Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Fitness thread

Read 225577 times
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Re: Fitness thread
      Reply #46: Feb 10, 2008 07:51:31 pm
      Finally the wait is over, I have entered my 2nd and 3rd races of the year! It seems like a long time ago that I did the New Year's Day Box Hill Knacker Cracker - 39 days in fact!

So tomorrow I'll be up bright and early for a blast down the M23 for my trip to Henfield and a 9 Miler!

The course is a multi-terrain affair set on a disused railway track which runs alongside a river, add to that some good weather, sounds idealic. :) I had planned to run in a 10 miler in Sidcup - 3 laps on a built up town route - not for me! Glad I dug a bit deeper on my race entries! It will be a good warm up for my next race next weekend in...?  ::)

I'm in a really good mood now and can't wait to get going!  ;)  :f_run:

What sort of training programme do you have to do Andy for say a 10 mile run?
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #47: Feb 10, 2008 08:02:18 pm
      What sort of training programme do you have to do Andy for say a 10 mile run?

Sorry, I know I'm not Andy but I'm going to have my say.
      Training for 10 miles is like training for a marathon so its pretty simple really.

Well start off doing exercise 4 times a week. Obviously you need recovery time otherwise your body is just going to fatigue out and not progress.

Day 1 - Rest day
      (You can do a little gentle cross-training if you're keen.
      However, no high-intensity aerobic exercise or exercise lasting more than 20 minutes.
      Using weights in the gym often works well.
      Alternatively an easy swim is a good option.)

Day 2 - Easy run / recovery run

Day 3 - Tempo run

Day 4 - Rest day

Day 5 - Speed running/ cross training
      (This can often become a rest day or cross train day for general fitness training - but if training for a race should contain a running session even if it is an easy run instead of speed work.)

Day 6 - Rest Day

Day 7 - Long Run

your body ideally needs 36 hours to clear waste products and recover muscle fatigue from a hard session, which why the long run on day 7 is followed by two days of rest and light exercise. Avoid back-to-back hard days.
      Easy recovery runs can be added to your schedule but do not do them for more than 40 minutes, otherwise you'll be back into long run territory.

This should be 12 weeks of training before you try to run 10 miles. Trust me 10 miles is a massive distance, a lot longer than some people think!
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #48: Feb 10, 2008 08:17:59 pm
      Cheers Ra Ra Rafa I seriously wanna do some training to get rid of my man boobs and just generally feel a bit healthier.  I went for a 1.5m jog today as the wether was nice but I don't really have any kind of schedule at the mo, would like to do a few fun runs at some point to help raise money for worthy causes because I have been inspired by RED1028.
      « Last Edit: Feb 10, 2008 09:05:05 pm by AJ »
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #49: Feb 10, 2008 09:01:39 pm
      Well jogging for a marathon is different when jogging to lose weight. With Marathon running you need to do intense exercise but if you want to lose your man boobs then just cut down on crappy foods and do an hours run 3 or 4 times a week in the gym on a tredmill.

Marathon running has a lot of intense cardio exercise involved.. which is different to a simple fat burning exercise!
      But Marathon running would get the best out of you in both ways, but still wouldn't make you any fitter for explosive sports such as football.

My explosive fitness is getting better, its not as much a fat burner than endurance running but it definitley is the more intense type of fitness... less boring and more fun aswell but be prepared to burst your lungs and wake up with sore legs and groins!
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #50: Feb 10, 2008 09:08:55 pm
      Well jogging for a marathon is different when jogging to lose weight. With Marathon running you need to do intense exercise but if you want to lose your man boobs then just cut down on crappy foods and do an hours run 3 or 4 times a week in the gym on a tredmill.

My weight is not that bad really I'm just missing my toned body that I had when I was younger I seemed to have just given up on it really, I like it when I ache in the morning after a run because it means I'm pushing myself that little bit further each time.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #51: Feb 10, 2008 09:34:53 pm
      My weight is not that bad really I'm just missing my toned body that I had when I was younger I seemed to have just given up on it really, I like it when I ache in the morning after a run because it means I'm pushing myself that little bit further each time.

Go gym and do weight training. Having more muscle means you'll have less fat. Did you know that the more muscle you have the quicker and easier it is to burn fat? There is an acid in the muscle which eats away at the fat even though your not doing fat burning exercises. Though stubborn fat you may want to do proper cardio exercise because its not like your going to be exercising your arse or your face when doing weights is it?
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #52: Feb 11, 2008 11:22:22 am
      Go gym and do weight training. Having more muscle means you'll have less fat. Did you know that the more muscle you have the quicker and easier it is to burn fat? There is an acid in the muscle which eats away at the fat even though your not doing fat burning exercises. Though stubborn fat you may want to do proper cardio exercise because its not like your going to be exercising your arse or your face when doing weights is it?

