Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Fitness thread

Read 225596 times
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Re: Fitness thread
      Reply #2346: May 21, 2022 05:15:50 pm
      You'll smash it mate, what is done is done.

Just have to keep yourself as healthy and rested as necessary in the run-up and I am sure by the end of it you will be telling us how you smashed your target.
      Cheers mate. Doing 10 miles tomorrow maybe 6 at some point next week to keep me ticking over but that’s it. Like you said at this stage it’s important to get recovery and avoid injury but I don’t want to be completely idle. Just about finding that balance.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #2347: May 22, 2022 10:03:42 am
      Just 8 days out from the marathon now. Definitely not got in as many miles as I would have liked due to the knee issues. Aiming for under the 3hr 30 mark, confident I can do it but only if my knee holds up - not been as bad in recent weeks but I’ve felt it on a few occasions.

Anyone else felt nervous ahead of theirs? Mine creeping in now. The fact that the CL final is the night before certainly isn’t helping.

Wow 3.30 that’s a serious pace.

Hope all goes well with your taper and let us all know how you get on.

ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #2348: May 22, 2022 10:26:37 am
      Wow 3.30 that’s a serious pace.

Hope all goes well with your taper and let us all know how you get on.
      If you have any tips for the taper mate, would be greatly appreciated. Was out a run today and the knee was more agitated than usual, you reckon I can get away with no running in the last week, maybe some walking and cycling?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #2349: May 22, 2022 03:27:17 pm
      If you have any tips for the taper mate, would be greatly appreciated. Was out a run today and the knee was more agitated than usual, you reckon I can get away with no running in the last week, maybe some walking and cycling?

I have never run a full marathon only ever done 1/2’s and always had a 2 week taper and on the last week just done a couple of tempo runs no more than 5 miles.

Last run done about 3 days before race day so I reckon you could easily get away without doing any long runs a week out.
      Maybe a bit of cardio work on a bike or something similar in the last week to keep your body tuned?

Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #2350: May 24, 2022 10:40:57 pm

I ran a marathon last year. The plan i followed had me run 3 miles the day before the marathon and not much else. It is about saving it for the day. Good luck.

It is a great experience. I was nervous and excited the week before the marathon. My tip for day of race (easier said than done) don't take off to fast. Run your race and don't worry about those around you. Make sure to go to the bathroom before the start.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #2351: May 26, 2022 03:48:39 am
      I ran a marathon last year. The plan i followed had me run 3 miles the day before the marathon and not much else. It is about saving it for the day. Good luck.

It is a great experience. I was nervous and excited the week before the marathon. My tip for day of race (easier said than done) don't take off to fast. Run your race and don't worry about those around you. Make sure to go to the bathroom before the start.

Great advices.  ;)
      The day before I usually do a 15 minutes light jog at a very, very, very slow pace.

@ConzS
      A few additions, if I may.
      1. You'll probably be stressed on Sunday morning (and you might lack some sleep after witnessing our Reds win the CL  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:). It means you might struggle to eat early in the morning. Force yourself! And eat something you can easily swallow. Rice pudding + bananas is a good backup plan.

2. Before the start, do a 2 minutes run to check your laces. Don't tie them too tight, your feet will swell during the race.

3. Protect your nipples. As stupid as it may sound, it can hurt a lot if you don't, and potentially kill your race.

4. Even if you have a pace target, listen to your body. No point pushing yourself too early in the race. You need to let your body get into the race, if that makes sense.

5. Hydrate. Every chance you get. But not too much at once. Small sips. I know it's basic but it's essential.
      Same goes for food, even if you feel like you don't need it YET, eat. Your body will thank you.

6. Try to enjoy yourself! In the tough moments (and there will be some), remind yourself why you're doing this, and picture yourself crossing the finish line.
      xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

Good luck mate!

Edit. Forgot a last one. If you can, carry a blister plaster with you. Hopefully you won't need it, but if you do, it'll be a lifesaver.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2022 03:54:04 am by PTU »
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #2352: May 26, 2022 04:12:56 pm
      Great advices.  ;)
      The day before I usually do a 15 minutes light jog at a very, very, very slow pace.

@ConzS
      A few additions, if I may.
      1. You'll probably be stressed on Sunday morning (and you might lack some sleep after witnessing our Reds win the CL  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:). It means you might struggle to eat early in the morning. Force yourself! And eat something you can easily swallow. Rice pudding + bananas is a good backup plan.

2. Before the start, do a 2 minutes run to check your laces. Don't tie them too tight, your feet will swell during the race.

3. Protect your nipples. As stupid as it may sound, it can hurt a lot if you don't, and potentially kill your race.

4. Even if you have a pace target, listen to your body. No point pushing yourself too early in the race. You need to let your body get into the race, if that makes sense.

