Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Fitness thread

Read 225567 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: Fitness thread
      Reply #2323: Apr 13, 2022 03:08:21 am
      Incidentally, you don’t really want to wear running shoes past 500 miles, in fact I tend to replace them around 300-400. Once the foam breaks down in the midsole you are starting to ask for injury.

Yes, heard about the 500 mile rule and I do track it in the apps. In my experience you will get about 250 out of Nike before you start feeling it in your knees but I haven't thrown out a pair of NB yet.  Maybe it's just my fit!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2324: Apr 13, 2022 05:09:34 pm
      Yes, heard about the 500 mile rule and I do track it in the apps. In my experience you will get about 250 out of Nike before you start feeling it in your knees but I haven't thrown out a pair of NB yet.  Maybe it's just my fit!

I think NB definitely are more durable. They make really good trainers. Nike quality control is a little suspect even on their high end race shoes, little disappointing actually. But they  have a good marketing department!
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #2325: Apr 14, 2022 10:12:05 pm
      Incidentally, you don’t really want to wear running shoes past 500 miles, in fact I tend to replace them around 300-400. Once the foam breaks down in the midsole you are starting to ask for injury.
      Think that was my issue - done 600 miles in my last pair, only replaced them last week.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #2326: Apr 15, 2022 07:15:01 pm
      12 miles today last long run before I taper down for race day in two weeks time.

Made fatal error took the wrong turning which meant I had to scale a near vertical incline 9 miles out for almost a mile!
      Thought my legs were going to drop off 🤣
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #2327: Apr 29, 2022 11:38:33 am
      12 miles today last long run before I taper down for race day in two weeks time.

Made fatal error took the wrong turning which meant I had to scale a near vertical incline 9 miles out for almost a mile!
      Thought my legs were going to drop off 🤣
      Let us know how you get on - is it today?

Nearly 2 weeks without running for me, have hated it. Went to a physio the other day and they couldn’t find any issues so seems more of a flare up that only happens when I run.

Hopefully the rest has done the trick. Going to build up distance again - not ideal given I’m 4 weeks out from the marathon but no point rushing back in to it and causing further damage.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #2328: Apr 29, 2022 07:19:26 pm
      Let us know how you get on - is it today?

Nearly 2 weeks without running for me, have hated it. Went to a physio the other day and they couldn’t find any issues so seems more of a flare up that only happens when I run.

Hopefully the rest has done the trick. Going to build up distance again - not ideal given I’m 4 weeks out from the marathon but no point rushing back in to it and causing further damage.

It’s On Sunday mate.

it’s a bummer having to take time out, I remember my first ever 1/2 many years ago I got Achilles tendinitis 2 months before the race, meaning I only had 4 weeks to get the mileage in, wasn’t a good or pleasant experience esp the last 5K 😁.

You are young so will easily make up on lost time.

PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #2329: Apr 29, 2022 07:30:30 pm

Good luck mate! Remember the most important thing: don't crap yourself!  :lmao: :lmao: (and yeah, also try and enjoy yourself too...  ;D)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2330: Apr 30, 2022 12:12:33 am
      Good luck mate! Remember the most important thing: don't crap yourself!  :lmao: :lmao: (and yeah, also try and enjoy yourself too...  ;D)

Saw a woman win a half marathon with sh*t all down her leg. Not sure how long she ran like that but it was worth about 3k dollars to her.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #2331: May 01, 2022 05:30:03 pm
      Finished in 1.52.10 - happy with that as it’s a bugger of a course with hills between miles 7-9 and a uphill finish.

And no didn’t need to do a number 2 😁.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2332: May 01, 2022 05:33:35 pm
      Finished in 1.52.10 - happy with that as it’s a bugger of a course with hills between miles 7-9 and a uphill finish.

That’s a great time. Now don’t take too long of a break and keep at it, you’ll shave a lot off the next one.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #2333: May 01, 2022 09:26:05 pm

Brilliant mate did you get a good buzz off it at the end?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #2334: May 01, 2022 09:28:13 pm

Well done mate.. 👍🏼
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #2335: May 02, 2022 08:55:55 am
      Brilliant mate did you get a good buzz off it at the end?

