protein intake providing you are going to train that day. It is not worthwile having 3 protein shaked a day and taking 2g/kg if you are not training your muscles to use up this protein. The intensity of your training also plays a big part hence why the most effective time for protein consumption is immediately after training as that is the time your muscles are intensively trying to recover.

As for cretine it is a total myth that it works like steroids or drugs if you look it up they work on different levels and all studies conducted so far on creatine have not proven any side effects.
      LazyFingers
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 892 posts | 22 
      Reply #85: Feb 26, 2008 01:23:46 am
      Without properly reading the last few posts I'm just gonna say for weight/muscle gain it's 1g of protein for every pound in your body and twice that in carbs. So say for me it's 180g of protein and 360g of carbs.

Anyway, I'm here to say I've decided to run the Great Ireland 10KM run on the sixth of April. Training starts tomorrow!
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #86: Feb 26, 2008 01:35:49 am
      Infact its 45 minutes after you've worked out.. thats the best time to have protein intake!
      Just remember fat is used as fuel for muscle, but leave muscle unused and then muscle is turned back into guess what? Fat!

Never bulk up and give up, otherwise you'll be FAT!
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #87: Feb 26, 2008 11:59:36 am
      Ra Ra i would have to disagree with you on boths statements there. A "normal" diet should be compromised of 0-8g/kg a day. However if your intention was to bulk up and increase muscle mass you would need to double the protein intake providing you are going to train that day. It is not worthwile having 3 protein shaked a day and taking 2g/kg if you are not training your muscles to use up this protein. The intensity of your training also plays a big part hence why the most effective time for protein consumption is immediately after training as that is the time your muscles are intensively trying to recover.

As for cretine it is a total myth that it works like steroids or drugs if you look it up they work on different levels and all studies conducted so far on creatine have not proven any side effects.

Agreed on both counts mate.

When training I have around 150g of protein a day, I do use the shakes but only really as a top up if what I've eaten hasn't provided enough protein. I eat a lot of natural yoghurt which is high in whey protein but very low in fat and I also eat a lot of tuna & chicken. I've also used creatine on quite a few occassions & never had any side effects. I do actually prefer the powder form though, you get a lot more creatine for your money with it too. One that I'd never buy is the flavoured powders, the quantity of creatine in them is poxy & they cost a bomb.

Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #88: Feb 26, 2008 12:12:01 pm
      I seriously need some more protein powder though.. but the one I use is rather expensive!

http://www.lamuscle.com/docs/products/product/lawhey903g
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #89: Feb 26, 2008 12:30:34 pm
      Yea I agree Eddie there is not use in bombarding yourself with protein shakes only you need to have a balanced diet high in protein. I get my 200g from 3 protein shakes accounts for about 110-120 and the other 90 odd grams from food. E.g. 3 cans of tuna around 60 g plus a few egg whites 20-30 g etc. I have also heard it is good to have protein shake before bed when the body and muscles are resting.

And also as for the creatine I had the monohydrate powder one I did notice gains,but it was very time consuming to take and tastes like sh*t. So this time I around i went for the capsules they cost twice as much though. Ra Ra there are vast number of protein brands and types, just make sure that you get the whey protein isolate, that is digested quickly and more effective then the others. You can catch a bargain on on-line supplement stores, but Id prefer to buy mine of the shelves you never know when buying on-line where and what is in it.
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #90: Feb 26, 2008 12:36:35 pm
      How do you determine the amount of protein something has in it?
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #91: Feb 26, 2008 12:50:29 pm
      Don't know about in SA mate, but over here pretty much all food comes with nutritional info on the packaging.

I'm sure there will be a chart you can find somewhere online that will tell you what you need to know.

Quick Reply