5. Hydrate. Every chance you get. But not too much at once. Small sips. I know it's basic but it's essential.
      Same goes for food, even if you feel like you don't need it YET, eat. Your body will thank you.

6. Try to enjoy yourself! In the tough moments (and there will be some), remind yourself why you're doing this, and picture yourself crossing the finish line.
      xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

Good luck mate!

Edit. Forgot a last one. If you can, carry a blister plaster with you. Hopefully you won't need it, but if you do, it'll be a lifesaver.
      Thanks for taking the time to post this mate, really appreciate it and some useful advice there.

1. I’ll not struggle to eat but you’re right in saying I’ll probably have had little sleep regardless of what way it goes on Saturday so not ideal but that’s what you need to endure for this club.

2. Few people have told me about the importance of the laces so it is noted.

3. As for the nipple situation, I must say I’ve not prepared for that but I have never had an issue there albeit not quite ran a whole marathon. But unless this is an issue that pops up only in that last 10 miles or so I’m hoping I’ll be ok.

4. That will probably be what I struggle with because I’ve got that target in my head but I’ll try to remember this.

5. Reading a bit about nutrition and hydration before and during the race and what you have said all matches up. In my training I never drink during the run and, on a side note, I only learned today that you should drink water with your energy gels.

6. I’ll do my best mate I’m sure I’ll have good moments and not so good moments but overall just hope I can get across the line without any knee issues.

As for the blister plaster I’ll make sure to pack one.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2353: May 26, 2022 04:55:16 pm
      Thanks for taking the time to post this mate, really appreciate it and some useful advice there.

1. I’ll not struggle to eat but you’re right in saying I’ll probably have had little sleep regardless of what way it goes on Saturday so not ideal but that’s what you need to endure for this club.

3. As for the nipple situation, I must say I’ve not prepared for that but I have never had an issue there albeit not quite ran a whole marathon. But unless this is an issue that pops up only in that last 10 miles or so I’m hoping I’ll be ok.

4. That will probably be what I struggle with because I’ve got that target in my head but I’ll try to remember this.

5. Reading a bit about nutrition and hydration before and during the race and what you have said all matches up. In my training I never drink during the run and, on a side note, I only learned today that you should drink water with your energy gels.

6. I’ll do my best mate I’m sure I’ll have good moments and not so good moments but overall just hope I can get across the line without any knee issues.

As for the blister plaster I’ll make sure to pack one.
      The nipple chafing is a thing. To be on the safe side, I’d recommend a tape made by Nexcare, it’s kind of rubbery, but a couple of pieces and you won’t have to worry about the bloody streaks down the front of your shirt. As you sweat and lose salt, you will chafe and that’s a really bad area for it.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #2354: May 26, 2022 05:53:17 pm

Btw, I obviously meant don't tie your shoes too tight, but I'm sure you figured that out.  :D

It happened to me twice, both after 2 hours. And it is painful. A small tape to cover your nipples, and you're good to go.

I only learned today that you should drink water with your energy gels.

You'll feel the need to drink anyway, those things make you thirsty.
      Have you tested your gels before? I once made this mistake, and let's just say my body didn't agree with the gels I choose...  :lmao:
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #2355: May 26, 2022 05:57:18 pm
      The nipple chafing is a thing. To be on the safe side, I’d recommend a tape made by Nexcare, it’s kind of rubbery, but a couple of pieces and you won’t have to worry about the bloody streaks down the front of your shirt. As you sweat and lose salt, you will chafe and that’s a really bad area for it.

ConzS, you could also make it fancy...

:lmao:
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #2356: May 26, 2022 07:40:14 pm
      Best of luck Conz for Sunday if I do not post in here before then! Also nice to see the support from other forum members.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #2357: May 26, 2022 09:19:18 pm
      Btw, I obviously meant don't tie your shoes too tight, but I'm sure you figured that out.  :D

It happened to me twice, both after 2 hours. And it is painful. A small tape to cover your nipples, and you're good to go.

You'll feel the need to drink anyway, those things make you thirsty.
      Have you tested your gels before? I once made this mistake, and let's just say my body didn't agree with the gels I choose...  :lmao:
      I’ve got the SIS gels but only used them twice, one on each of my 17 mile runs. Both without water as I don’t take any on my runs. I mean it was manageable but apparently your body doesn’t digest it as well without water. I’ve got a few I can take with me but the event have stations set up with High 5 gels and was planning on taking them - take it that’s not a good idea?

I’ll defo get some tape then cos the last thing I need. Have done runs over 2 hours and not felt any discomfort but better erring on the side of caution.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2358: May 26, 2022 10:19:22 pm
      I’ve got the SIS gels but only used them twice, one on each of my 17 mile runs. Both without water as I don’t take any on my runs. I mean it was manageable but apparently your body doesn’t digest it as well without water. I’ve got a few I can take with me but the event have stations set up with High 5 gels and was planning on taking them - take it that’s not a good idea?

