Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

José "Pepe" Reina (Liverpool -> Bayern Munich -> Napoli)

Read 235535 times
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Re: Jose Reina Player Thread
      Reply #138: Jan 13, 2008 11:52:40 pm
      In my opinion there was a massive injustice when Cech won champions league goal keeper of the year.......that was Reina's award ! The two came into direct competition on penalties and Reina won.......robbery !
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #139: Jan 14, 2008 07:13:59 am
      If posters think Pepi is eccentric they should of seen Bruce Grobbelaar play , he would be brilliant one minute then your heart would be racing the next minute with his antics.He was a good keeper though as is Pepi Reina.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #140: Jan 14, 2008 08:37:34 am
      World class yes, best in the world no.

Cech
      Casillas
      Buffon
      Reina

But he can be the best in the world if he keeps concentration. Looks different as of late, i dont know why, just does.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #141: Jan 15, 2008 11:16:54 am
      World class yes, best in the world no.

Cech
      Casillas
      Buffon
      Reina

But he can be the best in the world if he keeps concentration. Looks different as of late, I dont know why, just does.

Like all the Spaniards - he would question his future at Liverpool if Rafa left or was pushed (Atletico de Madrid, if they make CL would snap him up - if allowed to)... of course they are distracted - along with many other players at the club.

Carra, Gerrard or Parry need to say something post (massive win) vs Luton tonight to steady the ship... this we concentrate on the pitch bollocks, is just that... bollocks.
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #142: Feb 13, 2008 11:22:24 am
      I think he's world class as well. He's saved us soo many times. I'm suprised that I haven't heard of him before he came to Liverpool. It just shows,  what a great signing by Rafa!

Rafa has a great way of finding these great players. Reina, Skrtel, etc.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #143: Feb 13, 2008 11:24:41 am
      Rafa has a great way of finding these great players. Reina, Skrtel, etc.

Reina wasn't exactly a discovery (Barcelona, Villareal) but Skrtel certainly seems to be... although I'm sure I've seen him in a couple of Bond movies (Jaws).
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #144: Feb 13, 2008 11:26:08 am
      People go on about Wenger no doubt he is good at finding talent but, Wenger Shmenger with his scouting team. Give me rafa's scouting skills over Wengers any day. Mr Benitez knows his players well.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #145: Mar 24, 2008 03:44:15 pm
      pepe reina was a bargain, signed for 6.25 and he is probably the best in the prem and one of the best in europe behind only casillas.

Wouldn't say Reina is all that. Just that our defence makes him look better. When he's been tested he's panicked, he's flapped at things and his descion making is terrible. He's not the same standard as Cech or VDS. Reina doens't get tested much, but when he does he's not actually all that!
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #146: Mar 24, 2008 03:46:58 pm
      Wouldn't say Reina is all that. Just that our defence makes him look better. When he's been tested he's panicked, he's flapped at things and his descion making is terrible. He's not the same standard as Cech or VDS. Reina doens't get tested much, but when he does he's not actually all that!

Think you're being a bit harsh there Ra Ra, did you not see how many one-on-ones he stopped yesterday? He had an off day ok, but he saved certain goals from Rooney and Ronaldo, so not that bad really!
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #147: Mar 24, 2008 03:56:28 pm
      Think you're being a bit harsh there Ra Ra, did you not see how many one-on-ones he stopped yesterday? He had an off day ok, but he saved certain goals from Rooney and Ronaldo, so not that bad really!

Still cost us two goals! Trust me, when he's tested he's not all that great!
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #148: Mar 24, 2008 04:05:35 pm
      Trust me, when he's tested he's not all that great!

I'll trust Rafa mate he sees him every day in training! ;) Only kidding, I agree he made some errors of judgement, but to rate him off after one match is still a bit harsh IMO.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #149: Mar 24, 2008 04:41:27 pm
      Haha i was expecting this. People will all change their views when whoever they are slating saves us in another game. They will then be hailed as priceless, the best etc.

He had an off day as did most of the team. He's still an amazing keeper and is THAT great.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #150: Mar 24, 2008 05:01:18 pm
      Do you just make controversial posts for the sake of it Ra Ra?

Pepe made some world class saves yesterday, when under pressure, he might not be best at punching a ball clear, but look at the size of him compared to most other keepers. He is one of the best keepers in the world and consistently proves it.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #151: Mar 24, 2008 05:53:13 pm
      Do you just make controversial posts for the sake of it Ra Ra?

