Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Fitness thread

Read 225603 times
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Re: Fitness thread
      Reply #2024: Jun 30, 2018 12:10:27 pm
      I'm a fat f**ker, make no mistake, but since last August I've dropped 94lbs, since joining Slimming World in November, I've lost 10% of my joining weight. I'm walk-jogging a minimum of 5 miles a day and it's finally becoming more jogging than walking. I'm exercising with weights six days a week.

I'm waiting for medical clearance for my cycling though. Had 3 blackouts last year, two with memory loss and one where I cycled into a parked lorry. Dented it with my head, no memory of it, just a ten minute blank, either side of it. Taking my exercise mat on holiday, got some bodyweight resistance and aerobic sessions downloaded from youtube.

The thing I'm enjoying most is yoga, struggle with some of the transitions, but are already noticing a difference as its helped no end with my back issues.
      « Last Edit: Jun 30, 2018 12:16:19 pm by Roddenberry »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #2025: Jun 30, 2018 01:47:59 pm
      I'm a fat f**ker, make no mistake, but since last August I've dropped 94lbs, since joining Slimming World in November, I've lost 10% of my joining weight. I'm walk-jogging a minimum of 5 miles a day and it's finally becoming more jogging than walking. I'm exercising with weights six days a week.

I'm waiting for medical clearance for my cycling though. Had 3 blackouts last year, two with memory loss and one where I cycled into a parked lorry. Dented it with my head, no memory of it, just a ten minute blank, either side of it. Taking my exercise mat on holiday, got some bodyweight resistance and aerobic sessions downloaded from youtube.

The thing I'm enjoying most is yoga, struggle with some of the transitions, but are already noticing a difference as its helped no end with my back issues.

Great effort Rodders - will make a helluva difference in the longer term āœŠ
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #2026: Jun 30, 2018 02:17:46 pm
      I've done F**k all of any workouts in the past 4 months... Been to busy with house work which I guess has been my workout..

That's some serious effort mate, well done..

Cheers mate. Was out this morning a lot fresher and without an injured foot; managed 10.2km with a pace of 4ā€™53. Goddam hot though.

You ex military by any chance?..

Love to do those times & distances..
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #2027: Jun 30, 2018 03:21:32 pm
      You ex military by any chance?..

Love to do those times & distances..
      Haha not a chance Shabs. It was 4ā€™53 per Km rather than per mile.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #2028: Jun 30, 2018 04:01:37 pm
      Haha not a chance Shabs. It was 4ā€™53 per Km rather than per mile.

Ahh... Still good though mate.. I've been puffingike a chimney lately & I can't stop drinking the non Alcho Bavaria larger!.. ;D
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #2029: Jul 01, 2018 09:26:13 am
      Rest day yesterday and back on the interval cardio in an hour.....7km in 30 mins or near as damn it. Then onto weights for an hour......

Loving the new gym.....
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #2030: Jul 01, 2018 11:04:12 am
      Just missed it......6.8km with 4:28 avg......gym 27deg already
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #2031: Jul 03, 2018 07:59:19 pm
      Another split session today. 5km interval run this morning in 22 mins and hours weights tonight.

#wiped

7 more days till Tenefife ā¤ļø
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #2032: Jul 04, 2018 12:23:43 am
      After two and a half days, exercising when under the weather, tonight all I could face was a hot toddy, paracetamol and a long, hot bath. Tomorrow was a rest day, but I'll do what I planned to do tonight, tomorrow, albeit in a different country.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2033: Jul 04, 2018 01:43:37 am
      Going to do a 5k tomorrow with the family. Hoping to finish 2nd in my family, but that might be pushing it. :D

I'd love to break 24 but not expecting it. Still need to lose a few lbs to get some of my "speed" back.

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #2034: Jul 05, 2018 08:12:42 am
      Going to do a 5k tomorrow with the family. Hoping to finish 2nd in my family, but that might be pushing it. :D

I'd love to break 24 but not expecting it. Still need to lose a few lbs to get some of my "speed" back.