It figures I guess and thanks I will look into doing some weights and lighter tempo runs for improved agility.
      LazyFingers
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 892 posts | 22 
      Reply #53: Feb 11, 2008 04:22:07 pm
      AJ, for fat loss High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT and Google it) is meant to be the or one of the best ways to go, after your diet of course.
      As far as know it's like walking for two minutes and then sprinting near your top speed for one.

I've decided to stop being a lazy fat git and started lifting weights again on Saturday and Sunday, on Saturday I done Deadlifts, BB Rows and Curls, and on Sunday I done Bench Press, Tricep Extensions and the Military Press. I'm in bits now, but I'm still starting the training properly today just to have Monday as the start day. I'll be doing Deadlifts on Monday, Bench on Wednesday and Squats on Friday. And a lot of running in between, my diet won't be great for a while though while I'm trying to sort it out.

Last September I weighed 84KG and I could Bench 100KG once, that was a goal I had for ages. Then I had an operation and couldn't lift for a while, now my one rep max is 75KG, bollocks. And I weigh 89KG! Have to get into it properly now, try losing BF% for about eights weeks, and then try and gain loadsa weight!
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #54: Feb 11, 2008 10:04:20 pm

Last September I weighed 84KG and I could Bench 100KG once, that was a goal I had for ages. Then I had an operation and couldn't lift for a while, now my one rep max is 75KG, bollocks. And I weigh 89KG! Have to get into it properly now, try losing BF% for about eights weeks, and then try and gain loadsa weight!

Bet you can bench press more than me I ain't lifted one for about 3 yrs!
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #55: Feb 12, 2008 08:32:25 am
      I'm gonna try & get back into the weights properly too this week. Since the New Year I've only been doing them in fits & starts, time to get back to the regular routine again.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #56: Feb 12, 2008 07:20:58 pm
      I'm starting to slack now.. been eating tons of chocolate.

Need a good kick up the arse!
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #57: Feb 12, 2008 08:14:04 pm
      I'm starting to slack now.. been eating tons of chocolate.

Need a good kick up the arse!

Yeah practice what you preach!
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #58: Feb 13, 2008 11:04:37 am
      Yeah practice what you preach!

Just had another bar.. but the were lying around the house so thats the last one.. I don't buy crap food but I do eat it if offered to me. Well no more fatty suggary stuff now.. I can concentrate!
      LazyFingers
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 892 posts | 22 
      Reply #59: Feb 14, 2008 07:03:43 pm
      Just had another bar.. but the were lying around the house so thats the last one.. I don't buy crap food but I do eat it if offered to me. Well no more fatty suggary stuff now.. I can concentrate!

I know your pain, I live with my family and the junk they eat is unreal. There's six Snack bars and four Toffee Crisps downstairs just temptin' me, I won't eat them though. I'd rather cook a massive, delicious healthy meal. Mushroooms, wholewheat pasta and two or three chicken fillets.

Apart from weights I'm trying to improve my running speed, I can run 10km but I'm desperately slow. I ran one km in 4 minutes 57 seconds today though, happy with that!

I might do deadlifts, barbell rows and bicep curls later on.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #60: Feb 14, 2008 07:43:05 pm
      Right, I'm getting back in my routine now, just finished a workout & it's the first time this year I've actually trained two days on the trot.

I'm doing a six day routine alternating between two sets of exercises daily then having a complete rest on Sundays. The first day I'm doing chest, shoulders & triceps, then the next day it's biceps, back & legs. I'm not up to going running again yet, I'll probably start in a couple of weeks, but when I do it'll take the place of my leg workout.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #61: Feb 14, 2008 08:25:58 pm
      A six day routine? Doing what?!?!

I do:

Arms & Legs on a monday

Shoulders and Back on a Wedensday

Chest & Abs on a Friday

It covers all parts of my body and there is a recovery day after each workout day and a nice weekend recovery...
      It's not good to exercise 5 times a week, unless a lot of it is light training which should be fine. Yeh running is boring, I started off doing running, running and more running but I hate comming back from the gym feeling all sweaty.
      LazyFingers
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 892 posts | 22 
      Reply #62: Feb 14, 2008 08:30:31 pm
      What kinda weights are ya getting up for the squats and deadlifts Ra Ra?
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #63: Feb 15, 2008 08:06:57 am
      Like I said Ra Ra Rafa, I'm alternating between the two sets of exercises daily. After the second day I'll go back & do the first days exercises again.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #64: Feb 15, 2008 07:34:02 pm
      I still think each muscle needs more than a day to recover. I only really exercise one set of muscle each week. Even though doing my chest does a bit of triceps.. only very lightly.