Relief rather than a buzz 😂

Realised at my age I need to strengthen my legs just as much as my CV, I still had plenty in the tank but at the 10 mile mark my legs just turned to stone so I just couldn’t accelerate or even keep up my 8.20 pace.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2336: May 02, 2022 02:09:33 pm
      My knee has been feeling better and better so I've been able to start back to running (slowly). Need to drop about 20 lbs and get some semblance of fitness back before summer.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #2337: May 03, 2022 10:45:14 pm
      My knee has been feeling better and better so I've been able to start back to running (slowly). Need to drop about 20 lbs and get some semblance of fitness back before summer.
      Brilliant mate same for me after a rest although not counting my chickens yet. Thought I’d build it back up rather than resume where I was in my plan - 5km on Sunday and 10km on Monday then 15km tomorrow morning. All going well a 17 miler on Sunday and really put my knee to the test.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #2338: May 08, 2022 11:58:31 am
      So 17 miles done. Tough today, that forced rest did not do me any favours. Done in 2:16, 4 mins slower than my last one 4 weeks ago. On the plus side my knee held up. Now 3 weeks out from the marathon.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #2339: May 08, 2022 12:01:08 pm
      A little update on my running journey, so I have been running give or take for three months now I think it is, started running when I weighed around 90kg, I now weigh around 79-81kg.

Each week have managed to put in a new PR, most recent was doing a 5k in 25:45 mins.

Considering it took me 12+ mins to run a mile when I first started, pretty happy with those numbers.

Wanted to go for a run today but the booster jab has wiped me out, so just resting up today.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #2340: May 08, 2022 12:11:40 pm
      A little update on my running journey, so I have been running give or take for three months now I think it is, started running when I weighed around 90kg, I now weigh around 79-81kg.

Each week have managed to put in a new PR, most recent was doing a 5k in 25:45 mins.

Considering it took me 12+ mins to run a mile when I first started, pretty happy with those numbers.

Wanted to go for a run today but the booster jab has wiped me out, so just resting up today.
      Really impressive mate, great numbers. I’ve had a similar weight journey in the last few months starting at 90 then down to 81 about 4 weeks ago, now back to about 83/84. Come to think of it that extra kg probably what I was feeling today.

Makes a big difference eh? Bet your confidence is sky high. Keep at it.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #2341: May 08, 2022 12:32:42 pm
      Really impressive mate, great numbers. I’ve had a similar weight journey in the last few months starting at 90 then down to 81 about 4 weeks ago, now back to about 83/84. Come to think of it that extra kg probably what I was feeling today.

Makes a big difference eh? Bet your confidence is sky high. Keep at it.

Nice! You on Strava at all?

Yeah for sure and I just feel better overall because of it. When I get was younger I was often seen as someone with good stamina by after university I never really tapped into it again.

As well as the physical battles it's the mental ones that keep me pushing each week, if you don't know who David Goggins is I reccomend you look him up, absolutely mentality monster Klopp would love him.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #2342: May 08, 2022 02:41:58 pm
      Nice! You on Strava at all?

Yeah for sure and I just feel better overall because of it. When I get was younger I was often seen as someone with good stamina by after university I never really tapped into it again.

As well as the physical battles it's the mental ones that keep me pushing each week, if you don't know who David Goggins is I reccomend you look him up, absolutely mentality monster Klopp would love him.
      I have it mate but don’t use it any more for my runs, found it was always way off telling me I had done 10k in 33 mins - I’m certainly not that fast.

Yeah Goggins is another beast altogether, guy does 200 mile runs. I’m definitely going to try build on the marathon and see what the next level is but running for 2 and a half days is not something I plan on doing.

But yeah it’s definitely as much mental as physical mate, sounds like you’re smashing it though.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #2343: May 21, 2022 02:07:30 pm
      Have been battling tonsilitis on and off recently, either that or acid reflux is causing my throat to swell up ridiculously.

So didn't manage to get my easy runs in this week but just today I did end up putting in my best longest run yet without stopping, 3.24 miles in 26mins:43seconds.

The 5k was done in 25:30 which is a personal record for me, taking off 15 seconds of my last time.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #2344: May 21, 2022 04:08:07 pm
      Just 8 days out from the marathon now. Definitely not got in as many miles as I would have liked due to the knee issues. Aiming for under the 3hr 30 mark, confident I can do it but only if my knee holds up - not been as bad in recent weeks but I’ve felt it on a few occasions.

Anyone else felt nervous ahead of theirs? Mine creeping in now. The fact that the CL final is the night before certainly isn’t helping.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #2345: May 21, 2022 04:17:55 pm
      Just 8 days out from the marathon now. Definitely not got in as many miles as I would have liked due to the knee issues. Aiming for under the 3hr 30 mark, confident I can do it but only if my knee holds up - not been as bad in recent weeks but I’ve felt it on a few occasions.

Anyone else felt nervous ahead of theirs? Mine creeping in now. The fact that the CL final is the night before certainly isn’t helping.

You'll smash it mate, what is done is done.

Just have to keep yourself as healthy and rested as necessary in the run-up and I am sure by the end of it you will be telling us how you smashed your target.

Quick Reply