Good luck - letā€™s know how it goes.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2035: Jul 05, 2018 11:07:57 am
      Good luck - letā€™s know how it goes.
      We had fun, my youngest set a new personal best at 25:54 (course was actually a little long so he was closer to 25:38 for 5k). I ended up running with him to motivate/coach him so he crossed a second ahead of me (thatā€™s my story :)).

My oldest didnā€™t have as good a race as he wanted, finished 11 of 850 entrants ran a 17:56.

Was a lot of fun though and most of the kids from the XC team I help coach did really well. We leave for camp on Saturday. We are headed to the hills of North Carolina for a week. Weather should perfect and the hills will help our legs, it can get boring running on the flat ground all the time here in SW Florida.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #2036: Jul 05, 2018 11:35:50 am
      We had fun, my youngest set a new personal best at 25:54 (course was actually a little long so he was closer to 25:38 for 5k). I ended up running with him to motivate/coach him so he crossed a second ahead of me (thatā€™s my story :)).

My oldest didnā€™t have as good a race as he wanted, finished 11 of 850 entrants ran a 17:56.

Was a lot of fun though and most of the kids from the XC team I help coach did really well. We leave for camp on Saturday. We are headed to the hills of North Carolina for a week. Weather should perfect and the hills will help our legs, it can get boring running on the flat ground all the time here in SW Florida.

Good stuff all round - would love to have been gifted with the sort of pace your eldest has..........I can crack a 20-21min out at a push now but even in my teens / 20s thatā€™d have been too rich for my blood.

Would love to see my 17yr old give running a serious go. He knocked out a 12km in 52 mins a while back without any training and after a night out 🙄

Little sh#t.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2037: Jul 05, 2018 02:21:51 pm
      Good stuff all round - would love to have been gifted with the sort of pace your eldest has..........I can crack a 20-21min out at a push now but even in my teens / 20s thatā€™d have been too rich for my blood.

Would love to see my 17yr old give running a serious go. He knocked out a 12km in 52 mins a while back without any training and after a night out 🙄

Little sh#t.

I would love to be faster, but unfortunately I'm built more for endurance than for speed ;D If I can get back to where I can run a 5k in the 22's I'll be pretty happy (I broke 23 a couple years back before my meniscus injury). My oldest is built to run, kind of excited to see where it will take him. He's only 15 and is looking to break into the 16's early this XC season, his ultimate goal this year is to crack 16 and knock out something in the 15's. He would love to make running a career...not sure if that will ever pan out, but so far he's hit every goal he's ever made for himself so it wouldn't surprise me at this point. I'm just happy he's found something he loves to do. God help him...how anyone can ever love punishing themselves I'll never know :D

By the way, if you are looking for a good book about running, pick up "Running with the Buffalo's" It's a book about the University of Colorado cross country team. Really insightful and a cool look at how a major college program approaches training and competition.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #2038: Jul 05, 2018 03:12:58 pm
      I would love to be faster, but unfortunately I'm built more for endurance than for speed ;D If I can get back to where I can run a 5k in the 22's I'll be pretty happy (I broke 23 a couple years back before my meniscus injury). My oldest is built to run, kind of excited to see where it will take him. He's only 15 and is looking to break into the 16's early this XC season, his ultimate goal this year is to crack 16 and knock out something in the 15's. He would love to make running a career...not sure if that will ever pan out, but so far he's hit every goal he's ever made for himself so it wouldn't surprise me at this point. I'm just happy he's found something he loves to do. God help him...how anyone can ever love punishing themselves I'll never know :D

By the way, if you are looking for a good book about running, pick up "Running with the Buffalo's" It's a book about the University of Colorado cross country team. Really insightful and a cool look at how a major college program approaches training and competition.

Will have a look for that.....even a download as Iā€™ll have plenty time to read in Tenerife from next week into August.