Ask a trainer there for a program, they know what they are talking about whereas I don't.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #65: Feb 15, 2008 07:37:18 pm
      A set of muscles need 24 hours to recover after a decent length workout.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #66: Feb 15, 2008 07:41:30 pm
      A set of muscles need 24 hours to recover after a decent length workout.

Bollocks. It's best to give your body a proper rest so everything will recover nice and smoothly. You can't do pec exercises on a monday, and then do it again on a Tuesday because there is no way your muscles have recovered repairing themselfs in 24 hours time.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #67: Feb 16, 2008 11:25:06 pm
      He's right mate, hence the training plan I'm on. I'm not a proper expert on the subject but I did a fair bit of sport science for my PE GCSE, 24 hours is sufficient time for muscles to recover.
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #68: Feb 17, 2008 12:18:41 am
      I've just ried to post a report about my last run, the Henfield 9 Mile Fun Run last Sunday attached 3 files of less than 150kb to show you all some pics and it got refused! It was a decent report too and it took ages to do, now I'll have to do it all again!

A nice little one to be going on with today!

The start is on Madeira Drive (9:45am) running towards the Sea Life Centre the route will cross the roundabout and head north up the Old Steine with the grass centre reservation on the right. On the left, the route passes the Royal Pavilion and Marlborough Place. Heading out of Brighton on the A23 along London Road (MILE 1), the route turns left into York Place, turning left into Providence Place passing St Bartholomews Church, through St Peters Street, crossing Cheapside into Pelham Street.   Turning right up Trafalgar Street, which is a uphill incline, then turning left into Kemp Street then takes a meandering route through the North Laines taking in Queens Gardens, North Road (MILE 2), and turning into Jubilee Street, passing the new award winning Jubilee Library – where you will have opportunity to take on water. Continuing south down New Road and Ship Street, the route forks to the left and passes The Town Hall in Bartholomews Square, exiting Brighton Lanes on East Street.

Bursting out onto the coast road and turning right heading westwards towards Hove on the road. Soon after you rejoin the promenade, (passing MILE 3) you will reach Hove’s Peace Statue and The Meeting House Café and keeping to the right, you head down onto the prom Keeping to the right, with Hove Lawns and the colourful beach huts, (MILE 4) you will see your second water station – if you miss it this time, you will be passing here on the return from Hove Lagoon.

Passing the King Alfred Leisure Centre with its distinctive water slide flumes the route guides you onto the north side of Hove Lagoon. (MILE 5) The route turns at the end of Hove Lagoon passing the windsurfing lake to your left, and locally known “Millionaires Row” and the Deep Sea Fishing Centre to your right.

You are now heading east, with the sea now on your right you pass the water station again, (MILE 6) but instead of turning left at the Peace Statue the route continues along the lower promenade heading back toward Brighton Pier. Emerging up onto the coast road just before Brighton Pier and the SeaLife Roundabout, you continue and retrace your steps on the road around the roundabout and back up onto Marine Parade  (NOTE: any final lane and road restrictions that have been put in place for the Half Marathon will be lifted at 12noon - if you are are this point after 12noon you will be directed to run on the pavement by marshalls)  It is important to obey the Marshalls instructions at all times.

Along Marine Parade you will pass MILE 9, at Dukes Mound you will turn and head down the hill, at the bottom of Dukes Mound the route lets you glimpse the end, but the switchback will take you back heading out to Black Rock and Brighton Marina, passing MILE 10 and a further waterstation.

After the water station the route takes you up the path up towards the Cycle Tunnel,  through the tunnel and up along the cliff tops (MILE 11) to Roedean Cafe using the cycle path. When Roedean Cafe is on your left  you will turn right down a fairly steep hill to the under cliff path running behind BrightonMarina following this path (MILE 12) until you reach the Marina.

Following the footpath round to the left at the end of Asda car park, down the sloping path, turning right before the Car Wash and heading up and out crossing the car park toward the Volks Railway station at Black Rock.

The route is now heading westwards passing your last water station, and '800m to go' sign you will be greeted by crowds welcoming you back to Lamp-post 13 and the finish, 13.1 miles later!

A report will follow within the next few... days, hopefully!  ::)  :f_run: :f_run: :f_run:

Quick Reply