I’ll defo get some tape then cos the last thing I need. Have done runs over 2 hours and not felt any discomfort but better erring on the side of caution.

I wouldn’t rely on any nutrition they provide unless you know it’s not going to mess with you. Best to go with something you’ve tried before and you know it won’t upset your stomach.

PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #2359: May 26, 2022 11:17:45 pm
      I wouldn’t rely on any nutrition they provide unless you know it’s not going to mess with you. Best to go with something you’ve tried before and you know it won’t upset your stomach.

This, 100%. Better safe than sorry.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #2360: May 29, 2022 06:36:18 am
      Today is the day of the marathon and absolutely zero motivation going in to this after last night. Was looking forward to listening to a few podcasts about the game but that’s out the window now so need to find something else to fill the time.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #2361: May 29, 2022 10:59:38 am
      Today is the day of the marathon and absolutely zero motivation going in to this after last night. Was looking forward to listening to a few podcasts about the game but that’s out the window now so need to find something else to fill the time.

You will smash it mate.

To be honest I think this run has come at the perfect time for you, can fully detach yourself from last night!

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2362: May 29, 2022 11:56:27 am

Turn that frustration and anger into motivation. Lower your goal time a bit, make it ambitious and go and win your cup final! You got this!
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #2363: May 29, 2022 04:25:41 pm
      Unfortunately didn’t make my target time of 3:30 but got across the line in the end in 3:59. Legs turned to stone at the 21 mile mark and had to walk a good portion of it. Was struggling to do 30 seconds of running at one point but somehow managed to keep going for the last mile to get me under the 4 hour mark.

A whole mix of emotions/feelings. The overwhelming feeling is sickness right now. A good bit of disappointment because I didn’t make my target but I know I need to do more in training next time - only got up to 17 miles in training through a mix of knee issues and some other stuff. I also feel as if I’ve been on the verge of tears for the last hour - not because I feel like it is achievement (I know it is) but because I have nothing left in my body and think it’s just an automatic reaction. The result yesterday hasn’t helped either, I’m sure I’ll be in bits when I get up the road.

Just about summoned the energy to post in here so I could update all of you who have been so helpful and supportive. It is massively appreciated and helped me get across the line. Hope you’re all coping well after last nights disappointment and thoughts have moved to next season.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #2364: May 29, 2022 05:57:16 pm
      Unfortunately didn’t make my target time of 3:30 but got across the line in the end in 3:59. Legs turned to stone at the 21 mile mark and had to walk a good portion of it. Was struggling to do 30 seconds of running at one point but somehow managed to keep going for the last mile to get me under the 4 hour mark.

A whole mix of emotions/feelings. The overwhelming feeling is sickness right now. A good bit of disappointment because I didn’t make my target but I know I need to do more in training next time - only got up to 17 miles in training through a mix of knee issues and some other stuff. I also feel as if I’ve been on the verge of tears for the last hour - not because I feel like it is achievement (I know it is) but because I have nothing left in my body and think it’s just an automatic reaction. The result yesterday hasn’t helped either, I’m sure I’ll be in bits when I get up the road.

Just about summoned the energy to post in here so I could update all of you who have been so helpful and supportive. It is massively appreciated and helped me get across the line. Hope you’re all coping well after last nights disappointment and thoughts have moved to next season.

You should be proud of what you achieved under the circumstances and besides not many people break the sub 4hr barrier.

You will be better next time around for having had this experience.

PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #2365: May 29, 2022 06:43:17 pm

Your first marathon is all about finishing. You did that, and in under 4 hours, which isn't something everybody can do. You may not feel like it now, but that's an accomplishment in itself. Hopefully, you'll be able to look back in a few days, and fully appreciate what you achieved.

And now you know what it's like, so you'll be able to build on that experience to reach your target next time.  :gt-happyup:

Good luck for the next few days, your legs will make you pay for what you put them through!  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #2366: May 30, 2022 10:25:00 am

You might not have hit your target but you didn't quit, that's what matters. You won that mental battles and it will hold you in good stead for future runs and mental battles ahead you can look back on that feeling of pain and hopelessness and remember I beat that, I kept going, use it to fuel your future runs.

This is only the start, keep your head up and relax l, you don't half deserve it!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #2367: Jun 01, 2022 01:03:44 pm
      Lucky enough to live on the edge of Town so went for a easy 9 miler without music, and it was great listening to the birds and rustling, the miles of wooded countryside without a soul in sight.

Going to do that more often.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #2368: Jun 14, 2022 11:08:01 am
      Just ran a PR for my midweek runs which are just over a mile each day.

Managed to hit 1mile in 7:23 and 1/2 a mile in 3:34.

Don't really focus on speed for those runs unless I feel some momentum, good to get a PR after a little inconsistency over the past weeks.

Also perfect weather for a run here in London, if the sun's out go get it!

Quick Reply