Good luck to you and the boy......I think itā€™s good to have goals as long as they donā€™t convert into pressure....
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2039: Jul 05, 2018 03:44:25 pm
      Will have a look for that.....even a download as Iā€™ll have plenty time to read in Tenerife from next week into August.

Good luck to you and the boy......I think itā€™s good to have goals as long as they donā€™t convert into pressure....

Agree, one thing Iā€™ve always tried to do is give him room to decide this is what he wants to do. Iā€™ve never pushed him to make this his ā€œthingā€ although I do tell him if he is going to commit to it, to commit all the way which heā€™s done. Still doesnā€™t keep me from getting pretty darn proud of what heā€™s been able to accomplish but Iā€™m sure as a father you get that. 
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #2040: Jul 05, 2018 04:07:39 pm
      Agree, one thing Iā€™ve always tried to do is give him room to decide this is what he wants to do. Iā€™ve never pushed him to make this his ā€œthingā€ although I do tell him if he is going to commit to it, to commit all the way which heā€™s done. Still doesnā€™t keep me from getting pretty darn proud of what heā€™s been able to accomplish but Iā€™m sure as a father you get that. 
      Of course, thatā€™s all you can do.

I probably over-stepped that a bit when I coached the wee guy. It was very political and I let it irk me me that heā€™d let himself get p#ssed off at the cliques etc

Heā€™s not quick but was a force of nature and I pushed him too hard at times and played a part in him chucking it for a while.

Live and learn.....even as parents we donā€™t know all the right answers :)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2041: Jul 05, 2018 04:17:37 pm
      Of course, thatā€™s all you can do.

I probably over-stepped that a bit when I coached the wee guy. It was very political and I let it irk me me that heā€™d let himself get p#ssed off at the cliques etc

Heā€™s not quick but was a force of nature and I pushed him too hard at times and played a part in him chucking it for a while.

Live and learn.....even as parents we donā€™t know all the right answers :)

The great thing about a sport like Cross Country or Track is that for the most part there aren't too many of those cliques going on. You'll get out what you put in that's for sure.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #2042: Jul 05, 2018 05:28:56 pm
      The great thing about a sport like Cross Country or Track is that for the most part there aren't too many of those cliques going on. You'll get out what you put in that's for sure.

Very true.

Itā€™s one of the things I marvel at in great ā€œman managersā€ - that they know the buttons to press for the individuals and also how to amplify the group gynamic.

Iā€™ve not seen anybody better at that than JĆ¼rgen in my time watching the reds.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2043: Jul 05, 2018 05:36:11 pm
      Very true.

Itā€™s one of the things I marvel at in great ā€œman managersā€ - that they know the buttons to press for the individuals and also how to amplify the group gynamic.

Iā€™ve not seen anybody better at that than JĆ¼rgen in my time watching the reds.

Yea, he makes me want to do my best for him when I watch videos ;D
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #2044: Jul 05, 2018 07:21:29 pm
      Did my morning exercises this morning, in Cyprus. I usually leave a puddle, today I left a pool. I'm only 7lb off the halfway point of my weight loss goal, getting fitter is a bonus. Did an improvised workout, in the pool, dropped 2 clothe sizes, I would say 3 but, whilst I can get them on, moving, sitting, any movement is severely restricted.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #2045: Jul 05, 2018 07:47:04 pm
      Did my morning exercises this morning, in Cyprus. I usually leave a puddle, today I left a pool. I'm only 7lb off the halfway point of my weight loss goal, getting fitter is a bonus. Did an improvised workout, in the pool, dropped 2 clothe sizes, I would say 3 but, whilst I can get them on, moving, sitting, any movement is severely restricted.

Itā€™s a journey Rodders.......just keep driving forward mate 👍
      mrgowww
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 27 posts |
      Reply #2046: Jul 09, 2018 09:07:19 am
      Morning mates, can someone explain this? I keep seeing it on the back of different athletes, yet I still don't know what the hell is it...

Quick Reply