Controversial? It's called a debate not oh look lets lick everyone elses arse and pretend to agree with them...
      In the prem one thing you do most is catch the ball in a packed penatly box, if he can't handle it then we must keep looking for another keeper.
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #152: Mar 24, 2008 06:01:03 pm
      Controversial? It's called a debate not oh look lets lick everyone elses arse and pretend to agree with them...
      In the prem one thing you do most is catch the ball in a packed penatly box, if he can't handle it then we must keep looking for another keeper.
      But when the keeper is seen as generally one of the best in the world then it is controversial.

Reina prefers to punch the ball, that's his style, he has won the golden gloves award for the last two seasons, I admit that I would like to see him catch more than he does but throughout his career he has generally preferred to punch the ball clear. I wouldn't label it as a weakness because it has generally served him well but if it's a crowded area then it can at times be exploited. I personally feel he is the best keeper we have had for years.

Keepers position is defiantly not a position that needs strengthening in the summer.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #153: Mar 24, 2008 06:50:53 pm
      Reina cracked under the pressure of the game for a while yesterday.

I remember him getting stick at Villareal for his punching ability... will need to work on that at Melwood, because you can bet your bottom dollar the opposition will be pouring-in the penalty box crosses now...

Still very much a world-class keeper... what about the quality sorry Quality truly world-class saves he made apart from the flap or miscommunication with Skrtel.

He will grow from that experience yesterday. I have no doubt personally.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #154: Mar 24, 2008 08:59:56 pm
      Exactly he is still world class he had one off day how often do we see him have one, not many atall.
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #155: Mar 24, 2008 09:08:54 pm
      I'm sure I heard/read that goalkeepers are being trained to punch the ball in crowded areas  because if they try to catch and spill it, there will be a queue of players waiting to put it in the net. I can't remember where I heard that but you'll notice most keepers do that now.
      Judge
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #156: Mar 24, 2008 09:21:52 pm
      Exactly he is still world class he had one off day how often do we see him have one, not many atall.

Point here is that past the years in these games our keepers seem to crack. And they are still the bestr of the world in Europe. Remember Jerzy, 2 major flaws against United, still the man against AC Milan.

Our problmen is, that we let down our keepers. Pepe had too much to handle. With maybe 5 world class saves, he should have given us the benefit over this one, but no, he had two spills and we lost. we did create 1 (one!) good chance. Nowhere near we needed.

Was the main problem the language? Our central defence did back off (as demamded by the keeper?) and Pepe was on to it but nowhere near. Major flaws, needs to be corrected. I'm not pointing individuals, Im trying to find flaws in the team. Maybe Sami would have done better, maybe Pepe would have trusteed more on Sami. But mainly, we need to trust more on these major games to be succesful. We didn't seems a winning team from the kick-off. We had lost it already.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #157: Mar 24, 2008 10:35:34 pm

I can't believe these knee jerk reactions after one bad performance. If you don't think Pepe is in the same class as Cech and Van Der Sar then you must be watching a different player to the one I watch every week. This is a goalkeeper who has kept a clean sheet in over half the games he has played in and won the Barclays Golden Glove award two seasons running.
      « Last Edit: Mar 24, 2008 11:00:16 pm by srslfc »
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #158: Mar 24, 2008 10:52:07 pm
      I can't believe these knee jerk reactions after one bad performance. If you don't think Pepe is in the same class as Cech and Van Der Sar then you must be watching a different player to the one I watch every week. This is a goalkeeper who has kepr a clean sheet in over half the games he has played in and one the Barclays Golden Glove award two seasons running.

Makes me laugh mate.  They'll be praising him this week.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #159: Mar 24, 2008 11:00:00 pm

Isn't that more of a risk though. If you are knocked and you fumble the ball, bang, you're a goal down? I was always taught to punch the ball clear in a crowded 6 yard box, always worked for me.

I think Pepe has said this in an interview as well. Surely our goal keeping coach knows the basics of handling?
      « Last Edit: Mar 24, 2008 11:02:42 pm by paulrobbo »
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #160: Mar 24, 2008 11:05:35 pm
      Isn't that more of a risk though. If you are knocked and you fumble the ball, bang, you're a goal down? I was always taught to punch the ball clear in a crowded 6 yard box, always worked for me.

I think Pepe has said this in an interview as well. Surely our goal keeping coach knows the basics of handling?

One pissed off Liverpool fan your quoting there mate.

Reina made his mistakes but he did make up for them otherwise we would of been at least 5 - 0 down.

Where was Carra & Skrtel when the goals went in?  Skrtel couldn't even F***ing jump with Wes Brown, nevermind Pepe coming out to punch the ball.

Quick Reply